[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for first bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 5122-DEFAULT-l.jpg (254 KB, 850x566) Image search: [Google]
5122-DEFAULT-l.jpg
254 KB, 850x566
dis bike good starter?
http://www.citygrounds.com/poseidon/poseidon-sport-40-road-bike-4400
>>
>>958931
>16 speed claris
What is this sorcery
>>
>>958939
i dont even know what that means
>>
>>958939
>What is 2 x 8
>>
It will work. I've been on rides with strong riders that use a Claris bike It may be worth saving up a bit more for a Tiagra or 105 level alu bike though.
>>
>>958931
Best first bike is a used one, usually found on Craigslist. For $500, you should be able to find something used that blows that poseidon pos away.
The used bike will be a big name-brand with decent components. Those things will help it retain its value, so you can recoup most of your money if/when you decide to upgrade to something new in the future.

Post your local cl + height
>>
>>958944
https://humboldt.craigslist.org/i/bikes
5'10"
>>
>>958947
Worst Craigslist ever
>>
>>958950
I know rite, I've pretty much given up looking on there.
>>
>>958931
As a starter road bike, ya sure looks OK. If you are not sure why you want a road bike, it might not be for you. Weird they don't mention the total weight; are they ashamed or something? Factor in clipless shoes, pedals to match shoes, and probably a saddle in your budget. Tires will be your first upgrade, do that sooner than later and get good ones.
>>
>>958957
would a hybrid or mountain bike be a better option?
I can spend around 500 dollars.
>>
>starter/beginner/first bike
I honestly don't really know what this means. Noobs come here asking this all the time this time of year, and i want to help (based on my own limited experience. but still) but people just seem to get angry when i try to guess at what they want. If my guess does not match up with what a newb wants that means they already have an idea of what of what they want, so they should just go ahead and get that, or else ask more specific questions to get more detailed answers.

Pretty much any bike can be a beginner bike, but a good bike generally costs more than a beginner expects to pay. So there are no good first bikes unless you go second hand, but if you're experienced enough to find a good deal on the second hand market you're not a beginner anyway.
>>
>>958974
I guess I'm asking what the "best" shit tier 500 dollar bike, that I as a beginner can start riding without much practice is.
>>
>>958998
Wiggle has a road bike that doesn't look bad for less than 350 euro. I has shimano tourney.

I myself have a decathlon bike that cost 400 euro and I must say it's a beast for the price, it rides well, and not a single adjustment in 2600 km, just a steerer tube tightening last week that took me 1 minute.

For beginner stuff, all you need is something that doesn't kill you while riding. You can try to find something new with warranty, or you can search something cheaper without warranty that can work too.
>>
>>958998
>without much practice
If this means you can't ride a bike at all, get whatever, lower your seat a little, remove pedals and use it as a kick bike to learn balance. Once you can coast, attach pedals an start pedaling.

If it means you can ride a bicycle then just get whatever and ride it until you gain more confidence.

tl:dr Get whatever.
>>
>>959004
>>959006
alright, thanks bros
>>
File: 00d0d_eAdjXx3Cmqt_600x450.jpg (33 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
00d0d_eAdjXx3Cmqt_600x450.jpg
33 KB, 600x337
any thoughts on this bike??

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/5599202027.html

is his asking price ok? i'm looking for something cheap to get myself started
>>
>>958931
Yo OP, there's a p. decent '83 Univega mountain bike on your local CL:
https://humboldt.craigslist.org/bik/5588336721.html
Can always throw a set of slick tires on there for all-road riding
>>
>>959022
I'm a little suspicions of those brakes. You should test ride it to make sure. You should be able to get good braking power breaking from the hoods.
And i have no idea how old headshocks stand up to time and wear.
Otherwise looks like a good bike. I'd consider it.

Front wheel is on backwards, not that that it matters.
>>
>>958957
Maybe even wheels? I know lots of cheap claris bikes ship with wheels that are factory trued in china and will break spokes, go out of true and essentially just take more money to repair than to buy a new wheelset.
>>
Meets minimum standard of road bike, but not by much. Price is only mediorcre.

>>958960
Northern california is famed for it's offroad trails, it's worth serious consideration to look at your local options..

>>958998
Mountain: For a new 500 bike, aim for an entry level hardtail. Get the best front suspension, and the rest will work itself out.

Road: Look at the wheelset and drivetrain for quality cues. Getting anything good for 500 is going to be a stretch.

>>959023
If this works, and fits, I would take it. Don't take it on anything too rough though. Tire swap for a cheap beater commuter.

>>959022
Shock is an expensive pain in the ass to deal with if it's bad. Replacement is an option, but may require an adaptor. This was a super serious CX racing machine back in it's heyday.
>>
>>959130
How would one identify a quality wheel?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.