[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been frequenting /n/ and after exploring nearby trains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: red-caboose-motel.jpg (51 KB, 705x300) Image search: [Google]
red-caboose-motel.jpg
51 KB, 705x300
I've been frequenting /n/ and after exploring nearby trains and train hotels, I've decided I want to buy a train. I currently live in an apartment but I just inherited $40,000 and I want to buy a piece of property for starters and then a good entry level tank engine. I'm going to build a plated loop or maybe infinity symbol for starters but want to continue building tracks later in life. What is a good cheap and hardy train?
>>
anyone
>>
Not sure 40k is going to cut it, sorry to say m8.
Best you could probably do is a small acreage in the boonies and have a bit of miniature ride on railway.

Also you don't need to bump anywhere near that often, /n/ is one of the slowest boards. Try once every few days or even a week.
>>
>>956137
Build your own hyperloop.
>>
>>956137
>I just inherited $40,000 and I want to buy a piece of property for starters and then a good entry level tank engine.

lol, do you realize how much railroad equipment costs? Even 60+ year old diesel switching locomotives go for well over a quarter of a million dollars.

The best you could hope to do is buy an industrial brownfield site with a siding track still in place. And maybe get a rail speeder.
>>
For $40k you could build a decent backyard ridable railroad, but you'd never be able to afford anything full size, not even close.
>>
this is something fun you could try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gv67mxV5TY
>>
>>956143
>>956145
>bumping twice within 18 minutes of thread creation
An fucking hero.
>>
>>956285
That doesn't appear to have been abandoned for too long. I'd expect much more, and taller, vegetation between the rails.
>>
Let alone finding nice property $40k won't even touch a tank engine even in the worse shape ever. Even if you found one for free the restoration would cost 20 times that if you're lucky. Steam engines are massively expensive and highly costly to run. If you really wanted to buy some land and run a steam engine I'd suggest live steam. If you know nothing about it look into it. Pretty cool stuff. I am a model railroader myself and follow lot's of steam engines and restoration projects near me. If my work schedule permitted I would join a live steam club near me. You could pick up a nice used live steam engine and a few hundred feet of track for what you'd like to spend and they are easier to maintain and cheaper. Just food for thought.
>>
>>956137
>autotrader
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.