[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you slammed your stem yet, /n/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15
File: 3.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
Why haven't you slammed your stem yet, /n/?
>>
>>955779
What is the saddle bottle cage?
>>
File: 7.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>955780
The bracket is made by Minoura. http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-SBH-300-Saddle-Water-Bottle/dp/B001B13J1E/

The bottle cages themselves are Profile Designs Kages. If you use normal cages, the bottles will slingshot every time you hit a bump, so you need some with more gripping force. These are the ones I use: http://www.amazon.com/Profile-Design-KA1-Kage-Black/dp/B0018PJXTU/
There's multiple Profile Designs bottles with Kage in the name, so if you get them, make sure it's the exact kind I linked.
>>
File: 20160512_161514-1.jpg (1 MB, 2933x1705) Image search: [Google]
20160512_161514-1.jpg
1 MB, 2933x1705
Because, cyclocross
>>
>>955779
mostly because my bike fits me perfectly and I'm not put to please a few autists on the section of a Mongolian horseback riding enthusiast chatroom
>>
>>955789
>horseback riding
Fuck you faggot, horses aren't your slaves. Love them as your friends, don't see them as fucking objects to ride. That's what bicycles are for.
>>
File: moser.jpg (2 MB, 2910x2143) Image search: [Google]
moser.jpg
2 MB, 2910x2143
Because slamming stems is a threadless meme and no one ever slammed quill stems.

Some better questions -Why are you pretending your hiten/ plain gauge shitter is a modern race bike? Why do you have a speedo and why have you cabled it so badly? Why do you use old shit tier rectangular brake blocks? Why don't you have a seat tube bottle cage (hose clamps)? Why do you block your rack top and your light with ugly unstable trifag bullshit? Why don't you get some aero brake levers? Why do you force memes?
>>
>>955792
Fuck you faggot, bicycles aren't your slaves. Love them as your friends, don't see them as fucking objects to ride. That's what cars are for.
>>
>>955779
Because my bike is the appropriate size for me and I have been masterfully fit to it.
>>
>>955800
Fuck you faggot, death cages are for faggot fucks
>>
>>955795
>Because slamming stems is a threadless meme and no one ever slammed quill stems.
Stay casual, Fred.
>Some better questions -Why are you pretending your hiten/ plain gauge shitter is a modern race bike?
I'm not. That's what my Madone is for.
>Why do you have a speedo
I don't.
>and why have you cabled it so badly?
How should I cable it?
>Why do you use old shit tier rectangular brake blocks?
Because it's an 80s bike and I still have the brake pads it came with. (not sure if they're stock, but they were on it when I bought it from some guy) They work fine, no need to replace them until they wear out.
>Why don't you have a seat tube bottle cage (hose clamps)?
Because three bottle cages is sufficient (but two is not). And because that would look stupid and likely be insecure.
>Why do you block your rack top
I only use my rack for panniers.
>and your light
I use transparent water bottles. The light shines very brightly through them (about equally as brightly as without them).
>with ugly unstable trifag bullshit?
It's not ugly or unstable. It's extremely secure. I also don't think it's the same kind of mount as trifags use, but I'm not certain. I have that setup because I go through a lot of water when I ride. I have four bottle cages on the bike that I normally use for my long rides.
>Why don't you get some aero brake levers?
Because I'm not a fucking fred and I have no intention of using this bike to race. That's what my Madone is for.
>Why do you force memes?
What memes am I forcing, you fucking downtube?
>>
>>955779
can you just fuck off, no one is proud of you for slamming you stem, ive seen you make at least five posts about your 'OTS with a slammed stem', its not something to be that proud off, especially when it looks as shit as it does in your bikes case.
>>
>>955819
>being this jealous
>>
>>955780
I have that cage adapter sitting in my house collecting dust. If you're located in Murica I'll sell it to you for $12.00 shipped.
>>
File: proper-trekking-bike.jpg (97 KB, 482x482) Image search: [Google]
proper-trekking-bike.jpg
97 KB, 482x482
>>955779
>Get race/cx/mountain bike.
>Convert it to touring/trekking bike

Why do americans do this?
You guys don't have proper trekking/touring bikes?
>>
>>955856
>proper trekking bike
>flat bars
>>
>>955872
Tell that to Shimano.

http://www.cyclingabout.com/2017-shimano-deore-xt-t8000-touring-trekking-groupset/

Only Americans and Brits tour on drop-bars due to an old obsession with 60s French randonneuses. 90% of the market is butterfly or curved flat-bars with ergon grips and bar ends.
>>
>>955856
>proper trekking bike
>alumeenium
>IGH
>>
>>955882
Most of those have no idea about ergonomics, think drop bars look scary and never actually go longer distances on their bikes.
Butterfly bars are good, and flat bars can be good for certain kinds of treks but those are a definite minority.
>>
>>955886
>those are a definite minority

Shimano is not in the business of losing money. If you consider the global market, not just the American one, there is maybe ten butterfly/flat-bar tourers sold for a single drop-bar one. Just check German/Dutch online bike stores.
>>
>>955888
Your point being?
>>
>>955779
If the owner of that bike is actually comfortable riding for hours on end with it like that, then he's probably got the wrong size frame (too small, I'd say). Also supported by the saddle fore-aft being as far back as the rails will allow. Poor fool, probably never owned any other bike, has never had a proper fitting done, doesn't know the difference, and probably thinks that the pain he suffers riding it like that is normal.
>>
>>955783
Cut your steer tube you degenerate
>>
Here's why:
(this content shamelessly stolen from Sheldon Brown)

Danger!

Note: Steerers are butted at the bottom, so the hole in the steerer is constant-diameter until near the bottom, then the walls taper inward in the butted section.

It is vitally important that the steerer extender (or stem) is not inserted so far that the wedge is installed where the steerer is narrowing, or it could come loose unpredictably.

When this happens, only the edge/corner of the quill or wedge contacts the steerer, and it is trying to "grab" a slanted surface.

This is sometimes a problem on smaller frames if you try to insert the stem or a stem riser too far down into the steerer.
>>
>>955856

There's a huge difference between Euro/American bike tourists

Euro has trekking bikes, butterfly bars, IGH, lights

Americans want drop bars, derailleurs

I don't know if our terrain is different. Or more windy? Ego issues? I know here in the USA butterfly bars are only used by elderly people with bad backs and nerds. So maybe it's a masculinity thing
>>
>>955936
I see. Well I think you guys should give it a try sometime maybe. They're a tad heavier, and a bit slower, but a lot more comfortable to ride, because of a more upright position. They are quit popular here in the Netherlands (also with derailleur). Bikes like OP's are almost gone since the hybrid/trekking design came into existence.
I love however how you guys restore old relics, it shows love for the bike and some are real gems.
I think it's a bike cultural difference, allthough one could agrue that we actually have a bike culture and you don't. ;-)
>>
File: J Jonah Smugeson.jpg (34 KB, 635x353) Image search: [Google]
J Jonah Smugeson.jpg
34 KB, 635x353
>>955779
>mfw I actually raised the stem on my cross commuter bike and got rid of back pain from longer trips
Or maybe the saddle is too far back?
>>
>>955936

Butterfly bars look like a medical device. Might as well use grey tires too.
>>
>>955949
I think it has more to do with bicycles being a lot more popular in Europe than in America. The sheer size of the market means that a distinct style of bike for tourists has developed while, in the US, tourist bikes are still mostly derivatives of road bikes. In America bikes are still often considered toys. Many are still sold without lights as if they weren't considered proper road vehicles.
>>
>>955894
that you're a dense, obtuse imbecile
>>
>>955906
I am the owner. I have 3 other bicycles. The frame is the correct size for me (slightly on the big side of the acceptable range; charts would put me at 56-58 or so and it's 58). The bike is quite comfortable for me. However, I don't normally use it for my long rides. I'll do up to like 100km-150km on it. On my longer rides I usually use a different bike (which has flat bars).
>>955894
His point being that drop bars are generally not ideal for touring. And he's correct.
>>955936
The Eurofags are right about bars but IGHs are for faggots.
>>955949
I mostly agree with you. I love my OTS (in the OP pic) but I would use one of my flat bar bikes if I was doing a multi-day tour.
>>955999
Selling bikes with lights is stupid. Different people prefer different styles of lights. Get the lights separate.
>>
>>956013
>IGHs are for faggots
Justify yourself. If they don't fit your needs then fine, but for some people they're great.
>>
File: Theunisse.jpg (799 KB, 1600x1551) Image search: [Google]
Theunisse.jpg
799 KB, 1600x1551
>>955999
I think you're right. Here in Holland everybody from young to old rides. The market is a lot bigger. So they cater to everybody not only the "hardcore". I suppose in US you have te be more hardcore to ride. Look at the messenger guys, or bmx and was the mountain bike not an American invention? Downhill trails for sure right? You guys are crazy man ;-)

I'm sure the good bike infrastructure and the fact that car drivers are used to cyclists are the reasons for that infograph. I would probably not want to ride in US on public road. Especially not after seeing that show on discovery about a guy cycling across the US in record time untill he got hit in the back off his head by a mirror from a passing car and lay in coma for a while.

I think maybe US is simply too big to have cycling be populair. An hours drive in a car is not a lot for you, but here you cross half my country in an hour in a car.
>>
>>956026
>I think maybe Americans are simply too big to have cycling be populair.

ftfy
>>
>>956017
>but for some people they're great
And those people happen to be men who enjoy having dicks in their assholes.
>>
>>955795
BTFO
T
F
O

kill yourself, OP
>>
>>956186
See >>955807
>>
>>956277
I did.

It's shit.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>956305
>being this jealous that you don't have an OTS with a slammed stem
Stay mad, faggot.
>>
>>955779
slamming the stem only matters if your bike is good, with all the ugly shit on that bike slamming the stem is hardly noticeable
>>
File: 1396367500100.jpg (72 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1396367500100.jpg
72 KB, 500x375
I don't know what are u talking about, BRO
>>
>>957326
>TT frame
>Road bars
kek I've seen one of these on ebay before, seller clamed he wanted a really fast road bike so he bought a TT bike and modded it.
>>
>>957326
>>957330
The shitty low profile rims make it even better
>>
>>957330
that's not a tt frame
>>
>>957330
thats just an s5, no tt here
>>
>>957326
Angle on that stem is huge. Would destroy someone's back if they rode that for even a minute.
>>
>>957377
A dentist's back, sure.
>>
File: tumblr_ltjcfm0ryS1qaythmo1_500.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ltjcfm0ryS1qaythmo1_500.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
>>957326
CASUAL
A
S
U
A
L
>>
>>955779
I'm a fat fuck and I can't breathe if I slam it.
>>
>>955779
I'm sure that rear light is really visible behind that bottle.
>>
slammed quill stems look like shit
>>
>>957291
Except there is nothing ugly in the slighest about that bicycle, faggot. It's fucking beautiful.
>>957326
Saw off that stem faggot
>implying it's your bike
>>957330
LOL
>>957427
>what is steering
>>957469
Fair enough. Stop living such an unhealthy lifestyle, stop being fat, then slam your stem.
>>957470
Transparent bottles (two of them btw) so yes, it is very visible. I've tested it by standing back with the light on and it is very bright through the bottles.
>>957471
You're a casual shitter.
>>
>>957427
should have just put the bar on the floor next to the bike
>>
File: casuals.jpg (167 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
casuals.jpg
167 KB, 1280x854
>>957477
>>
File: fuckingplebs.jpg (28 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
fuckingplebs.jpg
28 KB, 720x479
>not slamming your stem all the way through your fork
>>
>>957326
my back hurts just looking at that
>>
>>957487
>>957490

I can't even imagine

The seating position has to be bent nearly double, hands down around the knees. How can you breath efficiently with your chest and stomach so compressed?

How do you bend your neck far enough to really see forward? You must just stare at the top of the headset the whole time, hopping it doesn't bash your teeth out when you wreck into something.
>>
>>957511
u mount a dildo on the headset and slam it down ur mouthpussy while u ride
>>
File: USSR Cinelli.jpg (68 KB, 366x730) Image search: [Google]
USSR Cinelli.jpg
68 KB, 366x730
if u have a stem at all or even hadnlebars i mean honestly what are you doing
>>
>>957542
Not even a half drop

What a faggot
>>
>>957511
>How do you bend your neck far enough to really see forward?
You don't need to see forward when you're alone on a velodrome. If you ride fixed on the road you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>957562
>alone on a velodrome
>>
>>955807
>And because that would look stupid and likely be insecure.
your entire posting history looks stupid and is likely insecure
>>
>>957333
>muh aero deep sections
kys low profile rims are the shit
>>
File: cowfud.jpg (317 KB, 1144x640) Image search: [Google]
cowfud.jpg
317 KB, 1144x640
soslamed,, isitonit.
>>
>>960761
baconrider wins the thread
>>
>>960761
Nice, I am proud of you~ Btw is it true that you're vegan?
>>
>>955885
>el steel is el reel,ese

fuck off spic
>>
>>957427
Sometimes I try to draw the most aero bike I can as a joke and this looks exactly like it
>>
>>955779
I feel like most of the people who talk about 'slamming' their stems don't know much about other factors that affect where their hands are just as much as spacer height.

For instance:
-head tube length
-stem angle
-handlebar shape
-angle of handlebar
-shifter placement

At least the dorks on cycling forums talk about 'how much drop you run' i.e. The 'drop' from your saddle to your bars.
>and those guys are intolerable dentist faggots
>>
>>960871
My bike has more drop than any of those faggots on the cycling forums. My bike has literally more drop than Lance Armstrong's highest-drop bike. But even that's nothing compared to how fast I'd drop you in a cat6, faggot.
>>
>>960879
How much exactly tho?
>>
>>960880
More than Graham's number. Literally more Planck lengths than there are quanta in the universe.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.