[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Used bike to tune up for a tour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: trek500.jpg (39 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
trek500.jpg
39 KB, 600x360
Doing a bike tour from NYC->Canada next month, trying to buy an old bike on craigslist and tune it up in time. Choices right now are between a Trek 500 for $180 (pictured). cheap and 18 speed is nice but no rack mounts.

Alternative is this old af Raleigh for $350. 14 speed (enough for the tail i reckon) and includes racks, less work in general. Picture in next reply

Of course a classmate wants to get rid of his Schwinn LE Tour II but won't provide specs and he's quite a bit shorter so I won't say anything there. People have recommended that I just get a Charge Plug that's on sale right now but I'm kind of looking forward to tuning something old up. Plus it's cheaper
>>
File: raleigh.jpg (31 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
raleigh.jpg
31 KB, 600x448
Here's the Raleigh.

Also my friend offered me free gatorskins but I'm not sure what size they are yet.
>>
>>955731
>Plus it's cheaper
No, it's not cheaper if you want to get it to mechanically like new condition, completely ignoring cosmetics. Especially not at $350 for that piece of shit.
>>
>>955734
You think?
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1185342_-1___000000

$700 seems like a bargain for sure, so I'm inclined to believe you, but are you sure the Raleigh would cost $400 to get into working condition? Not that their performance would be comparable obviously.
>>
>>955741
I'm saying you could buy a new bike with similar functionality but no wear for a similar price. The charge is both an upgrade in function, and new.
>>
>>955731

Honestly, unless you want to build it up for shits and giggles, most of the time I'd suggest just going for a newer bike for touring.
>>
File: Message_1457741727642-1.jpg (2 MB, 2816x1776) Image search: [Google]
Message_1457741727642-1.jpg
2 MB, 2816x1776
I got this for 35$ and it only needs new cables, housing, tubes, and tires. You can definitely do better
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.