[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my canadian brethren i hate dealing with fucking sport kek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: Image 869 869.png (54 KB, 762x277) Image search: [Google]
Image 869 869.png
54 KB, 762x277
my canadian brethren

i hate dealing with fucking sport kek but they better than walmart

>buy bike from them
>get about 4 months use out of it
>rear tire is worn all the way down and need new tire
>already needs a "minor tune up"
>tell the "technician" theres grinding sounds coming from back
>makes note of it
>pick bike up $120 later
>still feel the grinding
>take wheel off my self
>inspect hub
>axle is bent
>tfw gonna cost at least another $50 for the part and labor
>tfw paid $240 for the bike
i swear if dont know how to fix the bike yourself theres no point in buying a bike
JUST
>>
>>955296
Here in Toronto you can get a used bike from a store and there is a 14 day warranty where they'll fix everything on it.
>>
>spending more than you would at LBS and not have it done right
baka desu senpai
>>
>>955310
>14 days

it lasted longer than 14 days so that is out of the question

>>955312
the only LBS close to me looks sketchy as fuck everything in there looks 20 years old
>>
>>955296
I don't know why you would buy a bike at any major chain store. Most of the time your gonna get fucked big time. There has to be a good cycling store around you. Shit, i live in a small-ish town on Vancouver Island and there's at least 10 bike stores around. Your not looking hard enough. Craigslist is always an option too.
>>
how much do i have to spend for a not complete shit bike?
what is the minimum
$400

what can i do with old bikes that dont work is there a way to sell them for parts?
>>
>>955296
I got bad news for you, OP: Even if you go to an expensive shop, you're just as likely as not to get shit 'mechanics' who can't seem to find their own ass with both hands, let alone fix a bike correctly. Here's a short list of the stupid things so-called 'mechanics' have done to my bike:

>'helpfully' added lube to my chain, without cleaning it first, and without bothering to check what I was using (I use Dumonde Tech Lite, they put some water-based wax shit on it). Had to go home, clean the chain completely, and re-lube it.
>Replaced front derailleur cable and housing. They cut the housing too goddamned short, so it would bind if you turned the handlebars far enough. Had to go home, cut it all off, replace it again myself.
>'Adjusted' my front and rear derailleurs. And made them shift worse, and drop the chain more often.

Note that these things were only because I was out and about and needed to get home, so I let them fix something. Normally I do everything myself, like I've always done for every vehicle I've ever owned (bikes, motorcycles, cars, trucks).

Learn to fix your own bikes. You'll save yourself a bunch of headaches.
>>
>>955337
>how much do i have to spend for a not complete shit bike? what is the minimum

Go on craigslist and look, i got an old 82 nishiki for 120. It needed some minor tunes but it works fine. We can't tell you what the minimum is.

>what can i do with old bikes that dont work is there a way to sell them for parts?

Once again, craigslist, list it as a parts bike and sell it cheap. Like come on, this stuff is basic knowledge.
>>
>>955341
>would bind if you turned the handlebars far enough

are mechanics making minimum wage or something
>>
>buy new fork and headset online
>$900
>take to LBS for installation
>get back installed with scratched stanchion

Great, thanks.
>>
You know rockey mountain is manufactured in Canada right?
>>
>>955337
What kind of bike?
>>
>>955426
hybrid
>>
>>955428
The cannondale quick is a really sturdy hybrid. They have a couple models that come complete for around 500$
>>
>>955431
i guess shimano is the cheap shit?
>>
>>955436
Cheap, but reliable.
>>
File: Dick seat.jpg (368 KB, 1195x1600) Image search: [Google]
Dick seat.jpg
368 KB, 1195x1600
>>955296
>be me
>acquire bike frame
>amass parts
>use my two hands and basic bike repair tools
>use home made bike stand
>put the fucking bike together
>ride it every day
>adjust cable tension, adjust derailleurs, pull the bottom bracket and other shit as needed

You're all literally doing it wrong. Stop giving those 'amazing' pro mechanics your hard earned dollars. This is just like that downtube who started the thread about introducing his rear der. into his back wheel then whining about the bike shop who build the bike. There is really no reason why you're paying any of those faggots a dime to do anything on your shit- stop trusting people and stop paying. Filthy casuals pay for their bikes to be repaired. Don't be a filthy casual.
>>
>>955443
I don't know why, but adjusting gears seems like some dark art to me, I've tried doing it multiple times on different bikes and ended up bringing them into shops fir adjustment. All that fiddling with correct wheel position and the amount of diferrent screws make it hard to figure out what is actually wrong with it
>>
>>955461
a retard on the internet like myself probably isn't going to fully convince you other wise, but it really isn't difficult once you understand how derailleurs work at a very basic level
>the H-labeled screw ("high limit screw") limit screw sets where the derailleur sits in the hardest gear so your chain doesn't fall off the gears toward the outside of the bike
>the L-labeled screw ("low limit screw") limit screw sets where the derailleur sits in the easiest gear so your chain doesn't fall off the cogs toward the inside of the bike
After these limits are set, they don't need to be adjusted again unless you put a different wheel on your bike
>a tighter cable pulls the derailleur closer inboard, to the center of the bike
>a looser cable lets the derailleur spring out further toward the outside of the bike
Balancing these two opposing forces with the little thumb twisty bit is what allows you to shift reliably in both directions

Please don't throw in the towel yet anon, because everything also seems like black magic to me until I force myself to try again until I succeed. It wasn't very long ago that I thought hubs and bearings were way to fucking tedious and complicated to learn, but it is really just an illusion. The indimidating wall of "only a bike mechanic can do this" crumbles very very easily once you muster the courage to take a few hours or less to learn the basics of what you are dealing with (assuming you have the tools for the parts you are working on).
>>
File: Screenshot_20160513-095147.png (440 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160513-095147.png
440 KB, 1080x1920
>>955473
Thanks, I'm gonna buy this(is it a terrible choice for commuting everyday? 5 miles, but a msassive hill to climb) later today, I used to own it and after I bought it I took off the mudguards and gears got misaligned after I put back the wheel. After 3 hours of watching youtube tutorials and fiddling with it I gave up and brought it to a technician who did it(poorly) for me. It's also known to have misaligned gears out of the box.
>>
>>955482

Don't buy a new bike that cheap. It's guaranteed to be shit.
>>
>>955482
dont make the mistake i made with a cheaper bike especially if you are a bigger guy

you will blow out the hub or cranks

the back end just wont last

the money you save you will spend on repairs in 6 months

i learned the hard way
>>
>>955296
> there are actually people so dumb that they can't fix a bike
How does one function being mechanically inept? I don't understand how anyone can afford to be dumb these days. Bikes are retard simple in terms of diagnosis and maintenance, do you drive a car by chance?
>>
>>955605
no i dont drive a car i usually dont try to fix it because i make it worse
but this is what i did

took off the free wheel and opened it and cleaned, and repacked it it some grease

i put it on and now theres grinding when freewheeling

if i pedal backwards while stationary there is no grinding

JUST
>>
>>955482
don't buy from fucking halfords, unless it's a top end boardman or 13.
>>
>>955296
That's what you get for not going to a proper bike store.
>>
>>955625
some people like me need to learn the hard way

i will never ever buy another bike at a chain store

>call sport check to see how much it would cost to replace the axle
>15 for part and 15 for labor plus tax
>would have to wait a day or 2
>go to LBS
>guy charges $40 flat and its done in a few hours

forgive my sins /n/
>>
>>955296
where are you located bro? i can try to help you out with maintenance shit if your close by.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.