[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shifters, how much does it matter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
Hi, I'm a young folk trying to start riding a roadbike, I've been ridink MTBs all my life but I want to try something new.
I've been reading a lot to know what should I look for as my first bike.

But, I would like to know, how important is the shifter. Do I HAVE TO get at least a Shimano 105 groupset, or I'll be fine with Sora or Claris?
>>
The latter
>>
The shifting is important if you like to shift, even more, if you like to shift alot. The less you shift the less you have to care about precision and speed
>>
11 speed cassette means you need an 11 speed shifter. That's the only reason why you HAVE to get it. But regardless, get the 105 shifters. They're hella nice desu.
>>
OP here.

The thing is, that I don't if I will like to shift more or less... I've been doing MTB so the concept is completly different. What afraid me the most is the quality and the life of the shifter. I know Shimano is synonim of quality, but maybe the difference of 105 in quality/price is soooo big that I should definetely go for it.

I have a budget of 500 euros, aprox. So if I want 105 i'll need to look something used. In the other hand, wth 500 euros I can find some decent bikes with Sora or Claris in shops that need to clean their stock.

Thanks for the replys. And excuse my englando.
>>
>>954834
for 500 you could get the whole groupset, if you are about to spend 500 bucks on a whole bike than drop the thought of getting something new, you may get something used for 500 bucks with an older 105 or even Ultegra group if you are lucky but even then i wouldn't recommend it because people tend to say that their used bikes are in great condition and then when you are in need to replace some stuff such as the bottom bracket you get fucked over because its seized to oblivion
>>
Why not Shimano Tiagra? https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-tiagra-4700-groupset-90612.html

It's much cheaper than 105 and you probably won't even ever know the difference. It's got some pretty good reviews. I'm getting the whole groupset to upgrade my bike from the shit tier components it had.

If you do want to get a 11 speed groupset keep in mind that your 10 speed rear hub won't be compatible with the 11 speed cassette. This is mostly what kept me from getting a 105 groupset and not so much the price.
>>
>>954838

OP:

Yes, that's what I thought. I've almost take the decision. I'll probably go for a new bike and in the futre if I feel that is working fine, upgrade the groupset.
Regards
>>
>>954842
OP:

Fuck, yes I forgot about the Tiagra. But for what I've seen (at least in my country, Spain) is not very common, I mean. I didn't find many offers about second hand bikes with tiagra - the new ones are quite expensive - and many more offers with 105.
>>
I have sora on a cx bike of mine and it has been fine for 2 years now. I havent even had to re-adjust anything. I also have 105 on my road bike which gets quite a bit more use and it is a little quicker when I am shifting.. it is also probably a bit lighter weight. Thing is in this modern age of shifting everything pretty much just works. With more dollars spent you really only get lighter weight and maybe a little more responsive. In fact the more costly stuff seems to be easier to break, bend or otherwise screw up... so if you treat your bikes like shit like some of us do getting the highend stuff just isnt worth it.... then again if you really enjoy cycling, have the money, and treat things nicely then by all means buy the high end stuff.
>>
>>954826
105 is exceptional, only way to step up is dura ace or SRAM force
>>
>>954853
Maybe I missunderstood you but, are you saying that I won't be able to upgrade my shifters in the future if I pick a low budget one in the begining?
>>
i wouldnt recommend upgrading, because the groupset itself is kinda more expensive buying alone. get a used one.
>>
>>954864
All 11 speed shimano is compatible with all 11 speed shimano. Get 5800 and if you have some money get a 9000 fd, but 105 is just fine
>>
>>954864
no I was just saying that in this day and age even the cheap stuff works just fine and can last you a long time, but if you want and can afford highend do it.
>>
>>954826
Riding road bike for fun and exercise. I've got Sora, 105 and Ultegra Di2. I have to say once I got 105 I couldn't go back to Sora. And honestly the difference between the Ultegra and 105 is non-existent to an amateur. Electrical shifting is a really nice feature though and I don't regret splurging on them.
>>
>>954910
the only real difference between ultegra and 105 is the finish and carbon
>>
>>954862
This(Dunno bout SRAM,never used it)
The only thing ultegra has over 105 is that is has more trickled down tech of the Dura-ace group and maybe a bit of
>muh grams
>>
>>954844
Current Sora (3500) or any year Tiagra is just as functional as the equivalent old 105 for a given number of speeds. Sora 3400 should be avoided though. Claris is for people that can't afford better.
>>
>>954939
With Shimano, it's it's the same tech tier, it basically comes down to grams, and cassette/chainring options, which are all compatible with each other anyways.
>>
When I first got my road bike it had Sora. I quickly decided that I wanted to try a new groupset. I too was on a budget. I pieced together some 105 parts off of eBay. It shifts a lot smoother. Makes riding a heck of a lot more enjoyable. Upgrading your bike gets addictive. Now I want the new 105 11speed group. Fucking bicycles.
>>
>>954826
if you ride a lot
and you live in an area with lots of hills with highly varied grades where you will be shifting constantly, higher end shifters are highly appreciated

flat stuff, less than 100 miles a week or fun riding and not training, some of the lower grade stuff is fine

Ultegra is probably the best bang for buck group out in terms of performance
>>
>>954936
this isn't true at all.

Ultegra shifts much nicer than 105. Its smoother and quicker.

Lower teir groups in this day and age are very reliable and durable and work very well, they just shift 'clunkier' and slower the lower down you go.
>>
>>954959
>Ultegra is probably the best bang for buck group out in terms of performance
You mean 105. This stupid meme should die. 105 + $300 worth of extra wheelset budget is better than Ultegra lesser wheels.
>>
>>954862
I have Force, I've had 105 and ridden dura ace a bunch.

Force is better than 105 but pale comparison to dura ace. Dura ace is fucking butter.

Sram is fucking garbage anyways interms of reliability. Can't wait to get a new Ultegra group.
>>
>>954965
>105 but pale comparison to dura ace
It feels nicer, but there's no functional difference unless you're trying to shift the front under full power. You'd be hard pressed to say Dura Ace made you any faster, or let you shift more often, or faster. The hoods are marginally more comfortable due to the improved compounds. It just feels more refined, but functionally the same.
>>
>>954967
If you are racing, its extremely noticeable. There is so much less slop in the higher end shifters, that tactile feedback is crucial when you are racing.

In putzing around, it doesn't matter much in terms of performance, but it makes riding more enjoyable even if you aren't racing.
>>
File: getaloadofthisdowntube.jpg (5 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
getaloadofthisdowntube.jpg
5 KB, 258x195
>>954962
>he has carbon wheels but no power meter
>>
>>954826
According to wiggle a 5800 complete groupset with a short cage rd, braze on FD in polished silver is $359.99

The cheapest I can find a complete Sora groupset with a clampon FD and long cage Rd is $279.99

Is it worth it to save such a small bit of money?
>>
>>954967
Huge difference I went from 5700 to 7800

Even little shit like the dura ace cassette being titanium instead of plated steel were different.

If more people actually bought components rather than just looked at pictures of them on the internet

Then shit like 105 is the same thing as dura ace rumors will be quickly dispelled
>>
>>954961
Just degrease and relube your 105 Shifters and you'll notice a much smoother and crisper level way beyond Ultegra stockshifters. Their Internals are mostly identical, even if you take apart a RSX STI you'll see that the internal mechanisms didn't change for decades! The Technology hasn't been improved yet Shimano takes the sheckels out of your wallet
>>
>>954987
Dura ace is the best. There is no doubt about that, but ultegra and 105 are functionally the same. I've got 105, my teammate has ultegra, and my coach has dura ace. All of these are 11 speed and I couldn't feel the difference between 105 and ultegra. Maybe slightly better at the front.

If you want higher performance get a mix of da shifters and fd with whatever everything else
>>
>>955008
Why have none of you fags read the arts cyclery blog
SRAM- http://blog.artscyclery.com/road/sram-road-components-where-to-spend-your-money/
SHIMANO - http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/shimano-road-components-where-to-spend-your-money/
CAMPY http://blog.artscyclery.com/road/ask-a-mechanic-campagnolo-road-components-where-to-spend-your-money/
>>
File: fuck off.jpg (100 KB, 702x467) Image search: [Google]
fuck off.jpg
100 KB, 702x467
>>954987
Didn't i see a post from you saying you prefer to ride on the footpath when you can? I imagine you're like some out of shape mid 30s know it all, what are you doing riding race gear?
>>
File: seig.png (179 KB, 1155x852) Image search: [Google]
seig.png
179 KB, 1155x852
>>955008
>>955028
Reminder
>>
>>955008
He's arguing there's a functional difference between titanium and steel.

>>954973
>noticable
Yes
>makes any fucking difference at all
No

This is like saying the your team colors are noticeable and therefore make a difference.
>>
>>955047
oh yeah.. nigger.
ultegra cassette will last the longest and has the same shift ramps probably
>>
>>955047
>makes any fucking difference at all
Not the poster you are replying to, but races and fast group rides are where I feel like shitty-feeling shifters are the most annoying. I use 5700 on my race bike because I don't want other people to crash my carbon bike with 5800, and my 5700 shifters have never been as crisp as the 5800, and when I am pushing it and trying to feel if I am actually switching gears (sometimes the chain isn't noisy when chaining cogs), it's frustrating when I can't feel the cable moving or the click in the shifters because the last thing I want fucking with my concentration when I am "going my hardest" is not knowing if my chain is actually shifting gears when I want it to
>>
>>955117
Talking about the differences in 5800-6800-9000 which are smaller than 5700-5800.
>>
>>955120
difference between 5800 and 9000 is big though

electronic shifting is one of the biggest differences with the 9000 series in the 9070 first off

and you're arguing that a $300 groupset is the same as a $2000 groupset is absurd
>>
>>955140
the 5800 groupset is nice, don't get me wrong, it's just not at the performance spec as everything else available

it's the groupset you should demand when buying a pre0built bike new in a dealership on an entry level road bike.

entry level road bikes are prices at $875 (105 equipped fuji) to roughly $1500 (105 equipped cannondale caad12)
>>
>>955142
budget road bikes are priced at anywhere from $675 (giant defy with sora tiagra) to just under entry level road bike prices

so bikes like jamis, motobecane, trek alpha 1.2, specialized allez with a mix of sora, tiagra, claris or whatever combonation mix in between

fuji does make a roubaix with a tiagra front and a 105 rear from the 5700 era and i'd say that's a solid budget road bike
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.