[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Policemen do not know the law
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
In my country, we have the law that you can hear music with headphones etc, but you are not allowed to make it very loud so you can still hear the traffic etc. For some reason everyone thinks that you are not allowed to hear music on a bike at all, so it already happened twice that police stopped me because my headphones. What the heck, this is so fucking annoying. Anyone got similiar annoying misunderstandings ?
>>
>>948012
I hate people who listen to music on bikes. No matter what. Speakers: dirtbag tier, just seriously what the fuck. Headphones: shit-for-brains tier, you're always completely unaware of your surroundings and doing something stupid. The cops were right, you should have been tazed for resisting arrest.
>>
inb4 this thread turns into hurr you're unaware if you ride with earbuds vs. hurr you're a coward if you ride without
>>
It really depends on where you are. I live in New Jersey, right next to Philadelphia and when I make my commute into the city, I would never wear headphones. But on the weekends if I make my way out into the pine barrens I'll rarely see a car, so I don't feel unsafe listening to some music.
>>
>>948016
Strangely i am aware of my surroundings, you have also eyes aswell. I never need my ears mostly, since i am looking beforehand where i drive, even tough i am in the right to drive first. If some asshole does not see me and i cant do anything being able to use my ears does not help. I cant recall any situation where you should even need your ears, you have eyes. Also deaf people are allowed to drive bike, no?
>>
>>948045
You are literally blocking out one of your senses, and that really does diminish your awareness of the surroundings. You are dumb if you wear headphones while biking on roads.

I could maybe understand it on a trail without any people.
>>
>>948016
>should have been tazed
While riding the bike !
>>
>>948012

Honestly, if we allow deaf people to drive (legal in my state) people should shut the hell up if someone has headphones.
>>
>>948012
>In my country, we have the law that you can hear music with headphones etc, but you are not allowed to make it very loud so you can still hear the traffic etc.
Even acknowledging the well-known FACT that politicians are usually very fucking retarded about most practical things, even I have to say that you must not be reading the law correctly because that makes no sense; there is no way for anyone other than the person wearing the headphones/earbuds to judge if the music is 'too loud' or not, therefore it's unenforcable.

Please post the ACTUAL text of the law in question, or better yet, post a link to the ACTUAL text of the law, so we can read it ourselves.

That being said -- I personally do not condone nor approve of anyone on a bicycle wearing headphones or earbuds in any situation, not even on a bike path closed to motor vehicle traffic, because then you are not aware of riders overtaking you, or even the sound of your own bike's noises (which can tell you, for instance, when you have a puncture, so you can stop before it bottoms out and causes you to perhaps crash). If you want music from a speaker that's fine, but not in or on your ears. I see people every day with earbuds in, and they are never aware of me until I'm passing them. Thankfully my bike-handling skills are superb enough that it's never caused a safety issue for me.
>>
>>948093

Literally the most retarded argument ever.
>>
>>948131

Hardly. You ain't hearing shit on my motorcycle anyway. Tons of people driving around in cars with interior insulation and sound systems that aren't helping either.

Wind noise on a bicycle means that you're not going to hear a car until it's practically on top of you anyway.
>>
>>948102
> even the sound of your own bike's noises

If you can't hear that you have the volume on your headphones turned up loud enough to cause long term hearing damage, which you really shouldn't do anyway. FFS, headphones are fine if they aren't giant noise cancelling cans and you don't crank the volume up to retarded levels. If it's that big a concern just run them in the ear facing away from whatever the main lane of traffic is.
>>
>ITT: no-one should ever drive with their windows up or stereo on
>>
>>948161
Cages operate under a set of universally understood rules for maneuvering, right of way, and so on. Verbal communication between cagers isn't expected, and actions like turning left or changing lanes are going to result in predictable behavior by other cagers.

Although in theory bicycles are entitled to, and bound by generally the same laws and rights as cages, the reality is very different, and riding your bike on the assumption that cages will treat you like a 4 wheeled cage is tantamount to motorist-assisted suicide. Cages do not respect right of way and often do not see you despite hi-viz jersey, marine-grade prismatic tape, and multiple high powered headlights and taillights. Auditory cues are common, cagers react in very unpredictable and strange ways just from the cyclist attempting to turn left or do other normal things, all the way down to the very fact of being on the road itself. Cyclists often signal to each other verbally, etc.

What this boils down to is that the cyclist must constantly be on the defensive when on a road, and you are very much asking for it if you ride with headphones on.
>>
>>948021
>a reasonable response

Get out
>>
>>948153
Don't care. No cyclist should ever have earbuds or headphones on. It's just plain dumb. If it were up for a vote in a general election, I'd make it illegal every single time, and I have no respect for people on non-public bike paths that do it, either. I've made up my mind about it a long time ago, no amount of arguing or insulting me is going to change it.
>>
>>948250

Thank you for admitting that you're just retarded.
>>
>>948012
>Anyone got similiar annoying misunderstandings ?
No, but I had some self-rightous fairweather ""cyclist"" whisper to me whilst waiting for a light change at one of the most congested junction in my city and then starting on a sermon how my earphones make me ""completely unaware of your surroundings and doing something stupid"", which is total bollox since in dense traffic there are more than one car behind (and around) you and yet the fucking wind makes the most noise.
That being said, I do not use the in ear silicon plug seal little shits that blast music directly into your brain, partially because I don't find them comfortable and partially because they do seal you off and push the earwax in.
Anyway, never ever ride your bike only on your hearing. Use your eyes first and foremost, but your brains more.
Cheers.

Oh and don't challenge the police. They can and will fuck your day up simply because they feel like it. They as you to take the earphones off and get on your feet? Do it up till you take a turn and be gone.
>>
>>948021
You're doing it completely the opposite (read: WRONG) way, nigguh.
Why would you not seal off with music in a city traffic when cars are everywhere and you are aware of it, but would seal off on some back road where cars rarely show up and you simply forget about it, don't anticipate one speeding from behind and just U-turn to your doom?

>>948166
>bicycle in road traffic
>performing any manoeuvres whatsoever without looking
Are you dumb?
>>
Here I'm a bikefag
>hurr durr law says i can do this
>i can drive in the middle of the road like a car you cant stop me
>but when the law is not convenient for me, ill pretend im a pedestrian
Fuck bikefags, fuck them all.
>>
>>948374
>deliberately turning off one of your basic senses
>oh but it's ok I still have smell and taste! better pretend that my other senses are actually heightened and I'm unique in using them!
it won't be victim blaming when you get crushed by a cage, because you deserved it
>>
>>948384
I won't be crushed by a cage, coz I ain't a dumbo like you.
>>
>>948384

Some of us aren't retarded and look where we're going rather than trying to pretend we're some kind of bat-man.
>>
>>948380

Legally, I can pretend I'm a pedestrian in my state so long as I'm not in an area zoned as a 'business district' and stay under 15mph.

I take advantage of that to jump onto sidewalks and walk across crosswalks to avoid shitting up major intersections.
>>
>>948418
Looking where you're going means taking your eyes off what's behind you

Looking behind you means not looking where you're going

It's time for you to accept you're irresponsible
>>
>>948428

>has never heard of helmet/glasses mounted mirrors

>probably irresponsible as hell and doesn't have one

>2016
>>
>>948432
>putting sharp objects on your helmet so you can listen to ICP whilst riding
keep digging, shortbus
>>
>>948453
You do realize that soft plastics have been a thing for like 60 years right?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.