[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/BRT/ - Bike Training and Racing thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: IMG_4031.jpg (3 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4031.jpg
3 MB, 4608x3456
Talking to myself edition

Racing tomorrow guys// 50+ in the 3/4 field, hopefully I'm a factor in it, but it's been 20 months and 2 knee surgeries (2 months into training yay) since my last race. THe 1-2-3 field has 50+ in it too, will be my first 1-2-3 race ever thogh.

Anywon else training? RACING?

>Nice speeds, keep me updated with any recent power files, leg pictures, strava KOMs, I want to see how Nimble, Fast, and Aero you can get.

P.s there has got to be someone from Indiana here :))) come race
>>
whats your typical avg speed when you practice?

also how fast do i have to be for people to stop telling me to 'git gud'?
>>
>>947202
>whats your typical avg speed when you practice?
slow as piss

>also how fast do i have to be for people to stop telling me to 'git gud'?
fast as piss
>>
Racing my first track bike crit tomorrow, never done racing before, how do I avoid killing myself?
>>
>>947231
Know your limits and stay aware of your surroundings
Don't let other people take you down with them as they kill themselves
>>
>>947157
>Anywon else training? RACING?
Team is co-hosting a circuit race tomorrow, I'll be there all day working the event. Probably won't even ride at all, still recovering from a massive extended allergy attack.

>>947231
You've NEVER done ANY sort of racing before, and you're going to do a crit in a velodrome?

Stay home. Or go just to watch. In one sentence you've convinced me that you're not anywhere near ready for such a thing. If you have no regard for your own safety then stay out of it for the safety of the other guys.
>>
>>947351
desu velodrome really isn't as dangerous because of the banked tracks
>>
>>947353
I've lost count of how many crits I've raced, and they're dangerous as fuck, and that's on normal-width city streets. Velodrome is only a fraction of the width, and this guy has zero experience. I don't like anybodys chances in this situation.
>>
>>947431
City streets aren't round and banked like velodromes. Crits are dangerous because of the right angle turns, not so much lack of width.
>>
>>947231
guys im pretty sure he mens he's doing a normal crit course, but on a fixed gear bike
>>
File: Dear Mr Stallman.png (811 KB, 967x651) Image search: [Google]
Dear Mr Stallman.png
811 KB, 967x651
>>947157
AH CREPE NOT THIS GUY AGAIN

FUCK
>>
WEll I raced. I was good in the sprint, had 2nd in my sites and shit happened and I took a tumble literally at the finish line. My bike stayed behind the line (literally the bars right behind the finish line) until another guy hit it and pushed it across. So I ended up at 21st and my bike is not race-able yet, so I'm gonna miss tomorrows race as well here's the strava bros https://www.strava.com/activities/554647681/overview

So.. how did UR weekend go?

p.s I was shown some gnarly pics of my crash at the race, don't have them yet but I'll show u guys if I run across them
>>
>>947749
My race today was a clusterfuck. The meeting area was suddenly changed so everyone wasted a whole bunch of time looking for it. I ended up dropping out halfway because I had cramps due to being generally unprepared, cold weather and being unable to warmup due to the time lost trying to find the meeting area.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-23+at+05.12.17).jpg (73 KB, 889x407) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-23+at+05.12.17).jpg
73 KB, 889x407
>>947750
fuk cold weather bro
>>
Fun crit today lads. Fast, wide and with a steep little 10 second power climb to keep things interesting
>>
>>947351
>>947500
Yeah it was 35 laps a 750 meter road crit course but on fixed gear bikes. The course had some pretty tight corners that were a bit scary but it worked out.

Getting lapped meant that you got eliminated; I survived for 10 laps before the hardcore guys lapped me, which made me the the best new guy. I had a good race and I'm pretty satisfied.
>>
>>947769
Strava here
https://www.strava.com/activities/554767949
>>
>>947754
reminds me of an average day of bmx
>>
>>947778
lol there is a lot more but yeh it isn't too bad. Honestly only bummed because I lost my 2nd place
>>
>>947782
yeah I hear that, reminds me of one time in a race while I was coming up. We had this d-bag who was always at the track. on gate practice night he took off his helmet for a last run of the track to impress some girls, crashed the big jump and landed on the side of his head going into a seizure. Somehow he comes to race on sunday. He gets tossed into my class despite being 5 years older than all of us. Then in the main he crashes in front of me. I smash my front into his side and front flip him. I get up and know I am more or less dead last no point in trying. I offer to help him up and he slaps my hand away and walks dragging his bike off the track. Hey I got second to last of the qualifiers that day.
>>
>>947791
>landed on the side of his head going into a seizure
Racing after that = nuts
>>
>>947769
I can't even imagine cornering at crit speeds on a bike you're forced to pedal through the corner on.
>>
>>947812
It was only 2 days later, he was still under doctors orders to take it easy. But then again the guy was braindead long before any of this happening.
>>
>>947816
Dont forget no brakes :^)
>>
Getting ready for my first race today, I think I fucked up and over ate for breakfast. 16km climb, 1.5km of elev gain. My braindead cousin fucked up the derailleur hanger in my main bike so I have to use a heavy-ass Spez Diverge a1. Also really nervous of taking the same climb downhill in unfamiliar mech disk brakes before the race.
>>
>>947973

Post-race update for the nsa bot saving this thread, got a PR on strava and managed to be the fastest of the stragglers by a good margin (which is less shameful than it sounds, I hope). Got a consistent rithm going and didnt burn myself out like the last time I took on this climb, still got to git gud and shed 10kg to be at my top form.
>>
>>947967
>Dont forget no brakes :^)
Yeah no kidding. All I can imagine is that it actually ends up being *slower* than your usual crit with riders on bikes with gears, freewheels, and brakes, because everyone has to be so goddamned careful, especially in the corners. That being said I have a sick fascination with *seeing* a run of said crit.

Of course if it was Pro 1/2 riders doing it, then it'
d be fast.. and it would be super-scary to even *watch*, because guaranteed they'd be pedaling through the corners, with perfectly-timed rocking of the bike back and forth, so no pedal strikes the pavement. And they'd be packed as tight as sardines in a can for the whole 60 to 75 minutes. It would be like watching a horror movie, waiting on the edge of your seat for the next brutal murder to happen.
>>
>>948103
A bunch of the really fast guys there were riding on carbon track bikes and at least one of them has been at european track championships I think.
The guy who came in second also uploaded the activity to strava and it came out to 36.6 km/h average, which imo is pretty fast on a tight circuit like this

https://www.strava.com/activities/554590241
>>
>>947157
>there has got to be someone from Indiana here
(812) here. I've never raced before, but I'm training like I have a race next week.
>>
>>947202
Don't measure by average speed.

>also how fast do i have to be for people to stop telling me to 'git gud'?
It doesn't ever end, but it feels much better from a higher view. I suggest hill climbing. Preferably a podium.
Clipped the dot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPR68gFdapk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4YlYoOyMNw
>>
>>948222
I'm kind of amazed by all those arms and legs outstretched, I thought "real pro road cyclists" were supposed to tuck and roll
>>
>>947202
When you're doing the vast majority of training, it's all 'time at intensity', not 'how fast' or 'how far'. The exceptions are things like Power Intervals, where you're literally sprinting over and over again. You're still looking at what your power meter is telling you, but you're also interested in what your peak speed is per interval. Another exception I think I'd make, is when you're doing Time Trial training; you can't make yourself ride for 25 miles above your aerobic maximum, but you're sure as fuck interested in how fast you're going because seconds are like an eternity in a TT, they can make or break whether you podium or not.

>how fast do i have to be for people to stop telling me to 'git gud'?
It never gets easier you just go faster. :-)

Truth: some people are going to tell you you're slow no matter what you do. If it's on 4chan, then you ignore them because they probably can't do any better than you can, or just as likely, they don't even ride and just like to troll.

Tell you what, though: when you can ride at least 20 miles in 60 minutes on the flat with no tailwind, and do it regularly, then for a non-competitive rider, you're doing pretty good in my opinion. If you can do 18 to 20 miles under the same conditions on a regular basis, you're doing OK. Less than that and you've got some work to do still. More than 20 miles in an hour, on a regular basis? You're doing great, consider training for road racing.
>>
>>947750
>The meeting area was suddenly changed
..um, OK.

Can I propose a point of order for threads like this one, please?

When you're talking about a 'race' you're going to participate in? Please differentiate between an 'Official, USAC or UCI sanctioned competitive event', and 'A totally unsanctioned, unofficial competitive event, where you can actually win something other than bragging rights', and 'Some guys that show up for a fast group ride, and the winner gets bragging rights'. Not judging anyone here, it just changes the conversation a bit knowing what we're talking about when we discuss a 'race'.
>>
File: DSC_0858.jpg (148 KB, 892x591) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0858.jpg
148 KB, 892x591
If I had waited a good .25 seconds more to crash I would have had second in the bag.. the guy in the red got second place.

More pics here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO8GnUgnz6ki71zLCD8zIIKavyc_DTCWAogqK8D3MVzohmFh5Xm9o89Bf7zW9qYyg/photo/AF1QipMleK3Ss7RjNjtB5k7-p72k4csvbmWjqK3c9Tug?key=X1pTeHVEM3J4SjAwa0NoRG5jSUNZUFMxYU1yMDZ3
>>
>>948245
It was a provincial race in Canada. In my province, other than provincial level races, race organization and planning are delegated to clubs that host them. It was an official race that got changed last minute without announcement.
>>
>>947157
Indiana here.

What cycling club is that? I am familiar with Nine13Sports, but not your team.
>>
>>948286
Rollfast bro. Mostr of us are in Carmel though, here is the website www.rollfastfondo.com
>>
>>948287
Cool. I raced at Purdue today. Their crit was pretty nice.
>>
>>948288
Saw the big dawgs of texas roadhouse were crushin there, how did u do?
>>
>>948246
I wear the same shoes as you, and I went down a month ago (because someone else took me down with them) and one of the Boa things got all chewed up. What is the damage like to your shoes? I hope they are ok because they look so nice and white.
>>
>>948296
Surprisingly just a few scratches on one of the toes
>>
>>948268
What province? Alberta?
>>
>>948334
I wish.
Fucking Manitoba, shitty organization on shitty terrain.
>>
>>948268
>It was an official race that got changed last minute without announcement.
Thats.. positively *criminal*.
>>
>>948339
Oh man. That's why all you Manitobans come down to Minnesota to race MTB. I'm going to be racing in Alberta soon so that's why I asked.
>>948350
you again. back to r*ddit with you
>>
>>948225
>"real pro road cyclists"
>America

pick one
>>
>>948551
Maybe if you spent less time knowing *so much* about reddit and spent *more time* riding your *bike*, you wouldn't be so *slow* and *weak*.
>>
>actually racing bicycles

Tacky as fuck.
Who gives a shit when 10/10ths of the field is doping? Silly waste of time.
>>
>>949158
Doping doesn't do shit for riders who are not at the top of their fitness to start with. Maybe you should ride your bike more instead of making excuses for being slow and weak.
>>
>>949166
>Doping doesn't do shit for riders who are not at the top of their fitness to start with.
You actual retard. Stuff such as EPO is as most effective when you have a large potential to increase blood levels. Meaning when you're as unfit as possible. Diminishing returns. It's a thing.
>>
>>949166

I'm literally starting this season at 12% body fat.
Fast as fuck this year.

"Racers" are a huge joke. You ride to ride.
>>
>>949168
Apparently hct can't be over 50 in cycling, mine was 49. something when I got it checked, how the fuck would epo help me?
>>
>>949170
>this bait
Bike racing isn't about going fast, it's about beating your opponents to the line.
>>
>>949170
>I lost the genetic lottery and now I'm massively butthurt and will demonize and devalue all racers so I don't FEEL BAD
Go slit your wrists, Pepe, you're boring us.
Real people don't whine and complain and project, they carry on. Then there's worthless faggots like you who bitch and moan and talk shit about your betters.

Go jump into one of the hipster threads with the rest of the losers. This thread is not for you. I'm serious: You're talking shit about people who race? That's what this thread is. If you don't then get the fuck out and stay the fuck out, you don't belong here.
>>
>>949259
>Bike racing isn't about going fast, it's about beating your opponents to the line.
Like I say: The athleticism is the easy part. Learning how to race is the hard part.
>>
>>949539

That roid rage!
Your hilarious overreaction should tell you a lot about yourself: it's not me that's insecure.

See you in cat 6! :-3
>>
>>949544
>projecting like there's no tomorrow
>>
>>949540
Definitely learning that right now. Just started racing in the crit season. My fitness is definitely enough but I'm not placing well—always in a bad position when the pack sprint starts. Need to learn how to be more shrewd and take off when people are least expecting it.
>>
>>947157
Racing on the streets
Why not just BMX you faggot and make way for my horse drawn carriage
>>
File: ss (2016-02-21 at 08.26.25).png (8 KB, 1007x152) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-21 at 08.26.25).png
8 KB, 1007x152
>followed the guy who crashed me at the race
>he followed me back
>feel like we are on a positive standing refrain from trash talking him or telling anyone it was his terrible bike handling and bike-wobbling sprint style that coursed the crash
>2 days later he unfollows me
>comment "Lol." on his most recent ride and unfollow him back

Wut the fuk is this chit?
>>
>>948246
ahahahahah why would you post this
>>
>>949866
why not
>>
>>949168
Unfit people often have higher hct, so epo is most effective when the workload is big. That's why it's so huge in grand tours because you have plasma volume expansion and then dropping levels at around one week in. With EPO you can just keep it jacked through the whole thing.
>>
>>948246
>crashing on open road
What a downtube.
>>
>>949154
at least I don't browse reddit
>>
>>949906
>not a being a downtube
>two thousand sixteen
shiggy freaking diggy
>>
>>949168
>>949905
Ah, I see: so you go from fat Fred-level filthy casual unfit to just normal unfit, all for the massive risk to your health that fucking around with EPO. Makes total sense.
>>
>>950199
THE
CURRENT
YEAR
>>
>>948246
Kudos
Sucks about the crash
>>
>>949731
jesus christ you are a fucking autist
why would you follow him?
why would you get upset when he unfollowed you?
why would you expect any praise for not talking shit on strava?
what sort of autism inspired you to leave that comment?
what sort of autism inspired you to bring this story here?
what did you possibly expect you were going to hear from us?'

ps it sounds like the crash was your fault, short of someone actually hitting you (which wouldn't happen if the guy who you think caused the crash was behind you on a sprint) it's always your fault, learn to ride a bike
>>
>>949731
A
LITERAL
FUCKING
DOWNTUBE
>>
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting pretty fucking tired of the word "autist" being tossed so fucking much, especially three times in one goddamned comment. Seriously, if you have to use that word three times in one fucking comment, maybe you'd better take a step back for a while. It's just unnecessary.
>>
>>950533
This. The worst fucking part is that the people referred to as 'autists' on 4chan are almost always pretty much the complete opposite of autist (they have attention to detail, like doing things right, etc). >>950498 is an exception, in that case the word autist is pretty applicable, but he still overused the word. And it's ALWAYS the fucking reddit-tier newfags that use the word.
>>
File: ss (2016-04-17 at 01.23.25).jpg (38 KB, 483x460) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-04-17 at 01.23.25).jpg
38 KB, 483x460
>>950498
>ps it sounds like the crash was your fault, short of someone actually hitting you (
That's exactly what happened lol

p.s dont say ps its my thing faget
>>
>>950582
o I forgot to say you can actually look at the google pics I linked to see when he contacts me first. He was about 6'7 and has a fuken giant bike, didn't know how to bump and swerved away after we locked bars (im guessing)

p.s u actually sound quite upset about me commenting? vid related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk4HCuYUWSE
>>
>>947157
Jesus christ this kid looks like a fucking faggot. Cut your hair and wipe that stupid look off your face. You're an embarrassment.
>>
>>950693
guy who always looks sad and is balding and insecure about it detected..

I got a 84 miles road race tomorrow guys.. Anyone else racing or raced this weekend?
>>
>>950768
i would be but i have a real bad anal fissure so i'm out
>>
>>950769
that sucks man... 2 much anal sex lately?
>>
>>950770
gotta earn that paper bruh campy hyperions aren't cheap
>>
File: FLOW.001.jpg (430 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
FLOW.001.jpg
430 KB, 800x800
Related to an article in Bicycling Magazine I was just reading (no bully, please):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29

>realizing I've been experiencing this and didn't know it was a Thing

You should read this. I found it enlightening.

As a sidebar to this: I know all you guys use various supplements in attempts to enhance performance.
Do any of you take L-Tyrosine or N-Acetyl-Tyrosine? It's a dopamine/noradrenaline precursor. It's also associated with the above article because they talk about this Flow State being where you're very focused, which is exactly the effect that taking Tyrosine (especially with caffeine) does for me; I get to this Flow State much more often and easily.
>>
>>951091
>not knowing about "the zone"
In any case, that chart makes surprisingly a lot of sense. Neat.
>>
>>951092
No, I knew what 'the zone' was, but what I didn't know was there was so much research into it. Having read up on it, it connects the dots for me.
>>
fug guys, today I got dropped, 73 miles into the 1/2/3 road race. I guess my endurance is not quite at ideal levels yet
>>
>>951287
>getting dropped
What were the circumstances, though? Was it during a surge, during a lull, or somewhere between the two? Was your nose in the wind, or were you drafting effectively? Follow-up on that: Where were you in the peloton? Front, middle, back? Did you get gapped initially then failed to chase back on? Details, please, then maybe we can help you analyze what happened.
>>
>>951287
What a downtube.
>>
>>951363
I pretty much felt like junk since Friday, probably from the big mileage week which my body hasn't quite adapted to 100% yet, of all the things that happened which led to me getting dropped, biggest is probably the fact that I ran out of water 30 miles into the race, that's just cause I didn't have a buddy to give me bottles. When I got dropped it was during a crosswind where the leader of the pack was riding the yellow line (we had yelloow line rule), and I was dead last in the pack. 3 guys got dropped in front of me and I didn't really have a chance on closing the gap with how I was doing. But in reality if I had even another 2-3 weeks of training in my legs I could've stuck with the pack even having a bad day like I was, I guess that's what being forced off the bike for 16 months does for my fitness lol
>>
>>951474
Were you by chance racing Spring Valley?
>>
>>951481
Yes bro. You there? I was the guy on the back all day in blue/white/black kit and red bike with Jr. gears
>>
>>951497
Ha I'm pretty sure we parked right next to you. We were in a silver Honda Fit in navy jerseys with red stripes on the the sleeves.
>>
>>951674
dam I remember u guys. Small world
>>
File: truthofthesw.png (141 KB, 1280x809) Image search: [Google]
truthofthesw.png
141 KB, 1280x809
gila is good fun lads
>>
>>952809
if you are in cat 3 can you do me a favorre?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLPTSEUOIpU

ANUONE ELSE REMEMBER
>>
>apparently Kraftwerk doesn't know how to paceline correctly
>>
>>953262
hahahhhahaha

"let's waste as many watts as possible"
>>
>>953314
Who says they don't have a side wind? Also, Florian is a known bike buff. I propose that it's you who don't know how to Belgian chain in side wind.
>>
>>953336
If we take that animation literally, then if they're riding in a crosswind, it's only a few degrees to the left of straight ahead -- unless someone wants to argue that all four of those riders are actually half-wheeling each other in what's supposed to be a paceline. XD

>Belgian chain in sidewind
Nope, I'm a born-and-raised Californian, never been to Belgium, or so far as I know, ever even met anyone from Belgium, so nope, I have no idea what a 'Belgian chain in sidewind' even is; care to describe it for us? I certainly know how to echelon, is it similar to that? I'd think it is, but even in an echelon you're dropping back off the front, not zooming up from the back.

>>953314
Heh, yeah, that's why I posted that, also because all the time when I'm out on my longest ride of the week, the non-racers 'paceline' exactly like that (I call it 'reverse pacelining'); whoever is on the front doesn't ever pull off, and someone from the back (or the middle, even, scary as that sounds) goes anaerobic to get to the front and pull. Senseless. Which is why I avoid the recreational riders who try to paceline.
>>
pissed around on a hill ride today, on the last rep of the long hill my friend did the entire thing in his 53-11, must have been doing 20rpm
>>
>>953376
>unless someone wants to argue that all four of those riders are actually half-wheeling each other
They are. They're building a wall that keeps the advancing guy(s) in lee. The front and leftmost rider is taking the head wind, and in a perfect world expending the same energy as the guy moving up. Think of it as the chain continiously dropping of instead of one guy overexerting himself.
It might actually safer for one guy to move up if there's a heavy and gusty side wind, because people will get thrown all over the road. You'd rather have the guys doing the relative movement see what's going on than dropping backwards blindly.
>someone from the back goes anaerobic
Then the chain is moving too quick, or they're doing something else incredibly stupid. Or you're misjudging the whole situation, and the guy moving up is not at all going anaerobic.
>>
>>953418
You're mixing things up. When I'm talking about someone 'going anaerobic' to get from the back to the front of the line, I'm not talking about riders who race, I'm talking about random recreational riders out on the roads who apparently don't know how to paceline. They're not doing anything to save energy, they're not doing anything like you're describing, they're just clueless how to paceline. Generally I stay away from these 'pacelines' because they tend to be sketchy riders anyway. I'll save the pacelining for FGRs where everyone is either a road racer or very experienced riders.
>>
>>953418
Other than what I just said to clarify.. I don't see how this would have any advantage over a regular echelon in a crosswind. Sounds like you're saying the entire line would be constantly changing speed to accomodate the guy coming from the back, which is what I was always told was the thing you absolutely didn't want to do. At any rate I've never been to a race with crosswinds (and there have been plenty) where I saw anyone doing what you're describing. Or maybe you're just not explaining it in a way I'm visualizing correctly?
>>
>>953436
Why would the line be changing speed any more than if it was dropping from the front? The only one changing speed is the one dropping from the front, or advancing from the back. Properly executed you can have two whole lines, one moving faster than the other, constantly overtaking the slower one. The different pace is set quite naturally by wind resistance.

And, no, you won't ever see this in competitive races for some obvious reasons. Like the competition part.
>>
I have a cold. Will I make it worse by going on a ~2hr ride? I haven't ridden in a week and I can't take it anymore
>>
>>953455
>And, no, you won't ever see this in competitive races for some obvious reasons. Like the competition part.
Then why do it that way at all? It makes no sense. The entire point of a paceline is to travel at a faster pace than any single rider could for the same energy output. If you're going to make the guy all the way at the back work harder just to get to the front, then he's got his nose in the wind and working hard pulling everyone else, then it makes no sense.

>>953523
Neck check: Do you have any chest congestion or coughing? If yes then stay home. Is your temperature 100.2F or higher? If yes then stay home. Do you just feel like so much warmed-over shit that you're dreading the thought of riding for 2 hours? If yes, then listen to your body and stay home. A day or two or three of lost training is nothing compared to losing a couple weeks because you tried to push through illness and ended up sicker.
>>
>>953534
I don't really feel bad, but I do have some chest congestion and coughing. You're right, I'll rest for a bit longer. Air quality is shit anyway.
>>
>>953523
Just go out for a short easy ride, don't push yourself, and don't go far from home. See how you feel and go home once it starts wearing on you. And drink lots. Going outside and getting fresh air and doing non-strenuous exercise can actually make you recover quicker. Just don't overdo it. Ride really easy.
>>
>>953535
>chest congestion and coughing
Yep, definitely skip the bike until all that passes. You don't want it turning into pneumonia or even bronchitis. Rest, lots of fluids, feel better dude.
>>
Sorry for such a strange/stupid question, but is it safe to excersise on a bike if you have psoriasis? Does anyone have any experience here? I've heard some excersise like weight lifting and swimming are good, but I never asked my doctor if bike riding is safe.
>>
Does it make me a tryhard cunt if I wear cycling shorts and a bib on my hybrid?
>>
>>953574
I ended up going for a hour and a half ride. Really paced myself, but most of it was climbing so I still got a bit winded. It was chillier out than I expected though, that can't be good. Got back home, stretched a bit and took a boiling hot shower, now resting and sipping a spearmint honey tea. Feeling better already.
>>
>>953647
Only thing wrong about it I imagine would be the sweating, but I have no idea if it does anything to psoriasis.
>>954201
>cycling shorts and a bib
That would be odd
>>
Is it pretty typical of clubs to not give much of a shit about their CAT4's and 5's?
Or, do you see much development happening with them?
Seems my club really on starts to care about you once you hit 3.
Just wondering if others deal with the same shit.
>>
>>954226
What do you mean?
>>
>>954283
The club I race for, we have racers from CAT5 to Pros.
The 4's and 5's are left to their own devices and are pretty well ignored by 3's and above when asking for help, training, tactics etc. It's basically every man for himself, until you get to CAT3.
>>
>>954304
>brute force your way to 3's

problem solved
>>
>>954226
if you can't make it to elite / borderline elite on your own, then you are either incredibly stupid or not trying hard enough
>>
>>954445
What a stupid fucking comment.
>>
>>954304
what >>954445 is trying to say is that being cat 4 or 5 basically means you're just not riding enough. there's no tip that can keep you from getting dropped. there's no secret that the cycling elders only give to people cat 3 or better. if you are cat 5, you are new to racing. if you're cat 4, then congratulations, you made it out of cat 5. not until cat 3 will you actually start to encounter people serious about their training, and it's possible your team has a lot of 4s/5s who just pass through and quit racing after one season. making it to cat 3 is less of a test of talent than it is a test of dedication.
>>
>>954304
Sounds to me like your 'club' is pretty shitty, then. If you're a team, you should be a team even if it's not race day. Do you have to pay a fee of any sort to be in your club? If so then I'd start wondering if you're just a wallet on legs to them and nothing more. Consider finding a different team to be on.
>>
can't stop laughing at all of the newbie cyclists who go on rides that are easy enough to recover from lol. Some things aren't worth recovering from, remember that...
>>
Road bike 20km TT this morning, it's like 35F. If I'm so slow now that I don't break 30:30 I may have a fucking aneurysm, seeing as I did a 56:55 40km road bike TT in 2014
>>
Has anyone completed strava's giro climbing challenge yet?
I'm about halfway through and the constant climbing every day is getting monotone.
>>
>>956161
Kudos to you for getting half way.
Train for fun, if something gets boring, stop doing it. Or at least mix it up to make it interesting again.

I can't even attempt the climbing challenges. Based on my stats for past 2 months, 740km, 890m elevation, I would have to ride 17000km to beat the challenge.
You can only really do the distance challenges when you live somewhere this ridiculously flat.
>>
>>956203
I live in a very hilly area which is great for me since I love climbing, but this challenge requires me to go to the closest hill to me and ride constant repeats on it in order to finish it with the limited time I have, since that's the only time-effective way for me to complete it.
It's a great ~10 minute climb and I often ride it, but for this challenge I have to ride it up 80 times total which I'm trying to split into 5 times per day, so it does get quite monotonous.
Music however definitely helps to break the boredom, and I'm already seeing a huge improvement in my times after only half of it so I definitely want to commit to finishing the challenge.

In the end I'll most likely be glad I've done it, even though it's more time intensive than any previous riding I've done.
>>
>>956155
>30:55
ded from aneurysm, need to gain 35 watts on ftp
>>
>>956249
>2016:
>35Fucking degrees outside
>Beating yourself half to death
Come on, man.. I am the King of Being Hard On Myself, and your post made me cringe. When it's that cold outside you can't even really get your muscles warmed up enough to get full performance out of them. Besides which what was the wind like? Also stressing yourself out over performance ironically will make your performance even worse. You've got to get Zen about the whole thing, especially on a TT bike. You know damned well that on a TT bike, being comfortable is as important to performance as being aero; your state of mind factors into that as well. Chill.
>>
>>956269
>on a TT bike
You didn't read his post did you...
>>
>>956161
I was looking at it, and it looks like a lot, even for me and I'm a climbing specialist. I'm at 12km vertical ascent this month so far, tho, so maybe I should attempt it.
>>
>>956353
Heh, I did read it, I just managed to see only "TT" and overlook the "road bike" part. Had a hard ride yesterday and got up late, guess the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet.

Most of what I said still applies though about the temperature and about frame-of-mind.
>>
are there skinsuits/tri suits which offer a fair amount of insulation in somewhat cold water (50s or low 10s in C)? I imagine insulation usually isn't great back on land especially if it's warm, but wondering if I can poorfag my way out of buying a separate wetsuit and skinsuit.

thought this thread might be the best place to ask
>>
>>956637
What temp will it be out of the water?=
>>
gorilla

did anyone see his fucking insane sprint a couple stages ago?
>>
>>956670
Yeah, he was super powerful. Not on the level of Kittel though.
Age isn't on his side, but at least he's aged better than Cav.
>>
>>956683
I still think in a flat out sprint with no outside variables he'd beat kittel
>>
>>956683
Kittel is a powerhouse too but those wins he had in this years Giro were equally up to his superior positioning and tactics. He was in perfect positions in each one he won and went at the perfect time so it was hardly sole displays of superior power, they haven't been drag races. It looks like he just rode away with superior power but if you watch them, its him getting the jump on everyone that allows him to put in a big gap. There was one sprint that he won where Griepel went at the exact same moment but some other rider got in his way and he had to sit up. I think Griepel has more power, do pull off that shit in stage 7 coming from a shit position to win is crazy.
>>
>>956683
>Age isn't on his side, but at least he's aged better than Cav.

I don't agree with this either, he's gotten better with age, not worse. He's not only winning sprints but he's become a workhorse domestic during the stages as well doing a lot of pulling. He can also climb about as well as any pure sprinter ever has.
>>
>>956155
was it the same course?
maybe there were hills dudes
>>
>>956699
Same course man. I am just slow... for now. lol
>>
Heading out for 5x12' Threshold intervals tonight.
>>
>>956641
warmer, generally from about mid 50s to high 80s. warm but fairly temperate pacific northwest summer right now but in winter it can get down to low 40s.

doesn't have to be tri/competition-legal or anything either
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-18+at+11.58.49).png (81 KB, 1234x551) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-18+at+11.58.49).png
81 KB, 1234x551
Anyone else make Strava segments just to make a select few patronizing individuals upset, who will see it, think in their morally-superior minds "THIS SHOULD BE FLAGGED AS DANGEROUS! THIS IS DANGEROUS!" but then realize they'll have to ride the segment you made before they can flag it? Pic related, me and my buddy did this the other day
>>
anyone doing any of these races this weekend?

www.fatandskinnytirefest.com/
>>
Any more filthy casuals out there? Forever shinkansen?

>Bueller?
>>
File: 1408485651116.jpg (31 KB, 624x184) Image search: [Google]
1408485651116.jpg
31 KB, 624x184
>that feeling before a 6h high intensity ride
>that feeling after a 6h high intensity ride
>>
File: ss (2016-02-29 at 07.03.14).jpg (43 KB, 678x515) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-29 at 07.03.14).jpg
43 KB, 678x515
>>957664
>that feeling when you have barely trained for the last 3 days because your childhood migraines decide to come back and you have to race tomorrow
>>
File: 1396023090830.gif (3 MB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
1396023090830.gif
3 MB, 640x420
>>957664
>>957674
>when you decide to race an E12 when you're ill
>>
>>947157
Sup /n/iggers

What you drink to ride? Ive been hooked on wired lately. 3000% b12. Fucking dish.
>>
>>957272
Seth you are genious. Keep up the good work
>>
File: op9PWrr.gif (2 MB, 388x218) Image search: [Google]
op9PWrr.gif
2 MB, 388x218
>mfw doing a second 5 minute hard effort at the end of a bunch ride with a migraine
>>
>>957736
thanks man, honestly means a lot
>>
my TT starts at 9:10 pm.. wat the fugg... so long away. brb starting my warmup now
>>
File: Untitled.png (64 KB, 1129x551) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
64 KB, 1129x551
>>957412
>American "road racing"
>>
>>957945
Good luck bud.
>>
>>957967
THANKS DOOD!!!!!
>>
>>957965
>probably has never seen an American-style criterium before
Arguably the most dangerous form of road racing there is
>>
>>958162
>thats a fancy bike anon do you race??
>no
>why not??
>>957965
>>
Anybody knows if it's possible to have a Garmin deduce speed from cadence given a gear ratio? There's no gps signal inside the velodrome, and don't want to install a dedicated speed sensor.
>>
>>958277
>has a cadence sensor but no speed sensor
>>
>>958285
Makes sense to not have a speed sensor on a track bike I guess.
>>
>>958298
Assuming you have a powermeter that serves as a cadence sensor too.
>>
>>958162
a criterium is a circuit race.
American crits are not the most dangerous kind of racing, that award (not counting rigged races where you might get deliberately taken out) goes to Belgian Kermesses (Flanders in particular), with UK 2/3/4 and below racing getting an honorable mention, even if only for the hilariously bad riding standards.
>>
>>958277
>don't want to install a dedicated speed sensor
Garmin makes an Ant+ accelerometer-based wheel sensor that literally rubber bands to the hub of any wheel in seconds and works beautifully, I got one for my TT bike and I'd never want to go back to the type that requires a magnet installed on spokes.

BTW Garmin also makes a version of the same wheel sensor that mounts to your crank arms, to sense cadence, if you ever needed that for a different bike.

>>958348
Here in the U.S. the difference between a Criterium and a Circuit Race is the length of one lap of the course; a Criterium course is typically a mile or less, and a Circuit Race is longer. Also, I said "arguably the most dangerous", not 'absolutely without a doubt the most dangerous', and we're really discussing things here in the U.S., not in Belgium anyway. Is anyone in this thread actually living in Belgium even?
>>
>>958359
There's also the Velocomputer that does the same thing. There's a guy on eBay selling them for $16.
>>
>>958361
Interesting. Guess it's not too far-fetched that you'd enter chainring and cog sizes, and wheel circumference. Is it Ant+ though, or does it require a wired cadence sensor?
>>
File: 1388866124555.png (198 KB, 520x337) Image search: [Google]
1388866124555.png
198 KB, 520x337
>>958359
>that feeling when you're the only Euro racer on /n/
>>
>>958368
Hey, it was a legitimate question. :-)

In some respects I actually envy you a bit, if you live in a country that values and reveres competitive cyclists. Here in the U.S. we're often treated as paraiahs, little better than homeless vagrants.
>>
>doing road race
>attack dozens of times
>have a 5 min solo break in which I reel in the masters race which was for some reason started only 3 mins ahead of cat 3s
>everyone in the field is shelled with 2 laps to do
>attack more after getting caught, nothing sticks
>last lap, decide to go for sprint because fuck it
>work my way up to 6or7th wheel with ~800m total to go
>the final corner is in sight
>the womens field... second time getting lapped is also in sight
>the police and course refs freak out, block us off completely and then randomly decide it's time for us to pass but give us 1/2 of a single lane
>retards all swerve to the single lane and crash right in front of me

Fuck this cat 3 nonsense lmao. Another race in the perfect position for an easy sprint win thwarted because of morons. Can't wait for when the day comes when I upgrade to cat 2 and can race with (hopefully) non-mentally-deficient riders. Happy I at least got 4 or 5th or something in the cat 3 TT yesterday. Doing the crit tomorrow.......
>>
>>958525
Sorry seth
>>
>>958527
:/! hopefully will redeem myself tomorrow
>>
>>958371
well I'm based in the UK where, in my region at least, cyclists seem to be reasonably respected by most, but I often go over to Flanders and it's better, but not as much as you'd think. That said, I mostly just race over there and the only other riding I do is just to spin my legs so I couldn't give a comprehensive overview.

>>958525
>he can't make a lap one attack stick
>he can't attack 7 times and still attack again at the end to win

casual
>>
>>958540
>>he can't make a lap one attack stick
Apparently one of the masters attacked at mile 2/44 and stayed away the whole time lmfao. I actually did attack on lap one but that was just because everyone was shitting their pants thinking about OMG 44MILES and going like 19mph lmfao
>>
>>958544
>OMG 44MILES
Where are you racing that a cat 3 race is only 44 miles?
>>
>>958525
>Can't wait for when the day comes when I upgrade to cat 2 and can race with (hopefully) non-mentally-deficient riders.
Yeah, about that.. I've talked to some Pro 1/2 riders. They tell me that even in their ranks, there's idiots, and worse, even more primadonna attitudes, arrogant assholes, and temper tantrums you'd expect from a 2 year old. Even worse than all that, the higher you go in Categories, the more competitive it gets, so don't expect anyone to cut you any slack whatsoever, not even guys on your own team.
>>
>>958544
I think I know what happened there..
Were the guys at the front the same team as the guy who attacked early? I'd hope that by Cat 3 everyone knows that trick and would go around and start driving up the pace to chase the guy down, but you never know.
>>
>>958668
No idea. It was the masters 40+/50+ race that had the breakaway at mile 2 which was started 3 minutes vbefore ours. In the cat 3 race I was in everything was taken back

>>958648
>even more primadonna attitudes, arrogant assholes, and temper tantrums
kek this part is actually hilarious, there is some cat 1s and 2s who won't even look at me if I try to talk to them because they think they are pros. But yeah I mean there is definitely idiots, but I would hope that 80% of the field isn't idiotic and going to swerve the shit into someone who has been beside them for ages and cause a crash. I'm sure I played a part in hyping the field up because after I gained like 4-5 positions by slipping up the right hand side of the road that was covered in holes and sand and shit like 5 other people tried to do that around me and nearly crashed because they can't ride straight unless the road is perfectly smooth. Probably same people who ended up crashing at the end
>>
>>958648
>>958781
In the UK it's the opposite, elite guys just get on with it and call you a cunt if you do anything really dumb, it's the lower ranked riders who are tryhard bellends. Belgian elites get a bit prissy mind.
>>
Holy fuck. REpeat of yesterday on the crit. 1km to go. 5th wheel, set up perfectly for the sprint after a long hard race(AGAIN). Guy slides out in front of me. ...whhaaaat is this?
>>
Did my first ride on the road bike today. My last one was 6 months ago(had to have heart surgery).
Lasted an hour and only managed to average 18km/h. It sucks being unfit and having to start a base again, but it's nice to get back on the bike.
>>
>>958956
>Guy slides out in front of me. ...whhaaaat is this?
Maybe someone decided to block, but in the crudest, absolute worst way possible? Granted, it's more likely the guy just didn't look, and was so focused on his own finish that he didn't even think about the fact there were other riders around. I see it happen all the bloody time.
>>
>100 riders packed together like sardines in a can on the road
>no room on the sides to move up
>have to go up the middle or not at all
Serious question: How do you guys deal with this? It scares the crap out of me, mainly because of how sketchy other riders can be.
>>
>>958978
>nice to get back on the bike.
And that's exactly what you should take from this. You'll gain your fitness back (hopefully) - but the fact that you can still get on the bike is priceless.
>>
>>958984
I dunno man. It's some chit, especially since people who weren't there will think I am shit at riding and wrecking myself constantly. Heard from a friend some guy was saying something like "He's supposed to be a really strong rider but he took like a year off so he probably just fucked up." Anyway I don't think that guy crashed me on purpose because he was apologizing and shit and he just slid out, + he didn't bump anyone/rub a wheel or slam the brakes. Probably had his tires at 130psi or something lol
>>958987
If you watch some YT crit vids you can study this really easily, gaps open up for like 1/3 a second so you gotta take them just that quick.
>>
>>959020
I understand the mechanics of moving up through the middle, I'm talking about the part going on in my head. Most skills (cornering, descending, etc) you can practice in a "safe" and "controlled" way, but other than being on a big enough team that actually trains as a team for such thing (yeah, right, I wish) there's really no way to do that in a "safe, controlled" way; I'm kinda allergic to ambulance rides and broken bones, haha.
>>
>>>/asp/
>>
>>959122
>>>/bitch/
>>
Assuming a given constant cruising speed, should i be spinning in a lower gear or mashing in a higher gear in order to become a stronger rider?
>>
>>959646
You should be somewhere between 80-95rpm for a long zone1/2 ride. Bit higher than your cruising speed for TT efforts and in general, shorter legs = higher rpm, longer legs = lower
>>
>>959646
You should spin in whatever feels the most comfortable
>>
Is training only for racing? Im training to do a few days cycling with a friend (probs 8 hours / day). Gonna go down south next week but ive only started cycling a few weeks ago.
>>
>>958987
it sounds like you're new to racing, so my advice is don't. Watch and learn see what the strong guys do, wait until you're stronger yourself and it'll all make sense.

Then rinse and repeat when you step up another level.
>>
>>959646
you should do some dedicated force training, but outside of those sessions ride at what feels an optimal cadence.
>>
>>959650
>>959651
>>959670
Thanks
>>
How often do you guys do weight training and what type of weight training is it? During the winter when I couldn't ride I started going to the gym but I feel like I've got no recovery time now that I'm riding daily again.

I'm not racing, at least not yet, and my strength levels are still shit but I'd like to get faster.
>>
>>959777
>During the winter when I couldn't ride
Get studded tires and some winter clothes

I lift twice a week for vanity but I don't do lower body stuff, I'm already a freakish t-rex
>>
Just witnessed a fella try and power through a tight corner on a wet course.
He left part of his face on the concrete...and they stopped our race because of it.
Good times. 5 laps into the race too...
>>
>>959777
I more or less do this >>959778 but I also hit legs and follow ppl and try to bulk a little. I dont race though and really doubt I ever will again. I still ride a few times a month during winter on the cx bike... I rarely go out when its below 10f and more than 3-4 inches of snow.
>>
I'm usually a runner and have been back to biking since getting injured a couple months ago. I realized that I never bike anything but steady-pace stuff.

Do I need to work tempo/sprints to improve, or just go for endurance on long rides?
>>
>>959668
>it sounds like you're new to racing, so my advice is don't. Watch and learn see what the strong guys do, wait until you're stronger yourself and it'll all make sense.
You're completely misunderstanding. This has nothing to do with being a strong rider. It's a psychological issue. Trying to move up in the pack through the middle instead of the outside scares the shit out of me most of the time, mainly because of how sketchy so many other riders are. I have more than enough horsepower to physically do it, but I really don't want to end up in an ambulance when some moron locks handlebars with me or bumps me so hard I go down. How do you guys PSYCHOLOGICALLY deal with it? I consider it a Limiter because if I can't move up in some circumstances, then how can I have any hope of placing well?
>>
>>959777
You only really do strength training in the gym in the Fall/early Winter, mainly before starting Base. You can overlap Base with the last few weeks of strength training. Beyond that you shouldn't be spending much time in the gym.
>>
How do i raise my cadence another 30 rpm?

Serious question. How do i train to be able to pedal faster?
>>
Holy Hell this was exhausting.
Really glad I finished this though, I really like these unique challenges Strava does now and then.
>>
>>960551
Spin-ups. Endurance pedaling.
>>
>recoverizing at a comically low speed on MUT
>guy on mint condition wal-mart mountain bike sprints past me
>overpass ahead
>he blows himself up and i cruise up it at a whopping 200 watts
>5 minutes later, stop to cool off because its LUDICROUSLY hot outside
>he passes me 3 mins l8r and looks like he's about to burst out into laughter

:( beign slow suks :/
>>
>>960551
Oh and by the way: What is your selected cadence right now?
>>
>>961082
this happened to me the other day. I was on a recovery ride and there was a hill. this wal mart sponsored pro sprints by me and is out of the saddle up the hill. I'm sitting at 200-220 watts, pretty low Z2 or whatever. He fuckin blows up about 30s up a hill that's a bit over a minute. I just ride on by and by the time it goes down again (right after the peak lol) he's barely moved from where he blew up

idk if he was flexing on me but I was laffin as I saw the whole ordeal
>>
>>958540
I did this at a hefty RR. I attacked a whole bunch, let myself get reeled in, attacked in the last 500m and won with a gap lmao. it was all a climb for the last hour but still
>>
>>948246
Ducking waluigi grinning like a madman in the background.
>>
You aren't a true racer until you piss your shorts to keep those seconds. Fast drying Lycra for the win
>>
You guys see the stage 18 of the Giro? Pretty exciting stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXfr2acE7Q
>>
>>961161
I don't know. Maybe 60 rpm?

Hey, i never said i was a racer.
>>
>>960415
to be honest I think, based on my experiences at least, the same still applies. Keep at it, see what others do, get the "feel" for it, learn to make small, quick accelerations to move up in to tiny gaps, learn how others move, etc.

Like I say, this is all based on my own experience, and of course the country / level of racing you're in makes a difference.

If you're racing at a lower level, then you just need to spend most of the time near or off the front, because the standard of riding will be awful, if it's higher level then trust the others around you and learn who the good and who the shit riders are, unless you're in America, in which case the former still applies.
>>
>>961431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKeiSk45P8
This part was painful to watch.
Also I liked how Nibali consoled Chavez' parents after today's stage, that was nice to see from him.
>>
>>961431
>>961452
that's the difference between a top GC rider and others.

Top riders don't make mistakes like that, and they don't mis-measure their efforts over the weeks and crack on the last mountain stage. All part of riding the GC in grand tours.
>>
>>960551
I found clipless pedals and rollers to be the most efficient
>>
>>961451
Really, honestly, seriously: You are not paying attention to what I am telling you.

I don't have athleticism problems or bike handing problems. I have MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER to get to the front, and I can MAKE THE BIKE do what I want it to do.

HOWEVER: The problem is IN MY HEAD. TRYING TO MOVE UP THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THE PELOTON SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME. THAT is what I'm trying to get around: the FEAR. THAT is what I want ADVICE about, NOT anything athletically related.

Excuse the all caps above, but it's a little frustrating having to repeat myself three times, and you're just not getting what I'm saying.
I can appreciate your trying to give me advice, but you're giving me advice about something I don't need advice about.
>>
>>961451
>>961619
Just so I'm crystal-clear about this: I can move up on the SIDES just fine.. BUT: There often IS NOT any room to do that, especially with a centerline rule. Then the only way to the front is THROUGH THE MIDDLE, which scares the CRAP out of me. I need tips on getting past the FEAR, ok? It's holding me back. I can't be the only guy who has ever raced who had this problem.
>>
>>961620
>>961619
PLEASE stop doing THIS, it's fucking STUPID
>>
>>961621
Oh shut the fuck up. If I didn't have to keep repeating myself then it wouldn't be necessary. Hide my posts if it triggers you so goddamned much.
>>
>>961641
No YOU shut the FUCK up
>>
>>961620
learn to fight, because you will later need it in the parking lots.. and bump the other racers bars with your hips
>>
File: wtf.jpg (19 KB, 256x396) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
19 KB, 256x396
>>961619
>>961620
Fear is one thing we can hardly give tips about. Just don't take shit from anyone and grab whatever wheels you can. Watch the pack. See who's about to move. Do some pushing or some hands-on-backs if you have to. Be alert and focused, eyes forwards always. Don't be skittish, it won't end well. I have the same issue with fear but you just gotta be aggressive and move people out of the way.
>>
Post your "400 watt" faces

pic related. Mine is about 8 on that scale
>>
>>961756
probably this with a more open mouth
>>
>>961756
depends for how long tbqh. for 2 min, probably 2. 5 min or more? 8-10
>>
>>961827
>not making your 400 watt face when cruising at 200 watts to confuse everyone
shiggy~!
>>
>>961909
>I will no show you my true form anon.
>>
>>961909
very true, can't reveal my power level
>>
>>961644
Yeah, I get some heated words during races sometimes (especially crits; what do they expect, anyway?) but nobody's been brave (or stupid?) enough to come find me later and start shit. Probably because they know damned well that complaining about something that is fully within the rules is just pointless bellyaching.

>>961645
Understood.
I asked one of my own teammates, who is a decent crit racer, on a team ride today, how he handles moving up through the middle. He told me he really doesn't, and that it's dangerous as fuck, it's a really advanced technique, and he'll avoid it if he can. Between you and him, there's my answer: My expectations of myself are rather high (as per usual) and I'm trying to do something above my pay grade. No matter, I'll keep working on it anyway, it's a useful skill if I can master it (and master myself).

Thanks to both of you for the help, seriously.
>>
File: goddamnit.png (238 KB, 377x413) Image search: [Google]
goddamnit.png
238 KB, 377x413
>>961756
First 5 minutes or so? I'd say a 2.

After that (especially at about the 15 minute mark)? Pic related.

If on my TT bike in a time trial in 90 degree heat? Pic related, except my eyes are glowing red with the hate of the power of a thousand suns gone supernova all at once.
>>
File: uuuuh.jpg (42 KB, 418x512) Image search: [Google]
uuuuh.jpg
42 KB, 418x512
>>961756
>>
So my firend is letting me use his TT bike... I rode on it a bit today. 49.6 miles with an average speed of 13.2mph. Is that good?
>>
>>962361
That doesn't sound much better than i do on an old ass, badly mainained hybrid with 40mm tires, and i'm like the weakest fuck on /n/.
But i don't mean to be discouraging. Keep riding, slow bro. We'll both get stronger.
>>
>>962361
No
>>
>>962419
what do u mean..?
>>
>>962426
It's not good
>>
>>962427
what about it isn't good? like not far enough.?.
>>
>>961619
>>961620
well in that case just harden the fuck up and learn to barge son.
>>
>>962361
very, you must enter the world championships immediately
>>
>>962431
thanks man im actually considering it.do u think icould win?
>>
>>962433
well the winning speed last year was 14mph so work on that top end and you're there. Anything less than a podium would be a failure desu, you sound like a very strong elite rider.
>>
>>962434
Yeh well honestly today was my endurance ride. Usually I average 13.8-14mph sometimes a bit more. Pretty fast if imhonest.
>>
>>962428
Not far nor fast enough for a TT ride
>>
>>962440
Asshole.
>>
>>962436
holy shit, start contacting world tour teams m8 you're a monster
>>
>>961620
Just ask politely to move up and smile :)

"Excuse me, pardon me, rider moving up :)"

It may very well be scary but just accept it, watch your own wheel and forget about other people. If youre not moving up your falling behind. Also once you find your position, fight for it and hold it :)

If someone gives you smack threaten to bite their softcock small dick off :)
>>
>>962361
>this is bait
>>
>>962571
>Just ask politely to move up and smile :)
I get remarkably good results just by riding up the side and pointing to where I want to drop into, believe it or not. XD

I actually had some guy at a RR tell me "Oh HELL no, you're not getting in here, I worked hard to get up here and you think you're going to just slide in?" after I'd zoomed up the right side. All I had to say to him was "Five minutes from now you're going to be on the back, what's the big deal?" He didn't take too kindly to that. XD

As previously stated I discover that I'm apparently trying to incorporate a skill that even pros don't always master, so predictably enough my expectations of myself are pretty high, and I'm being hard on myself over it.
>>
File: 1463159047908.jpg (29 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1463159047908.jpg
29 KB, 320x320
>>962025
Relating to your first part here (i'm the guy you replied to second) this one dude came up to me after a crit and was all butthurt that I cut him off before a really tight turn. I'm like,
"dude, I saw you coming up the left and I didn't think you'd make it in time so I pushed up and got there first. Totally fair"

and he's like

"nah bro I was coming fast enough to make it through the turn before you did!"

and I was like

"I have no fucking way to gauge your speed as I'm glancing backwards and trying to stay in my position as it is"

and he's like

"well it was a dick move man"

and I just said "that's a crit bud"
>>
>>962854
I don't understand. If you're in front, you get to pick your line. If you're coming from the rear, why would you expect someone at the front to pick a different line in a turn for you?

I understand blocking in a straight or intentionally just to block is a dick move, but what the hell?
>>
>>962854
Did he say "INSIDE"?
If not, he needs to get over himself.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Cat C collegiate races, because most people are more concerned about safety and riding predictably in a bunch, so I'll hear several courteous "inside"s and "outside"s when we are approaching a fast or tight turn. One guy even got lightly chastised for a moment for trying to attack the field right as we were positioning to enter a 180 degree hairpin turn because there's no reason to try and cause "panic" right before a dangerous section where staying calm and smooth is the key to staying upright.
>>
>>962854
Yeah, I've had guys at crits give me shit for similar things happening, and back when I was a 5, I'd actually wonder what it was I was doing wrong, but now I just tell 'em "tough shit" because everything is played fast and loose at crits and circuit races and that's just the way it is. Seriously it's like some guys think it should be like rush hour traffic on the freeway and not a competitive racing event. Some of these guys would be better off I think sticking with the Cat-6 crowd.
>>
>Threshold intervals
>95 degrees outside
Too.
Many.
Damn.
BUGS!
>>
>>962859
exactly. He wanted me to essentially wait for him to pass me (and then get a better position for the climb that was after) so I was like wtf
>>962877
He kinda yelled after "I cut him off". Yeah, C's and 4/5s are frustrating as people always want to flex on each other so they attack at the STUPIDEST or most dangerous times. Like these races don't ever string out on a descent (they all barrel down the road 6 across and attack each other) and it's the scariest shit ever. Funny how the riskiest moves are made by the least experienced.
>>962958
Right. I can't concede to them, even if I had been a dick, I can't really say anything but sorry because that's the nature of racing. You'll get some tough cards dealt but that's literally how racing is.
>>
File: MilleniumFalconJump.gif (424 KB, 360x220) Image search: [Google]
MilleniumFalconJump.gif
424 KB, 360x220
>tfw doing 5 min effort on TT bike
>>
File: 1464761617962.jpg (488 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1464761617962.jpg
488 KB, 960x1280
whenever i ride, i ride hard.
is that bad training? should i ride without pushing it so much from time to time?

i tend to do three 1.5-2hr rides during the week and one 3hr ride on the weekend.
add to that 1-2 one hour rides+2 half an hour rides at random times.

thing is im always pushing myself to the max i can (or near) (accordingly to the duration of the ride).

should i change a 1.5-2hr ride to a longer but more relaxed ride? or something like this? thanks bros.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.