[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All-City Cyles are just for hipster faggots. Prove me wrong, /n/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11
File: 6993161306_c253fa4988_b.jpg (592 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
6993161306_c253fa4988_b.jpg
592 KB, 1024x768
All-City Cyles are just for hipster faggots. Prove me wrong, /n/.
>>
>>944659

I've never heard of them so they must be
>>
/thread
>>
>>944659
But you're not wrong.

>>944672
They're upscale Surlys, for the yuppie urban hipster, rather than affecting an image of raw crude ruggedness like Surly, the All-City image is authentic, but niche and tasteful.

You can think of Surly as PBR, and All-City as a more common craft beer. Except the rlation between the two companies is more like Bud and Blue Moon.
>>
>>944659
bike brand that you don't associate hipster-ness with?
>>
>>944677
mountain bikes dude
>>
>company offers new mass production steel frames with modern fixings
>must be a hipster

I don't care for the current color offerings, but I like of look of modern steel frames. Yeah carbon and aluminum frames are stiffer and faster. If I was competing I would be on one of the major brands' carbon/aluminium frames. I ride for fun and steel frames look classy.

>>944674
I won't knock you for that point. I can't drop a few grand on custom frame. Tons of companies offer nice 4130 frames.
>>
>>944677
Trek. They are very functional, used to be quite popular, and have lost steam.
I have not once seen a hipster on a Trek.
Other brands that hipsters usually don't ride include Mongoose, Diamondback, & Giant.
>>
>>944674
This guy got it right. All City is Surly's more fashionable younger brother. Literally both brands are owned by QBP.

(Velo Orange is still my favorite for Taiwan 4130 frames tho)
>>
BUT WHERE ARE THEY MADE
>>
>>944659
Y u mad tho?
>>
>>944659
They make good bikes. The Macho Man is very fun. Sucks that it doesn't have rack eyelets.
>>
File: 5463441715_28b437806a_b.jpg (287 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
5463441715_28b437806a_b.jpg
287 KB, 1024x683
>>944694
ultra-hipster coming thru riding this ironic velo to the cafe
>>
File: Pursuit_Special_2.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Pursuit_Special_2.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1000
All-City make good bikes, great parts. I use their drivetrain components on the track & you really can't beat their price-to-quality ratio. But let's be honest, you're going to call any manufacturer that doesn't do carbon frames "hipster".
>>
Manufacturers to get steel touring rigs from that aren't gay hipster shit then?
>>
>>945120
Just ignore OP. All-City is fine. You can also try Surly, Salsa, or Soma, but I'm pretty sure they all have the same parent company anyway.
>>
>>945120
>>945123
Forget what I said here. Just get a used rig, much cheaper that way. Kona, Trek, one of those old Japanese brands. Make sure it has the right eyelets and relaxed road geometry. Brand doesn't matter as long as it didn't come from Walmart.
>>
>>945120
Fuji touring
>>
>>944659
>modern roadbike frame
>those dropouts
what the actual fuck, dude
>>
>>945143
Catering to their hipster fixie bitches.
>>
File: all shitty.jpg (93 KB, 1013x760) Image search: [Google]
all shitty.jpg
93 KB, 1013x760
>>945115
>all shitty
>good
just fuck my weld up senpai
>>
>>944694
Yeah cos even Hipsters know better than to buy a trek. Around here Trek mountainbbikes are seen as the "I cant afford -insert brand- bike so will ride this crap".
>>
>>944674
This is a good summary, every time I see someone on an All City they're wearing accessories for people who want to be accepted by other cyclists but don't want to be mistaken for someone who takes cycling seriously.

I would be more ok with them if they came with disc brakes. Brand new bikes that are ostensibly supposed to be useful (i.e. not racing) that don't come with discs seriously trigger me.
>>
>>945115
Why wouldn't you use the one on the left? Wouldn't it be lighter? I am genuinely asking, I have no idea.
>>
>>945130
rarely see this recommendation. Tell me more?
>>
>>945205
Discs bend from city use

And drunks like to fuck with brakes and saddles
>>
>>945280
They are different sizes. Left has 48 teeth, and the right has 50 teeth, so you use the one that will give you the ratio closest to what you want depending on what size rear cogs you have available.
>>
>>945280
Because muh stiffness. And weight isn't an issue in pursuit - or track cycling in general. Aero and stffness is.
>>
>>945281
Basically on par with a surly LHT but about $750 USD instead of a grand - it's been in their line-up for more than 20 years, got a makeover and update in 2012, and seems to have slipped under the radar despite being a well thought out, solid, dependable, and super comfy touring bike.

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/touring-
>>
>>945205
>I would be more ok with them if they came with disc brakes.
But they do, you idiot autist.
>>
>>944659
Reminder that most of the /n/ cyclists are hipsters
>>
>>945385
Most /n/ cyclists are poorfags with shitbikes, and a few racerbois with fuccbikes
>>
>>945280
>>945323
Yea pretty much. Weight don't matter on the track and the solid plate makes it strong as fuck.
>>
>>945315
>Discs bend from city use
Really? Source?
>>
>>945315
Wut.

I had a set of BB7s on my shittastic commuter. Bashed that fucker all over the place for years and the discs stayed laser straight.
>>
>>945510
Thanks, makes sense. I'm more used to the typical muh grams road bike design attitude. Starting to appreciate stiffness and power transfer now on my nicer bike.
>>
>>945205

the nature boy has a reynolds 853 frame and disc brakes. its pretty sweet desu

>>945315

I have been running disc on all my bikes since about 07, I've only had to true one disc and it was on my single track rig after I slide off the top of a berm. honestly idk wtf your on about, discs are pretty fucking burly.
>>
>>945518
>>945557
>>945723
Don't reply to him and hope he fucks back off to some other board. He is pretty much 100% wrong about everything, and if you argue with him he will bring up some heterodox source or make an asspull argument. He's basically a /pol/ poster that thinks he's been redpilled on cars, bikes, fashion or whatever board he decides to shit up at the time.
>>
File: what_if.jpg (27 KB, 500x303) Image search: [Google]
what_if.jpg
27 KB, 500x303
>>945729
>implying he won't just drop the tripcode and continue spouting bullshit
>what if he already does this as a side job and is responsible for all the anti sram/surly/disc brake shilling and general faggotry on this board
>>
>>945729
Please, listen to this
>>
What makes a bike hipster? Just because it has some nice details for a mass produced bike?
>>
>>946093
Because it's made by QBP and designed by hipsters.
>>
File: all-city-jyd-jerkbeast-24361_1.jpg (298 KB, 940x615) Image search: [Google]
all-city-jyd-jerkbeast-24361_1.jpg
298 KB, 940x615
idk man, this thing rules
>>
>>946093
Image over function

And anything that uses "small business" "crowd sourced" or "startup" in their marketing

And just drop ship from China (Taiwan is a part of China as well Google it)

State, sole, republic, origin8, surly, Raleigh etc etc

They're just nothing steel bikes most of the time with hi ten sometimes with cromo and rarely brand name cromo that just drop ship from chinkaxhong
>>
>>946315
>Taiwan is a part of China as well Google it
Just when I thought you couldn't get any wronger
>>
>>946315
Republic of China =/= People's Republic of China
>>
>>946318
>>946320
Don't reply to him. He's not even trolling, he's just genuinely retarded. The more you reply to him, the more he is going to want to stay and come with with idiotic arguments.
>>
>>945120
Bicycles are categorically hipster shit.
Didn't you get the memo?
>>
>>946318
>>946320
Please don't feed
>>
>>946320
US state dept notes there is only one china in the world under the one china policy

taiwan is china for all political purposes including trade
>>
>>944659

>poorfag

Don't worry kid, there'll still be plenty of OTS for you to find in dumpsters.
>>
>>945205
>someone who takes cycling seriously

you mean noodle-armed lycra-wearing manlets?
>>
>>947650
Yes. You say that as if it's a bad thing?
>>
>>947651
you're a perceptive lad
>>
>>944659
Looks kinda like a touring bike with too-high gearing. The new "adventure bike" marketing gimmick?
>>
>>945120
Most of the euro ones : Koga, Genesis, Fahrradmanufaktur.
>>
>>945346
The 2016 fuji Touring lacks fork eyelets for racks though. What a silly change.
>>
>>947652
Back to >>>/fit/ with you
>>
>>947664
The BD version of the frame has fork eyelets
>>
>>945120
Ignore the faggots ITT, get a Surly LHT for heavy touring or Salsa Vaya for light touring.
>>
>>945114
>unironically referring to bicycles as velos
Mixing languages is fucking retarded.
>>
>>947697
Was that not spoken ironically?
>>
>>947702
NO

Yes, it was, but hipsters do so unironically.
>>
>>947710
>hipsters
>doing anything unironically
>>
>>947710
Oh, yes, je comprende. *twirls moustache*
>>
>>947712
They have taken their ironic behaviors to such an extreme that they're not even doing it ironically anymore, they're doing it seriously. They're unironically being ironic.
>>
>>947713
NOW I KNOW WHY ITS CALLED A HANDLEBAR MOUSTACHE
BECAUSE HIPSTERS LIKE BICYCLES
AND THEY LIKE MOUSTACHES
>>
The fact that hipsters buy All City and Surley shows just how simple minded their knowledge is, they will buy anything they perceive as utilitarian and retro, ie film cameras, vinyl records. They are too dumb to be aware of bikes like the Cinelli Della Strada or Raleigh Record Ace. And if you are willing to go up to the $3k mark then you can buy the very best steel frame bikes out there.
>>
>>947787
>cinelli
>not hipster
Dude! Dude ... dude, just ... dude
>>
>>947800
sorry kid, Italian frame builders were making steel frames for all professional riders back when steel was the only permissible frame material (this was back in the 80s before you were born). Cinelli still makes good steel frames and Ive never seen a hipster on one
>>
>>947800
In fairness, that godawful ugly crankset will turn off hipsters instantly...
>>
Fairdale Bikes is what All City wishes the could be

Hipster bikes are fine, but All City misses the mark over and over. Their bikes are overpriced and on the tail end of a dying trend (hipster CX, authetic portland bullshit)

Fairdale on the other hand is selling cool looking bikes -- not too overpriced -- and not pretending that their customers actually race

All City is run by the daughter of the Schwinn guy, I think? I don't know

I'm annoyed with the QBP brands. Kona does Salsa better, Surly sells boat anchors, All city is just .. uhh? Civia lol

Problem Solvers is nice though
>>
>>947814
>Cinelli still makes good steel frames and Ive never seen a hipster on one
You can't have been looking very hard then. And half their current line-up is hipster-styled gaudy shit these days.
>>
>>947835
Is that Ti, and a Ti fork?
>>
File: no_fun.jpg (80 KB, 604x603) Image search: [Google]
no_fun.jpg
80 KB, 604x603
>>947836
Currently projectile vomiting at that sticker-bombed aerospoke wheel
>>
>>947835
>chain guide

why not just n/w
why
>>
>>947836
>having a meme wheel
>>
>>947835
>Kona does Salsa better

They don't even have a Vaya. Or a Fargo. Or a Deadwood.
>>
>>947844
>dem flatties
>dat saddle/post
>dose $7 tires
I could go on... Pretty frame. Long chainstays, but acceptable on a touring rig. Why the fuck is it built up with a cross group though?
>>
File: WKD-MXtitled.jpg (946 KB, 2000x1545) Image search: [Google]
WKD-MXtitled.jpg
946 KB, 2000x1545
>>947850

eh...

>They don't even have a Vaya.
Rove AL

> Or a Fargo.
Sutra

> Or a Deadwood.
nobody needs a Deadwood

>>947844

Chain guide is cheaper to use. Also cheaper to change the gearing up front if you want..

>>947851
Fairdale is just fun bikes. They don't all make sense..

But like I'm saying, the average dude buying a fairdale doesn't want to work on it, they just want a fun bike that looks cool

Owner was a BMX designer or something. Here's a good example of their goofiness.... bMX crank, stem, bars... + disc?
>>
>>947856
He was a rider and started a BMX company called Terrible One, not sure how he ended up making flat bar road bikes, where did you go wrong Taj?
>>
>>947856
>AL

post discarded
>>
>>947856
>>947857
yes and also Fairdale is a part of Odyssey BMX. you get old and don't want to ride little bikes and fall on the ground but still want something fun and durable, I don't see a problem with that bike.
>>
>>947868
Its not that we get old and dont want to ride little bikes and fall down, its just that when we do it really hurts now and we get to the level that when you do fall its going to break something and recovery time is really boring and we have responsibilities and cant afford to get hurt or else I would still be out doing 360s and tailwhips... but instead I now ride a road bike.
>>
>>947865

There's a Rove ST (steel) for "muh real" fags like you, friend (faggot)
>>
>>947835
Just bought a Macho Man canti and I am having fun with it. I can't understand what all the hate is about.

Some of these Fairdales look really nice too.
>>
>>947900

Honestly I'm just shit talking. I like All City just fine. enjoy the bike. lol
>>
>>947890
Different geometry and the Rove takes what, 42mm tires if that. Vaya can take some 29x2.0 tires, Fargo can go up to 29x2.4.

inb4 I don't need fat tires so nobody does
>>
>>948120
>genesis vagabond
>>
>>948126
>Kona genesis vagabond
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.