[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People often talk about wanting to use a bike to commute, how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 2577117-unicyclist.jpg (82 KB, 475x385) Image search: [Google]
2577117-unicyclist.jpg
82 KB, 475x385
People often talk about wanting to use a bike to commute, how much quicker and easier everything would be. Infact I'd argue most people would bike to work but a few obstacles seem to get in the way.

People buy bromptons and folding bikes all the time yet still complain about how much work goes into assembling the bike or taking it about. Normal bikes, even mini velos still suffer from being too big, not suited to mass transit.

Why hasn't the unicycle taken off by storm? It's literally one wheel with a seat, super light and takes up even less space than a folding bike. You could easily store it in a small apartment and it'd be no problem to carry up and down stairs.
>>
It's like when your pants dont have pockets.
>>
>>944305
Your lycra pants have pockets?
>>
>>944290
seriously, just take a normal city bike, works fine. every house as a damn place where you can store your bike. if its a cheap one you can even let it outside somewhere.
>>
>>944309
Doesn't matter when your jersey does
>>
>>944350
I'm just saying Unicycles make way more sense for everyone who complains about weight of carry, space and ease of use. Literally lighter than any foldable bike or mini velo, literally less space than any bike and literally no assembly or break down required.
>>
Might as well get a skateboard, just as impractical but not as awkward. Simplicity isn't everything.
>>
Because unicycles are slow and they are fixes.
>>
>>944290
I have a 20' foldable bike for commuting, it weights a ton, more than my road bike, but it's good because it's crappy and kinda small, so I can ride it everywhere even on sidewalks when needed. I think foldable bikes are underused, they have a lot of potential, but people usually don't use them because are lazy as fuck and makes excuses for not commuting on bike. For me it's prety clear that a foldable bike is an excelent solution for a medium-small city.
>>
>>944361
Literally much harder to even get a basic competence in riding it compared to a normal bike.

That's the deal breaker
>>
I live in Florida, the main thing stopping me from riding to work is the lack of showers.

I'm a sweaty motherfucker already, I soak through the back of my shirt a little just from walking inside from the parking lot.
>>
Have you unicycled?.. It takes a while to learn to go a few feet
>>
>>944381
The deal breaker for me would be the fact that it would take me about 3 hours to do my 15 mile commute
>>
>>944376
Folders are shite unless you have internal gears or single speed.
>>
>>945257
I ride one and it took me a weekend to learn.

The main problem with OP is that in order to go faster you need a bigger wheel. By the point you get to the 36" wheel needed to go bike speeds you lose out on the portability. Riding in traffic is dangerous because of the chances of accidental dismount leaving you standing in a moving road. Still, they are pretty nice for going <2km because you can easily wheel it inside shops, and it's easy to carry your bags whilst on one.
>>
File: IMG_8008.jpg (306 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8008.jpg
306 KB, 1224x1632
Even good unicyclists fall quite a bit, and they loose stability with speed. There are various ways to get faster rotation with a smaller wheel, nobody is brave enough to try.
>>
>>945250
Can confirm

I lived in Sarasota for a while and the humidity was terrible
>>
>>944290
>>944361

Stop being a fucking moron

You know exactly why people don't ride unicycles you fucking cunt

Why even start this thread
>>
>>944290
Because it's slower and harder?
Plus everyone is going to think you're some sort of retard
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.