[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be me >Buy beginner mountain bike >Ride with friend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Trail-Rider-MTB-v2.jpg (263 KB, 950x634) Image search: [Google]
Trail-Rider-MTB-v2.jpg
263 KB, 950x634
>Be me
>Buy beginner mountain bike
>Ride with friend at local trail
>Spend ALOT of money on bike
>Getting pretty good
>Bike is getting good
>Friend gets into dirt jumping
>Sells trail bike gets dirt jump bike
>Stops riding with me as we ride different disciplines and he is a faggot
>Have no one to go riding with

What to do /n/?
>>
>>942569
>groupride
>community
>club
>>
>>942569

Joining a club really is probably your best bet. Or you can do what I do and just get a couple different bikes and ride whatever.
>>
>>942569
Dirt jumping is so gay, you're better off without him
>>
>>942577

I dunno, I think it's pretty fun. It is pretty lame when you realize that for the price of gear you're better off just buying a shitty motocross bike though.
>>
>>942576
Thing is I people in my country are fucking apes and haven't discovered bikes yet, at least not enough to form clubs. Real shame too since there are 3 big mountains within a 15km radius
>>
>>942588

That sucks. Have you considered trying to form a club? Cycling isn't very popular with the locals in my area, but I started a random FB group a while back and a couple friends and I ride around with a lot of tourists these days.
>>
File: 1458887894764.png (825 KB, 967x978) Image search: [Google]
1458887894764.png
825 KB, 967x978
>>942569
Find a bike shop that sells a lot of mountain bikes. You'll probably meet someone that goes to the same trails as you.
>>
Embrace being alone. Go wherever you want at your own pace.
>>
>>942569
If you need a company to ride with, you are not a cyclist. You are a casual, social bike rider - that is: a normie.

Cyclists are those who ride in spite of the odds, because it is about the experience of riding, where social interaction is just a bonus or a hindrance, depending on circumstance.
>>
>>942620
you are right fuck it ill go by myself
>>
>>942588
which country?
>>
>>942620
Right on , when you drive with other people they are just hinderence ( except maybe racing bike drafting etc)
>>
>>942632
Greece, and imagine that 88% of the country are mountains
>>
>>942620

It's still fun (sometimes safer) to ride with other people once in a while though.
>>
> be me
> be a fat guy
> 5'5 160lb
> friend who is a jogger joins cycling
> he never pulls ever
i bust my ass hauling shit and he never helps on the flats. He doesn't pull on climbs but just opens the gap so quickly. I'm happy only with rides over 4 hours with him, as he just kinda drops off after that amount of time even if he did draft the entire time.
>>
>>942865
>imagine that 88% of the country are muslims

ftfy
>>
>>942569
>>942919
>Enjoy mountain biking with best friend
>I get into riding on roads
>Invite friend to go with me
>He refuses to bike on a road and think he'll be instantly killed even though I tell him we'll only be on roads with bike lanes or on country roads in the middle of nowhere with one car every 15 minutes
>He'd one of those idiots who think bikes "should stay on the sidewalk"

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>Be me
>have no friends
>>
>Enjoy mountain biking with roommate
>Went around touring new trails together
>Both have entry level bikes, I decide to buy a nicer bike and to get on a training plan
>I get much stronger and faster, roommate rides only occasionally
>Rides with me less and less, says what's the point if I'm going faster and building a gap
>Tell him I'll ride behind him so he can set the pace, he refuses because he doesn't want to hold me up, tell him I really don't mind and just want to ride with him
>If I try to hold his pace from front he'll stop more often and tell me to ride on if I stop too, he's actually waited for me to ride out of sight and fucking turned around and left before
>Finally one day he stops and tells me to keep going and I say I'm just going to wait so we can finish the climb together and that I'll ride behind
>He refuses to set the pace and we wait over half an hour while he sits on his phone, and then he says he's leaving and goes on home
>That was the last time we ever rode together, he says he just thinks biking should be done alone now

I miss my biking buddy, we don't talk about riding at all anymore.
>>
>>943018
Fugg :(
>>
File: 1431806122030.jpg (48 KB, 636x497) Image search: [Google]
1431806122030.jpg
48 KB, 636x497
>>943018
dem feels
Why not just ride the crap bike? I ride my commuter with wide tires if I know the power gap is too large.
>>
>>943018

Weird, I don't even remember posting this.
>>
>>942569

Ride alone...
>>
50% of the time I ride with other people, they're just random folks I've met and ended up talking about bikes with - it's pretty easy to say 'we should ride together, are you free on Sunday afternoon?' after meeting somebody who shares your hobby.

For the record, I'm severely introverted and I'm never comfortable making that pitch, but I force myself to spit out that line because it pays off most of the time. I've ridden with a few people who turned out to be filthy casuals, and riding with them sucked because they were pathetically slow, but more often then not I've had good (or at least interesting, and occasionally humbling) rides with other folks.

(note: the other 50% is with bike shop folks/groups, or at organized events)
>>
>>943018

Your roomie was too bitch to hang. Nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>943018
>he's actually waited for me to ride out of sight and fucking turned around and left before
>He refuses to set the pace and we wait over half an hour while he sits on his phone, and then he says he's leaving and goes on home

You lost nothing of value.
>>
>>943123
pretty much this. mtbers are some of the friendliest and open people i know.
>>
>>943123
>tfw a cute boy asks you
>>we should ride together, are you free on Sunday afternoon?
>tfw no sex and he was just autistic
>tfw you try to hide disappointment
>>
>>943221
keep it up anon, sounds like you might get a good thing going in motion after.
>>
>>943221
Maybe he's not a gay.
>>
>>943067
Once you get a good bike, you don't want to go back
>>
>>942865
and 88% can't afford a bike
>>
File: problem?.png (23 KB, 462x377) Image search: [Google]
problem?.png
23 KB, 462x377
>>943351
B-But anon, greeks work the longest hours in the entire EU. They should be able to afford better bikes than any of us. Are you implying they're incompetent and don't actually produce anything?
>>
>>943351
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ianmcowie/100012894/fast-cars-and-loose-fiscal-morals-there-are-more-porsches-in-greece-than-taxpayers-declaring-50000-euro-incomes/
>>
>>942570
Wat?
>>
File: killme.jpg (27 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
27 KB, 420x420
>Be me
>Live around a bunch of black people with no interests other than basketball
>The only bikes around here are ridden by hobos who stole them from hipsters from out of town

It's fucking shit, I haven't been able to find anyone to ride with since I was a little kid riding BMX with Mexicans
>>
>>942569
cycling is a solo sport
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.