[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virgin-Alaska discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 350811.jpg (546 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
350811.jpg
546 KB, 1600x960
So, it's happened. Alaska Airlines is buying Virgin America. What is Alaska planning on doing with such a completely different airline?

Will it rebrand Virgin into a low-cost subsidiary? Will it take in Virgin's fleet, despite the tremendous differences between each company's corporate structure, fleet, image, and in-flight services?

I'd really like to see some discussion on this topic, as I'm honestly curious as to which way this will go.
>>
Personally?

I want the Alaska Airlines name to go away. Or at least from anywhere that isn't Alaska. Why would the West Coast's (now) largest airline still call itself Alaska Airlines?

I'd really like for Alaska Airlines to hang onto Virgin's "hip and modern" image, and solidify itself as THE carrier of the west coast with a new snazzy name.

In the end, I'm just sad to see Virgin go. If anything, I wish JetBlue would have gotten them instead.

If the new airline can stay on par with https://youtu.be/DtyfiPIHsIg , I think they'll be okay.
>>
Virgin was always my favorite airline to fly; pity that they don't serve the inside of the country where I do most of my flying
>>
>>940606
god, I hate everything about that video
>>
>>940597
>>940606
I'd actually like to see Virgin Alaska. Combine the brands, retain Virgin's level of service (upgrading Alaska's fleet to those standards over time), keep Alaska's mileage plan, and become THE premier airline for transcon flights.

...Also build a new HQ in Seattle or Bellevue and hire me, but that's just a pipe dream.
>>
I like Virgin, but I hate the entitled millennials it attracts.
>>
>>940681
What's so bad about it? It's a really nice addition to the current flight safety videos, and I hope airlines use this as an example for keeping their videos interesting.

C'mon, gramps. You shouldn't be on here if you're over 30 :^)
>>
>>940701
>>940606
This, honestly. Too bad everyone is retarded when it comes to "muh legacies" and don't want their precious airlines to change. This would be if Hawaiian took over Southwest and kept the Hawaiian name.
>>
>>940701
>>940772
Virgin Alaska sound too like a random Virgin sub-branch in a remote state...
>>
>>940816
>>940772
>>940701
Also the fact that there is no chance in hell Alaska will be able to still use the "Virgin" brand without paying royalties
>>
>>940597
I'm betting Alaska ditches the A320s within a couple years. Almost all the ones Virgin uses are leased and they'd be vastly outnumbered by Alaska's 737 fleet.
>>
>>940852
If they made a decent deal, they'll be able to use the brand for a few years royalty-free.
>>
>>941255
The only reason they'll temporarily retain the brand is because it'll still be on the A320s' livery until Alaska returns them to the lease company.
>>
File: US Airways 1549.jpg (65 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
US Airways 1549.jpg
65 KB, 500x280
>>941210
>ditches the A320s

Ayyy
>>
>>940720
entitled millennial is redundant
>>
>>940701
While Virginia does have a nicer interior design, their planes are shit compared to Alaska's fleet. Top tier 737 >>> low tier A320.
>>
>>941804
What are you talking about? They are standard 737s and A320s.
>>
I like Alaska Airlines and being from Seattle I have a connection to the old brand, but I understand why they'd want to avoid the regional name. Funny they've been phasing out Horizon in favor of making everything Alaska.

I never fly Alaska though as they always come out at least a few hundred dollars more than any other carrier.
>>
>>942891

>I like Alaska Airlines and being from Seattle I have a connection to the old brand, but I understand why they'd want to avoid the regional name.
What do you mean? Are they re-branding away from Alaska?
>>
You are now in charge of Alaska's brand. Since alaska is hoping to become a large player in the United States, how will you change the brand in a way that makes the new airline successful?
>>
>>942994
No one knows but some are saying they should. I personally hope they do not.
>>
>>943332
Not him, but while I love the current business theme, they will definitely seem to have to change their image for what they are trying to do, which is expand to the east. I can't imagine anything much stranger than flying Alaska from JFK to LAX.

The article below explains it very well IMO:

>http://fortune.com/2016/04/05/virgin-america-can-help-alaska-airlines-up-its-game-on-several-fronts/

Besides, I'd like to see the spun of Virgin stick around, albeit under a different name.
>>
>>943307
Buy America West's name rights from American and go from there. Spruce up the old livery a bit and you're solid.
>>
>>940597
It should have been Jetblue and VA.

Would have made so much more sense. I feel bad for the employees of VA, theya re going to get it.
>>
>>943421
The flight attendants will just get moved over. Alaska has more planes on order (not even counting active) than Virgin America has active aircraft.
>>
>>943421
In my autistic head canon, it was definitely JetBlue vs. Virgin. If anything, I'm alright with it because JetBlue now has basically zero competition, unless Alaska decides to play their cards right.

>>943307
Rebrand to something that better represents their location or to something that'll be an easy household name, then retain the Virgin style of business.
Can't think of any "cool" names that don't sound retarded, but:
>Pacific West
>Trans Pacific
>RedAir
>>
>>943503
>>Trans Pacific

That'll pull in the LGBT crowd for sure
>>
>>940606

That video was gay as fucking hell..
>>
>>941255
There is no deal to be made. Alaska is buying Virgin America not Virgin. Virgin America already pays royalties to Virgin.

Dropping the Virgin name means no more royalties. So the Virgin routes become more profitable.. in theory anyway. In any case, I'm thinking they'll drop that name as fast as they can get the planes repainted.
>>
>>943503
Alaska's entire motive for getting Virgin America was to drastically expand its network to compete with the likes of JetBlue.

>>946119
They won't repaint a single plane. There's no way they keep those A320s beyond their current leases.
>>
Why is Alaska so expensive though? Booking a flight from NYC to Seattle and Alaska Airlines is hundreds more than everyone else. Even the exact same AA flight when marketed through Alaska is more expensive.
>>
>>946725
Because they include checked bags in the ticket price
>>
>>946742
Still an AA r/t is around $450, same as United. But I can't find an Alaska r/t for less than $600. That can't be only because of luggage. I like Alaska but I can never find a reasonable fare.
>>
>>946747
But it's $100 ($50 for a check back each way) and so e other fees ontop

Plus nickel and dime type shit like $5 for the headphones and drinks are an extra charge so that factors i n as well
>>
>>946753
Alaska actually charges $25 per checked bag. I don't see any amenities Alaska is offering to justify the higher prices.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.