[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's amazing, nothing compares to it. There are hundreds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8
File: Minneapolis.png (3 MB, 1600x1032) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis.png
3 MB, 1600x1032
It's amazing, nothing compares to it. There are hundreds of miles of paved bicycle trails. There are lots of other cyclists out, giving it that cyclist city feel. There are dozens of bike shops, occasionally even a shop that is only accessible from the bike trail, not the death cage road. There are bike lanes on lots of streets, some are even designated bicycle boulevards. There are so many cyclists -- thousands out at any one time during the summer -- that drivers are very aware of us, and since they realize that stopping and then accelerating from a standstill can be annoying for us, drivers often even stop and wave us by when they have the right of way. The trails are amazing, they go through downtown, through residential areas, through wooded areas, around lakes, along streams, and there's plenty of qt3.14 cyclist girls out. Even if the middle of winter when there's a few feet of snow on the ground and it's extremely cold, there are still lots of people out commuting by bike. If it's a stormy summer night and rain is falling so hard you can't see a block ahead of you, there will still be cyclists out, even at 3am, enjoying the glory of cycling in such an amazing city. And if you have a mechanical issue with your bicycle like a flat tire or a loose screw, you don't even have to ask for help -- it will be a matter of minutes, or likely less, before a cyclist asks if you're alright and, if needed, offers to lend his multitool or help you patch your tube. Not only is it amazing for cycling, but there are places where the cycling trails run right alongside railroads, making for an awesome opportunity to race trains, and even one section of trail that goes right between a railroad and a river full of barges, and it's quite easy to ride right along the airport border too. It's /n/ incarnate. It's amazing. It's perfection. Minneapolis.
>>
File: IMG_2220small2.jpg (345 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2220small2.jpg
345 KB, 1500x1000
Blow it out your ass!

Love,
Saint Paul
>>
>>933847
OP here and I was actually referring to the Minneapolis/Saint Paul metro as a whole. Saint Paul is great, some of my favorite places to cycle are in Saint Paul.
>>
File: Saint Paul.png (1 MB, 1366x478) Image search: [Google]
Saint Paul.png
1 MB, 1366x478
>>933847
Btw, one of the places I mentioned (where a bike trail goes between a railroad and a river of barges) is in Saint Paul, pic related. I love that stretch.
>>
>>933745
Great place to get mugged while riding out as well.
>>
Preach brother. MSP is the objectively patrician cycling metro area.

t. Rochesterite
>>
File: Greenway28.jpg (76 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Greenway28.jpg
76 KB, 700x525
>>
>>934931
Some acquaintances filmed themselves assaulting people along the Greenway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBqUNv8w8I
Greenway part starts around 1:00.
>>
>>933745
>actually being proud of living in an irrelevant city that's frozen from November to May
How insecure are you?
>>
>>935089

I'm not OP but I would honestly much rather live here with the lower rent and winter that I actually like, than in some San Francisco or Miami, surrounded by orange normies.

I love how normies treat of winter as axiomatically bad. It's a nice discouragement.
>>
>>933858

The place where I got mugged was St. Paul, west of the Capitol.

Now I live in the other place. I still go out at night when I feel like it, but the head is on more of a swivel. Fucking niggers.
>>
>>935093
Hi OP.
>>
>>935139

nope. There are some people in this world who are actually correct, and prefer the anti-normie discouragement of a long cold winter. :^)
>>
>>935089
>November through May
More like mid-late December through late February/early March. Our winter is literally only 2-3 months depending on the year, 4 if we're lucky.
>disliking winter
You are a massive faggot. Kill yourself.
>>
love my city senpai
>>
File: Aerial Minneapolis.jpg (93 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Aerial Minneapolis.jpg
93 KB, 500x333
>>
>>935356
>disliking winter
>You are a massive faggot. Kill yourself.
Agreed, winter-chan is what makes living worth it.

Have you ever let her embrace your body to the point where you start to feel her warmth?

She makes life worth living.
>>
>>936306
>start to feel her warmth
It's called frostbite.
>>
>>936313
I think that was the joke bro
>>
way more bike paths in denver.
the entire city including suburbs and connected towns are all accessible by bike.
>>
People usually try to shit on MSP on /n/. It's really one of the best city's for cycling that I've been and it's sweet living here. To bad the velodrome is in Blaine for now.
>>
File: kalgris.jpg (303 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
kalgris.jpg
303 KB, 1600x1200
>>933745

Meh.

Waaayyy too flat.
Probably slightly niggerish.
It's a big American city so I've got the feeling you need a $150 lock to lock up a $100 bike.
>>
>>936349
That's my hometown!
>and I miss it
>>
File: Minneapolis vs Denver.png (528 KB, 757x429) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis vs Denver.png
528 KB, 757x429
>>936306
Indeed I have.
>tfw Winter-Chan will never manifest as a qt anime girl irl and be my gf
>>936321
Minneapolis has more. You are objectively wrong. Denver has a lot, but Minneapolis has the most of any city in the country (to the best of my knowledge).
To be clear I'm talking about Minneapolis metro vs Denver metro, not necessarily the city limits.
>>
>>936347
>To bad the velodrome is in Blaine for now.
Are you talking about the one they were going to tear down? They moved it or what? Is it even possible to move a fucking velodrome?
>>
Been up there once. Pretty nice

>LRT from airport to near our hotel
>hotel is walking distance to the convention center
>network of enclosed walk ways to keep you warm in the winter
>surprising amount of bikes
>damn it is cold in early October
>no hills
>grid layout
>only 1 river
>>
>literally arctic winter

No thanks.
>>
>>936554
Confirmed for having never been to Minnesota.
>>
>>936543
>>grid layout
Eh, not really. Less so than a lot of cities. There are certainly places in Minneapolis that are somewhat gridlocked, but the city as a whole isn't. There's two rivers (Mississippi and Minnesota) as well as Minnehaha Creek (and some other smaller creeks) and lots of lakes.
>>
>>936559
Not him, but I lived there for a few years, I can understand his point of view if he's from anywhere on the coast in the contiguous 48, or even say, the lower midwest.

Consider that for most people in America 0 degrees fahrenheit is pretty damm cold, -10 is something you experience a few times in your life. In minnesota 0 is a typical overnight temperature in january, -10 is routine, -20 is rare but not unheard of.

Consider that wind chill values of fifty below have happened within the lifetime of anyone who grew up there.

This isn't normal to most people. If it seems normal to you, you aren't the one who should be lecturing others on their lack of exposure to the rest of the country.
>>
"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing."
>>
>>936566
I've lived in Minnesota, I've lived on the west coast, I've lived in Utah. Minnesota's winters are short as fuck and mild as fuck. Winter temperatures are usually teens-30s during the day, teens-20s at night. Anyone who says that is cold for winter is a pathetic fucking faggot. He said "literally arctic winter". That would imply like 8-12 months of winter with subzero F half the time. Minnesota is a fucking desert compared to that. -50 once in a lifetime doesn't make it arctic weather when artic weather is very regularly -50.
>>
>>936583
There's no bad weather except weather that's so hot clothing can't accomodate it. No such thing as too cold but there is such a thing as too hot. I'm okay in -50, I'm okay in 90. Anything over 90, fuck that.
>>
>>936585
I ride all year in Phoenix, Az

I just want to die when it's 115F+ aside from that, good weather to ride in all year.
Sucks if you get caught in a dust storm though, gotta go full camelninja for that shit.
>>
>>936584
Antarctica is a desert
Mountains are always going to be a special case. No one lives there anyway, except marmots and shit
>>
>>936592
I said arctic, not Antarctica, and it's the other anon that compared Minnesota to the arctic. He's a moron.
>>936588
Yeah, I'll still go out and ride when it's deathly hot, I get used to it when there's a hot stretch. I just wish it would stay in 60s-70s during summer. Maybe a few 80 degree days, nothing over that. But whatever, I can deal with hotter.
>>
>>936512
No it's in Blaine will be torn down within the next 5 or so years. We will be building a new one in northeast Minneapolis in that 5 year timeframe.

Track repairs are at 10am this Saturday and Sunday if you wanna meet some of the community and help out. Plzplzplzplz
>>
>>936594
>whoosh
The point is that you're further showing your ignorance of climates by saying "practically a desert" to mean "really hot"

Minnesota is cold, the arctic comparison is hyperbole but well justified hyperbole. It's really fucking cold there compared to what most people in the US consider normal, and cherry picking some little town at 12,000 feet up in the rocky mountains as your counter example of "normal" isn't really helping your argument.
>>
>>935093
I live slightly north of Miami. It's a terrible place. Every summer makes me wish I was dead.
You can't bicycle unless you want a heat stroke. You can't watch airplanes at the airport unless you want a heat stroke.
You can't do anything except stay indoors.
>>
>>936862
You're the one cherry picking fucktard. Only like 1% of people in Minnesota (not sure the actual percentage, just guessing) live way north where it's actually pretty cold during winter. Most people live in the southern part of the state which has mild as fuck weather. I've been all over the US in all seasons and Minnesota is hardly colder during winter than half the country. I wish it was colder because cold winters are great but where 99% of Minnesota's population lives has mild as FUCK winters.
>>
>>938577
Maybe global warming has changed things, I haven't lived there in decades. I can tell you that when I was living in the twin cities, people commuted to work by driving across a fairly wide river that froze over, thick enough to support cars, for much of the winter. That's not "mild as fuck".

I suppose you're going to move the goalposts now and say it has to be within line of sight of the IDS Center, otherwise it doesn't count?
>>
>>938601
It's cold in Minneapolis/St. Paul, a couple years ago we had 54 consecutive days with a temperature below 0.

However, the summers are humid and warm, occasionally over 100. It's cold in the winter, but it isn't the frozen wasteland people make it out to be.
>>
>>936638
>Track repairs are at 10am this Saturday and Sunday if you wanna meet some of the community and help out. Plzplzplzplz
I would love to but I'm out of state for the next few weeks.
>>
>>939085
Well repairs happen year round, if you look up the Facebook group The infield: NSC velodrome is where we update when repairs will be done. It's currently closed until we get the velodrome engineer to say we fixed all needed repairs, so there's a big effort to fix it quick right now.
>>
>>938601
Where the fuck in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area commute by driving directly on a frozen river? It's a city with real roads and highways, not rural bumfuck nowhere.

Sure it's cold as shit and stays that way for a long time, but the Mississippi is down some pretty steep bluffs pretty much all through the metro area and I can't image where you could conveniently access it by car on both sides.
>>
>>938670
Also, this. I'm in Cali now and go through the summers without AC just fine. In Minneapolis, I was fucking dying in the summer without it. Highs regularly over 100 and muggy as shit.

Roads get damaged by heat buckling in the summer and by the freeze/thaw cycles over the winter... you just can't win.

I miss it like hell, though. Great city.
>>
>>939114
Ask around, anyone from the area knows the spots
>>
>>939232
Nope, you're wrong. Anon you replied to is right. There is nowhere to drive across the rivers.
>>
File: Lowry Bridge2.jpg (33 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Lowry Bridge2.jpg
33 KB, 450x450
>>
>>935078
Niggers, not even once.
>>
>>939233
I know people used to drive across the St. Croix near Stillwater. It's technically in the Twin Cities metro area
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.