[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bike Theft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 1457914251945.jpg (65 KB, 708x960) Image search: [Google]
1457914251945.jpg
65 KB, 708x960
Pic Unrelated.

Who here has a bike they love riding but value too much to lock up in case it is stolen?

I have my good bike, and an old Mountain Bike. Would it be recommended to set up my MTB for commuting/transport purposes and keep my good bike for the weekends?
>>
>>933645
No, you should have a third, dedicated anti-theft grocerygetter/beater
>>
>>933652
What would be easier?
>Theft-proofing my Road bike
> Adapting my MTB for Commuter duties
>>
>>933656
GETTING A THIRD BIKE
>>
>>933659
Why n+1 when it would make me use my mtb and road bike less?
>>
Get a third $50 or less bike, something so shitty noone else wants it either. best warranty for life . noboy gonna steal it
>>
>>933665
But what if I want to enjoy my commute?
I want to ride a bike I am comfortable on, My road bike is modified to be everything I love in cycling, and I could modify my Mtb to be a solid commuter...
>>
Fine, if you must choose, I'd go with modifying your MTB. Get a rack, panniers maybe or just a milk crate, slick tires, you're done. You should also cover the frame with electrical tape or an old tube or whatever, so it's less flashy.
>>
Do what I do and get a good lock and always lock up your bike next to one better than it. If someone is going to steal the bike for profit they'll take the one with a brand name rather than my beat up Schwinn, even if it does have new components and wheels.
>>
>>933662
get a poor mans road bike

cut the rear break cable halfway and leave it, but take the rear calipers off

make the front 0 and suicide frontflip asphalt cafe buffet

Wrap a chain around the seatpost adn through the seat, use this to secure rear wheel and use a u lock for front frame and locking surface
>>
File: P1020793s_zps73279d88[1].jpg (53 KB, 512x589) Image search: [Google]
P1020793s_zps73279d88[1].jpg
53 KB, 512x589
>>933668
Do pic related,but with a $50 dorrah bike
>>
>>933808
>that 1996-as-fuck computer case
>>
turn the MTB into shit,
cover the seat with duct tape
if you aren't going to sell it, scratch the stickers and frame. make everything look shit and unwanted and use a chainlock, those heavy ish ones. gl op
>>
>>933645
Get some pitlock bolts and crap, a good bicycle lock, and maybe insurance if you have legit reason to be worried. If you ride a beater around like all the other plebs are saying then the thieves have already won.
>>
>>933665
Junkies steal fucking anything. They have no standards. At all.

>>933668
I tried that approach, and now I have three bikes that I don't want to lock up. My "beater" wound up being a mint condition Miyata 615 that sprouted VO "hammered" fenders and a B17, and now I'm only a little less paranoid about it being locked up than my nicer bikes.
>>
I once had an uncle that covered his nice bike's frame in black vinyl tape (electricians tape), and it succesfully passed as a POS bike. Maybe something like that can work for you.
>>
File: 2016-03-04-09-01-53.jpg (578 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-04-09-01-53.jpg
578 KB, 1600x900
Here's a tip I like to use.

Don't. Fucking. Live. In. Shitty
Neighborhoods.

I leave my bike unlocked sitting outside if the coffee shop for hours. Never once even thought about worrying about it.

When I ride my bikes to work I lock this up with a single ulock and have never had to worry about theft.

Move out of the ghetto.
>>
>>937761
>needs machine guns to feel safe
>b-but I'm not in a shitty neighborhood I swear!
New York here, I'm laughing at your delusions
>>
>>937761
I don't need a "machine gun" to feel safe. I have a couple of AR-15s and several other guns because they're fun toys.

Shit, I've got no delusions. I know none of my guns will ever be used in self-defense.

Also, you shouldn't talk about stuff you don't know anything about. There's no machine gun in that image.
>>
>>937767
Yes yes, and there are no "clips" either, right? And it's not murder it's "standing your ground"

It is not necessary to memorize NRA-approved talking points to understand that people who need machine guns^H^H^H^H^Hselect-fire magazine-fed intermediate cartridge shoulder-fired gas-operated OPERATOR OPERATOR OPERATOR inanimate objects (better?) firing 1:9 twist so you can best use surplus USA USA ammo when the shit hits the fan any day now and race war at last so I can be the last man alive and finally the girls will have no excuse not to have sex with me, I forgot what I was talking about but gun nut fantasies are hilarious.
>>
>>937771
baconrider?

fr tho. When discussing a subject wouldn't you rather use the correct terminology? I've spent my entire career in academia learning that in order to make a valid and cohesive argument you have to have some knowledge of the subject. To use blatantly wrong terminology shows your ignorance.
>>
>>937784
>ha ha you're funny is an argument
I'm not attempting to convince you that guns are bad, anon. I'm just being amused by your alternative lifestyle over here. You can put your shoulder thing that goes up into your silencer and I'm sure the bullets will fly out of the ejection port at speeds fast enough to cause hydrostatic shock, it's all good.
>>
Your beater is just as likely to get stolen as your nice bike.

Crack heads want to ride a bike a crack head would be riding.
>>
>>937771
>>937789

Not only is this guy ignorant, he's trying to mimic someone else's style.
>>
>>937825
>anyone who writes long sentences is "imitating baconrider"
Low SAT score detected
>>
>>937827
>yawn
>>
>>937832
And also too young to know what a modem is
>>
>>937835
/groanzone/
>>
>>937761
I dont live in the ghetto but i live near the train station where inmates are released at once they are done with their sentence. These homeless ex convicts then steal bikes and begin the "cycle" again
>>
>>937825

At least he has a style. Your posts are all boring, man. (Also, he doesn't type like baconrider at all...)

>>937845

Ha
>>
>>937854

It's obvious to anyone with a grasp of entry level reading comprehension that "he" is trying for a similar disjointed, stream of consciousness-like writing. Except instead of over use of punctuation, he goes for using none.

Plus he is an idiot about guns.
>>
>>937866
What is your native language? Because it doesn't seem like it would be English.
>>
>>937869

>weak
>>
File: 1382080319306.png (5 KB, 103x144) Image search: [Google]
1382080319306.png
5 KB, 103x144
>>937771
>anti-gun shill flaming gun owners on /n/
go back to /pol/
>>
>>938117
>gun owners not posting their /k/ontainment board
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.