[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
city bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11
File: shogun.jpg (58 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
shogun.jpg
58 KB, 600x450
I'm moving to Washington, DC in a few weeks and want to get a cheap road bike to get around since I sold my car.

I found a Shogun 200 and got the seller down to $120. Should I go for it?

Specs:

56cm Shogun 200 Tange 900 Chromium Moly Steel frame
Suntour shifters
Sugino Crankset
Shimano Del-80 Brake Levers (w/ safety brake levers in the center of the bars)
Shimano Z Series Brake Set with great pad life (Br-Z64)
Shimano Z Series Rear Derailleur (Rd-Z501)
Shimano Z Serioes Front Derailleur (Fd-Z202)
27" Wheels w/ Sealed Shimano Hubs (Front wheel is quick release to put in car easy)
27"x 1 ΒΌ " Cruiseline 95psi Tires in like new condition
Alps Industrial Company Road Champion Alloy Handlebars
SR Custom Alloy Quill
Toe clip pedals

Full Tune up:
New Brake Cables + Brake Cable Housings (White/sealed cables)
New Shifter cables + Shift Cable Housings (White/sealed cables)
New Blackburn Memory Foam saddle

>Pic related, the bike
>>
>>931514
Seems good, go ahead
>>
>>931514
perfectly cromulent bike; nice find
>>
Yes. $120 for a Shogun in your size is already good in D.C. Markups there for used bikes are absolutely insane.

Suntour and Sugino? Awww yisss.
>>
>>931524
Actually i'm still down in south va which is why i decided to get one while i'm here.
>>
Yeah man that's a breddy gud bike. I like the color scheme. Only thing is that you may need to replace the tires if they're ancient, since rubber gets shitty after a few years.

>>931524
Yeah if that bike fell into my lap the Shimano stuff would be replaced with Suntour, hopefully Superbe Pro, for religious reasons. RIP Kawai-san. ;_;
>>
File: tdiFf.jpg (209 KB, 600x1912) Image search: [Google]
tdiFf.jpg
209 KB, 600x1912
Looks heavy but should be okay for your needs...
Remove reflectors
Remove dork disk and chain guard
Get aero levers eventually
Get some weeaboo stickers
Saddle and pedals look questionable
>>
>>931585
>it's not heavy enough!
How is this a city bike and not just an OTS? Nothing wrong with OTS, but to be 'city' it needs:
Fucking lights, front and back, preferably dyno, no blinking.
Fenders: real ones.
Rack and / or basket.
Somewhat plush and quite tough tires.
Winter tires if winter.
Convenient shifters for stop-and-go traffic.
Lock strategy, such as keyed nuts, frame lock, etc.
>>
>>931636
>opinions
>opinions
>opinions

That is a nice bike though, OP. Definitely worth the 120 pesos.
>>
File: Dude.jpg (6 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Dude.jpg
6 KB, 300x168
>>931638
>opinions
Ya, what else is an image board for! But the opinion I was really trying to express is that a 'city bike' is not just a bike that happens to be in a city. OP says 'city bike', 'road bike', 'get around without car', and is looking to buy a (nice and cheap) old ten speed. These are all good things, but not the same thing!
>>
>>931585
>>931636
Op here, thanks for the tips. What's a dork disk? And why would I remove the chain guard? Definitely getting light, fenders, and paniers so I can carry groceries
>>
>>931585
>>931636
What is a the best bike lock/security setup to prevent the blacks from taking parts from my bike.
>>
>>931653
Dork disk is the ugly looking plastic between the cassette and rear wheel
>>
File: St Sheldon.jpg (59 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
St Sheldon.jpg
59 KB, 1080x720
>>931655
Look up 'Sheldon Brown locking method'. Actually just look up 'Sheldon Brown', everything you need to know about bikes there. Putting ball bearings with some wax into the cap screws that hold the seat, headset, etc will slow them down quite a bit.
>>
>>931523
Your post embiggened me
>>
File: citybikinng.jpg (105 KB, 1035x750) Image search: [Google]
citybikinng.jpg
105 KB, 1035x750
OP here, I bought her and she is nice. Definitely on the heavy side because of the steel frame but I like it alot. I need to get used to using the shifters since I've never really had a road bike before.

Pic related is all the accessory shit I think I will need for running around the city. Am I missing anything?
>>
>>931809
Do you have already have a pannier or two?

Also, more of a preference but having a trunk bag is handy af.
>>
>>931809
Looks good to me.
You might want to look into getting a small saddle bag to carry tire levers and tire patch kits or spare tubes. Just incase you get a puncture.
How's your brakes? I switched my old pads out for some Kool Stop mountain bike pads (still works on road bikes), and they're amazing.

Saddle height's important if you want to be comfortable, even on short rides. GCN has a nice video on Youtube on setting the proper saddle height.
>>
>>931812
The back brake is a bit weak, to really stop I have to use both brakes. I'll look into kool stop pads.

Thanks for the link to the saddle height video, definitely need to watch that.
>>
File: brake.jpg (2 MB, 2988x5312) Image search: [Google]
brake.jpg
2 MB, 2988x5312
>>931812
Here is a picture of the brake. Judging from the screw cap I am guessing these are threaded.

I also see that my brake pads have metal holders. Do I need to also buy new metal holders?
>>
File: only.jpg (2 MB, 3567x2432) Image search: [Google]
only.jpg
2 MB, 3567x2432
>>931817
Ye get some shimano brake shoes. The brakes look well maintained but if they're sluggish the opt for longer shoes. Any brand will do really, just make sure the pads are replaceable.
>>
>>931817
Koolstop has some pads that are 2 piece like that, and also some without. I don't think one style is better than another though.
>>
File: braak.jpg (65 KB, 1073x412) Image search: [Google]
braak.jpg
65 KB, 1073x412
>>931827
>>931848
these should work right?
>>
>>931849
Yep
>>
>>931514
that crankset alone is worth more than 120. I'd hop on that shit fast boi, Get some new pedals with toe clips and straps or look at just straight retention straps. Changing this and raising seat on bike if you can will make everything look a lot better and more of a "commuter" vibe.
>>
>>931893
>that crankset alone is worth more than 120
>wat
>>
>>931893
>>931899
Looks like an old Sugino, these pop up on ebay for <$50 every day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugino-Crank-Arm-chain-rings-Trek-GT-Klein-Kooka-XTR-FSA-Shimano-campi-colnago-/131729832225?hash=item1eabb5b921:g:e0gAAOSwezVWw8~Q

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sugino-Custom-Bicycle-Crank-Set-Japan-165MM-/172124651145?hash=item28136dbe89:g:fH4AAOSwxN5WaW~J
>>
>>931814
You should be using your front brake far more than the rear. About 80% of the braking force comes from the front.
>>
>>931932
Wouldn't that make you more prone to being thrown over the bars?
>>
File: alps.jpg (862 KB, 3238x1576) Image search: [Google]
alps.jpg
862 KB, 3238x1576
>>931964
Only for poor unpracticed cyclists.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html
>>
>>931965
Great link, didn't know this
>>
File: 1430979069458.jpg (57 KB, 550x310) Image search: [Google]
1430979069458.jpg
57 KB, 550x310
>>931965
>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

>going through a gravel road corner on 22mm tubes fast as hell
>feel the front tire starting to slide from underneath
>put weight on rear tire and just lift it back into the curve and ride out, no brakes

feels good man
>>
>>931809
You don't need to use the rack or the fenders.
>>
>>932573
It's fine and a solid choice for urban commuting. Honestly though, as long as all the gears work something similar to this will be fine for most urban commuting. Just make sure to do your own maintenance.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.