[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have this bike but without the down tube shifters. Is it possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: Trek1200.jpg (98 KB, 800x562) Image search: [Google]
Trek1200.jpg
98 KB, 800x562
I have this bike but without the down tube shifters.
Is it possible to turn this into an adventure bike?
>>
Any bike is an "adventure bike"
>>
>>930686
lol. adventure bike is definetly not a roadracer. or a citybike. its basicly the same shit as a cross/trekking bike.
>>
>>930704

Oh just slap some knobbies on it and ride it anywhere.
>>
>>930683
Short drop brakes say no.
>>
>>930716
what are short drop brakes?
>>
>>930683

Depends on what you call an adventure bike.

If 700c x 32c is adventure enough for you, check the brakes and see if there is room for tires that big.

I had a vintage trek that could handle 700 x 40 tires without an issue. But this bike looks like it maxes out around 32

Most tires don't have consistent widths across brands. So google around before you buy -- look for "actual width" -- your rim width also determines this

I have a Cannondale CAAD5 that I managed to fit a 32 front / 28 rear. It's great for riding in the city and can uncomfortably handle some gravel and cobblestones when it has to.
>>
>>930723

Road brake levers have different reaches. Old road bikes had much longer brake calipers so you could cram very big tires under there. This bike has compact ones. So putting in big tires will be a challenge
>>
>>930724

I have a different model trek 1200, and there's barely clearance for 25c tires.

My old trek 330 had room for giant tires, but I suppose that was more to support a 28c tire w/fenders.
>>
>>930725
can I put different brakes on it?
>>
>>930920
no
>>
>>930920
yes
>>
Dank meme you got there, OP.

>adventure bike
Nigga, just buy a a 90's mtb and put some slicks on thay bisch
>>
>>931076
No, he can't. The type of brake you can fit depends on how far the brake bridge is from the rim. You can't just put long drops on a tight racer frame and suddenly have huge tyre clearance by pixie magic.
>>
>>931080
>wat is 650b conversion
>i dunno lol
>>
>>930686
/thread
>>930704
Fuck off. You are objectively wrong.
>>
Convert to 650b
Put full fenders
Get saddle bag and handlebar bar

There you go

Gonna be expensive though, I don't think it's worth it
>>
>>931165
so…a randonneur
>>
>>931093
>wat is pedal strike
Not on a race frame, silly. On your tenspeed, sure.
>>
>>931165
>Gonna be expensive though
How much you reckon?
>>
>>931093
I was going to recommend 650b conversion, but with that frame should probs just stick with it for road or sell it for a 80s mtb/sport touring setup.
>>
>>931294
>wat is pedal strike
It's that thing that isn't that likely to happen because the fat tires increase the wheel diameter
>>
>>930683
Retroshift.
e
t
r
o
>>
>>930731
Giant makes tyres?
>>
>>932094
of course you fucking mongoloid. what else could "giant tires" possibly mean? read a goddamn book for once in your life
>>
>>930724
>>930731
Also have Similar bike, 1988 Trek 2000 and can assure you there's no chance of getting >25c on there. It's a road bike forever.
>>
>>930920
not going to change clearance between rim/frame. You're going to top out at 25c, at least in the rear. Maybe 28c in the front if you're lucky but imo not worth it.
>>
>>932142
I had an 80s steel racer frame and was able to fit 28mms on it front and rear

28mm is good for most roads if you don't weigh 600 lbs
>>
>>932164
ya but that's steel, these late 80s bonded alum frames were afaik the first to be designed in wind tunnels. They didn't exactly leave room for fatties.
>>
>>930683
https://www.bikeman.com/bikeman-blogs/650blog/1771-650b-conversion-guidlines
>>
>>932165
aye

didn't even notice the frame really, thought it was a typical 80s trek

those early aluminum frames break your ass bone too they are so harsh and stiff
>>
>>932294
so basically my old road bike is worthless?
>>
You can go adventuring on any bicycle, don't buy into the cyclocross meme. In fact, I'd rather go adventuring on a cheaper bicycle because those cyclocross bicycles are expensive as fuck.
>>
>>932334
It was never good
>>
>>932334
don't listen to >>933297 It's a good bike, just not as cushy as modern stuff. It is what it is, and depending on how much you paid probably pretty damn good bang for your buck. That being said I wouldn't throw any money at it outside of disposables(chain/brakes/rubber.)
>>
>>932334
it's good for sanicking, but less so for adventuring
>>
>>933310
>sanicking
wat
>>
>>933582
gottagofast
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.