[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bike Computers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 838378.jpg (27 KB, 298x440) Image search: [Google]
838378.jpg
27 KB, 298x440
Any brands to avoid?

What's the best budget computer in your experience?

Thanks!
>>
>>930477
If you want to save money then get a wired type.
If you want Ant+ and a bunch of features then get a name brand not some cheap thing you never heard of, and buy it in a store so if it goes bad on you, you have somewhere to go to get a replacement, not some dodgy seller on ebay.
>>
>>930477
>What's the best budget computer in your experience?
Cateye Velo 7
>>
Sigma is fine and cheap also many editions are upgradeable for cadence etc
>>
I'm pretty much satisfied with my CatEye Commuter I got for $10 (not including the $20 "out front" mount)

Programming it was like a throwback to the 80s, but aside from that it's been pretty good
>>
>>930477
put strava on your phone.
or get a garmin or a magellan/mio head unit.
>>
I second Sigma. Cheap and reliable.
>>
>>930530
>>930530
This, cheap and easy. Although not super accurate
>>
I just got a stages power meter. What bike computer would go well with it? I don't really care about navigation, just tracking power and uploading to strava
>>
>>930610
Garmin edge 500
>>
>>930610
You got a power meter before you got a computer?
>>
>>930613
Got it new for $350
>>
>>930611
Why would you recommend the 500?
>>
>>930617
because things like mph, cadence, HR, etc- the stuff you get on low price cycling computers is completely useless.

Maybe you can use cadence and HR for a month or two but after that its pretty useless if you are into cycling enough to start looking at data.

the 500 is ant+ so you can use it with power meters (the single most important tool for developing fitness) and you can use things like trainer road/zwift/cycling programs with it.
>>
>>930617
what >>930624 said.

The 500 is pretty much all you need even tho it's a rather old unit. I bought a 520 because I couldn't find any online shop that sells a 500 nowadays, at least no shop that ships to my country.
>>
>>930611
Seconded!
>>
>>930477
Don't buy any eBay chinese computer. They are totally crap specially SunDing brand
>>
>>930594
>Although not super accurate
Should be if you set it right, if yours isn't it's probably miscalibrated
>>
Sigma is the most solid for the price.
>>
>>930530
>>930574
Cateye all the way.
A three of my road bike have/had Cateye computers (and lights) and I can't bring myself to buy anything else now.
My commuter uses Cateye Strada slim with the out front mount and it's probably the best cheap computer ever. Looks great too.
>>
>>930878
Not that guy but what do you mean by "miscalibrated"

It's literally just looking up the tire size on a table they publish

The thing is, published tire sizes are usually off by a mm or two, and you're not really going to be able to measure that properly without being on the bike itself and lasers or some shit. The rollout method has problems too

These accuracy issues are inherent to sensor based computers much like how GPS computers have their own faults

inb4 hurr but you don't need to know how fast or far you went a bike computer is actually for muh whatzz
>>
Cateye makes good computers, Garmin are pretty advanced and can interface with ant+ and power meters and have great software for tracking your progress.

I wanted something wireless and simple as an upgrade so I bought the BBB Microboard, it's pretty good and the only real gripe I have is that the backlight is a little weak for night time rides. Other than that it's a nice computer for a modest price.
>>
>>930624
>because things like mph, cadence, HR,
>unit, quantity, quantity
Don't listen to this idiot.
>>
>>931000
tell me whats so important about those things
>>
>>931141
>bring this oblivious about data that can be used to track progress, whether professional or casual.

Get good m8
>>
>>931141
Well, basically, none of it is 'important' in as much as you could time yourself over the same training route and just keep trying to beat your PRs. You could keep doing that until you couldn't improve any more.

No matter what about efficiency, HR, technique etc, if you can't beat your previous time knowing there were places you could put just a little extra effort in, it's because you mentally weren't able to.

Now beating SOMEONE ELSE'S time... that's a different story. Knowing all that information would be the difference between maximizing your efforts and blowing up.
>>
>>931157
>hes never blown up before
Filthy casual
>>
>>931160
If you're not racing there's literally no reason to blow up or bonk, unless you don't eat enough or are terrible at selecting gears.

This isn't yowaped m8 some people actually ride for fun.
>>
>>931241
>ride for fun
I ride because minimum wage in chicago is ten dollars and FUCK THAT SHIT
>>
>>931141
It's important to state the quantity that is being measured rather than the unit it is measured in so everyone knows exactly what capability is being discussed.
>>
>>931152
tell me what kind of useful information you can get with those numbers

>>931157
just use strava on a cell phone. The power calculations are not that far off for road bikes on shorter climbs of steady grade compared to my meter.
>>931241
you talk like blowing up is a bad thing.
Learn 2 VO2max
>>931306
fuck off SI brochure faggot

There is absolutely nothing useful about mph, cal calculations, cadence (for anyone not extremely new), or any other metric on those low budget cycling computers. They are made for autistics who ride recumbents.

Theres basically 4 GENERAL things you need to do for getting faster on a bike.
LDS, Sprint intervals, VO2Max Intervals and LT intervals. The rest gets a bit specialized. None of those things require some stupid $100 cycling computer. Waste of money.

If you want to track distance and MPH to beat off to just use a smart phone.
>>
>>931340
>4 General things you need.
What the hell are LDS, LT and VO2max intervals? Also, Sprint intervals under phosphate energy in the 10-15 second range or longer?
>>
>>931543
I also have no idea, even after Google. Probably my crappy Google fu. But LDS gives me some Christian crap
>>
>>931628
>Latter Day Saints
>Christian

Top jej, the Mormons are a meme m8
>>
>>931543
long slow distance/base rides
>>931543
doesn't matter, anything under 1 minute will get you in the ball park of what you need to do.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.