[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's coming, /n/ >fair weather cyclists everywhere >joggers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15
File: summer.jpg (76 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
summer.jpg
76 KB, 500x333
It's coming, /n/
>fair weather cyclists everywhere
>joggers with headphones and dog walkers throwing frisbees and kids on leashes darting around
>angry dentists on crabbon who decided that it's perfect weather to make a strava record, yelling at everyone to "get out of the way"
>female cyclists wearing clit revealing shorts riding five abreast at exactly 7 mph while giggling and swerving everywhere
>literally impossible to keep your average speed above 15mph without inordinate risk
>tfw no good riding until next November
How do you stay in shape during the off season, /n/?
>>
Don't ride on MUPS?
>>
I just go on climbs. No fair weather cyclists and very few carbon dentists and certainl no female cyclists there unless they are taking riding seriously which is just fine by me.
>>
>>929949
this

mups is literally only for fairweather cyclists
>>
>>929951
lol, it's often the only choice because riding on the highway with cars going 120kmh is both illegal and retarded

moving chicanes here I come
>>
>>929957
>lives somewhere with only highways and mups

sure thing, I believe you
>>
>>929958
oh yeah I forgot you just go ride in circles, not to actually get somewhere
>transportation
>>
>>929960
>riding on regular streets to commute to work/get groceries/wherever
>riding in circles

shit I guess if I leave my house and end up back at my house I literally got nothing done that day and just rode in a big crooked fucked up circle
>>
>>929957
yeah where I live it's either MUP or filtering through gridlock and delivery trucks blocking everything everywhere

even a relatively crowded summer MUP is faster than dealing with lights and traffic for 20 miles
>>
File: 1331165983240.jpg (76 KB, 818x768) Image search: [Google]
1331165983240.jpg
76 KB, 818x768
>actually using bike paths
Also this >>929950
>>
>>929945
>How do you stay in shape during the off season, /n/?
It's called 'training', OP, you should try it some time.
>2016: People who don't ride every day of the year
>Claiming to call yourself a 'cyclist'
LOL, casuals!
>>
>>929945
>call people cagers when they ride cars
>complain about people riding bikes

Just admit you hate anyone whos not a sanic-tier retard.
>>
>>930020
>training
>translation: I ride on rollers in the winter because I'm afraid of getting my footsies cold
spotted the casual
>>
>>929964
>bike paths
I live in the greater Sacramento, California area, and the Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail is 32 miles of bike path between Discovery Park down by the Sacramento River, and Beals Point at Folsom lake. Mostly flat but if you need hills they're only a few minutes away from the Folsom end anyway. Safest place to do the majority of your training. Even safe at night, which is great because 5 out of 7 days a week, I've got to ride after work, in the dark, if I want to keep my schedule.

>>930028
Try reading the above, smartass. DYER?
>>
>>930030
>even safe at night
spotted the babby casual

it's called lights, babby casual, you should invest in a set
>>
>>930031
I have an 800 lumen rechargeable headlight and 2-watt rechargeable taillight.

By the way, you sound angry. There a reason for that? Share with us, Anon, this is a safe place.
>>
>>930032
>he only has one light on each end
>he's fully prepared to go without lights for a week if he has a failure and has to order a replacement
someone isn't serious about his training, I see
>>
>>930033
>really really angry for some reason
I'm not sure what your problem is, but maybe you need to take a break from the computer and go calm down.
>>
>>930034
you're the only one getting angry here, I'm just telling it like it is babby casual
>>
>>930035
>someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!
Honestly Anon not sure what you're on about. Go watch some TV for a while or something until you work out your problems, OK? Feel better!
>>
>>930038
hey it's ok to be casual, don't be cross with me babby casual. this is /n/ - transportation, it should be ok to ride your bike in circles when the conditions are just right and you're in the mood. what counts is that you're riding sometimes, which is an infinitely huge step above never.
>>
>>929963
>MUP
Riding continuously is better than having to stop all the time because of traffic. If you're doing intervals or a long tempo ride it's essential that you not have to stop for whatever reason.
>>
>>929945
Yell "get out of the way" at everyone
>>
File: kd42z46i.png (98 KB, 524x553) Image search: [Google]
kd42z46i.png
98 KB, 524x553
My main training rides contain a brutal amount of steep as shit climbing and my other popular routes either leave the city after about ten miles and go into the middle of nowhere and loop back so the only people I see are insanely fit 50+ year olds tearing shit up and full-blown anorexic kiddos like myself flying up mountain roads with the most efficient cadence known to man.

If I'm doing interval training I tend to stick to the bike path network which runs nowhere near any streets. The only problem with the bike paths around here is that they also contain a foot traffic lane, which nobody bothers to use.

One of the older guys that attends club rides I go on put a bell on his SuperSix (every time I hear it I laugh a little) and it's the only thing I've seen to get people to move aside without coming to a full-stop, turning around, and then contemplating weather to move to the left or to the right.

I remember an old YouTube vid of someone in Tokyo walking being an ocean of pedestrians on the sidewalk and he had a little bike bell with him. Literally every single time he rang it walking up behind people they would just move to the side while still walking without even looking back. There's just something about BELLS MAN.
>>
MUP here is good for the occasional shortcut or in winter when the roads are snowy. But the roads are a faster way to get around. I'll take drivers over pedestrians, children and animals (dogs, geese) any day.
>>
>>929945
ride on the road where they don't go. Stay away from bike paths
>>
>>930064
where I live, bells cause people to scatter in random directions while freaking out. It's weird.
>>
>>929945
>girls giggling and swerving everywhere
Shit niggas, I had an "adventure" with a grill like that.
Riding slow as all shit, swerving like a spastic, not paying attention to anything (she was texting I later learned). Called out that I was attempting to over take, no reaction, but hey I ain't gonna wait for her to go home to ride, so I did perform the manoeuvre and I went extra wide. Didn't help her since she swerved right into me, landed her steerbar on me thigh right before upstroke so obviously I flicked it over and made her land on her stupid ass face. I did help her like a supreme gentleman that I am and I scolded her on the necessity of riding to the right and not being dumb with a bike.
Bitch was more interested in her phone than my handsome self pointing her mistakes.
Anyway, from that time I tend to not go out on hard rides during weekend afternoons.
Cheers.
>>
>>930064

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but that Tokyo video was staged.
>>
Paved paths here are used by assholes walking their dogs with those extendable leashes, or families with 8 little kids - all on bikes - going 3mph in different directions.
The casual cyclists and weekend joggers use bike paths on the road or occupy a regular car lane. They usually ride in the wrong direction and don't give a fuck about traffic rules.
>>
Ive got a very loud bell so I just ring it when im still 10+ seconds away, and everyone just slowly moves over without even looking and I just blow past without having so slow down at all. The only obstruction I get is from deaf old people. I guess thats the advantage of living in an area where pretty much everyone has bells and everyone knows what to do when they hear one.
>>
>>929945
>Exactly 7mph
>while swerving around

Im impressed
>>
>>929945

Mups ok for people watching or chilling out. . A complete clusterfuck if you want a work ou
>>
>>929945
you sound like a elites cock sucker
>>
MUPs are not bad. They are the only way to get some of my friends out and riding.

A car free 1.5 line flat stip of pavement is fun to ride as fast as possible.
>>
Where do you ride when you live in a city and not summer? Car traffic and crossings don't let me maintain speed at all, even though I ride at night.
>>
>>930393
Upper class neighborhoods are usually pretty good places to ride. They usually have low traffic, big fat smooth roads, lots of shade, and interesting terrain. However, go for old money areas, because the nouveau riche are the biggest fucking cunts.
>>
>>930368
we have a nice MUP by a river that's good for a workout at certain times, due to the wind. I guess it's not that much different than doing hill work, except you get more bugs up your nose and in your mouth and lungs and urgh

>>930399
I like noodling around in rich neighborhoods but I can't go even slightly fast because the architecture and stuff is way too interesting. But around here, those neighborhoods are always in places where you're doing some nasty fucking climbs.
>>
File: rickshaw.jpg (473 KB, 1657x705) Image search: [Google]
rickshaw.jpg
473 KB, 1657x705
>>929945
>fair weather cyclists everywhere
is., Habbeening!,, pic>notoday.,
,oooOOOh, waithe wind came up,, all gone!
>>
I like it when the weather cools down. I hate cycling in over 32 degrees celcius. Australian summer sucks for cycling.
>>
Proof of this?

>Female cyclists wearing clit revealing shorts riding five abreast at exactly 7 mph while giggling and swerving everywhere
>>
>fair weather cyclists etc.

Don't give a single shit about them. Far FAR worse are dog owners and people with children

>I don't need a leash! Just let the dog run everywhere!

I swear that one day I will have to either run over a dog or slam right into its owner and I like dogs so I am gonna try and avoid it.

>My little Billy Bob is so good at riding his little scooter thing

Same deal as with the dog. One day little Billy Bob is gonna get his head chopped off by the spokes of my front wheel or something.
>>
>>932513
I actually kind of slammed into a white lab last month. Same one I see every day, never on a leash. It decided my winter tires were making a fun noise and thought it was time to play.

Didn't hurt much and the dog didn't even yelp in pain, it just ran away.

The next day the lady had it on a leash.

I don't mind dogs. You run over a dog, whatever. But kids need to be destroyed. Fuck kids. They ruin everything.
>>
>>932520

I'd prefer not to run over either a dog or a child (if it is a young child).

Both of them don't know what they're doing really and if something goes wrong it's the owners/ parents fault.

I once had to stop really hard because some woman didn't have her tiny fucking terrier dog on a leash and I was centimetres away from breaking its neck. So I stopped and went to the woman who was furious at me which made me so angry I was about to call the police on her. In the end I told her that the next time I see her without her dog on a leash I would slam right into her back because it wasn't the dogs fault she is a dumb bitch.

Never saw her again fortunately.
>>
File: NY Post.jpg (371 KB, 1568x614) Image search: [Google]
NY Post.jpg
371 KB, 1568x614
>>932521
Thing is if it's a dog, you just have an angry owner.

If you snap a little snot nosed brat's neck, it's in the NY Post the next morning and all cyclists will be banned overnight.
>>
>>932525

As I said I try to avoid killing either.

I'd be more than happy to snap some bitching dog owner's neck while trying to avoid killing their dog though.
>>
>>932525
I wonder if Amsterdam has problems with retard cyclists. We had cycling education in Australia (or at least I did but I didn't pay any attention and didn't care).

With zero education or awareness about what you're supposed to do as a cyclist you can have people who have cycled all their lives unaware of basic shit like hook turns.
>>
>>932531

The worst thing about cycling in the Netherlands in general is that motorized scooters are allowed on the bike paths. They are utter assholes and way faster than the bikes.

Other than that their whole country is tailored so much around cyclists that it is really nice riding a bike there.
>>
>>932539
That sounds really annoying. People ride e-bikes on bicycle paths here and it's obvious that they don't really know what they're doing and they are super risky in their behavior.

On outer cycling paths I've been overtaken by fully fledged motorcycles before that were loud as fuck, but only a couple of times. I think it's rare, pretty annoying to get a face full of smog though.

Are there asshole cyclists who gotta go fast?
>>
>>932546

I didn't encounter any really. Most dutchies ride those fietse city bicycle things at a normal pace.

But then again I am from Germany and only have been there a couple of times to visit friends. The scooter guys were the worst though!
>>
>>932432
>"Whatchu lookin' at, homo?"
Give that kid a gun for some WWII reenactments.
>>
check
not that common yet but check
none yet
rare in the wild, no groupies yet
if you're on the road here you're inherently going to have to deal with it
tfw 95F rides for the next few months

oh, this is THE season for road races apparently
shit sux
>>
>>930198
people jump on their phone in the face of any social experience they dont prefer over staring at their phone. it happens all the time
>>
don't see the dog problem depending on the weather, people walking them without leash in winter too. It is much harder to stop on a snowy road. I found with enough experience you just know when the dog notices you, she will try to run under your wheels, it is up to you if you want to avoid running over. Of course, plausible deniability is all yours.
>>
>>930025
also
>want more people to ride
>ridicule "freds" for doing it wrong
>>
>>929950
This. Except in colorado it takes more to stop being considered a fair weather cyclist because there are so many
>>
File: 1457552707895-1.jpg (56 KB, 428x556) Image search: [Google]
1457552707895-1.jpg
56 KB, 428x556
>>930198
> Not riding really hard and going aggressively fast all the time
>>
File: 1454864456089.jpg (769 KB, 1410x940) Image search: [Google]
1454864456089.jpg
769 KB, 1410x940
>>
File: 6kjZTRw.jpg (479 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
6kjZTRw.jpg
479 KB, 3264x2448
>>932715
Full time Denver commuter here. And I do mean full time (pic related, 4:00AM, 1 foot of snow)

I was really enjoying having the cherry creek trail to myself all winter, now that it's full of stravassholes I just want to kill myself every day.
>>
More than that, I hate those putrid fucking cunts that thing it's acceptable to do 90mph canyon runs in the middle of the fucking day and get mad when they almost kill you. That's why I carry a gun in my jersey now.
>>
>>932725
Oh my god, I know your pain. I can't go to work without having to weave through countless people on cheap areofix bikes that still use the freehub.
>>
>>929945
>>female cyclists wearing clit revealing shorts
You whot m8?
>>
>>932725
I hate cc trail and that entire area desu... too many people. It gets better once you leave the city and get to the suburbs. I am more of a fair weather cyclist though.
>>
>>932782
yeah, I usually take highline instead for DAT GRAVEL

rode deer creek canyon twice this week, was great. pathletes can't hang.
>>
I try to go far enough to avoid the fair-weather faggots. In greater Boston it's just a question of density, but if I leave early on the weekends I can generally make it outside the worst of the suburbs by the time people start getting up and out.

When I was at uni there was a bike path which got clogged with the shit described by OP every weekend, so I took long rides into the middle of nowhere or up a mountain or both.

Pic related. Saw other cyclists once or twice on the road going up to the pass and never going to the summit.
>>
File: troudo.jpg (770 KB, 2461x961) Image search: [Google]
troudo.jpg
770 KB, 2461x961
>>
>>929945
Where the fuck do you live and cycle? Do you not have roads?
>>
>>936816
What's the red light above the stop sign for?
>>
File: 1403471941724.jpg (92 KB, 706x720) Image search: [Google]
1403471941724.jpg
92 KB, 706x720
>>936826
It's a visual sign for you to stop.
Also
It never jumps to green, because there is no green
Imagine linving there...
>>
>>936830
>inb4 some old man who's been stuck there for 50 years waiting for the light to go green
>>
File: ants.jpg (179 KB, 793x411) Image search: [Google]
ants.jpg
179 KB, 793x411
>>936826
its, a blinky lite, at KILL intearsection., approch with EXTREEEEEME caution.
>>
>>936839
Do you have a flag on your bike? Recumbents seem fucking dangerous in that people can barely see you.
>>
File: pass.jpg (414 KB, 1949x1099) Image search: [Google]
pass.jpg
414 KB, 1949x1099
>>936840
>barely see you
, yet Riveting!, like a small child in the road?,,
,,,, my , ora,, is 12 feats.,, PIC> normal pass, even with oncomeing traffic just seconds away,, and double yellow., im more afraid they will SLAM HEAD ON passing me,, then ill be in the shrapnel cloud!
,, i watch them like,,, my life ,, and thiers,depends on it.
>>
ON YER LEFT

t. carbon dentist
>>
>>929957
>being Dutch

you deserve it
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 399x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 399x600
>>929945
Finally don't have to clean my drivetrain of rain seasons all the time.

But now I get invites to coffee shop rides and "super commutes" and ask what sportives I'm shelling money for... Sigh
>>
>>937380
>image.jpg
That rustled my jimmies. I can't decide what about his kit I hate the most.
>>
>>929945
why must you sour our hobby with your senseless elitism
>>
>>937386
I don't see anything elitist. The bike path might not be a road for cars, but it's still a road, and people need to treat it like one.
>>
>>929945
>How do you stay in shape during the off season, /n/?
Oh I'm sorry you can't post this thread on /n/, because it's obviously about FITNESS and TRAINING on a bike, not using one for transportation, and the Gods of /n/ have deemed that Unacceptable. You'll have to permaban yourself, never return to 4chan again.
>>
>>937381
Do trihards even call it "kit"? I'm sure they have some oh so unique term for their lycra diapers.
>>
>>937380
The face on that guy, some ones getting raped tonight
>>
>>937390
>it's still a road
he said "hobby", obviously he doesn't need to get anywhere. that's what the cage is for.
>>
File: saunaofhell.jpg (126 KB, 1275x1650) Image search: [Google]
saunaofhell.jpg
126 KB, 1275x1650
>fair weather
>>
I both cycle and walk dogs. It's pretty easy to be polite to cyclists on sidewalk paths by taking myself and the dogs into the grass, but there was once a time I was walking in a wooded area, I had to squeeze myself and my dogs into some trees since three cyclists were cycling down a sand path not wide enough for passing, rather than safely walking their bikes through such a narrow area.
>>
>>937610
I cannot see the difference between the equatorial rainforest and humid subtropical colors. TBF I'm red/green colorblind
>>
>>937616
The area around Jupiter, according to this map, is Af. The northern boundary on this map of Af is at nearly the same parallel the line above the word "Jupiter" is.
>>
>>937301
>you deserve it
I do deserve thousands of miles of cycle paths.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.