[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a reason to avoid this type of toe clip?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: mks toeclip 1.jpg (45 KB, 656x500) Image search: [Google]
mks toeclip 1.jpg
45 KB, 656x500
Is there a reason to avoid this type of toe clip?
>>
>>929929
Yeah, clipless pedals were invented
>>
>>929930
This.

There's nothing really wrong with an open toe clip - but there's almost no advantage to choosing that kind of pedal over flat/caged/clipless.
>>
>>929930
I did lie them, I had knock off SPD pedals on my bike ( brand was welgo) and I couldn't clip into them for the life of me

And if they rarely clipped it was hard to clip out and has caused me to almost fall over due to the unreliable spring tension

I want a casual system that I don't have to clomp around in autist shoeswhen I ride to starbucks
>>
>>929933
>buying generic knockoff shit for $20
>it didn't work for shit
>oh I know what to do! I'd better go spend $85 on obsolete fixie hipster bling that was state of the art in 1965 and briefly fashionable from 2003 to 2006
let this be a lesson for you: don't cheap out and you'll spend less in the long run

also I'm really confused by the fact that you bought knockoff shimano, and then you went and bought brand name fixie hipster shit when the knockoff shimano failed you
>>
>>929934
Reddit said welgo pedals were really good on par with shimano.

They said all pedals are about the same until you spend LOOK money
>>
File: bait.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>929935
fuck off, you're not going to get me with that piss poor excuse for bait. maybe someone else will fall for it
>>
>>929934
you make a fair point, but you completely ignored the more relevant bit of that post
>>I want a casual system that I don't have to clomp around in autist shoeswhen I ride to starbucks

I used to run Powergrips and really liked them, OP. only downside was that, at the time at least (90s version) the width was set with nuts and bolts thru holes in the strap. if you often wore say, Chucks and Jordans, your Powergrips were set for only one of those unless you wanted to break out the wrenches every time. "It's rainy and muddy, I'm going to wear my boots today." Nope. but you could always flip the strap under and ride the flat. worked fine but paranoia about snags.

hopefully these days they have a fine adjust like a snowboard binding but maybe not. if I wanted foot retention again I'd totally go with them but I just get better overall results with flats in the city.
>>
File: Dice Tan LT.jpg (2 MB, 3678x2615) Image search: [Google]
Dice Tan LT.jpg
2 MB, 3678x2615
>>929999
Get doublesided clipless/flat then, if you insist on pretending there are no casual clipless shoes...
>>
>>929930
>Yeah, clipless pedals were invented

>having to buy autismo bike shoes
>wearing lycra
>wearing a kit

this why nobody likes amerilard cyclists
>>
>>930026
Found the dutchfag

How's the new bike repair business going? You invested in a second hammer yet?
>>
>>929929
not really - i prefer being snugged down in a strap though
>>
>>929929
The main point of a toe clip is to hold the strap open when you loosen it, so you can enter and remove the trap easily. Half clips only give a trivial amount of foot retention, with much of the inconvenience of having to flip your pedals. They are mostly favored by people who wear sneakers, and are afraid of their foot not coming out in a crash, but want more than flats. However, stiff velcro straps have been invented that don't need a clip to hold them open. They won't position your foot as precisely but will give much better foot retention.
>>
>>929934
Nothing wrong with wellgo, moron is just an idiot that can't clip out, and is probably trying to force his toes out and messing up the release.
>>
>>930079
This pretty much
>>
File: 2113_71461.jpg (72 KB, 1040x726) Image search: [Google]
2113_71461.jpg
72 KB, 1040x726
>>930001
Yep. Get yourself some Shimano PD-T780 pedals; they've got a nice platform if you don't want to put on your bike shoes for a ride to the grocery store or whatever.
>>
>>929929

I ride half-clips on my beater.

Platforms just feel weird to me. I'm used to having at least a little bit of foot retention - I grew up riding full cages but usually never bothered to tighten up the straps. There's no real point in having lateral foot retention if you're just cruising around.
>>
>>929933
>starbucks
>>
>>930001
holy fuck those are ugly
>>
>>929929
After about six or so miles, my toes start to fall asleep. Not sure if it's the clip or the shoes (chuck Taylor's). Probably it's a combination of the two.
>>
>>930563
Shoe, my feet swell up a little while riding. I had to jump 2 sizes from a 42 to a 44 and start wearing compression socks.

There may be a chance your bike fit is off but try above 1st
>>
>>930027
he's not wrong. there's no autism quite like bike queer autism
>>
>>929933
>fucking starbucks
>>
>>930027
not even dutch, but you cannot deny that the netherlands are years ahead in every possible aspect compared to you, lardies :^)
>>
File: 19680.jpg (68 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
19680.jpg
68 KB, 350x350
>>929929

Half clips are fantastic. I run these MKS ones

They are great for city riding, where you have to frequently pull your feet off the pedals.

The unrecognized advantage is that, once stopped, you use the half clip to pull your cranks up into the ready-to-go position.

Half clips are better than full clips if you are not racing and need them primarily to do this crank positioning adjustment as a stop.
>>
>actually putting a foot down ever while riding

When are you guys going to learn to trackstand effortlessly (can do it no hands for 30s +) so you can exit intersections safely?
>>
>>929933
>don't have to clomp around in autist shoes
You mean like SPDs and recessed cleat shows?

I wear mine all day
>>
>>930548
So get different ones, there are hundreds of styles.
>>
>>930748
cantstopdontwantto
>>
File: IMG_20150624_184206328_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150624_184206328_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 2432x4320
>>929929
>>929933
>>929999
>>930534
>>
>>929999
>hopefully these days they have a fine adjust like a snowboard binding but maybe not.

They still need a 4mm allen and a minute or 2 to adjust.

I wear the same pair of shoes every time I ride so it has been a few years since I set my powergrips up.
>>
File: 1310890916510.jpg (45 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1310890916510.jpg
45 KB, 480x480
since this is a pedal thread,

should I change to clipless ?
I'm just getting into cross country and would really like to get into bikepacking this year.
or should I stay flat ?
>>
File: holdfast3.jpg (53 KB, 900x513) Image search: [Google]
holdfast3.jpg
53 KB, 900x513
>>931066
There are much better pedals then powergrips. You can add straps to almost any flat pedal.

>>931075
Starting out mtbing with flats gives you better bike control/skill sets then going clipless right off the bat. Hike a bike is also much easier with flats and grippy shoes.

You could also try things like
>pic related
>>
>>931101

cool , thanks
would you think upgrading pedals is of high priority ?
is there a noticable difference between flat pedals ?
>>
>>931214
There are just like any bike part theres dependable and theres bling/igh end

These Chromags>>931029 are mint

Post your current setup + shoes you id in and budget and I'll see if i can recommend something.
>>
>>930001
really want to get a pair of dzr's. Those are spd cleats correct?
>>
>>931029

Pegged flats are nice for trail riding and stuff but for road, it's nice to have your toes retained in the vertical even if it's just a little bit.
>>
>>931029

>this kills the shin
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.