[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm getting into downhill mtn biking. I'm 5'6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 00n0n_bkLsCZRIkR3_600x450.jpg (41 KB, 600x356) Image search: [Google]
00n0n_bkLsCZRIkR3_600x450.jpg
41 KB, 600x356
I'm getting into downhill mtn biking. I'm 5'6 so this size small is perfect for me

https://bend.craigslist.org/bik/5462606537.html

What parts might need to be ugraded? I'd like to be able to lock the suspension for going uphill
>>
>>927664
>I'd like to be able to lock the suspension for going uphill
Then you should probably get a bike with lockout... m8...

also check pinkbike.com/buysell
>>
$1500 a bit steep for a used entry level alloy mtb I think? I got a fairly high end carbon enduro bike for like $1600, albeit a few years old
>>
That's not a downhill bike. That's a trail/all mountain/enduro/buzzword of the month bike. Which is fine if that's how you intend to ride, but a downhill sled it is not. Considering you want to be able to ride up hill I'm guessing you don't actually want a downhill bike anyway. IN that case the Norco is probably all good, just needs a dropper post, a thorough check over before handing over any money and to badger him down $200.
>>
>>927820
>>927842
I talked him down to $1200 so I'm extremely happy with this buy
and yes i plan on doing just about everything with this, not just downhill
>>
>>927664

I would have gone for a medium or large. It might sound stupid but this helps keeping the bike under control and the general trend is frame lengths getting longer and slacker due to this.
>>
>>927842
>dropper post
Nice meme.
>>
>>927905
I'm around 6' and my large (19" I think, maybe 19.5) is perfect for me. Large would be *way* too big for OP.
>>
Wait. OP is 5'6". Is OP a femanon? If so, post a pic of you (with your bike - it is /n/ related!).
>>
>>928341
>I haven't seen a girl since I left my basement 2 weeks ago
>>
>>928339
>>928339
Meme? Dropper posts are essential if you like to do anything technical. More confidence, more control.
>>
>>928375
So apparently no one ever rode technical terrain until the last few years? Get fucked. Dropper posts are a fucking meme and if you need one for anything (even enduro) then you are a shit-tier cyclist.
>more confidence
Maybe if you're so much of a shitter that you need stupid gimmicks to be worth anything as a cyclist.
>>
File: banshee-rune.jpg (80 KB, 730x548) Image search: [Google]
banshee-rune.jpg
80 KB, 730x548
>>928464

If you can't live without one, you're an amateur. But if you choose to live without one, because you think that it makes you a shitty rider is just plain stupidity. There's a reason why DH riders don't have their seats all the way up, and that's because it makes for a better ride down hill if you have a higher degree of movement on your bike. Why not use a dropper post to obtain the same possibility while riding regular MTB? I'm riding without one on my hardtail, since I don't really use it for technical stuff, but wouldn't live without the one on my AM bike.

By using your logic, riding anything else than some of the first bikes made, makes you a shitty rider. Why use suspension? We've got arms for that, and did just fine without it before. Why disc brakes, when rim brakes managed to slow you down and so on..
>>
>>927664
I would look for something more collectible, never to early to start thinking about your retirement
>>
>>928464
Only shitty riders need it but it surely helps with handling the technical stuff. You should be able to do just fine without, but even better with. There's a reason why a lot of the pro enduro/am/whatever riders use a dropper, and that's because it makes for a better ride. Just like improved suspension, better frames, stiffer wheels, wider bars and everything else the bike industry has improved while MTB has existed.
>>
Just picked up a cheap KS e-ten dropper to try one out and see how use full it would really be. The answer is really use full. I use it more than I thought I would. No I don't need to use it but I can hit things faster and easier with it.
>>
>>928464
Found the dirt roadie who walks every tech section. You ever see those old bike videos where they try to ride tech with seats up their asses? Sure, they get through it with skill, but at walking pace. With a dropper and modern bikes you can hit that shit way faster.
>>
>>928545
>If you can't live without one, you're an amateur
>wouldn't live without the one on my AM bike.
Oh look, an amateur!
>By using your logic, riding anything else than some of the first bikes made, makes you a shitty rider. Why use suspension? We've got arms for that, and did just fine without it before. Why disc brakes, when rim brakes managed to slow you down and so on..
I didn't say that advances in bicycle technology in general are bad. Suspension and discs are great. I look forward to the day when disc brakes on road bikes are the norm (and yes, that day is coming). Dropper posts, however, are a meme.
>>928561
>use full
New to English?
>>
>>928604
> Disc breaks
New to cycling? Based on your dumb-ass comments on droppers I'm guessing so. The spelling you're looking for is "brake".
>>
File: trollface.png (22 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
trollface.png
22 KB, 235x235
>>928607
trolled
>>
>>928606
I wrote "Wouldn't live without one", not "Couldn't live without one". Big difference.

You still haven't answered why you hate them as much as you do. They're a great way to improve the amount of control when riding down hill, and it's just a fact that a lower saddle = better control. Just argue why it's a bad thing. And come up with something better than "Everyone who uses one is an amateur".

And by commenting on another persons spelling, you lose the argument instantly. Not everyone, including me, speaks english as their main language.
>>
>>928464
>>927664
Hey OP. Don't listen to this guy. He just likes getting his ass spanked by the seat everytime he descents a hill. Get a dropper post. It really helps to bring out the full potential of your bike when you point the bike down hill.
>>
>>928605
This! Riding a tech section isn't impossible without a dropper, but it's easier to blast your way through the rough stuff without having the pace of a trial rider..
>>
File: WP_20160223_19_18_37_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160223_19_18_37_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
Dropper posts are amazing. Once you use one you prob won't go back. I was really skeptical but I use it all the time. They are too expensive though.
>>
>>928758
If you wouldn't live without one that means you'd kill yourself if you couldn't have one so that's basically the same as being unable to live without one.

It's a bad thing because they are a pointless gimmick. Bicycles should be mechanical, not electronic. Same with Di2 and e-bikes and everything else. If you want that shit go ride a fucking motorcycle. Bicycles should be simple mechanical machines. (computers are fine btw because they aren't actually part of the bike and don't contribute to the functioning of the bike)

>spelling
I didn't say the person's opinion is less valid because of their spelling and I didn't mean it in an offensive way. I asked in a friendly way if anon is new to English.
>>928759
Get a dropper post right away on your first mtb, learn to rely on it way too much, and be a shit-tier cyclist the rest of your life.
>>928787
If you want to make things as easy as possible then drive a fucking monster truck instead of ride a bike. Then kill yourself for being a death caging faggot.
>>
>>928912
> Bicycles should be mechanical, not electronic.
Wow, fucking wow. Do you have absolutely no idea how a dropper post works? They're entirely mechanical, using either hydraulics and pneumatics or springs. Sure, you could technically make an electronically controlled one (perhaps one even exists) but it would be stupid.

>Same with Di2 and e-bikes
Whilst I'm not a fan of electronic shifting I can see the usefulness to some people, it can potentially shift much quicker and actuate both derailers automatically at the same time (you could in theory have just one shifter).

As for electrically assisted bikes, as an owner of one I love them (electric motorcycles also interest me but that's completely different, also electric cars). They bring huge advantages both on and off road.

Fair enough if you don't like something, that's fine by me, but by shitting on legitimately useful technology you're making yourself look like an idiot.
>>
>>928912
>shitposting this badly
>>
>>928912
Ok, I give up. You're clearly stupid or something. First of all, there's only a single electronic dropper post on the market. All the other dropper posts you can get, work with the same technology as your fork. Or your brakes. Or maybe even your gears. They are either mechanical or hydraulic.

Second of all. You tell him to avoid a dropper post, because making things easier isn't a good thinig. That just proves my earlier point, where I told you that by your logic, we should all ride rigid SS bikes with 28x700c tires when we go mountainbiking, or else we're making it too easy for ourselves.

But as I said. I give up. You're clearly stuck in 1998, while being convinced that everything else invented after that year is some kind of shitty gimmick for your bike. You don't even know how a dropper works, and yet with your ignorance and lack of knowledge about it, you try to give advice about getting one or not. Why not start giving advice on programming, plane aerodynamics or train-construction while you're at it. You'd probably be as helpful there as you are in this thread.
>>
>>928912
You could have just said/realized you are a retrogrouch to avoid having to argue against bike tech. Hydraulic brakes are not mechanical. Do you only have cable-actuated rim brakes? Hydraulic discs are for motorcyles, aren't they?
>>
I never really liked MTB culture and I like it even less after reading this thread

thank you for confirming why road bikes are best
>>
>>929024
Go back to your lycra loving friends, roadie. You don't belong in this thread. We'll leave you alone if you just let us dislike >>928912 for hating on something he doesn't know anything about, without you commenting on it. And at least we're not shallow and judgemental enough to judge an entire part of the biking culture, based on a single thread on 4chan, like you just did. :)
>>
>>927664
A dh bike is never going to go uphill well. You dont need a metric dickton of travel to ride a DH trail. I do it on a 100mm XC bike w/ a dropper.
>>
>>929004
Hydraulic mechanical systems are a type of mechanic systems.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.