[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't velomobiles more popular? They're more efficient,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10
File: Glyde.Interbike1450 bal.jpg (155 KB, 1450x724) Image search: [Google]
Glyde.Interbike1450 bal.jpg
155 KB, 1450x724
Why aren't velomobiles more popular? They're more efficient, go faster, and (most importantly) they look cooler.
>>
Why aren't this thread more popular? It's more efficient, it goes faster, and (most importantly) it's way cooler.
>>
Why aren't this O.P. more popular? He more efficient, he goes faster, and (most importantly) he way cooler.
>>
File: Tiverton Towpath.jpg (135 KB, 900x450) Image search: [Google]
Tiverton Towpath.jpg
135 KB, 900x450
Why aren't horseboats more popular? They're more efficient, go faster (ok, maybe not), and (most importantly) they look cooler.
>>
File: you_gotta_be_shitting_me.jpg (53 KB, 612x660) Image search: [Google]
you_gotta_be_shitting_me.jpg
53 KB, 612x660
Why aren't memes more popular? Memes are more efficient, go faster, and (most importantly) they look cooler.
>>
>>922975
There are some people in big positions that do want to lose their oil revenue
>>
File: VelomobileMango.jpg (302 KB, 1600x1018) Image search: [Google]
VelomobileMango.jpg
302 KB, 1600x1018
>>
>>
File: 1220246839186.jpg (130 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1220246839186.jpg
130 KB, 600x750
>>923015
But oil company executives are the only ones wealthy enough to even buy a velomobile!
>>
File: C C C Combo.jpg (40 KB, 512x533) Image search: [Google]
C C C Combo.jpg
40 KB, 512x533
>>923015
>>
Because they're ridiculously expensive, and nowhere near as practical as a regular bike, both for storage and city use. Amazing for long trips though.
>>
>>922975
>and (most importantly) they look cooler.

Which is also completely subjective
>>
>>922975
it's an awkard inbetween. Part of the appeal of bikes is how cheap and easy it is to start.
Velomobiles cost several thousand, like, 10k dollars. You can get a solid used car for that money.
>>
>>922975
On my worst day I'll still smoke anyone in a 'velomobile' on their best day on any long climb. Also, you look like you're inside a giant dildo on wheels. Not cool.
>>
>>923305
On your best day they will smoke you on the flats. Shell provides privacy for concentric dildo use within as well!
>you will never be able to un-imagine it
>>
It looks stupid, that's why
>>
>>922975
they let you go fast, but offer none of the protection the car gives you.

essentially they are Linux of transportation
>>
>>923342

In a stop and go situation, high traffic roads with intersections. A safety bicycle should be faster, even on flat roads. I you compare hpv world records for the kilo or 500m time trial to those of UCI track, the track ones are faster. That's even with the benefit of HPV having gears and track being fixed. Flying 200 times are the same as well.
>>
File: bikee trik.jpg (407 KB, 1279x960) Image search: [Google]
bikee trik.jpg
407 KB, 1279x960
>>923437
,,,,,,,,,,?
>>923370
>protection
,,again,,,?
, Wind, Raiin,,slide on side,,smokeing,, bugs, prying eyes while i nakd,, Dropbears!
,,, and the Psycee of being biggest phalis.,/o/ is scrotal and flatulence.
>>
They're dangerous as fuck because you're in peoples' blind spots constantly that or target fixation, enjoy a bumper to the face, even a motorcycle will kill you. At least you stick out more on a upright bicycle. Plus they handle like a literal dildo, have fun falling over and getting turned into road pizza with carbon on top.

They're also waaayyy too slow for most North American cities. A lot of inner city roads reach over 100kph. Doing 20kph in one of these is just "asking for it" in many different ways.
>>
>>923017
YOU DARE CHALLENGE SNEK?
>>
>>923484
>A lot of inner city roads reach over 100kph

what

In any case you can I don't know maybe avoid those?

>Doing 20kph in one of these is just "asking for it" in many different ways.

Good thing even a filthy casul could easily break 30 km/h and someone more serious would be able to consistently hold 50.
>>
>>923495

Sometimes you can't avoid roads like that in a big city.

Yeah right, I've heard that bullshit before. Even if they can do 50 that's still dangerously slow for most roads. I can guarantee most of the owners of these things aren't going to be using the shoulder, they're going to be in the middle of the lane blocking traffic.

Recumbents are supposed to be fast too yet there's always that piece of shit riding in the middle of the lane doing 15kph with 200 cars behind him.
>>
>>922975
Because they cost as much as a used car without having some of the advandages of it (like heating, ad not requiring you to get tired)
Also because they are heavy as shit whenever you need to climb.
>>
>>923511
>Sometimes you can't avoid roads like that in a big city.
Wait, 100kph is 62 mph.
That would HAVE to be a freeway.
No surface streets are that fast.

Is OP asking about Velos vs cars? Or Velos vs bikes?
>>
>>926399
Here in middle Burgeria, cities embraced automobile-driven sprawl into formerly-rural areas. This has resulted in 4- and 6-lane main roadways through low-density commercial development with posted speed limits ranging from 60-90km/hr (converted from John Bull units).
>>
>>926447
Look at metro Detroit, for example. All of the N/S streets are 3+ boulevards at 80 km/h.
>>
One for sale here in los angles ca in craiglist
>>
Because poorfags can't afford them and richfags live in the hills where they just don't make any sense to ride.
>>
File: bikerer.jpg (217 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bikerer.jpg
217 KB, 1024x768
nude.
>>
>>922975
>they look cooler.

No they fucking don't anon. That looks fucking retarded as shit.
>>
>>922975
They look like gigantic dildoes with wheels.
They're heavy and slow on the climbs.
They're too expensive for what you get out of them.
Worst of all there are no real races for them.
Fail, fail, fail.
>>
>>929744
indeed,
to Bro culture, they are some weird gay ass shit that the Bro will never be seen in
to the conservative, they are some some Liberal Hippy Earth-Mobile bullshit they won't give a fuck for
to the soccer mom, they are a death trap. unless little Jimmy can ride it on the sidewalk, just the though of what would happen if one is hit by a car would keep them away from her family.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.