[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ARC 3D Printed Steel Bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
Apparently this has the same weight as a typical steel bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqj8Vok1bKM

But considering it is SS I wouldn't be surprised if they are stretching the truth and comparing it to a geared bike.

Still pretty cool.

Will the future of bikes we 3D printed with other materials? I have no idea if aluminum or even carbon could be manufactured like this.
>>
Here's a carbon weave frame. I saw a bike in this style back in 2008. Pretty cool. If a machine could make this cheap it could be the look of bikes in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5geuQOuianI
>>
>>922653
>3D printed metal that isn't just polymer-coated powder sintered together

That's pretty dope actually
>>
Dat fork is flex city tho
>>
>>922653
Next year they'll make a printed bridge to ride that bike over.

https://youtu.be/pZNTzkAR1Ho
>>
>>922653
I would think 3D printed gets no heat treatment and grain structure optimization or some metallurgical wizardry and stuff
>>
And of course it's a brakeless fixie
>>
>>922653
>But considering it is SS I wouldn't be surprised if they are stretching the truth and comparing it to a geared bike.
Or a hiten piece of fixie shit.

>>922656
Not aero

>>922658
>polymer

>>922666
This is true. Also, the bike is entirely welds, and HAZs are the weakest parts of a frame, and welding rods usually aren't great steel
>>
File: ALL3[1].jpg (63 KB, 900x404) Image search: [Google]
ALL3[1].jpg
63 KB, 900x404
>>922653
>Apparently this has the same weight as a typical steel bike:

Fucking how?
They cant manipulate the grain structure as they do with forging.
Maybe the skeleton structure makes up for that?
>>
>>922682
>>922678
>>922666
Hmm,maybe I should read the thread in the future b4 commenting. . .
>>
>>922678
>the bike is entirely welds,
true

>and HAZs are the weakest parts of a frame,
true

>and welding rods usually aren't great steel

I'll have to disagree with you here. Granted, I'm coming at this from a civil engineering perspective, but I was taught that weld material should be stronger than the base material, HAZ notwithstanding.

Granted, civils also think that 70ksi is high strength.
>>
>>922707
>>and welding rods usually aren't great steel
>I'll have to disagree with you here.

I'm not saying (stainless) welding rods are made out of low quality steel, but they're certainly not made from specialized high strength steels used for bicycles. Even 4130 is usually welded with mild steel and not 4130.
>>
>>922709
Oh right, I forgot it was stainless. Yeah, that's not going to be as strong.

>Even 4130 is usually welded with mild steel and not 4130.

I guess you're referring to e60xx filler then? I'm used to thinking of e60xx as stronger than the grade 36 or grade 50 members being welded.
>>
I'm waiting for a 3d printed aluminum bike

no more weld cracks will be nice and no more weakening the aluminum via welding
>>
File: 1442792356037.jpg (96 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1442792356037.jpg
96 KB, 900x900
>>922724
>>
>>922653
Wouldn't have made more sense to use the 3D Printer to create a mold then have one cast?
>>
>>922771

Is it sad that the first thing I thought when I saw that photo was
>nice weld bead
>>
File: 1450059775398.jpg (2 MB, 2250x3000) Image search: [Google]
1450059775398.jpg
2 MB, 2250x3000
>>922653
>typical steel bike
I'm pretty sure that weights a lot, I hope they don't compare the weight to ´´typical´´ steel mamacharis bikes.

It's nice to see the advances of 3D printing, but please, don't make a bike, because bikes are one of the most designed machines in the world, you can't make a shit bike with 3D printing and say it's good because it's probably worse than a low range alu bike from a good brand in terms of efficiency.

All those holes I'm sure they are not good for aerodinamics and they still put on the bike a fucking pair of aero garbon rims.

Oh, and that long seatpost that should be cut because the frame can't let it lower and I doub't someone want to rise all that lenght the saddle.

Also, no bottlecages, no rack/mudguards mounts,
>>
>>923052
Forgot to say that bike would be a pain in the ass to clean it, you can't simply pass a wet cloth over it.
>>
>>922771
I was referring to DMLS and not what OP posted

http://www.avid3dprinting.com/dmls/
>>
I'll be impressed when they can 3D print a full titanium frame in one piece. This example is just a TIG welder on a robot arm, and the carbon truss is functionally the same. 3D full print, with internal cubic octet truss honeycomb will be the beezneez though.
>>
>>922653
pleasekillme.jpg ?
>>
>>923052
>>923053
>wat is a fucking proof of concept
autists these days, I swear…
>>
No no no no no, it doesn't make sense to 3D print a bike. 3D printing is so radically misunderstood. The purpose of 3D printing is rapid prototyping. Any other use of it isn't practical time-wise, cost-wise, or effort-wise. Any modern manufacturing process is faster cheaper and more efficient. So many college student these days think it's the future of manufacturing. Anyone who does obvious has no exposure to the two. I'm in industrial engineering student and our professors are always pressing to us that it's gimmicky to the extreme. The masses think it's like a create-all process. It's so annoying. I promise you this bike cost THOUSANDS of dollars just to have a heavy steel frame with a shitty fork.
>>
>>925068
>I'm a student and I know everything
It's expensive and inefficient now. You talk like those people who thought computers were never going to be good for anything except spreadsheets and pong.
>>
>>925069
If you had actually worked with both rapid prototyping and manufacturing you'd understand exactly what I mean. Until we get better technology on the microscopic scale, it won't be more efficient. Go shill your 3D memes somewhere else buddy
>>
>>922836
3D printing a mold would is just super resource intensive and would be neigh impossible to fix if a part of the mold was fucked up. The mold would likely take a shit ton of pressure to actually inject that design. That said if it could be done somewhat effectively on a large scale i'd buy one of these things.
>>
>>922724
>I'm waiting for a 3d printed aluminum bike
I'd be willing to bet it will be a loooong time before you see any common 3D printed consumer item.

3D printing is great for industrial prototyping and it's fun for hobbyists to play with, but it is horribly slow as a manufacturing process.

Also: OP bike is troll bike----deep-section rims on a frame that has 10X the drag of a normal tube frame
>>
>>922653
>typical steel bike

because it's 1947 and all bikes are steel framed?
>>
>>925384
lrn2english you mong
>>
>>922682
>Fucking how?

The structural optimization that is capable by 3D printing could potentially make up for the sub-standard material properties.
>>
>>925573
I really doubt it considering the thickness of each of the members and the roughness of superfluous material.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.