[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
new automated tram timetables in Melbourne
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11
File: IMG_0049.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0049.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
new automated tram timetables in Melbourne
>>
That's cool.

In London (England), they recently implemented timetables that uses e-ink.

In my city, they hang up (paper) timetables at busier stops. If not, you call a number and enter in your bus stop number and it will give you the next arrivals.

Though, they want to install LED timetables inside bus shelters in the future.
>>
>>917194
Why is it so low tech?

Did they put it in the request for proposals that it has to last 30 years without maintenance _AND_ be abbo-proof?
>>
>>917194
useless if they are out of whack. In victoria, BC, they have paper printed ones and they are always on time, within 30 secs. In my city, calgary, even real time GPS information is off sometimes by 5 minutes.
>>
>>917200
tramtracker always been pretty accurate
>>
>>917196
>>
File: claude-foisy_interaction.jpg (189 KB, 618x408) Image search: [Google]
claude-foisy_interaction.jpg
189 KB, 618x408
>>917194
They've started installing bus shelters with big tablet-like information tablets in Montreal. They're pretty neat.
>>
>>917196
>>917211
I really like the look of that.

In Minnesota major bus stops have route maps and timetables displayed. Most stops have stop numbers where you can text the stop number to a phone number and it will reply with the next buses arriving. Otherwise the GPS data is given publicly so there are several apps but you can just look up a bustop online or have it determine your bus stop by your phone's GPS and it will give you the next buses.
Trains display the next two departure times on low tech LED displays.
>>
File: cap1.jpg (64 KB, 434x720) Image search: [Google]
cap1.jpg
64 KB, 434x720
>>917236
We have bus stops with large LCD panels in Sydney, but all they display is ads. Amazingly, they haven't been vandalised yet despite the areas they're in
>>
>>917253
>but all they display is ads
What a waste. Why bother wiring up a bus shelter if all it's only going to serve that purpose?
>>
>>917277
Because the advertising company paid for it.

The city probably gets a cut of ad revenue too.

They probably justified the giving away of public space to private corporation by saying the backlight on the screen provides illumination for waiting bus passengers during the night time.
>>
>>917194
how long before a pack of feral lebs starts taking sledgehammers to them
>>
>>917194
Why the fuck haven't they got google transit yet? So fucking annoying when I was there a couple years ago and they still haven't added it.
>>
>>917253
At night these things are too bright for my eyes to look at. They need to dim the fuck down.
>>
>>917194
Something similar in Toronto. These small ones I know are on all Streetcar services and are being rolled out across the bus system. We also have large schedule displays at the stations.
>>
fucking just use your phone
>>
>>917393
>everybody should carry an internet connected tracking device
>>
>>917414
Its 2016 god damnit
>>
File: LUBLIN_120729543_AR_-1_0.jpg (68 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
LUBLIN_120729543_AR_-1_0.jpg
68 KB, 800x533
Lublin, Poland
>>
Fearin of them become vandalized? Place them out of reach and in panzer cases like there.
>>
>>917194
noy you
>>
>>917196
About fucking time!

E-paper has only been commercially available for 15 years! Given how cheap it is now, we really deserve every bus stop in Britain having a vandalcase containing an e-paper sheet – carrying live running / next bus info and disruption alerts – hooked up to an ultralight computer (raspberryPi type), a passive radioreceiver for ID tags attached to the buses, and a GPRS data dongle (or wired into a telephone pole if nearby). Each stop would report the arrival-departure of a bus vehicle via SMS to a central server, which would then SMS the latest projection of arrival time to all the other stops on the route if it differs from the timetable. Similarly SMS could be used to broadcast cancellations, snow closures, etc. (This is all as an aside from the standard wood-pulp full-week paper timetable posters in postercases.) Set it up en-mass and the costs could be as under £20 ($30) a stop.
>>
File: DSC_0477.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0477.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Here's one at a train station in Melbourne
>>
File: bus-tracker.jpg (29 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
bus-tracker.jpg
29 KB, 500x315
The CTA has but LED arrival time boards on some of the bus shelters on important bus routes.
>>
>>921553
>but
*put
>>
>not ripping the realtime data from the tram company's website and making your own display for home use
>>
>>917194
>Memebourne
>>
>>917196
>London (England

Love how you have to specific fucking England because yanks think you're talking about some other irrelevant London.

>Going to Paris (Idaho) on holiday desu
>>
>>922027
I ride with s1 s2 and s3 every day.
And I fucking hate how unreliable they are.
>>
>>922027
tramtracker is an app that provides it directly to your mobile
>>
>>922565
There is a large city in Canada called London you knob.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.