[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a Specialized Allez Compact. Should I buy these for 190
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
I have a Specialized Allez Compact.
Should I buy these for 190 euros?
160 for the shoes.
30 for the pedals [SHIMANO PD-R540].

I've never owned or used road bike shoes and pedals before.
Are they worth their money?
Thanks.
>>
Invest more in pedals and less in shoes
>>
>>914133
why?
unfortunately, these are the only shoes that I have found that fit.
>>
great starting point.
go for it.

you'll eventually upgrade to better shoes and pedals.
>>
>>914136
you are a beginner, there is no need for expensive stuff for now. Just add 10-20 bucks for your pedals pricerange and substract 60 bucks for the shoes, and then you are good to go for ~2 seasons. They money you've saved could be used to buy flowers for your mom and inviting your girlfriend for a dinner

Expensive stuff gets you less features the more you pay, its simple as that. You have to figure out yourself what kind of features you actually "need" and what you don't. Different Pedals come with different cleatssystems as well as different shoes come with different Soles, as well as everything is built out of different materials

Am i fine with PVC cleats and rather heavy as fuck pedals because i don't ride high cadences, but low and with alot of strength? Then you are about to compensate well you can stick to rather cheap stuff. Do you want carbon because you need to lose 20 grams? Then consider yourself lucky if thats what you really want, because you are going hand in hand with a Weightlimit for your pedals, so you have to maintain and keep a specific BOdyweight. Going for Titanhardware? Titan breaks easily, you need it? Its ok, buy it!

I repeat myself: You are a beginner, get mediocre stuff instead of highend and you may don't need/want anything else
>>
>>914139
Thank you very much for your reply.

I have looked into quite a few brands of shoes, and this is the only brand and model that is my size 10 1/2 or 44.5 for europe.
Of course I don't want to spend 160 euros for shoes, but it's either the CompRoad or nothing at all.
The pedals were a suggestion by the salesman.
>>
>>914143
You are in Europe right? There are plenty of huge ONlineshops and i really, really highly doubt that these don't have your desired Shoesizes, I for myself do wear the same size as you do most of the time, depending on the Shoe. Lawwise you are good to go with German Shops, there you'll get your money back within 14 Days if you don't like it/send the stuff back

Anyway, i'd say get the Shimano 105 PD-5800C Pedals or Shimano PD-R550. Constructionwise they aren't really that much different from the Ultegras, the only difference is the used material such as Carbon and the Bearings (Steel instead of Ceramics) and they'll last long enough for more than just 2 Season
>>
>>914145
thanks for taking the time to help me out
much appreciated
>>
>>914139
I disagree man. Obviously there are diminishing returns past a certain price point but a good pair of shoes can make such a difference. Fit should be your primary concern and if those shoes fit then you should get them. They make an r550 which should be like ten bucks more and is comparable to the 105 pedals. The r540s though are bomb proof.
>>
>>914139
This, midrange is most of times the best price/value. Above that you are just paying a lot for a small weight reduction that you won't even feel and sometimes at the cost of less lifetime..
>>
can anyone give me an opinion on dual clipless/platform pedals? looking for them in a MTB
>>
File: PD-M520.png (49 KB, 246x185) Image search: [Google]
PD-M520.png
49 KB, 246x185
>>914289
Shimano SPD. I have the cheapest SPDs on my commuter/road bike and after a year never had problems with the bearings, pedal wear or anything. I commute 25 km 5 days a week plus Sunday's rides
>>
>>914301
>Shimano SPD
Love them, got them on my hardtail, my road bike, and my touring 80s steel frame. LOVE the pedals they rock.

Highly recommend them if you plan on walking on a ride and not marring up your cleats. Amazing pedals.
>>
>>914289
>>914301

Specifically, if you want a platform and clips on both sides, you probably want PD-M530 if you're on a tight budget (~$25-30), or PD-M785 or PD-M8020 ($70-$120 - seem to be on the cheaper end nowadays).
>>
>>914128
shimano road cleats are butt ugly. LOOK is way better in terms of aesthetics. Specialized shoes are also shite. Get something from giro.
>>
>>914347
Who the fuck cares what the cleats look like as long as they work well.
>>
>>914357
>Who the fuck cares

You might pull up to a intersection and get made fun of by another Fred. That day haunts my dreams and keeps me buying new carbon parts.
>>
bruh your money is better spent on the shoes than the pedals, you can get a cash as fuck carbon soled two bolt style shoe that will be stiffer paired with a cheap pedal like >>914301 also with the two bolt pattern you are more likely to be able to walk around in them also if you ever get another bike MTB Cross more road you can use the same shoes and cleats for all your bikes
>>
>>914738
>carbon sole
thats not really what people should get unless they compete in professional races
>>
Shimano shoes give the best bang for buck. Most 2-bolt and 3-bolt shoes built for the purpose will be stiff enough either way. The important thing is to get one that fits you the best, and you choose the bolt system you want (2bolt for walkable cleats, 3 bolt if you want to fred it up).

I got Shimano M083s and M540 pedals all for under $100. Excellent combination, plenty stiff, and walkable, comfortable.
>>
>>914792
>mfw a stranger called me fred last week and I only have 2 bolt

Is there a 1-bolt system? I never wanted to be a fred :(
>>
>>914825
>he doesnt even have 4 bolts
>>
File: RSHU_Se3ELI-sw-ro-d4-il.jpg (31 KB, 1024x570) Image search: [Google]
RSHU_Se3ELI-sw-ro-d4-il.jpg
31 KB, 1024x570
>>914128
OP here.
I can't believe my thread is still up.
I finally got the shoes and pedals.
I got the Specialized Elite Road shoes for 120 euros, and the R540 pedals.
>>
>>914825
people in real life say fred?
>>
>>916293
what does "fred" mean?
>>
>>916293
Maybe his name is Fred
>>
>>916290
>I can't believe my thread is still up.
It's only a week old.
>>
>>916614
>bumping back to the front page for this
>>
>>914128
dvds
>>
>>916293
Honestly it was a shock, I thought it was a 4chan-only meme

I tried to convince myself that he said "friend" but no, it was very distinct. Fred, is what he said.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.