[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CAMPY VS SHIMANO VS SRAM (lol)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: campy-vs-shimano.jpg (26 KB, 398x293) Image search: [Google]
campy-vs-shimano.jpg
26 KB, 398x293
Thinking about upgrading my bike to 11 speed. Would it be worth it to spend an extra $100 on Campy Chorus shifters or should I save the cash and just get 105? The "ultrashift" appeals to me a lot but generally I've been happy with my shimano sti levers in the past.

How do they stack up? Also curious about comfort and the difference in operation of the levers
>>
File: kek.jpg (30 KB, 479x428) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
30 KB, 479x428
also, this is hilarious for being the bicycle equivalent of the hicks on facebook who share stupid macro images saying how much better chevy is than ford
>>
>>906592
>mixing campy shifters with shimano
wut
>>
>Can't downshift underbraking
That's all you need to know about Campagnolo.
>>
>>906596
are the derailleurs & shifters incompatible? I wouldn't mind replacing those too if it's worth it, just don't want the entire group cause my old crank should work ok
>>906600
that doesn't sound great
>>
>>906600

dont set up road bike levers moto and everything is ok for campy & sram

shimano is the only really lets you rear brake while downshifting anyways... wouldnt want to modulate front brake while tilting it out though
>>
>>906600
>this dumb argument AGAIN

masterful troll or obsessive moron
>>
>>906604
It's not possible to mount brake levers to the pedals.
>>
>>906592

as someone who works at a high-volume bike shop in a major city, I have put together a checklist to figure out if a customer needs campagnolo, sram, or shimano drivetrain:

when I shift front, I want:
1. to shift accurately and quickly each time
2. to have to crash my bike because of the huge lever throw putting me off balance
3. to taste semen in my mouth

when I shift rear, I want:
1. to get clean, precise, evenly stepped shifts
2. to have to remember if i listen for one click or two
3. to have a giant cock rammed up my asshole

when i shift under load, I:
1. like my equipment to be easily serviceable and highly durable
2. like my equipment to be so ludicrously lightweight and overengineered so that if anything breaks, it costs less to replace than to service
3. want two dozen men to ejaculate all over my face while I am mercilessly penetrated by an 8 inch uncircumcised penis

if you answer #1, buy shimano.
if you answer #2, buy sram
if you answer #3, you're a faggot (buy campy)
>>
>>906600
But you can unless your fingers are welded together and you're a lobster?
>>
>>906634
>claims to work in a bike shop
>doesn't know about Microshift
>>
>>906640

i work in a bike shop that doesn't sell microshift, mainly due to the fact that our main customer bas consists of commuters and amateur competitors rather than faggots who buy into any stupid niche they see on bikerumors forums.
>>
>>906634
aw, are you mad because you had to deal with Campy USA's customer service department today?

>>906603
The derailleurs and shifters are incompatible. For 2014 and earlier a company called jtek makes a thingy called the Shiftmate that solves compatibility problems. Campy re-engineered their 2015 line from Chorus on up, and now they have different pull ratios than before, so as far as I know, Shiftmates won't work.

Campy is really good stuff, but getting service for it in the US is hard. Most mechanics don't encounter it often enough to be good at servicing it, and a lot of shops have been turned off by Campy USA being a shitty, shitty company to deal with. It's why I run Shimano on most of my bikes, even though I like Campy more.

Ultimately it's better to stick with one manufacturer for your entire drivetrain.
>>
>>906668

>"i run shimano on most of my bikes even though I prefer sucking huge cocks and generally being a gigantic faggot"
>>
>>906673
aw poor babby, is being mad on the internet making you feel better?
>>
>>906676

why on earth do you prefer a product that is engineered to be markedly less-durable while offering similar performance? can you offer any insight as to why you seem dead set on a product that has been so relentlessly outperformed in the pro peloton that there remain less than half a dozen professionals willing to use their product?
>>
Campagnolo: HURRR ONLY THE POOR RIDE SHITMANO

Shimano: I just brought this because IDAF, it works fine and everyone else uses it. Why do you have to be elitist?
>>
>>906683
>markedly less-durable
This has not been my experience, and what little has worn out is easily replaceable provided that the parts are available, which Campy USA unfortunately does not make easy. My bike with 10sp Record has had to have the shifters serviced once and a bushing in the rear derailleur replaced over however many tens of thousands of miles and a few crashes. The one with 11sp Record hasn't given me any trouble at all, but I haven't ridden it nearly as much yet. Meanwhile, I've had a couple of Shimano STI levers fail on me (admittedly, both DA 7700 right levers, which were a little prone to trouble), and unfortunately those can't be repaired.

>outperformed in the pro peloton that there remain less than half a dozen professionals willing to use their product?
The 3-4 teams that Campy sponsors in the UCI Pro Tour are doing just fine. They don't have a massive marketing budget like Shimano does, so sponsoring everyone is out of the question.

Were you talking about SRAM?
>>
>Campy
>mfw 29T max
kek
how you gonna spin 110RPM up 20% grades all day m8?
>was on a group ride, came round a corner
>guy in front straight up face planted
>his veloce lever snapped its shit up because it has no side to side movement
>mfw he says it would have been worse if it was shimano
>mfw it would have just downshifted and been fine if it was shimano
lel
>SCRAM
>chain falls off
>lever breaks

>Shimano
>the best
>>
>>906634
>lever throw
>a problem with shimano
m8
>>
Does SRAM or Campagnolo have an answer to Shimano Claris?

Probably 90% of cyclists that ride geared bicycles wouldn't need anything better than Claris.
>>
>>906731
Nope. Apex and Veloce are both positioned against Tiagra. Claris really is good stuff. After years of Sora being garbage it was surprising to see Shimano knock one out of the park with their low-end stuff.
>>
>>906743
It's smart of them to make a low end groupset that actually works fine because so many people seem to get discouraged from cycling because of the initial price commitment. Once someone gets properly bitten by the cycling bug they are more likely to invest more money.

I think prestige branding can only last so long look at brands like Bianchi and Peugot which used to be considered amazing yet now they're pretty inferior to Giant and Trek.

I think that SRAM and Campagnolo might be able to give competitive cyclists an edge, maybe but they'll lose the arms race on R&D due to lack of funds if they only focus on high end and prestige.
>>
>>906638
>Gripping the bars with just your thumb and pinkie under high performance conditions is acceptable
>>
I much prefer the feel of Campagnolo hoods over Shimano. I find Shimano models to be too bulky, whereas Campys just feel so good in the hand. And I'm pretty big handed.

I have no preference functionality-wise though, as long as it's not motherfucking double tap
>>
>>906600
Yeah but who the fuck even does that?

Anyway the only thing I need to know about campy is they don't make disc brakes and for decades they pushed this nonsense about brakes that "they're not for stopping they're for modulating your speed"

As someone who rides in traffic, sometimes merely "modulating your speed" is a death sentence. No thanks, campy.
>>
File: champ in the making.gif (154 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
champ in the making.gif
154 KB, 160x144
>>906778
Anyone competently riding a bike in a scenario demanding high performance.
>>
>>906780
Maybe if they had brakes that actually worked they could finish shifting first, and then brake. Instead of starting to brake half a mile in advance. Ever think of that, hmm?
>>
File: displeasure.gif (407 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
displeasure.gif
407 KB, 250x250
>>906781
2/10 b8
>>
>>906746
>Bianchi
>Inferor
Yep. I have a Via Nirone 7. Weighs a ton. Uncomfortable. Terrible welds. Only nice bit is the paint job.
>>
>>906746
I'm not sure why Bianchi and Peugeot were considered amazing. Maybe just general Euro cachet. They rarely made anything all that great, even at the high end. These days, Bianchi frames are made by Taiwan Hodaka, Fairly, and Giant.

I think that Campy does a pretty good job on delivering performance on par with their high-end branding. Their value proposition for drivetrain stuff, particularly in the US, is not nearly as good as Shimano. Their wheelsets are pretty good value, though.

Shimano can provide better value than SRAM and Campy due to economies of scale (Campy does about $150M/yr in business, while Shimano's cycling division alone is at least $2B/yr). That's what makes Claris feasible for them. I don't think that Campy would be able to produce old 8sp Xenon at a low enough price that they could wholesale the entire groupset for whatever Claris is sold to OEMs at.

>>906781
You have severe motor control issues and should seek occupational therapy to help you better live with your disability.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.