[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can /n/ give me some advice in bike locks ? Is there a particular
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: locks.jpg (65 KB, 450x314) Image search: [Google]
locks.jpg
65 KB, 450x314
Can /n/ give me some advice in bike locks ? Is there a particular model that is worth ?
>>
>>905607
700€ bike btw
>>
>>905607
U lock
>>
Your lock is only your third line of defense. Your first one is not being an idiot, and your second one is making double sure you're not being an idiot.
>>
>>905607
If you have to leave it in a dodgy area, then just buy a cheap crap bike which can get stolen.
>>
File: block.jpg (1013 KB, 1437x1078) Image search: [Google]
block.jpg
1013 KB, 1437x1078
>>
>>905607
If I want something bad enough I can and will find a way to steal it. I dont care what lock you use I can break it.
>>
Lock your bike next to other bikes, and lock yours better than those bikes. That way yours will not be targetted. Locking yours better means using a good u-lock, and optionally also using a second lock (the second lock should be a different type of lock so it requires a different type of tool to break; i.e. u-lock AND chain or cable or folding)

Folding locks are good too because they are uncommon and therefore thieves don't really have good methods to break them as far as I know. The Abus Bordo locks are good.

Otherwise for u-locks the Kryptonites are good

Use this locking method: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Optionally, also lock the front wheel (you can either have a cable lock to lock the front wheel, or you can remove the front wheel and set it next to the rear wheel)

If you need the best lock available, the Kryptonite Fahgeddaboudit is good as fuck, but heavy as fuck

Also, small u-locks are better because big ones give more room for leverage to break them

And locking high off the ground (i.e. top tube instead of downtube, if locking the frame instead of the wheel) is good because close to ground = easy leverage

And don't leave an expensive bike unattended. Don't have high end components or a fancy frame, let it get chipped/nicked/scratched... makes it unappealing.

If you are really concerned you can also remove the saddle/seatpost or pedals and take them with when leaving the bike, making it harder to getaway on. Or take a wheel with you.

>>905622
Are you fucking retarded? Fucking kill yourself. The whole fucking point of locking bikes securely is to make them difficult enough to steal so as to make it not worthwhile in the perception of the thief. Fuck off with your incompetence.
Btw, mods have your IP and are reporting you to the police because you admitted to being a thief.
>>
>>905620
Words of wisdom
>>
>>905620

Get a new sweater you freaking bum.
>>
I hear everywhere that the u lock is the best but i can't find one in particular ? Any brand or something ?
>>
>>905772
It's the shape of it. I've heard em called D-locks as well. Kryptonite is best brand.
>>
Kryptonite New York Mini x2

1 lock for rear + frame and other for front

alternatively, get 1 kryptonite new york full size and then lock the front wheel to the back and the frame

A good quality D-lock is enough of a deterrent usually because smackheads, junkies, and niggers are lazy. Let them steal the one that has a shitty cable lock on it instead.
>>
>>905634
>>905777
>>905789
more like kryptoshite

ABUS mini 140 is best lock.
Best paired with a 1m locking chain. Abus makes these two.
If you need more security than that, get two 410s.
Also, consider leaving a lock attached to the place you lock up regularly if you're concerned about weight.

Kryptonite only lock on onside of the shackle, ABUS require two cuts.
Kryptonite's metal isn't as good.
Abus mechanisms and keys are more reliable.
Abus locks are easier to use because they are symmetrical.

The small chain comes in handy for locking wheels, or saddle, or a friends bike. Also good for possible short or sporty rides where youd on't want the weight. Small and cheap chain is also handy for loaning to friends.
>>
get a strong disk detainer instead of the average american pin tumbler
>>
>>905607
I have a bike worth >2000$ and it's been locked with a cable lock aka gift ribbon for the past 3 years

The key is not being stupid about where and when you lock it. It also helps it doesn't look like it goes fast (spandex thieves) or a monster truck (teenage nigger thieves) or a fixie (skinny jeans thieves). People usually don't know the value of parts, only looks.
>>
>>905613
no U
>>
>>905791
>shilling on /n/
>>
File: image.jpg (87 KB, 450x651) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87 KB, 450x651
>>905607
Any lock will do
>>
>>905837
>>906013
These really.

For somewhere where theft attempts are likely, put a U-lock (brand, type don't really matter) through the frame and rear wheel, plus a separate cable lock through the frame and front wheel. For low-risk situations, the cable lock is sufficient.

Just remember that ANY lock can be defeated by a motivated thief with tools. The purpose of locks is not to prevent theft by dedicated pro-tier thieves, it's to stop casual passers-by from walking off with a bike they can either joyride, or more likely, quickly sell for a little cash (this is why brifters and other surprisingly valuable components are pretty much never, ever stolen off parked bikes). One or two locks, properly applied, regardless of type make stealing your bikes just enough work and time consuming enough that nobody will bother unless they're the very rare pro-tier thief.
>>
File: Unbreakable Lock.jpg (99 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Unbreakable Lock.jpg
99 KB, 900x600
>>905622
This is correct of course. It's not about total invulnerability, but the effort and tools necessary compared to some other target. Try to balance cost, risk, weight, and especially convenience.
>>>http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
Heed the Words of the prophet! This has become conventional wisdom on /n/.
>>906007
This is a shilling sort of thread, so my turn:
I imported the AXA Defender frame lock and DPI 110 chain from Urop. I put magnets on the chain to wear it as a belt, that works OK. Also have Pinhead keyed nuts on seatpost, headset, and front dropouts. For convenience and versatility this combo is unbeatable, like two locks in one. For security and weight (750g + 1850g) it's just decent. Plain looking $2500 bike left out during the day, still have it after three years.
>Why is it impossible to buy a frame lock (or a frame with mounts for it) anywhere in America?
>>
File: 1370007597025.jpg (63 KB, 800x569) Image search: [Google]
1370007597025.jpg
63 KB, 800x569
>>906013
>>
>>906007
>buying inferior products

>>906036
>relying on dutch technology

my other advice is hot gluing ball bearings into your allen bolts.
15 seconds exposure to a lighter and a magnet will undo them, but it's a cheap and effective option to defeat all but the most intent thief.
it's really about as effective as any other security bolt available.
>>
>>906052
very inconspicuous. Really like it!
>>
>>906052

that's great.

tell me more about it.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.