[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk wheelsets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 17
File: 2011-fulcrum-racing7-zoom.jpg (149 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
2011-fulcrum-racing7-zoom.jpg
149 KB, 1000x1000
Tell us your favourite brand and models.

Any budget is fine. Tell us what you think is best in it's price class.

Pic related.
>>
cr-18s laced to shimano cup and cones are god tier
>>
>>902597
Junk pleb tier wouldnt last 1000km
>>
>>902585
FFWD F4R Tubular DT240

Best all around race wheelset.
>>
Shimano WH-RS81 reporting in
>>
>>902599
"I haven't ridden cup and cone bearings" - the post
>>
>>902608
There are 3 different models in that range anon, which one?
>>
>>902629
They are all the same, they are just different in the depth of the Rims. I use the standard C24
>>
>>902599
that's what they'd like to have you think
>>
I only ride corima
>>
I only ride zipp
>>
I only ride mavic
>>
I ride exclusively Campagnolo
>>
I have Fernwegs on my Walmart BSO
>>
>>902687
>buying anything other than Meilensteins

ya dun messed up
>>
File: 1442792356037.jpg (96 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1442792356037.jpg
96 KB, 900x900
>>902599
what would fail before 1000km according to you?
The hubs or the rims?

>mfw Ive never EVER seen a bike witout pitted cones due to manufacturers and LBS's not adjusting the cones properly
>>
>>902717
the wheel would fail moron, what else would i be talking about, the struts?
>>
Mavic A319 on XT hubs (dynamo XT hub front) for my commuter/tourer. Reliable, inexpensive.
>>
>>902719
the spoke fluid, duh
>>
>>902585

price class is a decent way to compare, but rather useless w/o discussing intended use
>>
I'm riding H + Son TB14s to 105 hubs. They're basically 23 mm wide Open Pros. Not really sure they're the best anything but I built the set for 180 and it hasn't done me wrong.
>>
>>902719
which FUCKING part?

Are you purposefully being thick?
>>
>>902750
I have those on one of my bikes, too, except with SunXCD high-flange hubs. Maybe I should've sprung the extra cash to use WI hubs, but whatever. It's a good setup.

My other bikes have:

- Araya box section rims laced to Sansin RE60 hubs. Sansin hubs are great for cheapo hubs, and I kinda want a wheelset built around Sansin Pro-Am/Superbe Pro hubs.

-Campy Eurus. I love these. If they ever wear out I will replace them with Shamal Mille wheels.

-Campy Mirage hubs + DT RR585. DT rims are nothing special, and not as reliable as I'd like.
>>
>>902736
ugh I hate that
first time i rebuilt my wheelset I got spoke fluid everywhere and the rim took 2 hours to bend back into place pumping them up
>>
>>902783
I have Araya red labels with sansin hubs. Fantastic wheels, still rolling butter at 30 years old
>>
city bike
>Rims: Araya SS-45 27x1 box-type, anodized, 36 hole, drilled for Schrader.
>Hubs: Sansin CE-60 "Sealed System" (wtf they are cup and cone)

these came stock on my '87 Miyata which wasn't ridden hardly at all until I bought her.

fast bike
>Rims: some flavor of Mavic from the 90's or maybe early 2000s, 32 spoke. the stickers rubbed off the parts that ID'd them.
>Hubs: Shimano 105 rear, RX100 front

presumably these are not stock but were put on before I bought it. I know what are on my bikes but not much about wheels generally. I will say that these Mavic rims have taken a fucking beating over the years. seriously I've abused the fuck out of them for like maybe 8 years and they just keep on rolling.
>>
10 Speed Commuter:
Campagnolo Record to Sun CR18
Wheels built up fine but the hubs were already too far gone. Will replace with machine built cheapos because its just a bike that gets locked up.

Cyclocross:
Originally built up with Shimano Tiagra to H+Son TB14.
Wanted tubeless & bling so I went White Industries MI5 to Velocity A23.
I want to relace the A23 with Archetypes because I can seem to smooth the pin seam on the A23.

Road:
Fulcrum Racing 5s
Really good experience. Never needed any attention, great value.
Shimano RS11
Just got them but they seems decent for training.
>>
>>902720

Previous bike was Mavic A317's on 32-spoke XT hubs. Cheap, bomb-proof, lasted over 7 years and several thousand km of harsh conditions - potholes, curb hopping, gravel, five Minnesota winters, and a tour of Japan.

Debated swapping them over to the new bike, but figured the new bike deserved new wheels. Current commuter/tourer is Velocity Dyad rims on 36-spoke XT hubs - EXTREMELY happy with them.
>>
File: why.jpg (48 KB, 770x500) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
48 KB, 770x500
>>902792
Yeah I really should've cut out the qualifier "for cheapo hubs" because Sunshine/Sansin are great, period. They also made hubs for Suntour and Specialized. Shame that they're gone now.

I wonder if Suzue hubs are still good?

And then of course since Japan is fucking Japan there's a company called Gokiso that makes $6.5K hubsets that are so smooth that they reveal that we may need to rethink chains once their technology trickles down.
>>
new wheels gonna be
Schwalbe spicer's maybe (can get em for cheap)
Ryde Zac19
Straight gauge 14g stainless sapim spokes
brass nipples
Sturmey archer hbt330 fixed gear hub rear
Maybe a drum brake hub in the front
Maybe some catilevers I have lying around
>>
Best affordable off the shelf wheelset? Looking at RS31s and Khamsin or Vento. The Khamsins can take both Shimsham and Campy freehub bodies, and the RS31 has no option for Campy. RS31 is cup and cone, I believe, the Campagnolos are sealed bearings. The Campagnolos have dem spokes.
>>
>>902868
RS-31s are actually aero because of the low spoke count and bladed spokes, unlike Khamsin or Vento.
>>
I ride shimano RS81's as training wheels. Pretty solid, hubs aren't fantastic, maybe a little flexy for me, but pretty good all round.

I've raced on a variety of carbons, and by far the best have been the Enve SES 3.4's. I've ridden Reynolds, Lightweight, Zipp, FFWD, 3T and Enve carbons, 3.4's are the best.
>>
>>902874
do you want to know how I can tell you're bullshitting?

>Enve better than Lightweight
>>
>>902883

Lightweights are fucking awful in the wind, kills any benefits you get
>>
>>902909
they're fine in crosswinds senpai.

Shit, ive used 80mm v shape wheels in some big winds with no real issue

but dat stiffness is just off the wall, hands down the best wheels are meilensteins
>>
>>902585
backup 700c road wheelset recs for a commuter?

they'd be subbing in for my easton set on a cross bike this winter. current ones are set up with 35 mm nobbie tires for icy/snowy conditions, but the extra rolling resistance is killing me and uselessly wearing tread when things dry off. gotta go fast to work. i want a backup set that i can run 25 mm slicks on and swap out for a little extra speed and ease on my jaunt back and forth.

Priorities:
>price > durability/functionality > weight

< or = $100 usd for a new modern set would be a dream
>>
File: IMG_0266.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0266.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Fulcrum racing zeros are light and stiff. Not ridden much else except Aeolus 5's so they seem pretty good. Aeolus 5's though are indeed god tier but at $1,274.99 for a rear wheel you'd expect that. Better start saving, huh?
>>
Entry level to mid tier Bontrager wheels are shit.
Just stay the fuck away from them.
>>
File: bontragerRXLRims.jpg (143 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
bontragerRXLRims.jpg
143 KB, 1280x960
>>902952
The wheels that came with my bike went straight onto my training bike. The RXL's look shit too.
>>
whats a cheap but reasonably good quality wheelset for 700c that has aluminum rims and DT Swiss Alpine III spokes?
>>
>>903012

The one you build with 105 hubs and Velocity A23 rims
>>
>>903012
DT Swiss R24
>>
>>903025

Right answer right here.
>>
I wanna jump on the H+Son bandwagon, so either black Archetypes or TB14s laced to Deore XT disc hubs.

Yay middle ground road disc.
>>
>>903127
Dicks look stupid with TB14s, and I really don't see why you would pay extra for a welded rim on a bike without rim brakes. The only things wrong with Kinlin rims are they are pinned and the brake tracks wear quickly.
>>
File: 8iDpfir.jpg (869 KB, 2554x1702) Image search: [Google]
8iDpfir.jpg
869 KB, 2554x1702
>>903128
Eh, the TB14s wouldn't be my first choice for a disc specific build, but if doing a clean fixed gear with a front disc, I'd do that build for the front and lace another TB14 to some cheap formula fixed/fixed hub.

Pure allroad disc build I'd absolutely do Archetypes with some skinwall tire. Maybe a BG Rock'n'Roll.

pic semi related
>>
>>902918

they're shit, absolutely awful handling and aerodynamic performance. SES 3.4 plenty stiff.
>>
>>903142
>lightweight
>awful handling

I won't bother arguing about aero because that's a whole nother kettle of fish, but lightweights have legit got magical handling, and I will fucking race you if you say otherwise senpai
>>
File: IMG_0338.jpg (766 KB, 1856x1237) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0338.jpg
766 KB, 1856x1237
The SSCX. Phat slicks make for a plush ride.

Need to get a 19 or 20t freewheel. Current 39/17 too tall for any meaningful off roading.
>>
Fulcrum racing 7s are gr8/8
>>
>>903354
Thought about getting some Fulcrums Racing 3, but they are too cheap for its price
>>
File: vuch.jpg (181 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
vuch.jpg
181 KB, 736x736
Velocity Uriel deep v double-walled 451mm laced to Capreo hubs with DT Swiss spokes.

love this wheelset so much.
>>
>>903383
>velocity deep v rims
le shiggle le diggle
>>
>>903348
Nicce!

I vote for Tune TSR 30
>>
>>902585
I got Kinlin XC279 rims, Sapim Laser spokes, and Formula hubs. Going to try building the wheels myself. Hasn't been much fun so far. Also, I think that the Laser spokes are overkill; too high of quality for the other parts I have.

Do any of you think that would make a good wheelset?
>>
>>903403
>having an opinion this wrong
>>
>>903440
Lasers are awful for building your first wheelset. Either get Sapim Race or Sapim CX-Ray.
>>
what should rim width be in relation to tire width on road bikes?
>>
bam
>>
>>903025
>>903079

I am planning on building up a similar wheelset for a cx/light touring bike and am having trouble deciding on rims. Thanks for the advice senpai.
>>
File: wheels_lightbox_flo_30_angle.png (275 KB, 869x600) Image search: [Google]
wheels_lightbox_flo_30_angle.png
275 KB, 869x600
Flo 30
l
o

>>
>>902585
Right now my set is Surly Ultra News laced with DT Comps to Mavic A319s. Sturdy!

Been really liking the look of the Velocity Quill though, thinking my next wheelset will be a set laced to Schmidt/White Ind T11 hubs.
>>
>>903585
I have a set of these I'm building up to a powertap G3. Just waiting on spokes to come in the mail.

Almost did some chinese carbon u shapes, but figured alu would be better than chancing carbon.
>>
>>903589
>buys highend components, but replaces them every year
>like they're trash from the swap meet
>>
File: YW-RSED-NCL-PAIR.jpg (233 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
YW-RSED-NCL-PAIR.jpg
233 KB, 1500x1500
Would these be a noticeable upgrade over some generic alex?

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_579662_-1___
>>
File: ckhub.jpg (80 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
ckhub.jpg
80 KB, 640x480
chris kings hubs are quiet. I rode with a guy once with a particularly loud hub. never figured out what it was. It was red-anodized.
>>
Just bought some bargain mavic crossrides for the cross bike. Usually ride either handbuilt 105 hubs on a319 rims or deore xt hubs on xm317 rims. Am I going to notice a difference? I wanted something black and sexy :/
>>
>>905297
>2100+g
No.

I know Shimano is being slow with the road disc stuff, but for ~2000g wheelsets, there's really no reason to buy anything but OEM take-offs or Shimano. Name brand ~2000g aren't worth it, and only Shimano and Campagnolo make good cup and cone hubs.
>>
>>902883
Mate lightweight havent even looked at aerodynamic profiles in about 5 years, they are basically riding off their weights and brand name.
They are beautiful and very good wheels, but nowhere near the best all rounders out there
>>
>>902949
>are you me?
Literally getting myself some fulcrum zeros for xmas for dat training wheel set. Also new or old aeolus, because that is important
>>
>>903566
>not 5s
>>
File: w.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
>>902585
what i'm currently using.
>>
File: IMAG1022.jpg (268 KB, 800x452) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1022.jpg
268 KB, 800x452
>>903585
Built up a set of flo 30 rims this weekend. Stripped the stickers off the flos, what a pain in the ass. And the finish quality is pretty weak for an alu rim of this price point. Its especially obvious around the weld - I guess most of the price is in R&D and producing the u shape instead of finish or perfect roundness out of the box...
>>
>>902862
Have you a source for that chart? My curiosity is piqued.
I've been looking up the company history for Sanshin Matsumoto but haven't found out about their fate yet. Suzue seems to be a niche brand... I wonder if they're yet another Jp cycling company that got sold off to Taiwan.

For the poorfag price range, I can personally vouch for a set of Wolber GTX2 rims laced to Shimano RX100 hubs
>I'm so old-school that my rims' maker doesn't even exist
>>
>>902585

My favorite set of wheelset was all black 105 hubs on Mavic CXP-22s for city riding.

Affordable and light enough and who gives a fuck --- kitbros can have the carbon rims / tubeless IDGAF pham
>>
File: mavic-deemax.jpg (65 KB, 620x353) Image search: [Google]
mavic-deemax.jpg
65 KB, 620x353
Loved them
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.