[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /n/. I'm thinking about getting clip-in pedals, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: clipless pedals.jpg (153 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
clipless pedals.jpg
153 KB, 1600x1200
Hey /n/. I'm thinking about getting clip-in pedals, but I'm not sure what is best. What do you think about these Wellgos?
>>
>>902554
Wellgo pedals are just cheap Shimano clones, generally the bearings don't last nearly as long and they weigh a bit more, but they do work well - as you'd expect because they really are part-for-part clones of Shimano clipless pedals with a few things nudged by a mm here or there to get around the few patents that haven't expired yet.
>>
SPEEDPLAY
P
E
E
D.
P
L
A
Y
>>
IF YOU HAVE A CROSS BIKE OR RIDE ON TRAILS A LOT OR HAVE A MTB GET SOME SHIMANO SPD PEDALS. THEY ARE BOMBPROOF.

IF YOU HAVE A ROAD BIKE JUST GET WHAT EVER IS THE LIGHTEST AND MOST EXPENSIVE.
>>
what's the point of clip pedals that hook onto your shoes?
>>
>>902680
They let you spin really fast without your feet bouncing off
The pull-up thing is negligible and to all practical extent bullshit
>>
What's the point of non-Shimano pedals?
It's like your special snowflake weirdos who think tyres other than continental are necessary.
>>
>>902686
Shimano cleats are ugly as fuck senpai tbqh imo
>>
Shimano M520
/thread

>>902680
Clip-in pedals prevent your feet from being bounced off of the pedals, enhancing control. They also release more easily than any other comparably secure form of foot retention, so they are safer.
Clip-in pedals also keep your foot in the same position (with some play for knee health) throughout the ride for consistent biomechanics.
Shoes intended for use with clip-in pedals have stiff soles which prevent hot-spots and are therefore more comfortable for cycling long durations.

>>902686
Schwalbe put Conti to shame m8e. You can't beat a Muddy Mary up front and Hans Dampf in the rear.
>>
>>902554

are these what soulcycle uses. people come into the shop asking for shoes that work for either look delta cleats or shimano spd and I'm wtf are these pedals looking like
>>
>>902686
Because Time ATACs are way better in every way as far as mountain cleats are concerned? Well, except price.

I don't have enough experience with road pedals/cleats to comment on that side of things, though.
>>
>>902749
I dunno man, I'm looking at them online and they look like a transformers toy from 1992

Also they look like they'd shatter into a bazillion pieces if your bike were to even fall over
>>
>>902747
soulcycle confuses the fuck out of me, a business acquaintance found out I was into bikes and she was like "oh I used to be into bikes. do you soulcycle"?

I thought she was pretty attractive when first I met her in person, but suddenly the revulsion overwhelmed me as soon as she revealed her true self
>>
>>902751

>having an opinion on something you've never ridden.

There's a reason 10 year old used to death Time pedals still sell for 50-100 dollars on ebay. They take a beating and are easy to rebuild. The current gen has a bad apple in the line up(XC 6), but they've got a well earned reputation for being reliable(and only releasing when you want them to...).

If you do want something that falls apart and costs a lot of money go buy some crank brothers. They're much prettier.
>>
File: Shimano Ultegra PD-6800 large.jpg (151 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Shimano Ultegra PD-6800 large.jpg
151 KB, 720x540
>>902554
Just get some Shimanos OP. The Shimano 105 PD-5800, UItegra PD-6800 or Dura Ace PD-9000 are all awesome depending on your budget. Sturdy wide platform is comfy, smooth bearings variable float depending on cleat, adjustable tension, easy clip-in / clip-out.
>>
>>902686
Michelin make the best tires tho
>>
Get Shimano MTB SPD Pedals.
They are more than suitable for 99% of the population and you can actually walk around in the shoes because the cleat is recessed. If you're Chris Froome and you're on a stage where every second counts, or you want to pretend to be, get standard light road pedal and shoes.
>>
And what about the Shimano 540? They're cheap, around $40 cleats included. Are they really bad? The 550s are around $55, but if you want the 105s, you have to pay north of $80.

Would a beginner notice any difference between the absolute cheapest and the 105?
>>
>>902554
reminder that the shoes you buy are the more important factor than the pedals

if u have any inclination that you may want to get off ur bike mid ride or use the bike for commuting or cyclocross or off road riding get the MTB style cleat (two bolt)
>>
>>902936
I have 540s, they're my first and only pedals but I love them. I use them for urban commuting (15m each way)

Not sure why you're bringing 105 into this, that's a whole other style pedal. Decide if you want road or MTB pedals first.
>>
>>902948
Because I understand the lineup goes 504, 505, 105, no? And a few posts up, you can see someone recommending 105 and up.

I'm not OP btw, but I definitely want road pedals.
>>
>>902955
I just learned there's an R540 and an M540
The moar I know...
>>
>>902955
road pedals:
Shimano R540 if your budget is tight, otherwise get the the 105 pedals.

I believe they both come with a set of cleats.
>>
>>902554
>one side is SPD-SL
>other side is SPD

what the actual fuck
>>
>>902981
>mfw I realise
Good question
>>
>>902981
>>902987
I guess so you could try both? Or if you've got MTB and road shoes you can ride with whichever you happen to have on?

I dunno, it doesn't seem completely stupid...
>>
>>902981
check out that spindle, too.
Forget about the clipless advantage of cornering clearance (not that I ever push that limit regularly except in crits)
>>
>>902554
i use spd on my fixie. i skid way better than with cages now. i recommend the spds.
>>
>>902989
>>902987
Here's a hint - This pedal is intended to be shared by many users who don't necessarily know each other or prefer the same kind of shoes.
Google the model, Wellgo E148, to find out the true answer. I found the answer a bit surprising.
>>
File: tite as fuark.gif (153 KB, 914x1368) Image search: [Google]
tite as fuark.gif
153 KB, 914x1368
>>903171
Thanks anon, it all makes sense now.
>>
>>902955
I'd go for the R550s, they have a profile similar to the 105s and that's pretty cool. The R540s are bombproof so I'd imagine the 550s would too. Your shoes are more important than your pedals. Past the 105s you're really paying to shave a couple grams, but good shoes can make a huge difference. A little chafing or slightly loose fitting shoe will hurt like fuck towards the end of a ride. However, expect your feet to hurt a bit while you adjust. I guarantee you've never worn a shoe as stiff.
>>
550s are beautiful, i've come up on them from 540s and they feel a lot better and my feet don't feel as cramped as they're a lot wider.

They present themselves better when it comes to clipping in and they're pretty gorgeous all round for the money, like the previous anon said you're pretty much paying top jewbucks for a few less grams for anything more than 105 pedals.

To sweeten the deal, the 550s come with a set of cleats: mine were yellow but i think you can request the tighter float ones, don't quote me on that though.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.