[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of when you see this map?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: dartrailmapaug2014large.gif (100 KB, 750x789) Image search: [Google]
dartrailmapaug2014large.gif
100 KB, 750x789
What do you think of when you see this map?
>>
>>901981
Flying spaghetti monster?
>>
They're supposed to be building something called the Cotton Belt line from Ft. Worth to the Airport.

I'm interested in the progress of that.
>>
>>901981
I like them alot. It should be a model for light rail systems across the country. Even though it's kind of like the BART of light rail, they built it very well.
>>
>>901981
Looks like a great system for a city of 300 000 people- OH SHIT the city has almost 1 200 000 inhabitants and more than five million in the urban area, what the fuck went wrong?
>>
>>902152
>biggest LRT network in the country
>hurr its so small
Are you being retarded on purpose or are you just baiting?
>>
That Philly still has the best public train network in the Americas
>>
>>902161
To be fair, there is no scale
>>
>>902173

I've come to realize this is true, but now I just feel I have more unanswered questions.
>>
>>902173
Aside from the fact that most of its tracks are completely unusable from over a century of deffered maintenance.
>>
>>902152
Arlington,TX has no public transit. City of 300.000. Just commuter rail and express bus to Ft. Worth.
>>
>>902161
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize this is supposed to be like commuter rail service. I thought light rail was essentially a glorified streetcar.
>>
File: mindboggling.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
mindboggling.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>902264
>City of 300.000.
>no public transit.
Is this real life
>>
>>902352
'Murica
>>
>>902275
The Metroplex does have a line between Dallas and Fort Worth with a stop at the airport.
>>
>>902352
There were referendums to bring a bus service to Arlington and all voted down. Also routing is a problem. The place grew to fast to have a proper downtown,just the two malls and Six Flags.
>>
>>902443
No it doesn't.

TRE doesn't go to DFW.
>>
>>902462
There is a free shuttle from CentrePort / DFW Airport Station to DFW.
>>
File: image.jpg (201 KB, 659x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
201 KB, 659x960
>a lightrail with a couple of routes in a vast sprawling city of 6 million
>no metro
>no commuter
>no regional or interurban
>>
>>902161
>biggest lrt network in the country
So what? The right tool for the right job. And this is woefully inadequate for the job at hand
>>
In Europe you would find this in a town of a few hundred thousand people

Not a city of 6 million

A city of 6 million need substantially more infrastructure
>>
You know what my favorite thing about /n/ is?

That you get a bunch of fairies that ride their bicycles around everywhere, or they like taking the subway or some shit, and they feel that by virtue of this alone that they are transportation experts. That they are masters of railroading, urban planning and design, and that they really do know better than professionals.

It's sort of cute, really.
>>
>>902587
First day on the internet?
>>
>>902587
>transportation experts
>saying that a city of 6 million needs an appropriately sized public transit infrastructure to offer decent public transit
I guess if I tell you that you oughtn't eat at mcdonalds every day and drink a few glasses of water to be healthy that would make me a nutrition expert in your view?
>>
>>902593
>I know the needs of an entire metropolitan area based on one transit map and its population size.
Please rinse your mouth out with buckshot.
>>
>>902602
Anon never said he knows the needs. But it is reasonable to assume that the needs aren't met in this case, even if the metropolitan area of six million for some strange reason requires a much less extensive network than a European city of comparable size.
>>
>>902637
Have you considered that this area has a much more extensive highway network than his comparable European city?

>B-b-but my evil cages of death
>>
File: watch?v=NESHR36TkZE_00:00:08.308.jpg (354 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
watch?v=NESHR36TkZE_00:00:08.308.jpg
354 KB, 1920x1080
I'm jelly of america's laws and regulations that allow these sorts of capacities running in streets
>>
>>902275
welcome to America, because we run our light rails in the city, we invented interurbans, (also because metro rails are usually subways stateside, and modern light rails kick the ass of 90% of subways)
>>
>>902788
Those streets are transit malls. Cars aren't allowed on them.
>>
I used it to go to the State Fair.
>>
>>902587
What I love is people who never ever take public transit and live in a region with no public transit believe they are experts and can quantifiably insist that it is unnecessary
>>
>>902602
So you believe 6 million can be adequately served by exclusively driving?
>>
>>902642
Autobahn
>>
>>902788
>hurr we dont need no train we'll just stretch the lrt for ever
its stupid not good
>>
File: drill.jpg (34 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
drill.jpg
34 KB, 500x363
>>902642
>if we just spend MORE and waste MORE resources and pollute MORE
>then we wont need public transit
great plan
>>
Has trainguy been samefagging this whole thread? DART carries over 100M passengers a year and there is no evidence or problems with overcrowding. LRT has worked fine so far.
>>
>>902825
the problem is it barely covers any of Dallas
it is tiny and dallas is not and its lrt would not be able to handle real demand vs proper trains
>if someone is critical of lrt they must be trainguy
you poor paranoid fool I've only made a handful of posts in this thread
>>
>>902827
How big is fucking Dallas that an over 90 mile LRT is horribly inadequate? Of course it won't have the coverage of something London's tube or NYC's subway but for a very surburban city it works fine.
>We need to run heavy rail subways under suburbs and tract housing!!!!
You're the one who sounds retarded.
>>
>>901981
That they put way too much detail into the shape of the newer lines (Green, Orange, far northeast Blue) compared to the older lines. Hell, the Blue line between Mockingbird and LBJ/Skillman is supposed to be a large S-turn.
>>
>>902827
>the biggest Stadbahn network in the USA is too small
>low density Sunbelt cities should be served by resource wasting subway systems that can't scale to demand
FUCK OFF TRAINGUY
U
C
K
O
F
F
>>
>>902827
the daily horror of pasting on /n/ that any post you respond to could in fact be the artful trolling of trainguy
>>
>>902847
>>902849
>hurrr i wont acknolege DART functions like a tram-train system
FUCK OFF TRAINGUY
U
C
K
O
F
F
>>
>>902829
>How big is fucking Dallas that an over 90 mile LRT is horribly inadequate?
How incredibly dense would Dallas have to be for that LRT to be adequate for 6 million people?
Its not
Is low density and spread out
Most people are nowhere near it
>Of course it won't have the coverage of something London's tube or NYC's subway but for a very surburban city it works fine.
Its not because you look at medium to low density suburban cities and what do they have? Suburban Commuter trains and Regional and Inter-Urban trains
So is this a strawman, or are you just making the classic mistake of thinking that transit means only subways dense megalopolis
>You're the one who sounds retarded.
Your argument is based on being ignorant of the facts, and thinking this makes you aware
>>902842
>hurr subway durr
Never said never implied, but who is to say it wouldn't be more effective in the city centre?
Commuters and regionals and inter-urbans have been stated
But you just leap on subway and ridiculously suggest we claim they should go through suburbs
Are you stupid?
Are you trolling?
Are you strawmaning?
Are you honest and simply ignorant of the matter which you then ignorantly think this puts you in a position of being knowledgeable:
>The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate.

Also samefag as the previous post since both posts make the mistake of thinking subways through suburbs are the only alternative

And you want scale to demand, how is ridiculously long lrt on the road scale?
>>
>>902851
tram-trains operate in big towns and small cities Karlsruhe has a population of only a few hundred thousand
It has a couple trams in its city centre, these connect to the mainline railway to go to other towns in between the regional and inter-urban trains

Dallas is substantially larger than this and they do not use the dart in this way
>>
>>902852
What the fuck do you think interurban trains are fucking retard? In case your reading comprehension is very bad (which I believe it is judging by your previous posts) light rail was developed as a modern alternatives to inter-urban trains and in Dallas's case looks to be the situation. DART has the highest capacity of any other light rail system bar L.A.'s long beach and expo line.
>>
>>901981
test
>>
>>905087
Worked :^)
>>
>>902188
SEPTA regional rail hasn't killed people like Metro-North, and hasn't missed the original PTC deadline. I'd say it's doing relatively well for itself.
>>
>>905116
Metro-North is a terrible comparison point though.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.