[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets have a discussion about the future of transportation, the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: Depiction_of_a_futuristic_city.jpg (176 KB, 1280x579) Image search: [Google]
Depiction_of_a_futuristic_city.jpg
176 KB, 1280x579
Lets have a discussion about the future of transportation, the future of government transportation policies and what you believe the most utopian transportation situation a city can have.

:)
>>
File: THE FUTURE IS NOW.jpg (38 KB, 670x440) Image search: [Google]
THE FUTURE IS NOW.jpg
38 KB, 670x440
www.martinjetpack.com

habbening, tbqh.
>>
File: 1448452801315.png (288 KB, 590x462) Image search: [Google]
1448452801315.png
288 KB, 590x462
>>901170
>>
>>901154
How far in the future are we talking?
>>
File: coral-reef.jpg (704 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
coral-reef.jpg
704 KB, 2048x1536
All privately owned cages confiscated and melted down to be converted into BSOs for ex cagers' relatives and their known associates
Actual ex cagers rounded up and crowded into redbird cars which are to be placed carefully at the bottom of the sea where they can't hurt anyone ever again
Anyone riding e-bikes is to be caned publicly using their e-bike as the cane. The e-bike will then be recycled
All rail transport within the city limits is to be underground
All transport between cities is to be done by rail or boat, except for trips over 2,000 miles, which are allowed to be done by fixed wing aircraft. No passenger travel is allowed unless all seats are filled, and all air travel is to be conducted by military pilots on military aircraft (the same military used to round up the cagers during the initial cleansing).
>>
>>901221
>trying to force a copy pasta maymay
ebin
>>
>>901241
looks like /b/ is leaking
>>
Who knows?
But we can safely assume most modes of transport we know today could be still in use for the rest of our lifetime. But they will certainly evolve. We will have Cars, but at some point most will be electric. And they might not need a driver. There will be motorbikes but probably also electric. There will also be trains. Way faster then today, without driver and at least for longer distances not on rails but Maglev. Maybe even in vacuum tubes. There will be improved versions of ships an boats for naval transport. There will be air transport but they might develop new ways of propulsion. Once our civilisation expands into space there will be more need for space transport. Chemical rockets like today will not be not enough. all kinds of fancy science fiction spaceships might be used for this once technology is ready.
>>
Unless the range, reliability, cost, and charge speed of electric vehicles becomes significantly better I at least hope that smaller vehicles with smaller, hyper-efficient powertrains (diesel, hybrid, turbi GDI) become the norm.
>>
File: tram.jpg (60 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
tram.jpg
60 KB, 650x366
I think it's noteworthy how we've come full circle in transportation politics: It started with large, massive transports, mainly trains, then cars showed up and were seen by many to be the future of transportation, while eventually we've gone back to realizing that trains and trams (and buses) are the best way to move large numbers of people quickly and efficiently.

I think the future of transportation, urban transportation at least, lies with these massive systems. Especially trams have probably been the most misunderstood transport among them, early on it was seen as less practical than buses and less massive than trains/subways, while over time they've made a comeback by offering way more capacity than buses, but way less complicated implementation than trains (in an urban area where you need tunnels or viaducts).

I'm not going to be that guy who says that trams are the solution to all our transportation needs, but I think that the tram instead of being the ugly duckling should be one of the main players in urban transport: Trams are useful for corridors with a demand that's too much for a bus, but also as a secondary high/medium capacity urban rail system, as in having a full-size subway, and a smaller-sized "subway" that runs on the surface and offers additional capacity and additional routes to the ones offered by the subway. Just think of cities like New York or Paris, they have fuckhueg subway systems which nevertheless are at capacity in the downtown areas, while the road space on the surface is being used inefficiently for cars and buses, where instead you could have a bunch of tram lines with way better service and capacity than the buses.
Same goes for medium sized cities which could do with a subway much more concentrated on the main routes, while trams cover the rest, think of cities like Vienna, Munich or Milan, which have powerful tram networks coexisting with basic subway systems.
>>
>>901468
Is that a diesel tram?
>>
>>901471
3rd rail
>>
>>901410
What this guy said. Also one should not disregard tram/train and Stadtbahn systems which combine the advantages of trams with light rail systems. They aren't utilizable in all areas though.

Carsharing is also really up and coming in this area. Especially in urban areas, it is much more useful and cheap than owning a car yourself. Many transport authorities even offer discounts for car rentals with month cards.
>>901476
Yes, unless you step on it :^)
>>
>>901476
I guess. Basically it's a modern incarnation of the old stud-contact system, tried and abandoned in some early 1900s tramways. Now we have computer instead of just fuckin' magnets to control them.
>>
>tfw trains will die out because of electric robot cars
>>
>>901672
Wont you think the trains would be the first to be automated, because the rails.

The big money's in the personal automobiles I guess.

I wouldn't say it's that bleak a future, after all when majority of the human costs are eliminated from the transport chain, only the energy efficiency issues remain and trains rock at that.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.