[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
H O T D A M N http://lockheedmartin.com/us/produc ts/HybridAirship.html
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1448012261884.jpg (467 KB, 1087x3036) Image search: [Google]
1448012261884.jpg
467 KB, 1087x3036
H O T D A M N
http://lockheedmartin.com/us/products/HybridAirship.html
>>
Normally I'd have a giggle, but this is LM Skunkworks shit, and the P-791 works, so yeah...that three lobe design is still weird as hell. How does it deal with strong winds?
>>
>>899481
I think the 3 bag design must be to shorten it so it fits in places better, shorter should mean better handing in crosswinds, maybe, but it seems lime it would increase aerodynamic drag?

Or maybe lateral stability for landing?

I could see flat design making sense if it was a hybrid airship, and it formed an airfoil shape
>>
Great news, I think airships should be given a second chance since we improved drastically in materials and technology over Hindenburg era. Also they are aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>we blims now
>>
>>899482
Parasite drag increases with airspeed, and thusly is much less important on things that fly slow anyhow. Nobody cares that airships are draggy.
>>
I was looking at airforce bases on google earth last year and found a bunch of these huge ass blimps at one base in the desert in southern california

there were things like F16s near by so you could see the scale of them and they were like 5 football feilds big
>>
>>899793
I really don't think of airships as speed demons in the first place, though making flying cruise ships out of them might be an interesting idea
>>
Maybe they should give hydrogen another go. Much cheaper than helium and the lifting gas can be used as fuel. As long as the concentration of hydrogen is kept high enough it won't burn or explode.
>>
>>899813
Theres no fucking way they were 1800 feet long.
>>
>>899833
yea it was theyre secret though i dont know what theyre gonna use them for the fbi interogated me after i found them on google earth
>>
>>899844
You're a fucking retard and are so obviously making shit up. Seriously, how fucking dense are you?
>>
>>899844
> claims to have seen secret airships that are 300 ft longer than the longest ocean-going ship ever built

No.
>>
File: 201511230430.jpg (359 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
201511230430.jpg
359 KB, 1920x1080
>>899479
For just a moment, it reminded me of this.
>>
>>899870
'No' is exactly what they want you to think anon
>>
File: but i dont get it tho.jpg (50 KB, 600x788) Image search: [Google]
but i dont get it tho.jpg
50 KB, 600x788
>>900322
>That gif

Is that a thing? If it is, I just became a basic white bitch outside of a closed Starbucks who literally can't even
>>
Can you listening to Johann Strauyss while sitting in an airship with Johan Strauss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHOnbTL87Ww
>>
>>900363
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>899481
>How does it deal with strong winds?
Winds are only really an issue when near the ground, or if there's a strong enough differential to cause wind shear. In the air, all the wind will do is affect your groundspeed (which it does to airplanes as well) and I think this one is supposed to be able to do 100+ mph so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

>>899482
Mainly because an airship wider than it is tall is preferable, since it can use the hull as a wing.

>>899793
Drag reduction can actually give a significant performance increase for airships, though as long as the hull is aerodynamically shaped, having a large cross-sectional area isn't as big a deal.
>>
I wonder how their Integrated Sensor Is Structure coming along?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.