[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fixies with no brakes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
Well that's an incredibly clever idea. I wonder what could possibly go wrong. Why do people even have brakes anymore? I mean come on, it's 2015. I don't see why I should be discriminated against in traffic simply because there are no brakes on my vehicle, that is pure prejudice, all vehicles are equal. Safety is a social construct which caused the needless introduction of brakes, something the corporate giants that are big brakes has been cashing in on (Shimano, etc). Liberate yourself from physics and don't be discriminated against on the road, brakes are a scam by big companies to make you buy needless old levers and calipers which are useless and a social construct.
>>
but there are brakes, they operate on torque as opposed to friction
>>
>>899425
What if the chain comes off? And I'm pretty sure I've seen the douches who ride these braking by placing their foot on the rim.
>>
>>899427
well the chain doesn't just "come off" because single speed casettes and chainrings are much more secure, the only thing that could happen is the chain breaking which is a catastrophic failure no matter what type of bike you're on (again, less likely to happen on a fixed/ss)

you might see bmxers doing that but I can assure you nobody riding a fixie would do that when they could simply resist the movement of the pedals. people who ride road bikes can do that too, that doesn't mean it's correct. perhaps you should educate yourself on how bicycles work before you crusade against something you don't like
>>
>>899430
I've broken a few chains, didn't even get fucked up
>>
A Fixie without brakes is meant for the Track and shouldn't even come with the required drilled holes, if not, then your Frame just shares the Trackgeometry but its NOT even close to one, and therefore, don't be a fucking suicidebomber and fucking put brakes on it. It looks ugly? It doesn't look as pure as a trackbike? Oh i've got news for you stupid piece of disgrace! IT IS NOT EVEN A TRACKBIKE. Trackbikes belong on the track, fucking get it into your brain you piece of shit
>>
>>899430
Nope, I see hundreds of fixed fags braking with their foot on the rim. Why do they need to do this? I'm pretty sure their bikes don't even have backpedal braking.
>>
>>899407
I love my fixed gear. Yea I get I'm riding a meme but I still think it's pretty fun and its originally what got me into cycling. It also got my friends into riding as well so a lot of good has come out of it. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my trek 2100 tho. R.I.P. in peace
>>
>>899430
"chain breaking which is a catastrophic failure"

troll/10, but if serious then retard.

working brakes on a bike irrelevent if there is a chain or not.

The only catastrophic failure here is your hipster though process.

aka

braindead
>>
>>899503
On a bike that produces braking via the crank, be it fixed gear or hub brake (With no secondary brake attached), a chain slip/snap 'would' be a catastrophic failure, it prevents both powered movement and deceleration rendering the machine inert. Ya know, unless you're uphill from home and want to burn your shoes up.
>>
>>899518
It would have catastophic consequences on a fixie with backpedal braking. But it is certainly not an uncommon problem. Chains come off easily. Chains snap. With brakes at least you can prevent yourself being squashed like a watermelon by a truck if your chain comes off.
>>
>>899495
Then they aren't fixed...
>>
>>899519
Sure, but the same it true for a freewheel and single cable brake, if said cable snaps.
You could argue based on opinion which is more 'likely' to occur, but accidents happen.
Neither rider 'deserves' to be hit by a truck for not having a secondary brake, especially if the primary is up-kept and maintained as well as could be expected.
>>
>>899522
My carbon road bike has 2 brakes, so there is a backup.

Also, brake cables rarely snap when you look after a bike. A chain coming off is a far far more frequent occurrence.
>>
>>899524
Sure, but there are a ton of kids with Bmx, or Dj mtb that run single brake, because its a 'trick' bike, and there is nothing wrong with that, its a bike for a task.
Having an optioning of "Anyone without redundancy should to die" is some tumbler level shit. - I realize there is fixie hate, but many other riders have single brake solutions also.
I don't want some kid ridin' to the local ramp park to be skittled by a bus caus he's not on a super sport carbon road warrior machine.
I also reject your option of chain vs cable snap rate, having known guys that pride themselves on being able to pull a lever hard enough to snap cables at whim, vs the times i've seen chain failure on a correctly build single speed (not fixed) bmx or dj-mtb.
>>
>>899502
>originally what got me into cycling. It also got my friends into riding

What the fuck has happened that fixies get people into cycling? Is everyone a hipster sheep these days?
>>
>>899528
I don't even care, hopefully the influx of rider numbers causes an improvement in road infrastructure to make cycling a more approachable and safer transportation for all. Even if it takes a 'fad' to come and go.
>>
>>899526
I am not sure whether to bother replying to you as you are clearly a moron.

I'm not saying they should be killed if they don't have brakes, I'm saying there is a higher chance.

Every bike I've ever had has had 2 brakes, from mtbs to fixies. I have never owned a bmx bike, and I don't even class them as bicycles.
>>
>>899536
>I like 2 brakes because every bike I've ever had has 2 brakes
>Everyone else, who has anything else, for any reason, is stupid
Logic
>>
>>899539
I'm not saying your stupid, I'm saying it's dangerous.
>>
>>899536
>+ Bonus points
>Trying to replace established definitions with option "Bmx isn't a bike"
>I own fixies
Yeh, about that tumbler suggestion above....
>>
>>899542
I did own a fixie in the past for a few months. Got rid of it though as it sucked for going long distances on. It is ok for urban start stop traffic, but long distances are painful. Plus all the kids who would swarm round and stare asaying nice bike started to get annoying.

And a bmx is a toy not a proper bike for transport.
>>
File: fugg.jpg (116 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
fugg.jpg
116 KB, 640x640
>>899528
>is everyone a hipster sheep these days?

I guess so but everyone starts somewhere. I'm not trying to make myself out to be some special snowflake, all I'm saying is I ride a fixed gear and I happen to like it.
>>
>>899536
>I have never owned a bmx bike, and I don't even class them as bicycles.
>bmx bike
>bicycle mx bike
>I don't even class them as bicycles
>>
https://vimeo.com/30420931
>>
>>899536
Well that makes you a moron.
>>
>>899567
dope
>>
>>899407
What's with fixie kids and those really skinny steel forks?
I've seen it quite a lot on fixies, figure it might be a trend I'm unaware of.
>>
Shouldn't you kids be at the skate park doing some tricks? Maybe sick jumps is more your thing
>>
>>899495
You're even dumber than the thing you think you hate...
>>
>>899612
allegedly it's so they can "fit through traffic"
>>
File: mfw.jpg (27 KB, 495x469) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
27 KB, 495x469
>>900429
>allegedly it's so they can "fit through traffic"
>fork

What? I've heard that reason for short bars but never a skinny fork.
>>
>>899612
That's just what forks used to look like.

Steel stronk, carbon a pigfat
>>
>>899427
>>899495
>And I'm pretty sure I've seen the douches who ride these braking by placing their foot on the rim
I very much doubt that.

>I'm pretty sure their bikes don't even have backpedal braking.
Why are you ascribing fixed gear bikes to them in that case?

>>899522
No one you are talking to is advocating the use of a freewheel bike with a single brake in traffic.

>>899536
…and you were going so well until then.
>>
>>900429
>>900431
yeah this makes no sense whatsoever
>>
>ctrl+f 'skid'
>0 results
Am I missing something here?
Fixies are just another style of bike that should be accepted into the cycling community. Asshole rider or not, they're fighting all the same issues we are, just with worse knees.
>>
>>899612
Track forks traditionally have round fork blades, for stiffness, road bikes have oval fork blades for clearance. A 24mm round blade is 24mm, a 24mm oval blade is 28x19mm.
>>
>>900594
Also braking forces need wider blades.
>>
>>899407
Breaks r 4 fakes
Stay fixie
>>
File: 1437860769678.jpg (424 KB, 1000x952) Image search: [Google]
1437860769678.jpg
424 KB, 1000x952
>>899407
breaks never work when all else fails

plus, you can do this
>pic related
>>
>>900423
kek
>>
>>900594
>>900598
This answers my question, thank you!
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.