[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/pol/ack here. Looking for any information if you guys have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1446276367707.jpg (4 MB, 2412x1608) Image search: [Google]
1446276367707.jpg
4 MB, 2412x1608
/pol/ack here. Looking for any information if you guys have experience with airliners or if you know anything about this story

A Russian airliner has crashed in central Sinai with more than 200 people on board, the office of Egypt's prime minister has confirmed.
The Airbus A-321 had just taken off from the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, on its way to the Russian city of St Petersburg.
There were conflicting reports about the fate of the plane, some suggesting it had disappeared over Cyprus.
Most of the passengers are said to be Russian tourists.

Sources:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34687139

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/31/us-egypt-crash-idUSKCN0SP06V20151031
>>
>>894025
Airbus did nothing wrong
>>
>>894025
Sadly /n/ is full of bicylists who are interested by crappy 1990s mountain bikes and racing people who are cycling to work.
>>
File: 1446284944039[1].png (800 KB, 1007x921) Image search: [Google]
1446284944039[1].png
800 KB, 1007x921
>>894029
The pilots and mechanics are here. They're just very slow, which is ironic for a place for transportation.
>>
Cyclist here. Most likely, the cagers in the cockpit were too busy texting, and handed control to children so they could finish the tweet.

This has happened before

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

It's just russians, it's not like any real people died. Anyway if it had been a boeing the controls would have been in sync and the child pilots wouldn't have been applying opposite commands on the sidestick. Boeing is for real pilots because it doesn't take the control away and give it to machines.
>>
>>894047
quick question cause I'm new to /n/
how the fuck can so many people have such a cycling hobby? I mean you turn your legs on a contraption and you go forward.
>>
Sinai is crawling with ISIS, my bet is that it was shot down by them.
>>
>>894048
It's currently the most efficient means of transportation using only your muscles.
You turn your legs on a contraption and go forward, faster than you would run with less effort than walking, free soak in the views, listen to the birds and breathe fresh air. You can cover over a hundred miles in a day, something not achievable otherwise without an external engine.
>>
File: sanitation-sticker.jpg (120 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sanitation-sticker.jpg
120 KB, 1024x768
>>894048
I wonder the same about murdercages. People sperging about how the newest murdercage can go over 400mph but in reality it never goes over 30 because gridlock traffic and the most interesting feature is electronic parking assistance because cagers spend over 25% of their waking hours monitoring alternate side parking announcements and moving their cage for the street cleaners.

I understand if you're trapped in some place where the cops shoot non-motorists on sight, but I didn't think anyone actually lived there. It's just a thing you see from the plane when you're traveling between new york and san francisco.
>>
>>894052
I guess it depends on where you live. Australia has quite a large land mass with an incredibly low population making "murder cages" more beneficial than bikes. But I can see your argument if you live in or near a big city
>>
File: RuralHealth.png (459 KB, 580x386) Image search: [Google]
RuralHealth.png
459 KB, 580x386
>>894054
I thought most of the places that mattered were fairly dense. Like sydney and melbourne. There's another besides that right? ACT or something?

Anyway of course, if you live in the mad max desert, it makes sense to have a full murdecage and be heavily armed to guard against bandits and rape.

But I thought Aus was like the USA in the sense that no one really lives in the in between parts, except a small number of dangerously antisocial individuals with strong, quixotic ideas about how society ought to work.
>>
>>894055
no, there are plenty of country towns all with internet connections lol. Plenty of people live in the country. Probably 50/50 to be honest but I couldn't say for sure. There also just such a huge distance between towns too.

Yeah if you speak to People from Melbourne or Sydney they will tell you how great bikes are but where I live unless it's a motorbike it's pretty useless
>>
>>894050

it was flying at 31,000ft ffs. ISIS ain't hitting anything at that altitude.
>>
>>894058
The theory I'm hearing is that the plane descended due to a technical issue, and at that point became low enough to shoot down.
BBC says that "Initial examination" blames the crash on a technical fault, and this bears out the ISIS theory.

Either way, I don't think anyone would want to admit that an airliner just got shot down by MANPADS, so this theory will come to rest with the jet fuel and steel beam crowd regardless of whether or not it is accurate.
>>
>>894062
a MANPAD has literally 1/100 the warhead of the Buk that shot down the Malaysia jet. It's not going to blow a jet like that out of the sky. It could disable an engine or otherwise do some damage, but the damage would look very different from what happened in ukraine.

So it couldn't be ISIS, unless ISIS suddenly has much more sophisticated weapons systems than we thought.

Russia isn't known for good air safety. It was probably a preventable mechanical problem which in turn got handled badly by typical russian pilots.
>>
HERE ARE SOME UPDATES:
www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-34687309

"The jihadist group Islamic State (IS) claims that it downed Flight KGL9268 in a statement published on the Telegram messaging app.

The crash site is in an area where the Egyptian government is fighting an insurgency led by a local IS affiliate called Sinai Province. But Egyptian security sources earlier said there was no indication that the plane had been shot down or blown up."
>>
>>894025
revenge for Malaysia Flight 17
>>
"What is worrying a lot of people in the aviation safety community is the haste with which both the Russian and and Egyptian authorities seem to be saying: 'We know this was mechanical failure.' In the event of any disaster like this, particularly when the aircraft is at high attitude, there's generally the need simply to wait until the black boxes - the flight data and cockpit voice recorders - have been analysed and then start to work out the sequence of events. And it has been asserted that perhaps they want to do this on the Egyptian side to rule out any terrorist-related activity, because the area in which the aircraft was flying over is a hotbed of Islamist fighters who are taking on Egyptian forces."
>>
>>894025
It's unlikely a MANPAD got it, though if it did a hit in the right spot could knock out the fuel lines or hydraulics, both of which would be a rather catastrophic failure.

We won't know anything for certain until the black box is recovered, though a transcript of the radio traffic between the controlling ATC and the aircraft could illuminate what went down
>>
>>894064
A lucky MANPAD shot could hit a fuel line and start a fire or knock out the hydraulics if it got the wing, but it would need to be a lot lower and a head-on shot.
>>
"

Russian Transport Minister Maxim Sokolov says the plane could not have been downed by a missile fired by jihadist militants. "Such reports cannot be considered true," he tells the Interfax news agency, according to BBC Monitoring.
In regards to the Islamic States claim
"We are in close touch with our colleagues from Egypt and their air traffic authorities, and they have nothing at the moment which could confirm such fabrications," he adds.
>>
>>894029
>where are my fellow fsX fans?
Found the autistic sim pilot
>>
pic related

Russian news website Lifenews has published images of what it says are the first from the scene of the crash, taken from Egyptian media. In one photo, part of the aircraft is seen blackened, scorched and smouldering on the ground.
>>
>>894052
>that fucking projection
>>
>>894056
>50/50
Over 1/3 of Australians live in just Sydney and Melbourne alone. 89% of Australians live in urban* areas.
>>
>>894077
A very lucky shot. The plane would have to have lost altitude already for any chance of a hit in the first place
>>
>>894058
>>894062

Those russian airlines have shitty maintenance records. How good is their security?

Shit maintenance with a bomb stuffed on board to help things would also fit the what we've seen.
>>
>>894030
That speed/altitude graph is fucked to high heaven. It's almost like a thrust reverser came out
>>
>>894209
>Take it up to speed then . THROW IT IN REVERSE
>>
>>894209
Or the tail broke off because of reasons, it stalled, then went into a flat spin and pancaked. Which is consistent with the crash site photos and the available altitude/speed data.

The remaining question is how did the tail break off. Flight envelope protection would have made it hard to do an AA587 type of scenario, so was it a bomb? A bulkhead failure? There are reports the aircraft suffered a tailstrike some time ago, so that could be an interesting line of inquiry if it was incorrectly repaired.
>>
>>894359
Look up the Lauda Air 767 crash in Thailand. Uncommanded reverser deployments happen sometime.
>>
THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR NOT RIDING A BIKE FROM EGYPT TO ST. PETERSBURG, ASSHOLES!!!
>>
>>894367
It was a 20-ish year old airframe, wasn't it? That, mixed with some rather shoddy Russian maintenance, makes me think it was indeed a failure on the maintainers' part (and quite possibly some cavalier attitudes towards maintenance on the airline's part in the first place). We had a maintainer in the last /gag/ thread telling us horror stories of Boeings they'd get that were fucked up all to hell and the lengths they had to go to to get them airworthy, and Russkies are notorious for saying "CLOSE ENOUGH, WHAT ARE OF YOU, BITCH?" and calling it good
>>
>Flights shut down because of concerns of explosive device.
>>
Most MANPADs can't break 10k feet, and have a relatively small warhead. If it wasn't a bomb, it was probably glorious slavic maintenance.
>>
>>894452
20 years isn't unreasonably old for an airliner. Delta still regularly flies MD-80s well into their thirties.
>>
>>894367
>There are reports the aircraft suffered a tailstrike some time ago
assuming this is the case, that's at least the third time a poorly-repaired tailstrike took down an airliner years afterward
>>
Bump for people who don't know how to use the catalog
>>
>>895931
Bump
>>
/k/ommando here,

A couple of us autists are playing around with the idea that this was a ten pound acetone peroxide bomb, shrapnel characteristics as of yet unknown, which might have been smuggled onboard.

These devices are known to be built by ISIS, often as suicide vests. Would the pattern of damage in this accident be more likely to have been caused by a vest or carry-on in the cabin area? Or does the damage look like it came from the underside luggage area?

Some (not all) of us believe that the actual device employed isn't the one in Russian media, although multiple cola cans of explosive packed together might have done the trick. We are interested in plausable, scientifically sound theories, not of the jet fuel and steel beams type.

Any intrigue we expect to find will most likely be stifling of details, such as the size and location of the device, in an attempt to prevent copycats. I personally think this is absurd because the bombing masterminds know what they did and can do it again unless people actually know what to look for.

Since you know what I am about, I leave it to you to decide what to share. Any info you feel comfortable with sharing would be appreciated.
>>
>>899239
>>>/k/27926980
^^This is my relevant post on /k/ that I was referring to.

Our board isn't the quickest board but a thread can clear in a few hours. If the thread is kill, just post here if you can.

I will be checking here periodically as long as this thread is active.
>>
>>899239
Would a ten pound acetone peroxide bomb reach the flashpoint of jet fuel?
>>
>>899250
Not likely. The blast pressure wave moves too fast to reliably ignite kerosene.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.