[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things that make you automatically discredit someone as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: fred.jpg (155 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
fred.jpg
155 KB, 612x612
ITT: Things that make you automatically discredit someone as a cyclist.

>uses Di2
>doesn't wear a helmet
>has a Brooks saddle
>rides a fat bike on pavement
>cross-chains
>rides on the sidewalk
>is fat but still wears full kit
>is fat but still rides a super lightweight bike
>is fat but still rides a super aero bike
(nothing against fat cyclists btw, it's good that they are getting out and improving themselves)
>no bottle cages
>only bikes for sport; doesn't commute, tour, randonneur, go on adventure rides, or anything else
>always drives death cage to the bike trails (it's okay to do it sometimes, but you have to ride from home at least some of the time)
>only owns one bike and it's carbon
>owns multiple bikes and they are all carbon
(carbon race bikes are great but everyone needs a steel bike for commuting and general riding, if you ONLY ride to race/gotta go fast, then you are a faggot and not a true cyclist)
>people that don't carry flat repair tools and a multitool when they ride
>people that take their bike to the LBS for flat fixes
>people that don't know the difference between hybrids (good all-around bikes) and cruisers/comfort bikes (shit tier abominations)
>not knowing the brand and model of the bike they are riding
>people that use dry lube (wet lube is NOT dirtier if you dry off the chain after lubing it, and wet lube lasts longer; if you want lube for dry conditions then use wax/ceramic, not dry/teflon lube)
>>
File: 832001.jpg (72 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
832001.jpg
72 KB, 800x800
>>893020
That's just like, your opinion man
>>
>>893020
Oh yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.
>>
>>893020
What is /n/'s obsession with this image? If you want other images of freds just check the thread where people post pictures of themselves.
>>
>>893020
i've used rollerblades for transportation so i can't
say i share your sentiment

i see a cyclist and my only reaction is look at that awesome human being cycling amongst all these death machines
>>
People that think a hybrid bike is a suitable choice for any type of riding. Hybrid riders are infinitely worse than fixie riders. Their number one reason for not riding a road bike is usually some smug comment about not wanting their back bent out of shape. If a road bike hurts your back, your road bike doesn't fit. An upright bike is infinitely more jarring to your spine than a bike with drop bars.
>>
>has a Brooks saddle

I'm fat and my main problem with long distances was not leg fatigue but intense asspain from my cheeks getting mashed into steak tartare. Brooks B17 doubled the time before discomfort starts and slowed the onset of the asspain by half.

tl;dr OP is a fag.
>>
>>893054
>has a Brooks saddle

Exactly, you're not a real cyclist. If you actually put in the hours riding, your ass would have hardened the fuck up. You're also fat.

>is fat but still wears full kit
>is fat but still rides a super lightweight bike
>is fat but still rides a super aero bike
>>
>>893020
I own a hybrid, don't wear a helmet, and drive my bike to the trails in my cage. Fortunately for me I don't want to be a cyclist. I want to enjoy riding my bike on dedicated trails with my girlfriend.
>>
>>893056
>If you actually put in the hours riding, your ass would have hardened the fuck up.

Bull fucking shit, I've been commuting 20km one way for the last two years and usually do a ride of 70-150km on the weekends, it doesn't change shit. At least with the brooks I don't want to die on the last 50 km.
Oh and I ride a steel 29er with full fenders and a rack, that thing probably weighs like 16 kg.
>>
>>893020
ITT:
no one is an actual cyclist, they just ride bikes
>>
>ITT: Things that make you automatically discredit someone as a cyclist
>owns nice things
>>
>>893020
-Helmet: Most of the time, but not always.
-Brooks: Never used one, but why the hate?
-No bottle: Nope. Deal with it.
-No flat kit: I use Marathon Plus tires, what are flats?
-Cruiser/comfort: Nice to rent for a day, but ya I would not own one.
-Dry lube: Toothed belt is just always dry. (except in the rain)

>>893050
I have a city bike with flat bars. Not a half-way 'hybrid' of road and mountain, but it's own thing. Just city. Have no need of aero position or multiple hand grips that drop bars provide. Do need to play in traffic and hop curbs. And it has lights and fenders and stuff too!
>>
>>893020
>doesn't wear a helmet
My commiserations on your internalised cagerism, OP.
>>
>>893020
I was gonna give you a 0/10 but then all these idiots replied, 8/10 just for all the butthurt and excuses you brought out.
>>
I ride a Selle Regal aka Belgium Hardman Saddle on my road bike and a Selle turbo on my cross bike. Bibs or shorts only for some long rides, often just raw dog ass it with some casual shorts. My ass has perpetual saddle sores which I just harden the fuck up and ignore. Well aside from showering after any decent ride, gotta do that or it's terrible. It doesn't ever stop me riding. Probably gonna get pic related for my Gunnar touring bike. Problem OP? Nothing wrong with being comfy.

I generally wear a helmet, always if i'm wearing kit, but sometimes like riding up long closed hills or just cruising the breeze is too damn nice. Helmets are just each persons call man, who are you to decide.

I don't have a carbon bike (anymore) but they're great. Stop hating poorfag.

No bottle? Yeah, I always take one, but do u even Jobst Brandt?

Only Bikes for sport? Why do you need to participate or have some name for what you do? Why do you need a reason to ride? Just going out and riding because you like it is awesome. What the fuck is an 'adventure ride' anyway?

2015- People have cellphones and tires are actually good. Yeah i carry tools and can change a flat but i wish my bike wasn't about to explode half the time. If you have a decent ride and good condition puncture proof tires, you're so unlikely to run into trouble, unless you're going far and wide its all good to just be optimistic and then call for help if you need it.

I automatically discredit someone as a cyclist if they don't ride a bicycle, that's it. Anyone who wants to cycle, that's great. More cyclists on the road make it safer for me and more people buying bike shit means more diverse stuff for me to buy. Stop hating OP
>>
People who actually spend more than $200 on any bicycle and bicycle accessories/gear (except those who actually do competitive biking on a semi-regular basis).

It doesn't make you "more of a cyclist", in fact it does the exact opposite, it just shows how you're a speshul snowflake who can't actually bike because you need your speshul snowflake gear to accomplish such a basic task that almost every 10-year-old is able to accomplish.
>>
>>893056
velominati faggot fuck off
>>
>>893090
do you hold this opinion because you are poor? I'm not rich and I make about $200 a day... you gotta treat yourself especially when you get so much pleasure from riding and its good for you... unlike the hookers and blow I used to waste my money on.
>>
>>893097
>I make about $200 a day
I'm not rich but I'm not poor either.

I hold this opinion for the reasons I already cited. People who act like they "NEED" their expensive gear are fairly pathetic. Again, the average 10-year-old is able to bike without any special gear, so actually going out of your way and dumping tons of money on that stuff and acting like it's essential to your biking experience makes you a non-bicyclist.

A true bicyclist is able to take the most broken, useless, dirty, uncomfortable bicycle, repair it himself and actually ride it extensively. All of this while wearing jeans, sandals, a baggy shirt and a hat which generates lots of drag.
>>
>>893107
> People who act like they "NEED" their expensive gear
Nobody does this, you are projecting your insecurity on to them
>>
>>893107

The average 10 year old doesn't ride hundreds of miles a week, nikki.

Just because you're poor and you don't actually ride, doesn't mean everyone else is like you.

Also use your trip so I can filter you.
>>
>>893115
>waaah waaah I ride a few hours per week, woe is me, I need muh expensive speshul snowflake gear
Get over yourself, you're a non-bicyclist at heart, just accept it and move on.
>>
>>893121
>I can't afford $30 for padded shorts
In other news, I don't actually work for a living because I'm not living in slave barracks picking cotton in Old Dixie

It's night, nikki. You're on the clock, you shouldn't be shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>893125
>padded shorts
kek, what's next?

>I need muh nostril-dehumidifier for more comfortable bicycling, it's only 30$, are you some sort of poorfag?

Again, how does it feel that the average 10-year-old (LITERALLY) is able to bike just fine on the shittiest bike possible with no gear whatsoever, while you throw a hissy fit and start going spastic just because God forbid you have to ride a few hours per week without your speshul snowflake gear?

And don't give me that "i don't actually need it" shit, given your autismal and over-defensive reaction you clearly are VERY attached to your gear.

I reiterate: you're not a bicyclist at heart. You don't drive your bicycle. Your gear and your bicycle drive YOU. You're just there for the ride so that you can justify being pretentious somehow.

And no, I'm not "nikki", I have no idea who nikki is, I almost never post on /n/ actually.
>>
>>893127
>tl;dr
You don't ride. That much is abundantly clear.
>>
>>893128
I do, I'm just not a pretentious hipster about it. A cheap bike with no gear (except for a cheap light which I bought for night-time riding) is more than enough.
>>
>>893130
>I'm poor
Yes, you said as much here >>893107
There is no need to repeat yourself
>>
>>893131
I said "I'm not rich but I'm not poor either".

Meanwhile, you've still conveniantly danced around all the points I've laid out.

But it's okay! Spending money on useless gear like a MAMYL makes you a real hardcore bicyclist! It's not like bicycling is something that any 10-year-old is able to do, r-right? :^)
>>
>>893134
Translation: I'm poor
>>
File: 1364179772718.jpg (55 KB, 330x289) Image search: [Google]
1364179772718.jpg
55 KB, 330x289
>>893136
kek, if you're just going to repeat yourself in such a display of butthurt and autism, then I'll leave you be. But before I go:

>literally prides himself on buying special gear to perform a task which any 10-year-old can perform for almost free
>mfw
>>
>>893138
Stay in school, kids
>>
>>893121
>>893107
>>893090
>all this elitism about being poor
wew
>>
>>893107

a TRUE bicyclist would build their bike out of twigs and mud, sorry you guys arent TRUE bicyclists like me
>>
>>893140
It seems that it's now become cool to express one's jealousy as elitism. You see it on all the boards, not just /n/. People who can't afford things love to tell the people who can that they shouldn't buy said things for whatever reason, simply because they lack the resources to acquire it themselves, but attempt to mask their insecurities by degrading those with means. It's actually pretty amusing.

>>893138
People might pride themselves on their bike, if they saved their money and purchased it, it may be special, and good on them. However, I don't think people pride themselves (and certainly the person you're arguing with doesn't), on buying the related equipment. He simply stated that he can afford it, it does not produce any fiscal hardship unto him, and therefore he does. Simple.
>>
>>893127
>discredits anyone on anything besides a walmart bike.
>>
>carbon race bikes are great but everyone needs a steel bike for commuting and general riding

Great, so I can waste twice as much time, money and space maintaining 2 bikes instead of just one just to gain some hipster street cred.
>>
>>893020
>doesn't wear a helmet

Why are you guys obsessed with looking like a dildo?

That $200 foam hat won't do shit if you do any serious riding. If you are prone to falling off your bike while riding under 15 mph or have very poor situational awareness then I'd understand. Otherwise, enjoy your $200 jimmy hat.
>>
>>893050
I have an aero carbon road bike, an OTS, and a hybrid. Come at me, faggot.
>>
>>893054
OP here, no, you are a faggot. What is double the time? 10 km instead of 5 km? If you wear padded cycling shorts and get a GOOD saddle that is fitted to you and have it positioned correctly then you will be more comfortable than you could ever be on a Brooks.
>>
>>893084
>I don't have a carbon bike (anymore) but they're great. Stop hating poorfag.
OP here. I have two carbon bikes so go fuck yourself. I said that ONLY having carbon bikes discredits someone as a cyclist. If you have carbon and steel (like me - I have two of each) then you're in the clear.
>Only Bikes for sport? Why do you need to participate or have some name for what you do? Why do you need a reason to ride? Just going out and riding because you like it is awesome. What the fuck is an 'adventure ride' anyway?
I mean if you only ever do races, training rides, group roadie full kit rides, and mountain bike then you are a fake cyclist. All of those things are great, but they are not the core of cycling. The core of cycling is commuting, touring, randonneuring, and going out to ride just to ride.
>>
>>893149
More like so your carbon bike doesn't get stolen when you lock it up. Oh wait, that's right, you're not a true cyclist. You don't even commute by bike.
>>893152
I randonneur with a WTB saddle because I'm not a faggot.
>>
>>893169

Never heard of insurance, eh?
>>
>>893168
As someone who owns carbon and steel, unless the steel bike is a beater or something I can say that owning a steel bike and a carbon bike discredits you and makes you a gullible fool that believes steel is real
>>
>>893183
One steel bike is an 80s bike that I got cheap, it's kind of a beater but I like it too much to abuse it. But I don't mind if I have to leave it locked for a while. So it's somewhat of a beater.
My other steel bike is what I use for some commuting, randonneuring, general riding for fun. There is no reason to have anything other than steel for that type of bike (except Ti, but that's too expensive). That bike is also my touring bike and steel is good for touring for repairability
tldr you are a faggot
>>
>>893184
>repairability
What a faggot. Proving once again steel is real fags are gullible idiots.
>>
File: 1373662015871.jpg (19 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
1373662015871.jpg
19 KB, 209x241
>>893020
>uses Di2
Dura-Ace Di2 here. Stay mad.
>only bikes for sport; doesn't commute, tour, randonneur, go on adventure rides, or anything else
Why would I commute on my bike? I have a car for that.
>owns multiple bikes and they are all carbon
I own three carbon bikes. There's literally no reason to use aluminium unless you're too poor to afford carbon.
>people that don't carry flat repair tools and a multitool when they ride
27'5 tubeless on the trails, Schwalbe One road tubeless on the tarmac. Stay pleb.

Holy fuck, I can SMELL how poor you are.
>>
>>893184
>There is no reason to have anything other than steel for that type of bike
>steel is good for touring for repairability
Translation: I'm too poor to afford anything besides rusty steel bikes. Anyone with more disposable income than me must have homosexual urges.

I'd lube my chain with your tears, but they are too salty :^)
>>
>>893186
> tour, randonneur, go on adventure rides
The irony is all of these are for sport and recreation, and if you aren't a poor camp on the roadsidefag, you can go CC touring on carbon too.
>>
File: 1445778533530.jpg (42 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1445778533530.jpg
42 KB, 600x400
>>893020
>only cycles for sport
Topkek you fucking idiot, so all the professional cyclists in the world who only ride for sport are discredited?
>>
>>893186
>>Why would I commute on my bike? I have a car for that.

Is your commute really long? I'd rather get more riding in, but then I don't have anything to commute to.
>>
>>893189
Strictly speaking if they're a professional sport is work, isn't it? Not that it matters.
>>
>>893167
Not that guy but padded shorts don't work for me. The extra padding bunches up in the perineal area and stands as the densest point where the pressure will be concentrated when you sit on it.
>>
>>893230
>bunches up
are you getting those shitty baggy padded shorts? those are garbage, why do casuals think lycra is for looks? you think ANYONE thought "oh hey I think I'd like to wear some fashionable lycra today"?

no you fucking mong, it's because it works well
>>
>>893182
more like can't afford insurance
>>
>>893020
either you're an ebin trollface or you have some serious insecurity issues and probably need therapy.
>>
>>893195
He's probably one of those "I'll buy a bike to lose weight" cagers who considers riding a bike to be a form of punishment and suffering to be endured in exchange for "finally being healthy"
>>
>>893020
>being bothered by anything on this list

Makes you a Fred because you care more about your image and the image of others than riding your damn bike.
>>
>>893186
I never said aluminum fucking dumbass, obviously aluminum is for poorfags. And carbon is for faggots. Steel or titanium is best. And I'm not poor, I have two carbon bikes but since I'm not a faggot, they aren't my only bikes, I also have two steel bikes. Fuck off cager. >>>/o/
>>
File: doubt woman.png (46 KB, 256x316) Image search: [Google]
doubt woman.png
46 KB, 256x316
>>893062
>I'm fat
>I've been commuting 20km one way for the last two years
>usually do a ride of 70-150km on the weekends
>>
>5mm spacer above the stem

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF FORK YOU HAVE. FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET THAT FUCKING CAP ONTO THE STEM.
>>
>>893302
>nikolasv detected
>>
>>893310
Entirely possible. 8 years ago I was ~280lbs and was doing 6-7k miles/year for 3 years at that time. I needed to fix my diet to lose fat.
>>
>>893090
>People who actually spend more than $200 on any bicycle and bicycle accessories/gear (except those who actually do competitive biking on a semi-regular basis).

I get that buying Tune hubs is kinda retarded, but nonetheless, a quality bike ( which means: one that you put togather and then only lube chains, replace tyres etc ) will push you back more then that. 500-1000$ depending on the variety, I reckon.

That being said, none of my my bikes cost more then that ( I own 2 full sussers and one tourer )
>>
>>893331
Only a person under the poverty line with no disposable income would say that. That or a utility cyclist who cycles because they can't afford a car or have a DUI. For lots of people, and in first world countries, for most people, cycling is a hobby, and you spend disposable income on hobbies.
>>
File: 1414994526355.jpg (62 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1414994526355.jpg
62 KB, 450x450
ITT: /n/ has a dick waving content
>>
>>893346

Contest**
>>
File: an hero.jpg (54 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
an hero.jpg
54 KB, 750x600
>>893324
Are you fucking retarded? You are supposed to put a 5mm spacer above the stem if you have a carbon steerer. Otherwise you will damage the steerer from clamping the stem at the top of the steerer.
>>
>>893337
Alternatively, you might not see an added value from buying uber $ stuff. My main objection is the minimum price one needs to pay to get a decent bike. $200 is way too low, IMO, unless you get a very, very good deal - like a NOS 1992 high class bike.

I honestly cannot say, that experience of riding $4k bike is any different $700 bike. I assure you, I blew a lot of cash on bikes in the last 7 years.

However. I do agree. If you have the money, and the need - go for it.
>>
>>893168
>I mean if you only ever do mountain bike then you are a fake cyclist.

Get fucked, faggot. Mountain Biking takes all the physical exertion of "proper" cycling, but actually requires skill.

Roads are boring.
>>
>>893346
IET these days
>>
>>893358
just stop responding to a troll thread... or wait dont, all the trolls will just stay here.
>>
>>893358
I didn't say you have to road bike fucking dumbass but if you only mountain bike and don't commute by bike then you are a casual fake cyclist. Real cyclists commute by bike.
>>
File: blarhgahahahrrrha.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
blarhgahahahrrrha.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>>893186
>Why would I commute on my bike?
Some people enjoy riding bikes. That's as good a reason as any.
>>
>>893367
>People with jobs commute by bike.
ftfy

You're only a real cyclist if you have a job? To be honest, that's almost true. You do in fact require money to be a real cyclist, and you get money by having a job.
>>
>>893367
so I am going to hve to ride my bike for 60 miles everyday with 500lbs of tools on my back to be a real cyclist?
>>
>>893387
yes you fucking worthless cager faggot
>>
>>893020
I agree with all of that apart from Di2. I'd use it if I could afford it!
>>
>>893371
Looking at the "roadies" thread, I was going to post and then I realized I wouldn't be welcome.
>I ride once a week on sunday
Why would anyone do that when they can ride every day?
>>
My rides to and from work are often the best parts of my day.

That being said, the premise this thread is pretty dumb
>>
>>893414
As the OP of the roadies thread, I can confirm that I ride every day. Sunday is the only day when I have the time to stretch the legs and do some decent miles. Other than that, I'm riding to work mon-fri and then some mtb on Saturdays.
>>
>>893351
>I honestly cannot say, that experience of riding $4k bike is any different $700 bike.

That doesn't make an audiophile a fake audiophile because they buy stuff that they could only tell the difference between if they were comparing them back to back in a noise isolated room.

Needing to see high marginal returns is something someone who has limited disposable income does. I'm not saying I'm rich, but this is just a case of the jellies.
>>
>>893409
Try it out and you'll change your mind. It feels fake as shit and cheap. I wouldn't use it even if it cost the same as regular stuff.
>>
>>893328
That's true, and he could just be going at a snail's pace over that distance.
>>
>>893020
>>is fat but still wears full kit

What do you consider a fat cyclist?
>>
>>893436
over 18%bf (male)
or whatever the equivilent is for females
>>
File: bicycle-laws-japan.jpg (134 KB, 710x474) Image search: [Google]
bicycle-laws-japan.jpg
134 KB, 710x474
Guilty of 2, 6, and 15. Better than 99% of the cyclists in my country, but I'm willing to bet that more people cycle here than just about any other country save the Netherlands.
>>
>>893020
>ITT: Things that make you automatically discredit someone as a cyclist.
-rides slower that me
-rides faster than me
-rides at the same pace as me
-overtakes me
-drags behind me
-sucks on me wheel
-doesn't let me suck on his wheel
-has a nicer bike than me
-has an old beater with niggerrigged shit on it
-is more fred than me
-is less fred than me
-rides a fixie
-rides a carbon TT bike
-"steel is reel"
-rides a welded aluminium bike
-races
-doesn't take bikeriding seriously
-is a tryhard
-only commutes
-rides because it's fun
-never locks his bike up
-locks the bike with an u-lock
-doesn't lube his chain
-never cleans his bike
-cleans his bike too often
-saddle leaning forward
-saddle leaning backward
-uses drop bars
-uses flat bars
-uses the fucking moustache bars
-has shocks
-has 29" wheels
-has 26" wheels
-is fat
-is anorectic
-smokes pot
-is good with girls
-is a girl
-wears full lycra
-wears helmet
-doesn't wear helmet with lycra
-no gloves
-carries more than two bottles
-doesn't drink enough
Just from top of my head.
>>
>>893451
-rides a bike
>>
>>893020
>death cage??
>>
>>893167
>If you wear padded cycling shorts and get a GOOD saddle that is fitted to you and have it positioned correctly then you will be more comfortable than you could ever be on a Brooks.

Yes, this is why tourers who spend literally MONTHS in the saddle routinely pick anything BUT Brooks.
Retard.
>>
File: $_20 (1).jpg (109 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
$_20 (1).jpg
109 KB, 800x600
just found this on gumtree
>>
A brooks saddle is a fizik saddle... If I were building a bike to a certain aesthetic I'd have no problem using a brooks and they're not the best but they're not awful. Currently riding with a fizik kurve snake though, invest in a kurve! They're incredibly comfortable and slick.
>>
>>893451
>isn't me
>actually is me

the Fred is in all of us
>>
>>893451
>an u-lock
>an
>>
>>893521
an-you-lock
an-oo-lock

How are you pronouncing ulock that it doesn't begin with a vowel sound?
>>
>>893525
But I'm saying it out loud now and it does sound kind of weird.
>>
>>893127
Yes, 10 year olds can bike just fine at 15 km/hr for about 45 minutes.
>>
>>893526
Don't be retarded. You wouldn't say an unicorn, you'd say a unicorn. Same way you'd say a u-lock.
>>
>>893528
Ok, I just looked it up and you're correct.

Fugg.
>>
>>893529
This is 4chan, you're supposed to argue with him until one of you dies or the thread gets deleted.
>>
>>893451
//n/
>>
>>893130
We get it. You don't ride.
>>
>>893020
>spends all his time hating others trying to get into the hobby
>instead of giving others friendly advice, just goes on anonymous imageboards and rants
>>
>>893528
>Don't be retarded. You wouldn't say an unicorn, you'd say a unicorn. Same way you'd say a u-lock.
I've noticed this too, with regard to LEDs.......

For some odd reason when writing about LEDs, it's become popular to say "an LED" instead of "a LED".
Such as--
"This flashlight uses an LED."
???
I've seen it many places online, that otherwise have no issues with US-style English. And it didn't used to be that way. ?:|
>>
>>893857
It depends on if you're sounding out the acronym or if you're actually saying "light emitting diode" every single time. Most people say "ell ee dee"
>>
>>893156
$250 helmet.
>>
>>893423
>Di2 feels fake and I wouldn't use it even if it wasn't more expensive
poorfag in denial right here.
>>
>>893857
It's based on the sound. Ell Eee Dee. Begins with a vowel.

An u-lock is just hard to say, and sounds like "a new lock" so a is used. An unicorn, againhard to say clearly with those two Ns in there, AnUn... So again a is used.
>>
File: 1445633261827.jpg (101 KB, 657x657) Image search: [Google]
1445633261827.jpg
101 KB, 657x657
Protip: Unless you make money off cycling youre not a "cyclist"
>>
>>893020
> then you are a faggot and not a true cyclist
> and not a true cyclist
> true cyclist

People who use this phrase ever.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>894282
gross or net?
>won $75 at a cross race 3 years ago
>only have spent $30k on bikes, travel, and related expenses in the last few years
>>
>>894282
You can say people pay me to cycle. I just happen to use that money to further my cycling needs.
>>
File: 1424790291259.jpg (73 KB, 490x333) Image search: [Google]
1424790291259.jpg
73 KB, 490x333
>>
>>894305
>straw man!
>moving the goalposts!
I bet you think you're so smart
>>
I think i agree with OP on most all his points. I am guilty of driving to the trail a lot though....suburbs are not kind to cyclists ...I add that having the stock reflectors and dork disc still affixed to their bikes is stupid......riding with your seat too low also shows someone doesn't know what the hell they are doing
>>
>>894309
I still don't understand why people make a big deal out of the dork disc. The weight it adds is negligible, it serves a function (though that function is to protect the bike from things that technically should never happen), and it requires effort to remove, why would I waste my time doing that? I'm just going to wait until mine gets hardened in the sun and cracks apart.
>>
>>894337
it's a sign of no self respect

like fat people or people who don't dress well

not going through that small amount of effort isn't in itself the problem, but is instead taken as a sign of greater issues
>>
>>893168
>im poor
>im also unfit

There, could have saved yourself a whole thread mate
>>
>>893186
Even if this is a troll the points are all valid,except
>no reason to own alu unless you're poor
Higher end alu bikes actually make pretty decent crit bikes if you spec them up appropriately. Not heaps comfy, but for an hour of racing they do fine, are usually plenty stiff and you dont have to worry as much if you bin it, which happens an awful lot on a crit circuit
>>
>>893423
Says the min wage worker who has never ridden glorious electronic shifting.
Does it make you mad to know im Di2 hydraulic disc cross bike masterrace you unmoneyed pleb
>>
>>893076

Concussions were pretty poorly understood until pretty recently. Given modern comfier helmets and modern knowledge of how shitty traumatic brain injuries are, there's a lot less excuse for an athlete to not bother wearing one.
>>
>>894245
Nope, I have four bikes, two of which are carbon, and I have connections to get stuff heavily discounted (partly cause of working at LBS, partly cause of other connections), I could have Di2 if I wanted it. I've ridden it and it feels like shit.
>>894372
Except I have ridden Di2 and it feels like shit and I get paid more than minimum wage and I could get full Di2 for barely half of the retail price. I love cyclocross bikes and I love hydraulic disc brakes (though in some ways I prefer mechanical; I have hydraulic discs on one of my four bikes, mechanical discs on another; I love both types of brakes). I hate Di2 but it doesn't make me mad that you have different taste than me, it just makes me laugh internally at your fred-ness. I think hydraulic discs are a great option for a cross bike.
>>
>>894361
>>im poor
I'm not rich by any means but I have four great bikes and I don't care about being rich.
>>im also unfit
I guarantee I am a stronger cyclist than you.
>>
>>894450
>measuring your income against minimum wage
You're poor

It's ok, thanks for fixing my bike
>>
File: science.png (23 KB, 704x295) Image search: [Google]
science.png
23 KB, 704x295
>>894412
Typical bicycle helmets are not designed to mitigate the risk of concussions. Indeed, they have the potential to exacerbate the risk by increasing the rotational accelerating applied to the head.

Most cyclists are not athletes and not subject to a high risk of head injury in any case.
>>
File: 0250 - 3wdAK0O.jpg (17 KB, 176x171) Image search: [Google]
0250 - 3wdAK0O.jpg
17 KB, 176x171
>>893302
>obviously aluminum is for poorfags
>>
>>893302
This is what makes me hate cyclist on /n/
Shut the fuck up kid we don't want your retarded opinions
>>
File: themoreyouknow_6wz1kl5.jpg (12 KB, 344x226) Image search: [Google]
themoreyouknow_6wz1kl5.jpg
12 KB, 344x226
>>894412
fun fact: the reason that "safety" bicycles replaced penny-farthings was to prevent falling on your face that penny farthings were more susceptible to...
and now today, the main type of serious bicycle injuries is head and neck injuries from cyclists going over the handlebars and landing on their heads

if you want to minimize the risk of head injuries, you don't need a styrofoam hat. you need a different bike. :|

you should be riding a long-wheelbase recumbent bike. with most of them it is basically impossible to crash and land on your head, since the whole bicycle is built too low to flip over forward, and you crash feet-first
>>
>>894448
anyone who gives credit to mechanical discs as a valid option for anything cannot be taken seriously.
also saying you have two carbon bikes doesnt mean much, you can get a carbon bike for under 2 thousand bucks, probably pretty close to a grand if you work at a bike shop. so its not really a massive claim to financial status
>>
>>894450
>i guarantee im a stonger cyclist than you
its possible but probably not desu. the problem with an anonymous albanian rice harvesting forum is you have literally no clue who you're replying to butthurtly. i could be some C grade shitter, i could be on a pro conti team for all you know
>>
File: futurama_s03e16_15.jpg (128 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
futurama_s03e16_15.jpg
128 KB, 400x301
>>893097
>I'm not rich and I make about $200 a day
Bad news mate, you're rich. I make about $60 a day.

>>893020
Sure feels bad knowing that Anon discredits me as a cyclist...
I guess I'll never be more than just a bike rider.
>>
>>895242
no you are just too stupid to do better for yourself
>>
>>895243
That too.
>>
>>893020
>has a Brooks saddle

I thought Brooks were supposed to be really good?
>>
>>893528
Americans say an herb
>>
>>893127
>And no, I'm not "nikki", I have no idea who nikki is, I almost never post on /n/ actually.
Oh right, I believe you, you convinced me with your brilliant argument :^)
>>
>>893127
You forget to say gamer geek white chengdu chankid, nikki
>>
>>893020
But.. but. But Brooks saddles are really comfortable
>>
>>895357
Britkeks say 'an historic'.
>>
File: 665467276.png (201 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
665467276.png
201 KB, 500x281
>>893127
>I need muh nostril-dehumidifier for more comfortable bicycling, it's only 30$, are you some sort of poorfag?

I cant breathe
>>
>>895622
>running water and electricity is for plebs, you don't NEED running water and electricity, I'm a real man because I sleep in a nest of my own fermenting spoor for warmth
This is what you people sound like
Why even ride if you think it's about enduring unnecessary pain? The pain should come from pushing your muscles and cardiovascular system to their limits, not from bad fit, chafing, and injuries sustained in a crash on your brakeless fixie because being able to stop is for freds
>>
>>893457
A car
>>
>>893020
morons like you
>>
Things that discredit you as a mechanic and a cyclist.

>not using Rock N Roll lube
>not doing a CX dismount with your right hand on the frame, shouldering your bike, and running like Sonic every time you get off.

Fuck man, I'm sorry. SMOOTH AS GLASS. SMOOTH AS GLASS. SMOOTH AS GLASS.

S M O O T H
M
O
O
T
H
>>
>>893020
>no bottle cages
What if my sweet tarck bike doesn't have any mounts
>>
>>895634
I like you, please post more often.
>>
>>893451
actually kek'd
>>
>>895758
>not havng your bike shouldered before you dismount

get on my level
>>
>>893050
I bought a hybrid bike back when i weighed like 230 pounds. A road bike would have been very uncomfortable for me to ride -- not because of my back, but because of my belly. Also, I'm retarded, so fixing a bike off of craigslist would have taken a lot of mental effort, and the Giant Escape 2 was the best bike my LBS had for my budget. Since buying this bike, I have lost about 40 pounds, and I wish, at times, that I had a road bike instead, but I'm, for the most part, content with my Escape 2.
>>
>>895798
Get a road bike ASAP.
I wasted so much time riding around on mountain bikes and hybrids. You will be so much more comfortable and be able to ride so much longer on a road bike. Its not even comparable.

Strava + Road bikes is the best way to lose weight
>>
>>893054
Be less fat.
>>
>>893020
Do out also cataforise car drivers?
>>
File: pls slam my stem.jpg (84 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
pls slam my stem.jpg
84 KB, 800x600
>>895798
The Escape 2 doesn't have shocks and the geometry isn't too bad, so a pair of drop bars, Claris shifters, and some other bits and bobs will get it converted to a reasonable road bike, like pic related. I hope that owner of pic related flipped and slammed the living fuck out of that stem tho.
>>
>>895818
>converting hybrids
pls no. Just keep it as a spare bike for casual rides.
>>
>>895819
Well yeah, but I'm presuming that guy's budget is precisely jack and shit, although I guess for a few hundo he could find a really nice 80s/90s roadie if he knows what to look for.

A pure road bike is a real pleasure to ride at all times though and I agree that he should get one if he can afford to.
>>
>>895634

there's a limit though, and 99% of cyclists with all the clobber you see riding to work aren't "pushing it to the limit" day to day, and are just huge faggots trying to look hardcore
>>
>>895796

>he has to dismount

are you some kind of scrub
>>
>>895918
>I've never worn proper bike clothes because I'm an insecure faggot and I'm just going to project my insecurities all over the board
>>
>>895819
fuck u
>>
>>895818
>the geometry isn't too bad
>some other bits and bobs will get it converted to a reasonable road bike

Please, don't spew unreasonable advice just because you like to convert bikes. For the price of some road bike shifters, new cables and housings, handlebar and tape he could buy an actual road bike.

He said that fixing a bike off craigslist would have taken a lot of effort. Do you really expect him to mount new road handlebars and shifters, as well as adjusting them?

You're simply retarded.
>>
>>895918
>99% of cyclists with all the clobber you see riding to work aren't "pushing it to the limit"
>just huge faggots trying to look hardcore

God forbid someone wants to have a comfortable commute to work. They might even enjoy it, and fun is forbidden. A real cyclist never has fun on a bike, as we all know.

I pity you, insecure little turd.
>>
>>894536
>since the whole bicycle is built too low to flip over forward, and you crash feet-first
That's wrong. The speeding truck who didn't see your low dildo-cycle will ram you from behind, so it'll be hitting you head-first.
>>
>>896577
But bike clothes aren't more comfortable. Here is a stack exchange article proving you're wrong

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/35039/can-different-size-feet-be-a-cause-of-knee-pain
>>
>>896623
Go troll elsewhere, you mumbling retard.
>>
>>893020
That saddle is so far forward that he's probably gonna snap those rails some day and impale his gooch on shards of carbon seat post.

He's built like a fridge though, so ridding behind home would be nice and easy.
>>
>>893050
Road bikes are twice the price m8
>inb4 second hand
People get hybrids as their first bike they don't know how to fix up a used road bike.
>>
>>898548
Well specd hybrids exist m8. I'm not into them but there was some guy who posted a nice hybrid a few weeks ago and /n/ went bananas and said all kinds of harsh things.
>>
>>894372
Njs-san here.
I'll still whoop on u .
>>
>>893020

i bet youre the kind of faggot that thinks driving a manual makes you more of a man aswell

its just a fucking bike mate, ease up
>>
File: lol.jpg (20 KB, 155x202) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
20 KB, 155x202
>>900655
>americans
>>
>>900669
>AM I A REAL CYCLIST?
sure but are you in

L O N D O N

>tfwn chubby steel is real bf
>>
>>900669
yes
>>
>>893020
I use di2 and I'm pretty fucking sure that I'm better cyclist than you
>>
>>900898
You've probably never even done a 200k, Fred.
>being this butthurt
>>
>>900899
>Abusing SI prefixes
Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
>>893020
>Uses Di2
I have Der-Ace 7700 groupset, does that earn me fred points? Wouldn't bother me desu senpaitachi as it's like shifting a delicious sandwich of clouds and marshmallow fluff.

Literally comfy-tier mechanical engineering.

>Doesn't carry multitool
Guilty of this, been meaning to get one that has a nice long handle so i can actually get some force through it; Any recommendations?

I do have a proper torque wrench and make sure everything is done up properly when I do maintenance, so I've never needed a tool out on the road since then.

>Dry Lube
I agree, it's shite-tier. Experimented with it lately by impregnating my spare chain with paraffin and i'd never bother to do it again, it'd be excellent for someone that does a lot of wet riding though, but it provides no other benefits than decent waterproofing at a just noticeable cost to performance.

On an unrelated note, Does anyone know where to get decent spokes in Kangarooland? Packs instead of singles plz.
>>
>>893130
Cheap lights? Step up little nigga
>>
>>900899
All of my kek

So you are the guy who lives in the US and is happy to acomplish a 200k ride with just 500meters of elevation.

>fucking faggot

At least you should post a picture of yourself showing what you look like
>>
>>900940
>I have Der-Ace 7700 groupset, does that earn me fred points?
nah, DA7700 is almost retrogrouch at this point
>>
>>900974
>Trying to bait people on /n/

Come on fella, don't be that guy...
>>
>>900925
Nice meme.
>>900940
>fred points?
no
>Guilty of this, been meaning to get one that has a nice long handle so i can actually get some force through it; Any recommendations?
No recommendation for that specifically but for a multitool, Crank Bros M17 or M19. It will make due in emergencies, you can always step on it to put more force into it. If you have a bolt-on wheel you would also want to bring a short adjustable wrench, but for anything else, a long handle/a lot of force isn't really necessary for emergency trailside/roadside repairs imo.
>it'd be excellent for someone that does a lot of wet riding though
Wet lube is better than dry lube for wet conditions because it lasts longer and won't wash off as easily. Not sure how wax stacks up to wet and dry lube.
>>893130
You should have two lights, one white front and one red rear.
>>900974
I said that you've never done a 200k, not than 200k is a long ride for me, faggot. 200k is easy.
>>
>>893020
>ITT: Things that make you automatically discredit someone as a cyclist.
Posts 'things that make you automatically discredit someone as a cyclist' threads on /n/

Please kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>901329
>being this much of a butthurt fred
>>
>>901329
>>901333
God. For as much as there is to be learned here (just go ask Sheldon), and as non-teenager as you all like to present your anonymous selves: this board and the cyclists within act amateur as fuck.

Citation: this thread

Fuckin complainers.
>>
>>901337
are you the dude in opie's pic

you are, aren't you

what's being fat like?
>>
>>901284
>Calling the SI a meme
>Abusing SI prefixes
Please re-read the SI Brochure.
>>
>>893186
>Dura-ace Di2 here
Ya think? Only until like 6 months ago was their anything other than Dura-ace Di2 you fucking moron. What, did you think people were riding sora Di2s?
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 2000x2000
>>896623
>being more sincerely retarded than the retarded thread you're posting within...

I'd almost be jelly of this unique experience if it weren't so... Dumb...
>>
File: laffing witch.jpg (240 KB, 1656x1009) Image search: [Google]
laffing witch.jpg
240 KB, 1656x1009
>>902233
>2011 was six months ago
>>
>>893020
Brooks B17 is the standard saddle. If you use anything else you better be either a competitive racer or a poorfag.
>>
>>902360
the B17 is OK but the Swallow is my favorite. so fucking sleek and classy and comfy.
>>
>>902360
>Brooks
Shit tier. The only acceptable reason to use Brooks is if you buy a used bike that happens to already have one.
>>901368
>memeing this hard
>>
>>902649
>shitposting this badly
>>
>>902691
>implying I was shitposting
>>
>>893020
I wouldn't want to be called a cyclist, I have no pretensions that I automatically have the right to take my bike anywhere and riding it anywhere just because it is a bike. I have nothing against cars and drivers, I even own a car, and I drive it on occasion.

I don't think being on a bike gives me some right to be on the sidewalk riding it at 12-15mph yelling at people to get out of the way. I don't think it gives me the right to go the wrong way down a one way street, or go on the left side of the road in the US, or to run a red light.

So no, I'm not a cyclist, you can keep your cycling groups and argue for those things, but I will not be part of it. I am on the bike for 20 minutes a day on weekdays, using it does not make me a "cyclist".

Oh and next time you cut me off when I'm in my car and you give me the finger, my car weighs 3200 lbs and your cheap fixie and you are less than 200, do the math asshole. You come at me in my bike lane acting like you have the right to be on th left side of the road and I will take my U lock to your face.

You may be a cyclist, but don't think it automatically means you can be a dick to everyone else.

I'm going to buy a telescoping baton for the next time you ride at me on the sidewalk, you dick.

If you "cyclists" want people to treat you well, maybe stop being such a dick.

/end rant
>>
>>902757
I wouldn't want to be called a cager, I have no pretensions that I automatically have the right to drive my cage anywhere and park it anywhere just because it is a cage. I have nothing against bikes and cyclists, I even own a bike, and I ride it on occasion.

I don't think being in a cage gives me some right to be in a school zone going 20 miles over the limit flashing my lights for people to get out of the way. I don't think it gives me the right to cut off cyclists, or park in the bike lane, or to fail to yield to pedestrians using the crosswalk while honking and raging at them for walking too slow for my taste.

So no, I'm not a cager, you can keep your motorist groups and argue for those things, but I will not be part of it. I am in a cage for 2 hours a week on weekends, using it does not make me a "cager".

Oh and next time you filter past me when I'm stopped in gridlock and I look up from my phone, remember that my cage is over 6 feet wide and your touring bike even with panniers can still glide through a half a block of backed up traffic, do the math asshole. You weave past that stopped garbage truck acting like you have the right to get to work before me and I'll fidget with the "lock" switch on my door and scream internally.

You may be a cager, but don't think it automatically means you can be a dick to everyone else.

I'm going to buy GoPro for the next time you try to run over me with your cage and get away with it, you dick.

If you "cagers" want people to treat you well, maybe stop being such a dick.

/end rant
>>
>>902765
Lol I have a Go Pro on my helmet 90% of what it catches are you cyclists running red lights, intentionally passing me on the red lights because for fucks sake you can't just stay behind me as I wait for the green, then you block me from passing you, so I miss the next green which you don't give 2 fucks about since you are just going to run the light anyway.

I have clips of you guys biking directly towards me on the left side of the road.

The other 10% is dumb drivers making wide right turns for no real reason, and some drivers running red lights, because well I guess they learned to ride a bike before they learned to drive.

God and then I have to be in the bike car with you people as I wait to get to the other station.
>>
>>902766
https://youtu.be/JGIurfejIXc

You guys just can't wait for the green. Too fucking impatient.
>>
File: JustDon'tLook.jpg (227 KB, 600x461) Image search: [Google]
JustDon'tLook.jpg
227 KB, 600x461
>>902715
>he really is this fucking stupid
>>
>>893020
People who wear helmets ride on the sidewalk.
If you ride in the road, don't wear a helmet.

I'll continue wearing a helmet and riding on the sidewalk, myself.
>>
>be me on a fixie
>no traffic so i pass this fred in lycra at a red
>he gets and and goes as fast as he can to pass me
>he stops at the next red
>again no traffic
>so he forces me to pass him again
>he keeps doing this retarded thing where he keeps stopping at reds so i have to pass him passing me when the light is green then stopping at the reds again
Get lost you fucking loser
>>
>>902806
>going on reds
get hit, cager-on-a-bike
>>
>>893020
I ride on the sidewalk all the time, incredibly safer where I am
>>
>>902850
Yeah, you're too good for the bike lane, besides you saw a UPS truck on it once a few months back, I get it you're a cyclist, let me guess you also yell at all the pedestrians to get out of your way, how dare they walk on the sidewalk, some of them with their dogs, for fucks sake, can't they see you're coming. Yeah, I get it you're a cyclist, you own the sidewalk, blah blah blah.
>>
>>902806
Typical cyclist.
>>
>>902850
Where did you learn that your area is a traffic statistics anomaly?
>>
>>893292
This
>>
>>893367
I bet This faggot doesnt even go dirt jumping.
I know a decent amount of people who only have a bmx, dirt jumper, or downhill bike that have insane amounts of technical skill. But it is nice to have a road bike for hill climbing, gotta get that cardio
>>
>>894372
Real cross riders use rim brakes faggot
>>
>>893020
I ride a aluminum Mountain bike for commuting and for recreation almost every day, i ride on the sidewalk when the street is too busy, don't carry a repair kit, wear casual clothes, and i don't even take my mountain bike off road.

Some people don't need to feel superior to everyone else when they ride, they just want to have fun. It's not hurting anyone you walnut.
>>
>>902757
I agreed with you up until about halfway there freindo, then i realized you were just an angry cager, Literally who cares if someone on a bike cuts you off, you're freaking out over the such a small thing, not that i would do anything like that. But i guess the rumor that all cagers are aggressive assholes is true.
>>
>>902865
Not that guy, but i live in a smaller town so i see maybe 10 people on my 30 minute commute to work on the sidewalk, if traffic isn't busy, ill ride on the road, if it is i can always go on the sidewalk. And on the off chance that i do see someone, i can always go around them, or go back on the road. Why do you thing everyone who rides a bike is an asshole?
>>
>>893509
Good idea but poor execution. without the mom's saddle i'd give it 6/10
>>
people that post on /n/
>>
>>903457
>i don't even take my mountain bike off road.
>i ride on the sidewalk
fuckin liar, keep your story straight mate.
>>
File: 1365450237292.png (14 KB, 178x178) Image search: [Google]
1365450237292.png
14 KB, 178x178
>>893020
That guy couldve started out as a 300 pound obese man and is now is the best shape of his life. He went out and bought a high end money for something he loves and instead of getting praise, people make fun of him. Please stope bully
>>
>>893076
>internalised cagerism,

This tbqh

Helmitt don't prevent spinal injury out face fracture

Helmitt designed to crack on minor impact
>>
>>903464
No, people that call themselves "cyclists" are assholes. If you're riding on a bike, you just happen to be someone riding a bike, if you're calling yourself a "cyclist", you're obviously adopting some victim mentality and using to justify acting like an asshole.
>>
>>893042
It's the helmet that does it desu senpai
>>
>>904961
>If you're riding on a bike, you just happen to be someone riding a bike
aka a cyclist

We need to disconnect the state of colorado from the internet so it can be spared from your retardation in the future
>>
File: remedy.jpg (27 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
remedy.jpg
27 KB, 440x440
>>904804
>Helmitt don't prevent spinal injury out face fracture
>>
>>903457
>you walnut
>>
>>893061
Gross, I dont want to slow down for some hike-a-biking faggot.
>>
>>893067
I guess you could argue that people who are involved in the cycling industry and people who make money through cycling are cyclists. But no one here probably does either of those things
>>
>>893121
You don't do much mountain biking, do you?
>>
>>893134
Hit a drop bigger than 6 feet and get back to me when you get out of the hospital
>>
>>905927
I don't believe the Remedy is certified to a standard which specifies face protection. It certainly isn't certified to any standard relating to spinal protection.
>>
>>905996
It prevents facial damage with the mouth guard, fucktard. If you want spinal protection then fucking obviously you'll also need a neck brace and back protector.
>>905986
Not him but I did a 40 footer and crashed it and didn't go to the hospital.
>>
File: 1428384898238.png (6 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
1428384898238.png
6 KB, 478x373
>>904804

a bike helmet is better than nothing

wear a full face motorbike helmet and a spine protector if you are so concerned about head and spinal injuries

>X only provides partial protection
>therefore wearing no protection is better
>>
>>905997
>It prevents facial damage with the mouth guard
It is not certified to demonstrate such protection.

>>905998
What protection are you wearing right now?
>>
>>906002
>It is not certified to demonstrate such protection.
>something won't work because it doesn't have a sticker on it saying it will work
Are you fucking retarded?
>>906002
>What protection are you wearing right now?
He told you what you can wear, fucktard. What he is or is not wearing means fuck nothing. An fucking hero. I've been on /n/ for years, I browse every day, and you are literally the most incompetent person I have ever encountered on /n/. Fuck off.
>>
>>906002

I just wear a basic bike helmet and normal clothes for commuting desu

my point is that just because PPE can't protect you totally all the time doesn't make it bad idea

Just because full racing gear can't save a isle of man TT rider who headbutts a stone wall at 140mph doesn't mean it can't let you walk away from slower crash or turn a fatal crash into a survivable one

not wearing head protection because it can't protect you from every accident would be like a policeman throwing away his pistol proof ballistic vest because it doesn't stop rifle rounds
>>
>>906005
>All that glisters is gold
>Are you fucking retarded?
Are you? If the Remedy provides a worthwhile amount of facial protection, why would the manufacturers neglect to have it certified?

>>906012
>Avoiding the question
What protection are you wearing right now?
>>
>>906018
>coming from someone who doesn't even know what certifications the Remedy holds
The mountain bike version holds the standard certifications posessed by full face mountain bike helmets. The ski version holds the standard certifications posessed by ski helmets. There is no need for them to hold any other certifications. Get fucked.
>>
>>906018

literally none because I'm funposting on a mongolian fly fishing forum

I'm sure you have a stunning rhetorical device prepared based on this self-evident answer
>>
>>906019
Why are you arguing about the Remedy (MTB version of course, no need to confuse the issue by dragging snow helmets into this) if you don't even know what certifications it holds, by your own admission?

>>906021
>I'm sure you have a stunning rhetorical device prepared based on this self-evident answer
Blast, foiled! I only have a passable rhetorical device prepared, it goes like this:
>a bike helmet is better than nothing
Why aren't you wearing one now? It's better than nothing. You could fall off your chair at any moment?
>>
>>906024
>Why aren't you wearing one now? It's better than nothing. You could fall off your chair at any moment?

I suppose it comes down to common sense and acceptable risk

avoiding flying on aeroplanes in case they crash is silly because of the extremely long odds but wearing appropriate protective gear or seatbelts isn't silly because motor accidents are one of the leading causes of death

you also have to consider gear appropriate to what you are doing:

wearing only a cycling helmet when hooning on a superbike is stupid but so is wearing a flame retardant race suit when mountain biking
>>
File: image_0.jpg (43 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
43 KB, 500x294
>>has a Brooks saddle
Why? 1/10 made me post.
>>
>>893020
I ride a hybrid with a powermeter. How 'bout that?
>>
>>905997
Yeah but having experience (and a full face helmet) can help avoid a decent amount of injuries. Most of the reason people get hurt is because they dont know how to fall.
>>
>>905997
If you were on a bmx you would be dead. Suspension saves lives.
>>
>>906087
I was on neither, I was on skis. lol
>>
>>893020
this is some stupid fucking shit.
Do they enjoy riding bikes? yes? then they're fucking cyclists.
>>
>excessively low tire pressure
>cross chaining
>lack of knowledge on their own bike
>misaligned handlebars/brake hoods
>running reds
>passing on the right (North America)
>gear mashing
>fixed without foot retention
>lock slung over handlebars/stem
>offensively tilted saddle nose
>>
>>906425
>being literally this asspained
>>
>>907475
>>running reds
That is pretty much what anyone that calls themselves a cyclists does. The groups they form even try to lobby that bikes should be able to run red lights.

Come on. Do you not know what that label is used for?
>>
>riding shirtless
>>
>>906417
Landing on hardpack or ice is a little bit different than landing on pavement or concrete
>>
>>908408
Doesn't happen in Australia unless it's the middle of the night and the lights can't be pressure activated by bicycles. Seems to happen a lot in New York.
>>
>only riding on the weekend on an expensive carbon frame in full lycra kit
>not commuting to work on a bike
>only having one bike
>>
>>907475
>gear mashing

why not
>>
Steel is real, leather forever. Deal with it plasticfag.
>>
Cross chaining is legit in many situations. In fact, it's only autism which would argue against cross-chaining, considering that 1x10/11 gearing is commonplace now.
>>
>>908623
>Cross chaining is legit in many situations. In fact, it's only autism which would argue against cross-chaining, considering that 1x10/11 gearing is commonplace now.
so then,,, how do you cross-chain on a bike that has only one chainring?
>>
>>908623
>be SRAM
>can't figure out front shifting
>create the 1x meme
>chains still drop
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.