[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anybody installed one of these (or similar) and is it worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
File: thudbuster.jpg (14 KB, 430x430) Image search: [Google]
thudbuster.jpg
14 KB, 430x430
Has anybody installed one of these (or similar) and is it worth the cash?

I've got a hardtail bike that I ride everywhere and going along rough ground leaves me with rectal damage after a while
>>
What the fuck is a thudbuster?
>>
>>892988
Suspension seat post
>>
>>892988
Suspension seat post
>>
>>892990
>>892993
Nice double post :^)

OP, they are stupid, get a different saddle instead. And NOT a cushy one and NOT a Brooks, both are meme saddles that seem comfortable at first but will get you sore after a while and they are fucking shit. Go to a LBS and get fitted to a saddle that is right for your ass and then make sure it is at the correct height, angle, and forward-backward position. You can even pay money to have a bike fitting if you want but it's like $100 I think so not cheap
>>
>>892988
Suspension seat post
>>
Get larger tyres and run them at lower pressures, works the same and costs a shit load less. Or you could just learn to lift your arse up off the saddle.
>>
>>892983
LBS rat here, we sell quite a bit online. People who use them say it's a night and day difference, though only if you're using the LT (long travel) seatpost. ST is supposed to be noticeable but nothing stellar. I've never personally used them, so I can't say if the claims are true. I will say again, those that buy the LT love it.
>>
They will just make pedalling inefficient and make you go half as fast with twice the effort and make you look like a gigantic retard.
>>
File: 81BAztu1CXL._SX522_.jpg (25 KB, 522x433) Image search: [Google]
81BAztu1CXL._SX522_.jpg
25 KB, 522x433
>I've got a hardtail bike that I ride everywhere and going along rough ground leaves me with rectal damage after a while

Buy a velo elastomer saddle. It's for sale on amazon and other places, just google 'velo elastomer saddle.'

Very comfy saddle. Perfect for hard tail mtb, and not too heavy. I've had mine for almost 6 years.
>>
I use the long travel version on my 55kph ebike. It's excellent. It's a hard tail bike and I do a lot of off-road too, so, I just wanted it to be more comfortable and controlled and it is.

This post adds control for my application. I use a 3" rear tire at low pressure and so it bounces around a lot on rougher trails, but with the thudbuster, I can stay seated more, which in turn keeps the back wheel down harder.

Comfort, and control. However, for downhilling, as the minimum seat height is really tall, you can't lower it out of the way or anything. (I ride with the post slammed almost always... though optimum pedalling height for me is only an extra 2-3cm. I don't feel any movement or loss of power during even super high cadence pedalling (150+).

The ebike is a unique situation though. For my main pedal only mountain bike, I ride rediculously rough terrain, and I wouldn't use the thudbuster on it. I do a lot of downhill though, and the seat needs to be out of the way.

Really. If you do much climbing and descending off-road, then just save up for a dropper post and better/bigger tires. Run lower pressures, and a steel frame can help absorb more shock as well vs aluminum.

As >>893012 is also saying try those things first...and do get your ass up on the bumps. Don't even need to lift off of it completely all the time, just support yourself more from the legs. Get a good saddle.

If you want to be serious about off-road biking, get a dropper post. If you want to ride casually with added comfort staying seated on bumps, get a thudbuster.
>>
>>893018
>>893040
Super thank you

>>893012
>lift your arse up off the saddle
Inefficient after many miles
>>
>>892998
>brooks is shit meme
Ok,gramps
>>
>>892983
We have the long version for the stoker on a tandem because you can't prepare for impact if you don't see the street. Works extremely well and is worth the price.

Much better than the cheap ones (see pic) because the suspension goes into the right direction (to the back).
>>
>>892983
>I've got a hardtail bike that I ride everywhere and going along rough ground leaves me with rectal damage after a while
Ever tried lifting yourself up?
>>
>>892983
you have magical built-in shock absorbers called "legs"

unless you're martyn ashton, sorry bruv
>>
>>892998
>meme saddle
>Brooks seem comfy at first
>a LBS, not an LBS

Yeah, you're a fucking idiot, opinion discarded.
>>
>>893553
>an pounds
>>
File: is this bait.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
is this bait.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>893556
>>
>>893557
Do you pronounce "pounds" as "el bee ess"?

>be you
>need 30lbs of bananas
>go to farmers market
>walk up to mexican dude at stall
>hey mi amigo
>can i have thirty el bee ess of bananas
>>
>>893561
No, but I pronounce BTU as "b'too".
>>
>>893561
#
>>
>>893557
>>893561
>>893553

You're both wrong. It depends on the pronunciation that you would use in spoken language.

A LBS (local bike shop)
An LBS (el bee ess)

Either one is correct, though you may be forcing the reader into a pronunciation they don't normally use.
>>
File: DSCN6942.jpg (51 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6942.jpg
51 KB, 800x600
I just bought a used hardtail and it came with a cannondale save carbon seatpost that is very nice. It is made to be more flexy, you can see the indents in the photo, and take a bit of sting out of those smaller bumps without adding a bunch of weight like a thudbuster would. Cost the same amount as a thudbuster. Obviously on bigger bumps you still need to get out of the saddle but you should be doing that anyway even on full suspension bike.
>>
>>893585
m80 someone overclamped your carbon post
its going to explode any day now
>>
File: 4958667488_dbecaba8d6.jpg (105 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
4958667488_dbecaba8d6.jpg
105 KB, 500x334
Brooks Flyer
100ish shipped.
Sometimes a bit too bouncy but still comfy af
>>
>>893572
Let me guess, lastt ime you went to an "el bee ess" you asked the saleperson about "em tee bees"
>>
>>893654
No, I asked if they had "see ecks" bikes.
>>
>>893654
>I want a new bike
>I think I'll go to the el bee ess
>Hi, I'm looking for a ef ess em tee bee
>Can you explain the difference between a ecks see, a dee aych and a dee jay
>>
>>892988
Suspension seat post
>>
>suspension seatpost
You need a helmet mirror, ill fitting Primal jersey, and some reflectors to go with that sir?
>>
>>892988
suspension seat post
>>
>>893572
>>893556
get rekt fags
http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2012/04/using-a-or-an-with-acronyms-and-abbreviations.html
>>
>>893762
>actually saying acronyms
>>893657
>rekt
>>
>>893764
LBS is an initialism (individual letters are pronounced), if it was an acronym then it'd be pronounced something like "libs" or "lubs". Examples of acronyms are LASER and SHEILD.
>>
File: 1354075181254.jpg (9 KB, 222x218) Image search: [Google]
1354075181254.jpg
9 KB, 222x218
>>893764
>Implying pronouncing those acronyms is in any way abnormal
Am I being baited?
>>
File: flanders nothin at all.gif (56 KB, 179x140) Image search: [Google]
flanders nothin at all.gif
56 KB, 179x140
>>893038
luscious
>>
>>893653
>dat post setback

holy fuck. I searched for a post with the most setback online a few years back and ended up getting the VO Grand Cru (which is great, btw.) the one in your pic is like double that, though. wtf is it?
>>
>>893897
nitto
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.