[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bbg/ - Buy Bike General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48
File: bbg.jpg (309 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
bbg.jpg
309 KB, 900x675
Last thread was weighing /n/ down
>>
>>890681
>hand in pocket
Never mind Ill buy a road bike online
Thanks for the advice fre- I mean John =^)
>>
>>890733

you don't play pocket pool when you're talking to other people?
>>
Bought a Trek ProGram 1200 today for $100. Whoever had it before me stripped it down to single gear, but it came with some nice wheels. First bike that I've owned in a while.
>>
File: future mechanic.jpg (175 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
future mechanic.jpg
175 KB, 900x675
Looking for help with my first bike build. Mainly looking for adivce as to what components are good, which I should switch out for better, or cheaper stuff, and basic advice. Budget is right around 1500 us dollars. Goals for the bike are unsupported touring, commuting, cyclocross type shenanigans, etc.

Parts list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1se_hRtLD4Vi39jHo4Eaeekuep4yqs7p48def_v4SjQE/edit?usp=sharing

>lel anons first bike
>touring bike because reasons
>(thank you based anon for pointing me to right thread)
>>
>>890791
>2x shifters
>3x crank
>sti
>mtb front
>10 speed cassette
>11 speed shifters
>just hubs
>no rims no spokes to rim tape no tubes no tires
>bb7s instead of spyres
>surly

What are you even doing.
>>
>>890791
You should go 9 or 10 speed. 11 speed triples are basically nonexistant, and it's all round impractical for touring. Those STI shifters will not shift a triple.

Friction front shifting (downtube or bar ends) is much easier with a triple (you don't require matched rings), but you can make STI work, you'll just need triple specific STIs. 10 speed is your best option for STIs. 4703 tiagra shifters (the 03 at the end designates it is for a triple) are good quality, and available. With 10 speed it is not advisable to use an older gen Sugino crank. You'll want a 10 speed crank, such as a Deore-XT which you can get in the same ratios and for cheaper.

If you went 9 speed (or 8, or 7), mtb and road would share the same cable pull, so they're interchangeable, but 10 speed mtb only works with 10 speed mtb. You need a long cage mtb derailer to handle a wide triple and a wide cassette, but you can use a 9 speed mtb derailer (deore-xt) fine with 10 speed road shifters.

If you aren't building it specifically to tour on, maybe consider a complete 5800 or 6800 group with a compact double, long cage 6800 rear derailer & a 11-32 or 11-34 cassette.
>>
>>890791
I mostly agree with >>890805
but I would recommend the tiagra integrated shifter with an 8 speed set up. Parts for 8 are noticeably cheaper than for a 9 or 10 speed, and in my opinion, easier to work on. Other than that, I fully agree with him.
>>
>>890803
>6800 group
was planning on rolling on the hubs m8
>>
>>890805
So to save myself the headache of putting all kinds of funky parts from different groupsets together and hoping they fit (which im apparently pretty terrible at) im probably just going to go with your advice and buy the ultegra groupset. But, will it run fine on the bb7 brakes? Im guessing i can just sell the brakes that come with the groupset. also, the gearing should be fine with 11-32t, I live in florida so no hills, and am fairly in shape. Thanks for your advice anon.
>>
>>890823
>But, will it run fine on the bb7 brakes

Mechanical disks, right? Shouldn't be a problem. One of my bikes has 105 shifters with mechs. There are non-series 11 speed shifters for hydros.

>the gearing should be fine with 11-32t, I live in florida so no hills

If you don't ride hills why not get 11-25 or something?
>>
>>890823
Don't get bb7s, if you're hung up on mechanical disks at least get spyres or hy/rds.
>>
>>890829

reason for wider gear range is that I plan on touring with the bike. The east coast has a decent mntn range.

>>890832

I am hung up on having mechanical disk breaks because
>stop even when wet
>dont kill rims
>stopping powah
>all the other reasons disc is better than clincher, v-breaks, inserting stick into moving front wheel
>>
>>890835
none of that really explains why you want the bb7s other than not knowing any other options besides bb7s though
>>
>>890836
actually just checked out the spyres and they look kinda purdy if ya know what I mean. One of the things that freaked me out about the bb7s was how they only press from one side, while the other pad is stationary, I've seen this on department store bikes, and its not confidence inspiring. The spyres should actuate both pads if I read the info on them right.
>>
>>890837
Yeah they were great for their time but it's time to move on.
>>
>>890805
>You should go 9 or 10 speed
>4700
ST-4703 needs an RD-4700-GS or a road 11 speed rear. You could also franken a 4700 front with a 5800 rear.

>With 10 speed it is not advisable to use an older gen Sugino crank. You'll want a 10 speed crank, such as a Deore-XT which you can get in the same ratios and for cheaper.
Q-factor. If you want a 26 low, a 26 will shift acceptably with a 39 middle and let you use a matched front derailer that works with the STI. You would just need a chain drop guard that works with the small ring.

>>890821
>those gear inches
>that bottle bracket clearance

>>890823
BB7s are shit ever since spyres and hy/rds hit production, and if you did get BB7s you would need to make sure you got the ones for road cable pull.

>>890829
Have you considered he is just incredibly fat and perhaps wants to use the slowest rolling marathon tires, and an overpass would require a 26x32 low gear?
>>
>>890823
What part of Florida?
>>
File: IMG_0504.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Hi /n/. I know this isn't a "sell" thread, but I need to get rid of my old bike and if you could offer some advice I'd be grateful.

It's an old alu hybrid from 2003, entry level from an LBS so hopefully not a BSO, but close.

3x7 SIS with grip shifters, and I'm including basic lights, a pump and bike computer. It was given a full service ($90) earlier this year when I bought my new bike.

However, in its 12 year life the tyres have never been changed. While it has always (with brief exception) been stored inside, when riding it to the shops recently I noticed some slippage when taking a corner. And one of the grips is a bit torn.

So TLDR should I bother putting new tyres and grips on it, or sell "as is"? Don't particularly expect to recoup the cost of the repair, but that would be nice.
>>
>>890847
down south, way south
>>
I don't know why I'm asking you guys, but what is /bbg/'s thoughts on foldable bikes under $200?

Or even a cheap <$300 Schwinn folding bike?

I'm just looking for something I can ride around the city a bit. Under 5 miles per day, once or twice a week.
>>
>>890850
Horrible.

You can pick up a used dahon on craigslist for $300 or less. Just get one of those.
>>
>>890848
Looks decent. It has a rigid fork and appears in great condition. I think $75- $150 for this is fair, depending on your market. Just say it had a full service this year, but don't mention the cost (that will scare people away). Don't sell 'as is', that is sort of implicit with a entry level 10+ yo bike, and it also scares people away. Cheap tires, and cheap old tires suck and need replacing, but that isn't your problem. Don't mention it until after money changes hands.

That RD though, man that looks crap. Riveted chainrings, that adjustastem, that stupid post. No one looking at this is gonna give a fuck about these things.

Just avoid- like i haven't- saying too much. Come across friendly in your add and post good pictures.
>>
>>890823
I recently built my Kona Rove Steel with full Ultegra 6800 and BB7's working great with 34/50 and 11-28 in a pretty flat area. I also used a Cane creek 40 headset and Stem/Handlebar/Seatpost are all picked to your fit/preference.

Currently using 28mm tires and feels pretty good on road, but I am going to try 38mm soon.

I think if your budget is $1500~ you should go with 105 5800 since that is $380~ for the groupset, but I am usually fall under my budgets for potential unknown variables.

I also have a Nashbar alum cyclocross frame with a Nashbar mechanical disc brake set that stops almost as well if not the same as the BB7's on the Kona as long as it is adjusted well.

Nashbar had the mechanical disc brake set on sale totaling $60~ for both calipers and 2 160mm rotors with tension adjusters on the calipers. Not bad at all for the same price as 1 BB7.

FL as well
>>
File: Image 526 526.png (198 KB, 1289x534) Image search: [Google]
Image 526 526.png
198 KB, 1289x534
i guess this is a good thread to ask this in

anyone know anything about exercise bikes?

i looked into a "bike trainer" but alot of them are noisy as fuck and or they ruin your tires

and i dont wanna be swapping tires for winter

canada btw

theres another bike called the horizon M4 for the exact same price but its on back order

wat do?
>>
>>890855
Just looked at your spreadsheet:

Get the FSA Omega stem instead of the Origin8 in my opinion, might even save $3 for more than likely better hardware.

FSA Omega road bars are nice too, 31.8mm diameter to match the stem with and they are the right size for your STI shifters.

Get an FSA headset or Cane creek headset for that price too; I believe you are looking for 40mm headset diameter too but you should confirm with whatever frame before buying. (I think Carbon/tapered headtubes are the only difference but could be mistaken; if tapered headtube you want a tapered headset).
>>
>buy bike from sportchek
>5 months of use
>gears are sticking
>breaks make sqealing sound sometimes
JUST
>>
>>890864
>abuse bike for 5 months
>dont do a single ounce of maintenance
>complain about it
>>
>>890855
Can anyone say anything as to the reliability of 105 vs ultegra? Weight is a non issue, im going to be carrying oodles of gear anyway, and shifting smoothness is negligible, so long as it switches gears without exploding or catching fire thats fine by me, but are they both reliable? Can i go and thrash on a 105 groupo in mud, gravel, and other crazy nasty terrain?
>>
>>890862
Also you are missing:
Seatpost
Saddle
Pedals
Tubes
Tires
Water bottle cages
Bar tape
Spokes (since it looks like you are building your own)
Seatpost collar (if the frame does not include one)
Stem/headset spacers (so you can space your stem until you are ready to SLAM THAT STEM)
Inline cable adjusters if frame does not have barrel adjusters
Lights (assuming you will ride at night)

Not sure if this is to be included with $1500 budget but it would be wise to have a touring patch kit, some way to inflate your tires on the road, and possibly some gloves. I bought the below gloves for $5.49 I believe, definitely feels better than without for long rides.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_172750_-1___
>>
>>890865
>oiled it regularly
>pumped tires regularly
it was only $200 i dont expect the crank to survive another year

its always the first to go
>>
>>890862
Definitely need to do some refining, which is why I posted that initial gear list, thanks for the gear advice, will look into that stuff
>>
>>890857
The huge flywheels make them feel a lot more natural. They're also usually fixed gear, so you really want foot retention. Buy the one with as much adjustability to get as close to actual bike fit as possible, and get one with magnetic resistance.

They also now sell direct drive trainers if you don't mind putting wear on your drivetrain.
>>
>>890855

>>890866
I also have a full 105 groupset on a carbon road frame, I barely can tell a difference between that and my Kona with the Ultegra (5800 and 6800).

I also have a Tiagra triple and that works very well too, I cannot compare to 105/Ultegra because I mixed brakes and crank but no issues shifting with any of the 3 groupsets.

The most important things of picking the groupset in my opinion are the crank arm length, crank size, and rear derailleur (short/medium cage). Cassette is very easily replaced/upgraded if needed and 12-25 would be nicer for FL. 12-25 on a 105 groupset should feel better than 11-32 on Ultegra because the less jump between gears results in smoother shifting.

Tune the bike correctly and even entry level will work fine for touring. Also my understanding is the main difference between 105 and Ultegra is weight. It definitely does not feel that much lighter but I am not a "muh grams" biker so I have not weighed any of them.
>>
>>890864
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhgzTt1sumg

You can do this yourself, at least.
>>
>>890868
What did you oil regularly? With oil or lube?
>>
>>890877
WD-40 type stuff
>>
>>890872
>cant feel the difference between 5800 and 6800
The difference is one feels like exploding carbon and the other feels like freezing cold or searing hot aluminum.
>>
>>890868
>not rolling around on flat tires for 5 months
>>
>>890878
If it was WD-40; that is not meant for lubing as much as it is meant for penetration, you want chain lube for chains and grease for bearings.

WD-40/PB-Blaster/etc are better used to loosen rusted bolts/connections and remove rust in general. Just like Heinz ketchup they have many different types of WD-40, but the standard can is penetrating oil and is not good for lubing your bike.
>>
>>890880
>rolling around on flat tires for 5 months
>overinflating after cause no pump gauge
>>
>>890881
interesting

i will look into it breh
>>
>>890883
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/chain-care.html

Yeah, you dun fucking goofed bruh.
>>
>>890883
Look for high speed bearing grease (Park tool for overpriced, Lucas has some decent grease, there are plenty others too).

White Lightning Epic Ride chain lube has worked for me, you do not have to get that specific type but just use a different lube for the chain than the one for the bearings.

It would be really good maintenance to remove your wheels and remove the cone nut on the axle to reveal the bearings. Clean those bearings with rubbing alcohol or a degreaser and apply plenty of new grease into those areas. That will make your wheels roll like brand new assuming the manufacturer did not put adequate grease in the wheel (higher quality wheelsets have sealed bearings like skateboard bearings and you do not do this for those).

If you feel so inclined, the headset would be nice to check and regrease too since those is probably ball bearings given the price of the bike.

I work on older bikes usually and do this to most/all if time allows. You would be amazed how that little amount of maintenance makes your bike ride that much better.

The bottom bracket could probably use some grease too.
>>
>>890887
is that philwood stuff any good?
>>
I'm looking for a used bike, and considering road bikes and hybrids. The road bike I had was perfectly adequate in terms of comfort (bone rattling, riding position, etc..), but I could use a frame with room for fenders and cargo. Intended to be used for regular commuting (10 mile round trip), errands and occasional longer rides.

Quick finds on the local second hand boards: (prices are high, but this is not America. A new bike would be several times worse)
$400 - Bianchi Milano (7-speed, 1997 model claimed to have been built in Italy).
$375 - Specialized Sirrus
$475 - Kona Dew Plus (Apparently contains some deore)
$300 - Motobecanne (unnamed 80's frame, claimed to be "double speed" but a rear derailer is visible in the pic)
$300 - Rayleigh Stratos (80's frame, original parts exc. new tires and brakes)
$250 - Rayleign (80's frame with rear rack, claimed to be in riding condition but sold for restoration, might be a Stratos too)
$480 - Merida 904 (Looks like alu frame, Shimano 105 9-speed components)
$500 - Trek 1.5 (105 components, carbon fork and seatpost)

Why is it that these new hybrids are so expensive for what amounts to Altus-grade components? It seems like I can pick any two of >good components, >drop bars, >provision for panniers.
>>
>>890889
I have never used that, but at price per ounce it seems overpriced. Maybe it is amazing, but I know that I have used the below greases and they work in very hot/humid environments as well as FL winter.

Lucas Oil X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease
Lucas Oil Red 'N' Tacky Grease

I get the 1lb tubs since the price is usually better and use a little grease gun that I refill with the above.

I recently caved in a bought a tub of the Park Tool grease, but have not noticed any life changing quality difference. I have only been using that for a month though so maybe over time I can tell a difference.

This is the same brand/type of grease gun on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Dualco-Grease-Gun-Short-Nozzle/dp/B0025UGOVW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1445397514&sr=8-5&keywords=mini+grease+gun
>>
>>890887
>implying bicycles go high speed
If you had a 55x11 high gear and were able to spin that at 200 rpm and go 80mph, the hubs would still only be going 1000rpm.
>>
File: 1444604077153.png (249 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
1444604077153.png
249 KB, 960x600
>>890895
Are you our new and improved Niko?
>>
>>890899
No, I'm your old and busted AF.
>>
what do you guys eat before you ride?

sometimes it feels like to much of a grind and sometimes it isnt that bad

if i push myself more will it get easier?

>tfw legs start to burn after 10 minutes
>>
>>890903
It never gets easier
>>
>>890905
so its just mental pain threshold
>>
>>890791
Okie dokes, have started checking out everyones suggestions and have a question, on Surlys website they specify that their seat tube/where the front derailleur clamps is 28.6mm (bottom-pull), but on this site (cheapest set I could find) http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-11-speed-groupset-black-72462.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-US&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Road+Bike+Groupsets&gclid=Cj0KEQjw75yxBRD78uqEnuG-5vcBEiQAQbaxSDXiiX2aP-ZYVwEMFfn5WIp_vQpzrXX5SD6qwE3EgP4aAnOZ8P8HAQ the smallest one they offer is 31.8 mm. Is that as small as 105 groupo goes, or is it a problem? Could i use spacers or something like that?
>>
>>890903
my legs cramp up for the 1st 3-4 miles and then only burn when I am climbing or really putting the power down for a length of time.

you gotta eat well the night before and then a little in the morning but dont stuff yourself.
>>
>>890903
there's a fine line between pushing yourself hard enough to warm up properly, and pushing yourself so hard that you blow your load too early.

I'm pretty strict about not using maximum effort until I've been going at a moderate pace for a good 10-15 minutes, otherwise it negatively affects my performance for the rest of the ride.

that said, you probably just need to ride more.
>>
>>891143
yea you can use a shim. You can get a legit one or just cut strips out of a can. It might even come with a shim
>>
File: kona.jpg (3 MB, 4608x2592) Image search: [Google]
kona.jpg
3 MB, 4608x2592
>>891143
Even if you wanted the 31.8mm clamp from Merlin they are out of stock.

I just bought that 105 set from them and bought a braze on AND a separate Shimano clamp for front derailleur. Worked flawlessly and I strongly recommend getting the proper size over shims.

I am
>>890855
>>890862
>>890867
>>890872
I would tell you to pick a different company, Surly has a garbage 3 year warranty and is not doing anything that special to make it worth it to buy their bikes/frames without lifetime warranty.

I went with the Kona Rove Steel frame which is steel, round tubing for bikepacking/touring bags (and has rackmounts if you want panniers). Has AMAZING clearance for wide tides, I think I can fit 60mm but have not tried yet; 50mm fits with plenty of room but I want to ride a 38mm/40mm since I do not need that wide currently. This frame/fork combo costs $525 and comes with lifetime warranty. Also, that green color though.

There are other brands that offer touring/bikepacking/cyclocross frame and fork combinations; many of which offer lifetime warranty because frames should not have issues outside of manufacturer defects.

Meanwhile; Surly, 3 years at the same price/higher than competition.

This is mine before I finished building it. Fixed the stem spacers, installed cables, matching Brooks bar tape, and waiting for brown tires from UK to arrive.
>>
>>891188
Just measured clearance, 68mm wide in the back and 72mm wide in the front.

You can add some fat tires to this.
>>
I've decided on an entry-level Allez for my first road bike. I've been around town, at looks like it's down to a 2015 model for $675 or the 2016 at $770. Is the 2016 worth the extra $100?
>>
>>891194
I think the new model has the new Claris with the paddle shifters which is easily worth the $100 difference.
>>
I weigh 290 lbs. How likely is it that I'll break a bicycle?
>>
Not likely, as long as you run 32 spoke wheels, relatively wide tires at appropriate pressure, and don't go around jumping curbs.
>>
File: 1375311206894.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1375311206894.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>891196

Thanks. The sales guys insisted there was a difference but I wasn't sure if that was true or he was just trying to get more money out of me.
>>
>>891188
After a good dose of research, surly frames are easy to find, and relatively the cheapest. Warranty is not really an issue, if I don't manage to shake loose any weirdness in 3 years of riding I doubt a lifetime warranty would make a difference. Sweet setup btw, looks really nice thus far, the finished product should be pretty sweet!
>>
>>891259
Even with only a 3 year warranty, and them stating they'll reject warranties for pretty much any reason, they still claim they have a 1% warranty rate, as if that's something to be proud of.
>>
>>891260
I mean if it catches fire and blows up fuck it, it was just a bike I can always build another one. Other than the warranty, is there really any reason to go for something more expensive/harder to find? In the end its all welded steel tubing, as long as it fits, and gets me through the hellish rides I like going on its fine by me.
>>
>>891262
The fact that a Surly frame isn't actually all that cheap.
>>
>>891259
I went with the lifetime warranty because I plan on weighing the bike down with gear for camping and more.

I do not imagine that after a few years I will overstress the tubing. After years of frame bags, handlebar bags, seatpost bags, I figure at one point it is reasonable to assume the head tube/seat tube/or top tube will have some sort of issue (bending or anything that is possible).

That is my own take, I tend to think more long term. I do not want to rebuy a frame 5 years down the road due to bad welds, weak tubing, or anything that can happen.

If I can compare to cars, a good amount of aftermarket car parts nowadays come with lifetime warranty and manufacturer/oem parts do not. For the same price; why would you not opt for the lifetime warranty for something that is going to be relied upon so heavily?

>>891260
I remember someone said this before; I would hate for there to be an actual defect and someone at Surly rejects the warranty. 1% warranty rate with 3 year warranty, imagine if that were lifetime; there would probably be upward of 20% warranty rate.
>>
>>891263
Theres the nashbar frames, but I've never read or heard anything about them, and they have a lot of extra braze on for breaks for instance that I don't need. also to me under $500.00 is pretty decent for a frame.
>>
>>891210

I started cycling to work at 280lb and I had to true the stock wheels every 4 or 5 weeks. Got hand built ones with 36 spokes after the third time and I never had to mess with em again.
>>
>>891266

>>891262
If you have that approach, I do not see why you do not just purchase a Nashbar cyclocross frame and fork. I managed to get those 2 parts for $90+$30 with their sitewide 25% off. They usually run sales every week just wait for them and get your parts.

If that breaks I can build another one for cost of frame, I would be upset but not $500+ upset.

You can buy 3 Nashbar frames and forks at the price of the 1 Surly frame/fork. 3 frames and forks will surly last longer than the Surly frame.
>>
>>891267
>>891272

I have the Nashbar cyclocross frame; I will be buying another one as soon as it is under $90 again. Fork too, $30~ for a disc fork is ridiculous; even Origin8's is $70~ and has less tire clearance.

The cyclocross frame even comes with barrel adjusters at that price, I cannot say enough good about it. It is lighter than my Kona, aluminum vs steel.

I could be mistaken but I compared the geometry to my Kona Rove Steel and found them to be extremely similar.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_560195_-1___204685
>>
>>891274
If they had this in stock for human size I would have gone with it instead of the aluminum frame.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_543563_-1___204685

The quality of the cyclocross frame is amazing; for the price I was expecting chipped paint, sizing issues, and everything else that could be wrong.

Rear dropout specs say its 130mm, but I measured 132.6mm~. Rear disc hubs take 135mm but it fits without having to pry it apart. I knew this was a possibility before ordering thanks to reviews.
>>
Can anyone recommend a european style roadster that can be bought in north america?

must have:
upright riding position
fully enclosed drive train
internal hub gears
full fenders
dynamo lights

would also prefer:
internal hub brakes
built in lock
kickstand

The only bikes I can find are a Raleigh Tourist or a Pashley Roadster, both of which are a bit on the expensive side.
>>
File: cottored crap.jpg (494 KB, 888x1822) Image search: [Google]
cottored crap.jpg
494 KB, 888x1822
>>
I am looking to get myself a second bike to use as a commuter whilst spending as little as possible to get it. I am thinking of getting a fixed gear with a flip flop hub as it is the simplest possible bike (that still has a free wheel if I want). How hard is it to build a bike like this from a vintage frame and parts? Would I just be better off buying something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-closer-2015/
>>
>>891468

Just buy an old 12 speed from craigslist, you find some good deals once or twice a week.
>>
>>891469
Oops sorry, I accidentally removed the bit saying I am in York UK and so my local craigslist looks like this http://leeds.craigslist.co.uk/search/bia
>>
>>891485

How cheap is cheap?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/bicycle-for-sale-/1138613376
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/raleigh-road-race-bike-/1137834242
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/531-raleigh-royal-road-bike./1138851482
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/giant-road-bike/1137682924

There are some clean-looking Peugeots for well under 100, but eugh french stuff.
>>
>>891494
Ideally under £200 but if needed I can spend more. I don't want a cheap low end road bike as whenever I ride it I will just wish I was on my nice road bike.

I would like a single speed to keep it as low maintenance as possible, especially with winter coming.

Also, I forgot to mention I am 185cm tall, not sure of my inseam.
>>
Guys where can I get a 1 inch lugged touring fork with cantilever bosses? I want one for my bike that has an ugly unicrown fork.
>>
>>http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/classic-curve-cyclo-cross-fork
>>
>>891303
I was looking two years ago and failed, just kant-haz over here. Ended up with a Spot Ajax and dressed it up myself. Belt drive does same job as full chaincase, looks kinda cool. Hydraulic disks are way better than drums, but don't cheap out like I did; get good ones if at all. Lights, lock, and other bits shipped over from these two outfits:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/verkoop/onderdelen/index_en.html
http://www.dutchbikebits.com/
Cost me $2500CAD for a bike I just ride around to the grocer and cafe on, but it's silent and reliable in all conditions.
If you're less of a DIYer, joe-bike.com understands your needs.
>>
Are there any known brands that make a 400mm (or longer?) carbon seatpost for a reasonable dollar amount? I'm really not looking to spend 100 bucks on this one small part
>>
I got a bike today. You know that saying about how it's like riding a bike, you never forget? Well it's not true.
>>
>>890681
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bik/5271738395.html

LOL
>>
>>891629
$1000 for a roadbike with shimano tourney and stem shifters?

wut
>>
>>891598
Get a frame that fits
>>
>>891582
You the man
>>
>>891629
Ahh the classic Bianchi GMC Denali.
>>
File: 8961438320338361597.jpg (747 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
8961438320338361597.jpg
747 KB, 1080x1920
So I know absolutely nothing about bikes, haven't owned one since I was about 12. Is this bike identifiable by this pic and its it worth 85 bucks?
>>
>>891683
Yeah that's worth $85 of anyone's money.
>>
>>891683
Any bike that is free of rust and/or excessive damage, shifts/brakes properly and has two wheels that spin true is worth $85.
>>
http://orlando.craigslist.org/bik/5256709022.html
>>
>>891686
OMG you could take this to bike demo events and charge people $5 to ride it around a parking lot for a few minutes. You'd make back your initial investment in under a hundred years - LOL.

It looks like it escaped from a 1980s 007 movie.

For real, this was granted a patent on some claims about unique steering. It was either advertised or had an article written about it in Playboy magazine in the late 1980s, i.e., stuff to buy if you have stupid money to throw away on silly stuff.
>>
>>891683
heads up: that's a girl's bike
>>
>>891710
Yeah, but I'm a girl, so what's the problem?
>>
File: bikes-for-city-travel.jpg (1 MB, 2392x1738) Image search: [Google]
bikes-for-city-travel.jpg
1 MB, 2392x1738
Hi, are any of these worth anything or are they all shit?

I'll be using it to travel 6 miles a day for work in the city.

or do I just risk buying a 2nd hand(ie stolen or broken) one in gumtree from muhammad or oli chavoli at half price?

gonna post the alternatives.
>>
File: buying used or stolen bikes.jpg (818 KB, 3502x1064) Image search: [Google]
buying used or stolen bikes.jpg
818 KB, 3502x1064
>>891721

alternatives
>>
>>891721
I'd get the sputnik and replace the retarded track drop with a flat bar chopped to appropriate width (around the width of your shoulders). And then outfit it with my favorite saddle and long foam grips.
Another plus is that it's equipped with fender mounts so you can add fenders and run it as a winter/utility bike if you decide to upgrade to whatever-bike.
>>
>>891641
well the thing is, the frame is listed as the right size but it came in a little smaller than i thought, so i need a longer seatpost so theres enough of it a actually in the frame for it to be safe
>>
>>891735

what about the other cheapass ones? are they not suitable?
>>
File: p5pb12588448[1].jpg (483 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
p5pb12588448[1].jpg
483 KB, 1024x683
I'm looking for a burly HT for shore riding. What is your take on either one of these beasts?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1833252/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1834857/

Leaning hard towards the Cove tbh
>>
http://longisland.craigslist.org/bik/5244075442.html
What do you guise think of this? I'm 5'9 and the frame looks like it's about right.
>>
How stupid would it be to get like a store credit card to buy a nice high end garbon bike?
>>
>>891721
>>891722
>>891721
>>891722
>>891721
>>891722
STOP FUCKING SPAMMING THIS BOARD WITH YOUR SHIT

You have made 3-4 separate threads about this, you had posted multiple times in every big thread regarding this. Jesus
>>
>>892181
Fucking angry white chan nerd
>>
>>892187
looks like little nikki stopped using his trip
>>
french forum draw on drawball smiley
>>
>>892188
lol
>>
I guess I might as well ask here.

It's not normal for a Shimano hollowtech bottom bracket to be stiff and notchy is it?

I just bought a new BB9000, and the bearings are amazingly stiff, and you can feel the notchiness as you try to turn the bearings.
>>
>>892188
Let me site a Google search real quick to prove you're wrong.
>inb4 poorfag meme
It's raining that's why I post on 4chan everyday also because I hate you all so much that I can't leave.
>>
>>892178
>nice track bike
>flat bars

I think it's absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>892209
Nigga i'm obv nt gonna keep the fucking flat shits, don't you think it's a good price
>>
>>892225
Based on two minutes of quick research, I'm inclined to say it is, assuming decent condition.
>>
File: 889_1512_829_XL.png (1 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
889_1512_829_XL.png
1 MB, 1500x1000
>>892197
Hollowtech BBs do feel considerably stiffer when you turn them by hand, especially compared to an old-fashioned cup and cone BB with loose bearings, but if it feels notched that probably means something is wrong. A common issue might be that you overtorqued the fixing bolt, it only requires moderate hand pressure - there's a reason why the tool made for that job is tiny (pic related)

>>892179
Not bike specific, but as a general rule, buying anything beyond your means on credit is foolish.

>>892178
Nothing obviously wrong with it, should be a good fit for you - just add brakes (assuming you're going to ride it outside of a velodrome) and it'd be pretty sweet.
>>
File: 1439519473640.jpg (125 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
1439519473640.jpg
125 KB, 740x740
>>892236
>those hands
>>
>>892236
No, I'm talking about compared to other (used) hollowtech and megaexo BBs. I didn't do anything to it. It was supposed to be new.
>>
Anyone know where I can get a cheap road frame, both nashbar and bikeisland no longer seem to have cheap frames. Trying to avoid used frames because I need XS and they're just hard to find second hand.
>>
>>892566
How does nashbar NOT have cheap frames anymore?

Is $80-$115 not cheap for a frame?

Where are you finding these presumably $20 frames?

Fuck this I'm going to suduko; you are too retarded
>>
>>892574
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&orderBy=4&searchTerm=&beginIndex=0&pageSize=16&categoryId=204685&metaData=

Stupid nerd, do you just shitpost all day? Do you expect me to ride a CX/touring frame and also have to buy a fork, or manybe a little kiddy frame?
>>
>>892578
>>892579
>hop on in to say that i actually asked them the other day and they said they werent getting that frame back in
>it's niko shitposting

ayyyy

also what size do you need fam? ive got a 60cm one i could part with...
>>
http://lincoln.craigslist.org/bik/5205179004.html

I manage to talk him down to 800, should I buy it?
>>
>>892656
If the tires are good and it's your size, yes.
>>
Nashbar is trying to tempt me with a 1 day only 20% discount, just as I'm shopping for a new bike.

Is this some sort of rare event, or can I expect it to repeat shortly after I sleep on my choice?
>>
>>892697
It happens often enough. There had a 25% a bit back, which is rarer. You are almost guaranteed a coupon code of at least 20% off during black friday weekend, the small issue being how much they adjust their base prices.
>>
>>892697
They constantly have similar sales. I am waiting for the next time it is 25% or greater sitewide. I bought a bunch of stuff with 25% sitewide about 2 weeks ago and saved far over $500.

Nashbar tools compared to Park tools are already a better price, but with 25% off those tools start reaching a realistic price.
>>
How much is enough when it comes to commuter bicycle components?

With a lot of models I see on offer, there's a base variant with a component list topped by Altus or Acera, and a v-brake. For almost double the price, there's an upgraded variant with Deore or Alivio, and possibly disc brakes.

The main thing I want to avoid is the death spiral of components that fail to stay calibrated or just break down following attempts to repair or calibrate.

What I wouldn't mind as much is having parts fail after a few years of use in a way that actually reflects their use.
>>
>>892945
No need to go above Deore for commuter stuff. Alivio is still pretty good. Acera is not bad. Altus is where it starts cheaping out. Tourney is cheap.
>>
>>892945
SRAM > Shimano
>>
>>892967
Well, then the equivalent is nothing for the low tier, and Via Centro or something for the high tier.

I guess they don't bother with cheap SRAM components on the cheap frames because Shimano is a household name.
>>
I am looking for a entry level distance racing bike for $1000 to $1200 dollars. I am pretty damn overwhelmed by the few dozen brands I've already looked at. Anyone have some advice or at least pointers on what to look for?

I need a 58-60cm frame. I'm 6'2' with a 32in inseam. I commute daily on either my 70's Panasonic Radonneur or my steel single speed, but I need something legit to start training for races.

Help me /n/.
>>
What are things to look out for when buying old 70-80's racers?

Looking to buy something relatively light and fast in the 200-500$ equivalent range, but i don't want to buy a rust stained doodoo
>>
>>892974
A specialized Allez
>>
File: ridley_fenix_ar2.jpg (62 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
ridley_fenix_ar2.jpg
62 KB, 720x720
Thinking of buying this bike, the Ridley Fenix AR2, 900 CAD on sale.

Specs
>http://www.mec.ca/product/5039-778/ridley-fenix-ar2-road-bicycle-unisex/?Ns=p_min_sale_price&h=10+50002+50013+52289&f=10+50013+52289

Thoughts?
>>
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bik/5278949321.html
Pretty nice eh? Good deal? Worth it?
I'm 5'8 btw
>>
>>893254
Vertical dropouts on a "track bike"?

$450 for just the frame??
>>
>>893017

Columbus/Reynolds/Tange tubing
No cottered cranks
No suicide levers/stems
No stem shifters
Downtube shifter bosses
Aero brake levers
700c wheels
No centerpull brake calipers
Rear derailleur hanger
>>
>>893037

Go for it. IMO Tiagra is the best groupset for a first bike. Not too light, but reliable and sturdy, and no plastic bits like Sora or Claris.

Alu frame + carbon fork + Tiagra groupo = Best entry level bike

You may want to rebuild the wheels at some point, Alexrims is decent but those are probably machine built so they will go out of true. Nothing too expensive to do.
>>
>>893037
I'd say save up and get one with 105
I have identical bikes with my friend except I have 105 and he has tiagra. Tiagra is pretty shite when you compare it side by side.
>>
>>893256
At first I was like "It has eccentric bottom bracket breh"
Then I saw the cable routing and brake mounts, I thought it was a regular road bike with the added luxury of EBB.
>No derailleur hanger
What the fuck is that thing made for?
>>
>>893259
Please do tell what plastic bits Sora (or even claris) has for that matter faggot.
>>
>>892657
I ended up getting it, only problem is scratches on the gel coat. Other than that, I enjoy it so much. Any recommendation on wheels? I tend to rise on the road and crushed limestone trails a lot.
>>
>>892657
The tires are Vittoria Zaffiro Slick and they feel as if a twig would be able to pop these things.
>>
File: Bianchi Limited.jpg (574 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Bianchi Limited.jpg
574 KB, 1200x675
Just bought pic related for $100.
'87 Bianchi limited with 105 components. The front derailleur is broken and it needs a new tube, but everything else is in great condition and it has minimal rust.
Ishiwata chro-mo, 105 hubs, Arya CTL 370 rims.
Sorry about shitty pic.

Did I just get ripped off?
>>
>>893402
No way. Looks like a great road bike. Anything past this point is just marginal gains. Stick a good rider on that and they could smoke any weaker cunt on a 10,000 crabon
>>
>>893403
I wasn't really concerned about the bike itself.
I was more concerned with the fact that I payed $100 for such a rough bike.
I guess new tube + bar tape + derailleur should only be $50-60 max.

I usually ride a trek with Sora components (pls no bully) and this thing doesn't seem nearly as smooth. It's going to take quite a bit of work, but it should make a good rainy-day bike, eh?
>>
>>893404
The word you want is paid, not payed, unless you paid in rope.

And like the other guy said, nice find. Obviously, some new stuff to fix what's worn out wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>893402
Good deal bruh. Not ripped of at all
>>
>>893406
>>893408
Thanks fellas. I bought it without knowing a whole lot about it. You have to be damn fast in a college down due to flippers.
It looks like I've got my work cut out for me. I'll try to post pics (of better quality) on here once I get it fixed up.
>>
File: specialized-allez-elite.jpg (210 KB, 1200x733) Image search: [Google]
specialized-allez-elite.jpg
210 KB, 1200x733
Specialized Allez Elite.

I'm going to buy it on Saturday, what do you think boys? It will be my first real road bike.

>specs
Tiagra groupset

http://bikedepot.com/product/specialized-allez-elite-213490-1.htm#reviewshttp://bikedepot.com/product/specialized-allez-elite-213490-1.htm#reviews
>>
File: 959_-847456533.jpg (24 KB, 605x454) Image search: [Google]
959_-847456533.jpg
24 KB, 605x454
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/sport-sportgeraete/cannondale-bad-boy-7-bj-2013-26-l-urbanbike-citybike-stadtrad-bike-fahrrad-135814959/

looking for a commuter bike, i came across this - cannondale bad boy, but
>shimano acera

i thought cannondale were quality bikes - is acera group acceptable? any thoughts on the cannondale bad boys?
>>
>>893520
>rim brakes

That's a dead end bike, not worth upgrading or investing in later on.
>>
>>893536
Nice meh meh
>>
>>893537
>rim brakes on anything but a road bike
look everyone it's meh meh man
>>
>>893422
I'm currently running a full tiagra groupset on one of my roadbikes. No issues so far (1200 miles). The Allez frame is really good, I'd probably change wheels though.
>>
>>893549

>v-brakes baaaad discs gooood

One of my favorite may-mays
>>
>>893601
>v-brakes

dear god it's worse than I thought
>>
Hey guys, is this bike good for the money? I'm new to the hobby and looking for something good on roads and dirt trails.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/mProduct4_10551_10052_1163436_-1
>>
>>893626

>Implying v-brakes aren't the best possible type of brake for commuting
>>
>>890681
>pbk
>order tyres
>comes with free tyre levers
>ship everything but levers
>well send it to you later
>later
>were canceling your order for free levers
>you wont be charged for them so its cool
>even though they were free in the first place
BAG OF DICKS
>>
>see bike on cl
>looks okay
>ask seller if he has close ups of decals
>seller suddenly gets suspicious and wants to know who i am and demands name and phone number and why i want to see the decals
>what the actual fuck
Stolen bike detected
>>
>>893805
Fuji cross is a great bike
>>
>>893830
Fair weather commuter detected
>>
File: 50-8380-RED-FRONT.jpg (249 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
50-8380-RED-FRONT.jpg
249 KB, 1500x1500
>>893861

>le can't brake with rim brakes on the rain meme

pls no more
>>
>>893861
>buying into dick brake marketing
>>
>>893865
Because we all know how terrible it was when it happened in the mtb community.
>>
>>893863
>le it's better so it's a jewish marketing scam maymay

you forgot to say "gamer geek"
>>
>>893906

>le strawman meem
>>
I think I asked in the wrong thread. Are Planet Bike Hardcore fenders any good? I don't want to have to replace what I buy.
>>
>>893946
pics
>>
File: bikes (1).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bikes (1).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
Hey /n/

I know it's a bit of a clusterfuck, but which of these used bikes looks best to you, to be used as a commuter bike? (commencing minor dump)
>>
File: bikes (2).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bikes (2).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>894039
>>
File: bikes (3).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bikes (3).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>894041
>>
File: bikes (4).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bikes (4).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>894042
>>
File: bikes (5).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bikes (5).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>894043
>>
File: bikes (6).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
bikes (6).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>894044
And this is the last one. Any suggestions?
>>
>>894039
Despite the blurry-ass shit-pile of photos; I think all these bikes are equally crappy and ideal for riding to work/school and leaving it locked up outside all day and all night.

Assuming they are all equally tuned up and have parts that are not totally worn out I would just pick the one that is your size and is your favorite colour.

There is no win or lose in this pile
>>
>>894045

Get the only one with the straight top tube, black and purple with white handlebar
>>
>>893984
http://www.freshbikescycling.com/product/planet-bike-hardcore-fenders-atb-81213-1.htm
>>
>>893946
can't speak to the hardcore in particular but I have these PBs on my cross bike for commuting
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7005.html
they've been good although the coverage isn't quite as much as I'd like, I wish I had gotten longer ones up front. something like the hardcore in fact

note that Real Commuter snobs will only consider honjo fenders to be acceptable
>>
File: mono91804101_1.jpg (299 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
mono91804101_1.jpg
299 KB, 800x800
Any recommendations on folding bikes? saw some japs carting them around on the train in japan and found myself quite enthralled with the compatibility of them.
>>
>>894063
>Honjo
2expensive4me.
>>
File: purplebike.jpg (786 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
purplebike.jpg
786 KB, 1536x2048
>>894053
Dunno man, wasn't visible from the earlier pics, but it looks like this from the back
>>
>>894063
>Real Commuter snobs will only consider honjo fenders to be acceptable
orly ? i thought it was just retrofags that went in for those.
the pb fenders are great on my touring bike, the zefal ones at nashbar are a good buy also - pretty much bulletproof though all plastic will get brittle with age and extreme weather exposure also. the zefals seems to have some kind of coating that may protect them form this though ?
>>
>>894063
>note that Real Commuter snobs will only consider honjo fenders to be acceptable
Nope

>>894106
>orly ? i thought it was just retrofags that went in for those.
It is. Honjo fenders are not durable enough for being locked up outside, they will dent easily, and their attachment system and material makes them more likely to implode. What metal fenders are is they are nicer looking, lighter weight, and have better stiffness to weight so they don't flop around as much.
>>
>>891683
get it
>>
What bike should I buy on Amazon that is less than $300? I'm going to be using it for commuting. I'm 5'5"~5'6" 30" inseam
>>
>>894109
>locked up outside
Who actually does this in real life though? Maybe if you live in small town Japan. In a normal western city, your bike will be stripped to the frame before lunch.
>>
>>894268
Rule of thumb: never EVER buy a <$300 new bicycle.
>>
File: 639424.jpg (22 KB, 458x458) Image search: [Google]
639424.jpg
22 KB, 458x458
So I'm working on my bikes, but I don't have anything that hold them up for me, so I always have to lean them on shit and list them up when I'm adjusting gears and shit. Which ofc is fucking terrible. I bought this thing (pic related) but my Kona Blast is way to fat for it to work. Because of this I'm thinking of buying some sort of contraption that grips the frame and holds the bike in the air for me, problem is I have no idea what they are called. Alternatively, if anyone could link to a guide to that shows how to build one, that would be superb. Many thanks.
>>
>>894318

Come on man. Try searching for -bicycle repair stand- -bicycle shop stand- - bicycle stand-

You might find it cheaper to rig some rope up from the ceiling and you can hang it from the nose of your saddle and the handle bars.
>>
>>894321
Found it, thanks. Just had no clue what to search for.
>>
>>894321
Yeah sure, and as when I try to change the chain and adjust dérailleurs. Having to pedal the bike it's going to be swinging all over the damn place when I could have gotten a decent bike stand and have it stay put.
>>
>>894311
im not shitting out gold eggs
>>
>>894375

If you're poor, buy used
>>
So I want to start riding a bike to work in order to lose some weight and save money from gas. The route I have planned is only 4 miles and the roads are kinda poor with a few railroad crossings. Is there a bike that someone could recommend without breaking a $500 budget?
>>
http://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/battaglin-racer-frame-with-carbon-fork/9065100

What do you guys think?
>>
>>894609

I have a groupset and wheels etc from my specialized allez (on which I broke the frame).
>>
File: pew pew.jpg (313 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
pew pew.jpg
313 KB, 1600x1200
thinking about buying this frame. Can't find any infos on the brand though. Any one got personal experience with them?
>>
Looking to get a new road bike. I'm looking at the enduro comfort bikes with discs.

Can someone tell me why the Domane 4.5 disc (~3800AU) http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/endurance_race/domane/domane_4_5_disc_compact/

Is so much cheaper than the scott solace (~4400AU) http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/241443022/SCOTT-Solace-10-Disc-Bike

Also, open to opinions on other enduro comfort bikes with discs.
>>
>>894840
Haven't the foggiest, really. Is that prices from actual shops near you or just online?

Another option would be the Avanti Corsa ER, I think the ultegra version is around $4000 retail so right between those two.
>>
>>894835

No experience, but Motta was a pretty based rider, and if you google his bikes (or the modern bikes with his name on it) they're all pretty nice, so I suppose it's safe to assume it'll be a quality frame.
>>
File: gianni motta alu comp.jpg (120 KB, 750x482) Image search: [Google]
gianni motta alu comp.jpg
120 KB, 750x482
>>894853
>>894835
>>
File: 00v0v_6l0M0qLw0R0_600x450.jpg (54 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
00v0v_6l0M0qLw0R0_600x450.jpg
54 KB, 450x450
Thinking about buying this surly cross check. The guy offered 450 but the back tire's rim was damaged and needs to be replaced. Other than that, he said the cassett and hub were fine.

Im new to this hobby and have no fucking clue how much something like this is going to cost me to fix.

Worth it?
>>
Can anyone find a "boo" in this?

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1832081/?directtofirstphoto
>>
>>894873
Overpriced as all hell. Avoid.
>>
>>894878
You really think so? I googled the frame and it by itself runs about 480 new, looks like.
>>
Thoughts on the Giant Defy 3, 2015 model? Is the 2016 model any better? What are the differences?

Planning on buying it as my first roadbike ever.
>>
>>894880
Why ask if you've already made a decision?
>>
>>894880

The frame new is already overpriced as hell
>>
>>894882
Come on now. We're better than /fit/.
>>
>>894882
I havn't made one, I just wanted a little more feedback as to why it was a shit decision. Thanks for your input though.
>>
Does this look like a good buy? I just need it to go to and from work and the baskets will help me with picking up groceries on the way home.
Is the frame/brakes good? I couldn't find much info on it.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/5270104936.html
>>
So I have the chance to buy another bike, since my budget it's 800-950 dlls my options are Giant Defy 3 or 5, Trek Series 1.1 or Cannondale CAAD10 Claris. do any of these worth it or I must save for other options?
As a note the use for that bike will be for commute but I'm thinking to start training and shit.
>>
>>894927
>dlls
Why do Mexicans do this? Why can't you just say "dollars", "$" or "USD"?
>>
>>894931
Because they want to scam you and call then doll hairs later on
>>
>>894931
da fuck is wrong with you, amigo?
Llégale a la verga.
>>
>>894844

Thats RRP
>>
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/5298810298.html

I'm about 5'9, would 52 be pushing the limits? And copperknot?
>>
>>894966
cancer
>>
>>894927
CAAD10. Very good frameset, and you can upgrade from Claris to 105 when you get the money.
>>
>>894911
I'd stay away from it because of the weirdo SRAM DualDrive IGH, which I doubt anyone on the face of the planet knows how to service. Can't imagine the SR/SunTour v-brakes are worth a damn, either.
>>
>>893805
Update: I ended up ordering a 2016 CAADX 105 from a cannondale dealer close to my house instead, paid $1570. How badly did I fuck up?
>>
>>894997
>mechanical dick breaks
o boy
>>
>>894999
Stop that shit.
>>
>>894997
you did pretty ok. I always try to buy last years shit on a great deal. Also mech brakes are good, the people that say otherwise are too poor to upgrade or are weight weenie faggots. You are now able to ride in the rain no warries.
>>
File: 1446428476701.jpg (208 KB, 869x1246) Image search: [Google]
1446428476701.jpg
208 KB, 869x1246
>>895007
>mfw someone has mechanical dikr bakes near me and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>895017
My mechanical discs only squeak when they're wet.

Surely hydros would do the exact same thing.
>>
>>895019
Only if the pads are contaminated. Sometimes mechanicals squeal when disengaged because they aren't adjusted quite right, and you need to adjust them as pads wear. This isn't a problem with hydraulics because they self-adjust.

It can also happen to any disk brake because warped rotors.
>>
>>891613
Sucks being a moron, doesn't it.
>>
>>894375
If you're not willing to shell out at least $400 for a new bike then you should buy used. Otherwise you're buying a disposable piece of shit from a sporting goods store AT BEST.

Buy used if you're a no-money pleb, otherwise suck it up and shell out. Your bike is an investment and a means of transportation, not just a kiddie toy.
>>
>>895025
Hy/Rds self adjust and they're mechanical

In any case saying noise is unique to mechanical disc brakes is basically the same as saying "I take my bike to the shop when the tires are low on air"
>>
File: battaglin.jpg (18 KB, 396x292) Image search: [Google]
battaglin.jpg
18 KB, 396x292
>>894609
>>894610

Bump for this Battaglin. I have no idea if they're any good (other than Stephen Roche won the tour on one of their 1987 bikes).

I'm also beginning to debate what I want from my bike. Ideally I'd like a road bike that I could throw a rack on that could accommodate a pannier but I've heard conflicting reports about the viability of this. I know there's the option where you mount it via the QR axles but I've heard that my heels would be clipping the panniers if I was to actually cycle with it and I would be very susceptible to pinch flats too. I wouldn't be putting a huge amount in my pannier(s), just some lunch, a change of clothes and shoes, and maybe a book or something.

I've been cycling my dad's (too small for me) hybrid since I crashed my specialized and while I've been impressed with its speed for commuting, I'm beginning to loathe its extremely wide and flat handlebars. I have bar-ends for some hand position variation but it's also hindered my ability to comfortably squeeze through traffic which I could achieve with drops. (plus drops just feel far far nicer). I could just also be a little bitch considering my commute is only 10km each way.

My budget for a frame is around 200/250 euros (if the frame is reaaaaally perfect).
>>
>>895038
>$400
more lke $800
>>
File: md027870 (1) (Custom) (2).jpg (3 MB, 4000x2649) Image search: [Google]
md027870 (1) (Custom) (2).jpg
3 MB, 4000x2649
>>895161
>http://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/battaglin-racer-frame-with-carbon-fork/9065100
Well it's an old aluminium bike with a carbon fork. They fenders make it less desirable to anyone because they show it's been ridden in the wet a lot, sort of like a car with a free podfilter. It's not in great cosmetic condition. The scratches and dings on the frame itself are just nice patina imo, they devalue it but nothing more. You'd ideally want to check the carbon fork out in person. Any significant cracks or peeling on the fork and i'd pass. It will be stiff and racey. You spec it out light as a fast road bike and it will be great. You should run 25mm tires on it, which are gonna be the fastest anyway, but if you want to be a slow upright rando babby on $100 Compass 35mm babby tires / ride gravel it's not gonna work well. The tight clearances will marr the frame if you ride too much rough gravel. If you stop gotta go fast then it's not for you. I think they would take 100-120 euro which would be more fair.

To load it you could do pretty gud with a bikepacking seatbag like pic related. You can get one large enough for shoes, lunch, clothes, book. I wouldn't worry about pinch flats. The best road clincher tires available come in 25mm size. Keep them properly inflated and they will handle fatties or gear just fine. A decent road wheelset can be pretty damn strong too.
>>
>>895161
http://www.battaglin-cicli.com/batt-racer-eng

Seems all right to me, but don't expect to mount a rack easily. Maybe look into a decaleur + front rack that mounts to brake hole & fork?
>>
what's the best $1000 road bike i can get?
>>
>>895244
I have no idea if it's "the best", but I got this one for about 1000 used
>>
File: user28863_pic1541_1314597211.jpg (73 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
user28863_pic1541_1314597211.jpg
73 KB, 600x450
>>895341
Oops, pic here
>>
>>895244

Canyon Endurance
Cannondale CAAD8
Specialized Allez
Giant Defy
>>
can someone ID this bike?

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bik/5297223206.html
>>
>>895372
Looks like a generic fg/ss bike, hundreds of thousands of which have been sold over the past few years under many different brand names. I would expect to find a mediocre frame and wheels and cheap (but workable) components all around - but for $100 it's a fair deal if everything is in good condition and there's life left in the tires.
>>
is Giant OCR good beik? considering buying it used, guy is asking 250, bike blue book says in best condition = 150 freedombucks, ebay has listings for 400?
halp
>>
I'm going for the trek series 1.1
it worth it?
I like the design an color scheme but I don't know if components like rims worth it
help /n/
>>
File: Asset_286973.png (1016 KB, 1490x1080) Image search: [Google]
Asset_286973.png
1016 KB, 1490x1080
Looking for a decent hard tail, is the trek marlin 7 good for trails and dirt paths and a fair bit of hills?
>>
>>895385
I had a norco charger a while ago. The geometry is so good for trails
>>
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/bik/5275121022.html

is it worth it
>>
How do I figure out what size bike to buy given my height? I googled a guide but it didn't make a lot of sense to me unless all of the bikes I'm looking at are for babies somehow.
>>
>>895404
Just get the guys at the store to do it for you.
>>
>>895406
Oh, I was going to buy used, and I don't really have a lot of confidence in craigslist people's ability to accurately state stuff.
>>
>>895408
I'm 6'1" and I fit a 21" frame, but prefer 19.5
>>
>>895440
>be 5'5"
>sizing chart says I need a 20.5" frame
Seems reasonable.
>>
>>895456
what size wheels?
>>
>>895457
I just googled and clicked the first result. It didn't say anything about wheel size.

http://www.cycleexperience.com/getting_the_right_size.php
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 48

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.