[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will fixies ever die?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 17
File: 20131015-073129.jpg (104 KB, 465x465) Image search: [Google]
20131015-073129.jpg
104 KB, 465x465
Will fixies ever die?
>>
>>889865
Who cares, people do stupid things all the time. People are riding bikes and that's good enough for me, even if they have to walk them up hills.
>>
>>889866
What's wrong with walking up hills?
>>
>>889867
It means you chose the wrong tool for the task at hand.

Or perhaps need to HTFU. I don't know.
>>
>>889865
Yuck. Girl went from 8 to a 2/10 with that bike.
>>
>>889865
yes, once everyone stops bitching about fixie riders and just ignores them then the hipsters that ride them will move on to unicycles.
>>
>>889950
The thing that bugs me about fixies is they are illogical for commuting. I don't care if someone uses a mountain bike or even a BMX to commute if it's their only bike and they also use it for its intended use (going off road and doing tricks respectively) but a fixie is 98% of a decent commuter. All it would need is the ability to freewheel and some brakes, it would be much safer and there isn't any downside other than not being as hip and cool. Shit, a lot of these kids even pay extra for their brakeless fixies over just getting a regular single speed with brakes.

That said I'm not going to knock someone for cycling even if it is on a stupid bike, as long as they don't ride like a complete retard endangering themselves and others and potentially impacting other cyclists.
>>
>>889961
>a lot of these kids even pay extra for their brakeless fixies over just getting a regular single speed with brakes
I'd like to see actual evidence that this happens

I'm not saying it's inconceivable, but it sounds suspiciously like hyperbole based on a well justified hatred of the fixie fad
>>
>>889965
I don't really have evidence, but it's not that hard to believe. First of all you have the hipster tax, then a lot of them are using track parts (hubs, frames, deep rims, drops, etc.) that can end up being more expensive. Sure it's possible that some of them have bikes costing the same or even less than a SS with brakes, but it won't be by a significant amount (brakes are cheap as fuck, well worth it for the benefits).
>>
File: 1341349507018.png (518 KB, 676x676) Image search: [Google]
1341349507018.png
518 KB, 676x676
>>889966
Mmmm Trip Dubs

With people buying track parts they are undoubtedly being faggots, but you can get some dirt cheap fixed gears, so its a bit too much of a generalization there.
>>
all those "fixed gear hipsters" grew old and got cafe racer motorbikes
>>
File: 1443903136881.jpg (190 KB, 1279x666) Image search: [Google]
1443903136881.jpg
190 KB, 1279x666
>>889887
girl doesn't even squat/10
>>
>>889879
riding a bike up a hill that you can't climb on a single speed is hell no matter what gear you use. lame argument tbh
>>
>>890707
Not really. If you gear the single speed to have decent flat ground speed you're going to be standing on the hills, probably mashing with a slow cadence. Gear it low enough that you can sit down whilst climbing with a decent cadence and you're going to spin out all the time on flats.
>>
>>890709
no, it's shit.
>>
>>890818
What's shit?
>>
>>890820
climbing steep hills. just walk over them. if a hill is steep enough to need to change gears i'd rather just hop off and jog up. keep in mind i climb most hills no problem.
>>
>>890830
Well that depends entirely on how steep the hills are. I've got nothing against single speed if it fits the terrain that you're riding.

I even did it myself for a little while and it was okay for most stuff (although I geared my bike low enough and didn't care about going very fast on the flats). Even now with gears there are some hills I'll walk up, but not everyone wants to do that especially if they're trying to get somewhere reasonably quickly.
>>
>>890834
if the terrain requires more than a single speed i'd rather be in a motorized vehicle. climbing long steep hills is balls on a bicycle no matter the gearing and i find single speed perfect elsewhere.
>>
>>889961
>doing tricks respectively
I mean that's only one thing you can do but I grew up racing...
You do know what BMX stands for?
>>
>>890843
You are a pussy anon. The only reason to need to walk a bike up a hill is if you need climbing gear and a rope to pull it up the side of the cliff
>>
>>890949
Boy man extreme?
>>
>>890949
Sure, but not as many people race BMX compared to stuff like dirt and street. Also most people that race probably aren't using their race bikes for commuting and probably have other bikes (same for most trials and DH riders).
>>
>>889950

>stratifying the bicycling community

What community? The only "communities" these faggots are involved in are trashy urban subcultures.

>they pump money into the bicycle industry that we all rely on

No, they pump money into the niche fashion-fixie companies that cater specifically to them, while respectable cycling companies throw a fixie or two into their catalog to try to turn a quick profit on the trend. Not everything in this world is happy symbiosis; sometimes fags really are just fags.
>>
>>889950
Shhh you're ruining the hatred circle jerk
>>
File: 4dd9b6074622b_10724n.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
4dd9b6074622b_10724n.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
>>891002
>>
No one in the fixed gear communities refer to such bikes as "fixies" that's marketing bullshit buzzwords. It's a fixed gear. I have a few and I have absolutely no problem keeping with the road fags here.

You /n/iggers complaining about climbing hills need to look up gear ratios. I run a 48-17 and have absolutely no issues with climbing (live in WI), perhaps it's because I don't have chicken legs.
>>
>>891045
>No one in the fixed gear communities refer to such bikes as "fixies" that's marketing bullshit buzzwords. It's a fixed gear.
Nah, fixed gear is a technical name, fixie is more like a nickname. If I had a fixie I'd call it a fixie.

>I run a 48-17 and have absolutely no issues with climbing (live in WI), perhaps it's because I don't have chicken legs.
No, it's because you have low gearing and like to go slow, unless you can spin really damn fast for extended periods.

Fixies are pretty dumb, single speeds are okay if it suits your terrain.
>>
>>891064
>No, it's because you have low gearing and like to go slow, unless you can spin really damn fast for extended periods.

I'd like to say I do 110RPM no sweat but I'd be lying. 21mph is my usual speed. I don't really consider that slow but whatever. 30mph on the CAAD 10 feels pretty good but I have more fun on the fixed.

What's dumb is subjective.
>>
>>891073
>21mph is my usual speed.
That's about 95rpm, about the ideal cadence. The thing is I can't imagine there's much resistance at that speed so even on a slight decline you're going to have to start spinning even faster.

I can easily maintain 18mph on flat ground on a bike that probably weighs twice as much as yours with a more upright position and baggy clothes, a road bike would easily gain me more than that extra 3mph. So, on your bike I'd probably be wanting something more like 48/15, maybe 48/14, if I don't want to be spinning out on anything other than flat ground. Trouble is I'd then be standing up and mashing on the pedals to climb any reasonable sized hill.
>>
>>889865
I live in chicago, there is no reason for them to die here it is totally practical to have and ride a fixie.

I do occasionally watch some idiot with no breaks fishtail through the snow in the winter, into a busy intersection in the winter... in which case I wonder if they will die.
>>
>>891045
>I run a 48-17 and have absolutely no issues with climbing (live in WI),

lol ok dude, I'd like to see you keep up with me on your fixie for a 3000' vertical climb in colorado.
>>
>>890986
i dont cycle for the challenge, retard. and im pretty sure i could beat the fuck out of you so drop the internet tough guy act, pussy.
>>
>>889865
all fads die
>>
>>891234
my dad can beat up your dad
>>
File: NiggaGotAttitude.jpg (27 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
NiggaGotAttitude.jpg
27 KB, 280x180
>>889966
>>
>>891184
>hurr durr my hills are better than ur hills
>Provoking a challenge with an Anon to prove your elitism

Only thing worse than assholes in cars are elitist pricks.

Anyways If you could read, you would've seen that I also ride a road bike. I'd still shit stomp you though /n/igger. Biggest talkers are always the slowest/weakest.
>>
Fixies have their place.
In the Netherlands, everything is flat, and bikes get damaged and stolen a lot.
Here cheap and sturdy is a common choice, and brakeless Dutch fixies are great for that.

Hipster fad cyclists can fuck off though.

No clue about hills, we literally don't have those around here. Maybe a few bridges, but they are always manageable.
>>
>>891896
I sometimes climb for 15-20 minutes to get up some of the hills around here. 4-5 miles at 5% is something that is gonna suck on a fixie, but really its the trip down that would destroy your knees.
>>
>>889865
Fun never dies.
It just gets slightly less fun.
>>
f
>>
>>890830
lmfao
>>
File: break yo self.gif (513 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
break yo self.gif
513 KB, 500x282
Yes....
>>
>>891922
that's a good way to put it lol
>>
>>891234
Not the same guy but seriously you're a huge fag. I ride on a Schwinn continental which is a very heavy bike and I have literally no issues riding up hills st s leasurly pace without breaking a sweat as long as I SHIFT DOWN GEARS. As a comparison your argument is like saying that your car can't traverse over sea and land so you k gut as well only travel by plane. Just because you chose a setup that does not suit your needs and forces you to literally get off it because it's too hard does not mean that it would still be too hard with a proper set up so don't give me this I would be better off riding fixie or in a car because I'm a stubborn pussy who shelled out too much on an impracticle mode of transportation shit.
>>
In my opinion, at least people are riding bikes. If it takes a fixie to get them on the saddle, then sure.
>>
>>892250
>Just because you chose a setup that does not suit your needs
I chose my setup because it does suit my needs. I have had an arsenal of bicycles at my disposal over the course of my existence including several 10 and 21 speeds. What led me to _choosing_ a single speed was the very fact that having gears doesn't make going up the hills I can't effectively climb on my single speed any better. I can literally get off my bicycle and hoof it over those hills 10x faster than I can shift down and go over them. Upon realizing I never fucking use my gears, I chose a single speed you god damned moron. The only areas where I wouldn't ride my single speed I wouldn't bother riding a bicycle at all. I would rather walk or ride a motor vehicle. If you don't share my experience you either ride specifically for the challenge, live in an area with no real hills or are a complete retard but most likely a combination of the three.

>>892253
I feel the same way. I think fixie hate meme was invented by the automobile industry to discourage cycling and a bunch of sheep for brains caught onto it. While I personally can't ride them, I feel unsafe on them, I have no problems with someone else who can and it's a helluva lot better than driving car that costs more to maintain than you yourself do.
>>
>>892775
1/10, made me r8
>>
>>892253

I'd rather have fat slobs in their homes than brakeless fixiefags causing accidents
>>
>>892775
>If you don't share my experience you either ride specifically for the challenge, live in an area with no real hills or are a complete retard but most likely a combination of the three.
Of they just like to get to places quicker than you, or just enjoy going fast, and the terrain they ride requires multiple gears.

I like to go fast and bomb down hills, but if I gear my bike high enough for that I'll end up with a low cadence on the flats, have trouble pulling away from a stop, and I'll have to get off and walk any hills that I can't momentum over (either too long or they don't have a fast enough approach). Part of riding fast is having the right cadence, it's more efficient and better for your body, and unless you live in flatlands that's physically impossible with just one gear.
>>
>>892796
Your daily reminder that fixed drivetrain and having brakes brakes are not mutually exclusive
>>
>>892864

Fixiefag implies brakeless. Then there's regular people who ride fixed gear bikes.
>>
File: 2015-10-27 11.28.55.jpg (1 MB, 2567x1947) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-27 11.28.55.jpg
1 MB, 2567x1947
I have a SS and a road bike. I think the simplicity is nice to have when you're just running around town, but if you want to race or go on group ride, a geared bicycle is nice too. Why not just enjoy both instead of demonizing the other?

1982 Trek 710 SS project that I ride as a beater to and from class with 700x30c nubby tires and 42/16t gearing. The terrain here is hilly and I don't mind it too much, but I do want to get a DRAM 2-speed automatix hub. Figure I'll throw a 23t on there, and when I wanna go faster, it'll switch gears that makes the gearing around 30% higher.

That being said, when it's a nice day out, I use my Scott Speedster 40 on the bike trails and just pedaling around town.
>>
>>892882
It's 4chan, we're all fags here in a way or other.
Fixiefag means the person on question rides a fixie
>>
File: 1429618499371.gif (1 MB, 292x323) Image search: [Google]
1429618499371.gif
1 MB, 292x323
>>892775
>I can literally get off my bicycle and hoof it over those hills 10x faster than I can shift down and go over them.

>If you don't share my experience you either ride specifically for the challenge, live in an area with no real hills or are a complete retard but most likely a combination of the three.

Nice contradictions there bro
>>
>>892849
>I like to go fast and bomb down hills, but if I gear my bike high enough for that I'll end up with a low cadence on the flats, have trouble pulling away from a stop, and I'll have to get off and walk any hills that I can't momentum over (either too long or they don't have a fast enough approach). Part of riding fast is having the right cadence, it's more efficient and better for your body, and unless you live in flatlands that's physically impossible with just one gear.
again this is describing a scenario i wouldn't bother cycling in. bunch of hills = no thanks. i have plenty of grades where i traverse but none of them involve gaining insane amounts of momentum down hill or worrying about making it up a hill. to do so would imply i was riding full bore and cared about shaving seconds of my time or something. i ride to commute and it feels good, nothing more.

>>892959
there's no contradiction there, bro. the fact i have experience in hilly terrains doesn't mean i ever encounter them on my commute.
>>
>>893049
>bunch of hills = no thanks. i have plenty of grades where i traverse but none of them involve gaining insane amounts of momentum down hill or worrying about making it up a hill
And that's all fine and dandy, but not everyone rides the same routes you do. I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again, I have no issue with single speed as I understand that for some people it is adequate, but it's not enough for everybody.

>to do so would imply i was riding full bore and cared about shaving seconds of my time or something. i ride to commute and it feels good, nothing more.
The majority of my riding is also commuting, the shorter I can make that journey with the least energy exerted the better. The main reason I commute by bike is because it's so quick, if I didn't care about that I'd just leave earlier and walk.

Also going fast is fun, that's not a hard thing to understand. One of the best parts of my ride home from work is pedalling like a mad man down the final hill and breaking the speed limit.
>>
>>893057
most of the hills where i live are, "suddenly uphill" so you don't get the funs of accelerating downhill first. in fact two of the places i lived had the most god awful up hill climbs with the downhill portion being really long and gradual. they were fun coming home but hell to ride up in any gear. going fast is fun but i've found traffic control to negate it often enough to trivialize having gears. there's also the fact my legs are often dead after lifting weights so i'm not looking to push my limits. the single speed i ride in is perfect. anyway i don't think you were the one spewing bullshit earlier so there's no argument.
>>
>>893072
>most of the hills where i live are, "suddenly uphill" so you don't get the funs of accelerating downhill first...they were fun coming home
Yeah, that's how hills work. You have to climb first if you want to go down them. Where I live there is an elevation change between my house and my place of work, climbing is unavoidable with it being uphill on the way to work and downhill coming home (if there was no/little elevation difference then I'd simply take the flattest route and save my energy). Yes, not everyone is in this situation, I get that.

>hell to ride up in any gear
Typically anything that sucks to ride up (with multiple gears) also sucks to walk up, even worse when pushing a bike up. The thing is the bike will be quicker unless you're running, more energy exerted than walking but you get to recover when you reach the top and get to ride on flat ground. As I've said it's a trade off for a shorter commute time.

> i don't think you were the one spewing bullshit earlier
Probably not. I'm understanding of single speeds, I see their purpose and have tried to use it. I'm also lucky (or unlucky) enough to ride in an area where the benefits of multiple speeds can be seen.
>>
>>893081
>Yeah, that's how hills work. You have to climb first if you want to go down them
You missed the point of that statement which was to clarify I'm not flying downhill then coming up. I'm starting on level ground then going up a ridiculous grade. I see most people walk their bikes up it and I live in a bike heavy town.

>Typically anything that sucks to ride up (with multiple gears) also sucks to walk up
That hasn't been my experience at all but then hiking is more natural to me than cycling, go figure.

>more energy exerted
And that's a more important feature to me as I'd rather exert less energy but again, I'd choose a different mode of transportation for hilly areas.
>>
File: Fixie 2 (2).jpg (242 KB, 940x705) Image search: [Google]
Fixie 2 (2).jpg
242 KB, 940x705
>>889865
I don't see why it should die, it's almost perfect as city bike and it's good for countries where there are almost no hill/mountains like the Netherlands. It's also a decent replacement for a road bike if you are have a small budget and don't mind going only a little bit slower.
>>
>>889866
You sound like a poos.
When I was a kid I never switched gears. rode up hills, and could pedal at 20mph with my favored gear set.
Kill yourself.
>>
>>895057

I respect simple bikes and clean lines. I live in the city and have a hardtail with slicks and a single speed with dual brakes. Brakeless Fixies although pragmatic are a fasion statement and they are dangerous. I already have had a friend die at roundabout because he just could not stop in time.
>>
>>889865
Fixies will never die but you will.
>>
>>889865
Why not get a single speed if you're going to be a faggot?
>>
>>895137

Not faggy enough
>>
>>895058
Good to see you never grew up.
>>
>>889865
By the looks of her legs I don't think she even rides that fixed gear bike or any bike at all.
>>
>>891045
You can get away with 48/17 in Wisconsin. 48/19 or 48/20 combinations are IMO better for areas with rolling hills - but you do trade away some top end speed.
>>
I love how there's so many morons living in levelgroundville. Towns have slopes and hills all the fucking time, I have a rise as soon as I leave home and a hill if I wanna go back home from the opposite side, I would fucking die if I was on a SS.
>>
File: 1442792356037.jpg (96 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1442792356037.jpg
96 KB, 900x900
>>892775
>fixie hate meme was invented by the automobile industry to discourage cycling and a bunch of sheep for brains caught onto it
>>
>>889865
>Will fixies ever die?
I've seen a few after they've gone under a truck, pretty unridable afterward. Does that count?
>>
>>889865
The term "fixie" is likely to die, once the current trend towards hipsters riding them fashionista style dies.
Fixed gear bikes will be around as long as there are velodromes.
>>
>>889965
Not gonna lie, I ride a fixie and I did take off the brakes but that's simply because I enjoy it! I didn't know it was hipster, just something about the minimalism draws me to them. I realize that there are better bikes but considering I live in the flattest place on fucking earth, it doesn't make much a difference. Tl;dr: not a hipster, but I'd buy a bike without brakes.
>>
File: A1UGvlb.jpg (136 KB, 640x625) Image search: [Google]
A1UGvlb.jpg
136 KB, 640x625
>>892913
This, so much this. Can't we all just get along without calling each other hipsters and faggots? Both are fine respectively
>>
>>892913
i really like your bike.
>>
>>889925
Unicycles are harder to ride and because of this would be an unfruitfull endeavor for the majority of the hipster population.
>>
>>897804
Most hipsters I see are usually pushing their fixies rather than riding them. They might even carry them like the girl in OP pic which might explain why none of them have any muscle mass in their legs or buttocks.
>>
>>897806
...And therefore, they are not ready for sustainable hardcore anal sex :V
>>
>>895083
>I already have had a friend die at roundabout because he just could not stop in time.

Sorry to hear that m8
>>
>>895058
>when i was a kid
and now you are a 40 year old sack of shit posting on a Vietnamese image board
>>
Speaking of fixies, there is a guy on Ebay who sells used Keirin frames out of Japan. They are pretty cheap and i thought about getting one, because i don't like to blast twice the money on an uglylooking frame for a bike i may never use. Does anyone have any experience with that?
>>
>>895058
>Brosifine

What the actual fuck. I don't actually know the trip or have any of the caps so I can't verify, but this is normally a guy who exclusively shitposts on /o/. To my knowledge, he would never admit to owning a bicycle.

....Were you pretending to be Brosifine on /o/ earlier, bro? Forgot to take off the trip and name when you came back here? Is that it? That must be it. God speed anon, that guy deserves whatever shit is flung his way.
>>
>>898691
They're cheap because they've been crashed on.
>>
>>898691
Check out njs exchange and similar websites. Lots of pics of frames and hella used njs parts from the keirin circuits
>>
File: NO FUN.jpg (31 KB, 425x450) Image search: [Google]
NO FUN.jpg
31 KB, 425x450
>this entire thread
>pic related

Friendly reminder that variable gears are for the elderly and coasting is lazy.
>>
>>889865
why do you even care in the first place?

stop being a cunt autist and ride your old steel 10 speed piece of garbage
>>
>>892775
this is one of the worst posts I have ever seen on post-nikolasv /n/
>>
>>890709
46x14 works really well for me. I dont have to crank too hard up hill, and i can still spin comfortably around 30
>>
>>890830
And look like a fucking bitch? Get gud faggot
>>
>be me
>2 years ago
>ridden all types of bicycles
>decide to try a fixie for shits and giggles
>convert my old Peugeot road bike
>keep the brakes on it though
>kinda fun
>surprisingly easy to get up all the hills in my town
>decide to test its versatility
>mount rack and fenders, go on 1 week camping trip through the Black Forest with a buddy on a 30-gear travel bike
>manage to keep up, and it's still fun
>afterwards leave it the way it is cause I have better stuff to do
>2 years later I still ride my fixie everywhere
>not because I'm a hipster or because it's better
>but because I'm too lazy to convert it back, and have no reason to.
>>
>>889865
no

even after the heat death of the universe, someone with a beard will be pedaling helplessly in the complete emptiness of space, and that will be the only matter that exists at all
>>
>>906531
7/10 blog post, please post more about your boring life
>>
File: 1408825726676.jpg (91 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
1408825726676.jpg
91 KB, 488x516
>ITT
>>
>>889867
You dont have to walk up hills if your not a bitch
>>
ur awesome bro
>>
>>889950
>Fixie riders enjoy riding fixies
you mean they enjoy taking pictures and color coordinating their bikes with their outfits so they can sit next to them at an outdoor cafe?
>>
>>889961
Who has a fixie for their only bike? It makes sense if you're a mesenger, but the only reason i bought a fixie is because i wanted a challenge and something to help me keep a good cadence over a long distace. Also safely riding brakeless is a lot easier than people make it out to be, they just have pussy legs.
>>
>>907679
>Who has a fixie for their only bike?
most faggots on fixies.
>It makes sense if you're a mesenger
but why?
>safely riding brakeless
no such thing. there will never be a case when you could stop better without brakes.
>>
>>891028
Fuck you that hat is based. I'd wear while fucking you and your entire family. It's that based. So based you'd suck its dicks. All of them.
>>
>>907679
My fixie is my only bike but i want to get another one

i am delivery for JJ's. I had two breaks, now i have one because of a accident. I also have drops and hoods so i have plenty of positions

i'm hoping to get a good al road bike with good shifters. Chicago is kinda flat but my delivery area is 100% flat.
>>
>>891002
Why are you so mad about fixed gear bikes? To built a top shelf fixed gear you can spend 1200 bucks, a top of the line road bike is 10x that. Fixed geared bikes are fun, you can slide them, track stand, and they're super simple to maintain. There's nothing wrong with them.
>>
>>908543
>12k roadbike

Opinion discarded
>>
>>908543
you can slide and track stand on a real bike too, though. you're just not limited to a single gear ratio.
>>
>>908556
I specified top of the line.
>>908583
Can you track stand w/ 1 foot and no hands?
>>
>>908665

No, but since I'm not a clown I don't have the need to.
>>
>>908543
hahaha, tarck bieks can easily get as expensive as road bikes. You can build a Pinarello MAAT 60.1 that tops $10K.
>>
>>908672
Yeah but an equivalent road bike is how much? be honest m8.
>>
>>908682
About the same. The MAAT 60.1 frameset alone is $8500. It's trivial to push a full build to $15K. A Dogma F8 frameset is around $6K. I'm sure you could push the total price a bit higher by using Super Record EPS or some really exotic wheels.
>>
File: a7_b.jpg (440 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
a7_b.jpg
440 KB, 1024x683
Gears are a pain in the ass, you can only change gears when you are moving. Its a waste of time to change gears, you have to go through about 3 gears to go from stop to normal riding speed, it only takes a couple of seconds longer to accelerate on a single speed. If you live in a flat area there is no need for gears. If you live in an area with wide open spaces where you dont have to stop/start all the time there is no need for gears. Even if you do need to stop/start a lot like in a crowded city a fixed gear bike will be less of a hassle and you can keep your mind more on riding and not watching what gear you are in. People on /n/ who are anti-fixie are urban white trash who have no athletic ability and try and trash everything they dont understand or dont excel in. Fixies are fun, fixies are not just for going from A to B, they are for people who actually enjoy riding. Fixie-haters can lick my ass
>>
Low end for a decent road bike is about $750
Low end for a decent track bike is about $550

admittedly brands like Bianchi and Cinelli overcharge for track bikes, but you should really should pay $200 less than the comparable road bike since its only missing the front/rear derailleur
>>
>>908719
tldr
i suspect gr8 b8 tho ?
>>
>>908719
I like to haul cargo, ride over 40 miles at a time, do long descents, and hit dirt roads on my bc, anon.
When was the last time you did that on your fixie? Please provide pics.
>>
>>908730
>>908756
Im NOT against road bikes, I love road bikes and use road bikes in hilly terain. But you people are idiots to think fixed gear cant go long distances, thats what fixed gear excels at, long distance cruising
>>
>>908770
you only need the highest gear on a road bike for cruising speed, all the lower gears are for hills or accelerating. Youre a raging Fred, you dont know shit about what is actually needed on a road bike
>>
>be a little tired at mile 45 of a ride
>not trying to burn myself out as I still have a few miles left to go
>cruising along at 17-18 mph
>suddenly a hippy on a fixie passes me
>well aint that some shit
>follow along for about a half mile
>slightest little incline, cant even call it a hill more of a large speed bump
>fixie cant hold speed and I have to slow t his speed because its unsafe to pass
>stuck at 10mph until it is clear to pass
>shift through gears and get back up to speed
>look behind and see dirty hippy still hasnt gotten up to speed again.
>>
>>908774
please provide me a map of a route anywhere in the world that is 40 miles long and nearly flat the whole way.

Hard mode: somewhere worth living.
>>
>>908777
I lived 2 years in Silicon Valley till very recently. All flat, bike lanes on every major street, year round biking weather, its bike heaven. I road from SF to Palo Alto on a fixie.
>>
>>908781
>Are there routes there that are 40 miles long?
As I mentioned, most major streets have bike lanes so you are not confined to routes.
http://www.meetup.com/bikethebaycycists/events/220243581/
>>
>>908784
>riding a fixie in SF
have you ever been there m90?
>>
>>908784
also, literally a route along the coast line
you might as well be riding the strand trail on a beach cruiser.
come to think of it, you're whole tirade can be applied to beach cruisers without batting an eye.
>>
>>908793
>have you ever been there m90?
yes of course, SF is actually an awesome place to ride a bike, downtown has very wide bike lanes on each side of the streets, it is awesome to cruise down market street on a bike with the huge building on each side, you cant get a ride like that in any other major city in the world

>>908794
the path on the bay coast along is really nice and underutilized, I highly recommend it as one of the best rides on the peninsula
>>
>>893049
You're just fucking lazy- this is all I read. "Hill make me sad, and stuff (Napoleon Dynomite sigh), if it's bigger than a speed bump, it's just too much effort, I'm already peddaling it! what do you want from me? blah blah blah..."
>>
>>896942
Right, Louisville, ky is pretty hilly. But around my apartment complex, you can't get near it without going under a train bridge, and two of them are pretty long. It sucks ass if we get enough rain, and all of them flood. I was towing a bmx bike once, and was like fuck it; it's this flooded pass, or another one.
>>
>>889865
people know that fixed gears were around before geared bikes right? in fact, gears weren't allowed in the Tour de France until 1937, long after they were available to the public.
>>
>>897228
Exactly. We need to just get out there and ride.

However, I think the problem is people, not bikes.

I've met a slew of cyclists, and for the most part, fixie riders tend to be more pretentious. So are velominati whores, mind you, but they're a little less obvious in real life conversation. I've worked with and met so many cyclists in my life, and it's the several hipster fixie riders (and one carbon rider) who have straight up chirped other people's rides for no reason, often ride like assholes, and are generally full of shit in terms of personality. They're giving themselves the bad name and it's being associated with their choice in bike.
>>
>>908777

>thinks you need to live somewhere nice to ride bikes

Just shut the fuck up please
>>
>>908777
Pretty much whole of the Netherlands and big parts of Flanders
>>
>ITT old bikers and road freds rage over people riding bikes

Fixies are fun if you don't like them don't ride them you faggots idgi
>>
>Just out of highschool
>Got a job over the summer
>Decide to ride bike 10 miles to go to work
>Never seriously road a bike before
>Had'nt ridden a bike at all in years
>Borrow brother's bike
>Bike a little old
>Gears don't work well
>I don't know how to fix it, end up just riding on one gear
>Every day 9 steep uphill segments and 9 steep downhill segments
>One gear
>21 speed bike

>Few weeks in bike has problems
>Brakes stop working
>friend knows bikes better
>Get friend over to look at it
>friend fixes gears

When suddenly I had all the range from those gears, it was amazing. But on one gear you can do a lot if you try. When I think about it riding that bike was really scary, it was out of repair for years and every week it seemed there were more problems, and I knew very little about how to deal with any of it. I have scars on both my knees, one shoulder, and my lower left leg from just that summer. But I always was able to walk away, even if it meant limping four hours home pushing a bike with a wrecked tyre.
>>
>>908774
>he doesn't know about wind or recovery days.
>>
>>908719

>track drops and two cross levers.

get some proper road drops or a flat/riser cockpit or ditch the brakes. Track drops are for the track.
>>
Fixsters are delusional. A large chunk of them probably barely rides 30kM a week.
>>
>>910844
>Track drops are for the track.
So is a fixed gear bike.
>>
>>910844
>Track drops are for the track.
Well put Fred
>>
>>910857
What the fuck is a km?
>>
>>910997

A unit used in the first world, you wouldn't know about it.
>>
File: 1394535606074.png (419 KB, 1100x650) Image search: [Google]
1394535606074.png
419 KB, 1100x650
>>890843
>if the terrain requires more than a single speed i'd rather be in a motorized vehicle
Are you serious?
If you live in San Francisco or an equally fucked geographical area, I understand.
But how weak do you have to be?
>>
>>910997
>Not understanding SI prefixes and unit symbols
Boy are you in for a treat: read the SI Brochure, it will change the way you see the world.
>>
>>889865
how do "fixies" bother you, dumdum?
>>
>>889866
I ride mountain canyons on a ~48:17 fixed. Maybe a fixed can't climb the alps but they can climb the rockies just fine.
>>TLDR; If you think fixed bikes can't climb your a fat fuck and should get it together or an hero.
>>
>>895057
Finally, a bike with a decent gear ratio.
>>
>>889865
like if u support more girls wearing teeny shorts
>>
>>907864
>>It makes sense if you're a mesenger
>but why?

Deraileurs fail, adds time to your delivery
>>
>>915483
You know bike can have a freewheel and no derailleur.
>>
>>915750
Freewheels actually can fail in freezing weather, or extremely poor maintenance.
>>
>>915483
so much fucking nonsense.
>>
>>915751
well, just do the maintenance.

and
>fail in freezing weather
no

i suspect the reason for riding fixed rather than fw has to do with mad skidz fama
>>
>>915751
>freewheels can fail in freezing weather

I commuted in Minneapolis by bike for years. Most recently, from 2005 until I moved out in 2013, my bike had a Deore XT M737 rear hub - NOS from 1995 or so. Never gave me a moment of trouble on even the coldest days, with minimal maintenance.

>or with poor maintenance

"Boo hoo I didn't take care of my stuff so it broke" is not an excuse - doubly so when it's something that's critical for your livelihood.
>>
File: heysweetcheeks.jpg (157 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
heysweetcheeks.jpg
157 KB, 600x399
ITT: A bunch of literal faggots and useless kiddie shittalkers with fuckall legit cred.

Arguing about gearing. Pfffft

You're all pathetic and know zeropointzero about cycling.

This thread is worse than the LBS hate thread.
>>
>>908719

I can go a lot faster in the completely flat city of philadelphia with gears. Starting slow from a complete stop pisses off cars and puts you in danger (more people trying to pass you on 1 lane streets).

Gears are essential for a fast start + minimal cars attempting to overtake you on narrow city streets

>inb4 take the center lane. You don't know Philly
>>
>>915483

Most bad-ass, long term messenger in Philly I notice is an asian dude rocking STI. I think he might even have a crabon fork. How has it not exploded beneath him yet? Kill both him, several pedestrians, and costing him his job because a $10 legal document did not make it to Seymour & Braumburg & Silvermann's Law Office in less than 15 minutes
>>
>>889865
Well, I sure know this thread won't kek
>>
>>897064
>The term "fixie" is likely to die, once the current trend towards hipsters riding them fashionista style dies.
Riding fixies to attract the sex partners.
No different than rollerblades and more recently "hoverboards".
>Fixed gear bikes will be around as long as there are velodromes.
So much cycling in Northern California, not many velodromes.
>>
>>889865
never
>>
truth is, a fixed gear with front brake is GOAT city commuting bike. light, reliable and safe

I used to commute with a OTS until I realized I changed gears literally never in the city and the rear break was mostly useless
>>
>>919369
Funny, the exact opposite for me. I bought into Sheldon's bait about how fixies are great for commuting. Commuted for years and my knees were in constant pain. Now I ride a touring bike and my knees feel great.

Then again my city has hills, YMMV.
>>
>>897228
NO! No man, NO!
We must HATE!
We must be entitled to dictater other people and judge them harshly because REASONS!

this is 4chan! Normies get out reeeeEEEEEE
>>
>>915786
LOL. extremely underrated post, to be quite brutally fucking honest, mi familia.
>>
>>922943
Is there any logical reason why you would fucking say that post is underrated? Has anybody expressed any kind of dissatisfaction or criticism at all against it? Are you delusional? Are you reading replies that are nonexistant? Maybe you come from communities with voting systems, but there is literally no way that you could know what other people think of that post you just replied to here. Maybe it's psychological. Maybe it's your own post you're replying to, like a 12 year old fucktard liking his own facebook posts thinking his swelling autism is going unnoticed. Maybe your self esteem depends on you tricking yourself into thinking someone out there thinks your post is worth something. Or maybe you are just a retard, the worst kind of retard, the one who thinks he's smart, the one who thinks he's the only one to have gotten the joke, to have understood the post. Well, guess what, faggot, that post is by no definition underrated so why don't you do the world a favour and go check out what the bottom of your toilet smells like?
>>
>>891234
>im pretty sure i could beat the fuck out of you
>so drop the internet tough guy act

How is it possible to be this unaware?
>>
>>923109
underrated post.
>>
File: 7499317_orig.jpg (193 KB, 1066x800) Image search: [Google]
7499317_orig.jpg
193 KB, 1066x800
>>923109
highly underrated post

also bump for trainfags

and princess whitney for that creepy guy who thinks he's going to marry the princess and has a hissy fit each time she's posted
>>
>this thread is from fuckin 2015

aaah the joys of /n/
>>
>>923388
It's only a few months old... We've had multiple year threads before.
Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.