[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm thinking about buying a steel frame with a 1"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: sinbao.jpg (477 KB, 750x1430) Image search: [Google]
sinbao.jpg
477 KB, 750x1430
So I'm thinking about buying a steel frame with a 1" steerer standard size tubing, and I'm a bit torn on weather to buy the threaded one or the threadless one.

Threadless -
Pros: Stiffer, lighter, more stem options, more bar options, lower stack
Cons: Oversize stems and bars might look weird and cutting the steerer

Threaded -
Pros: It matches better, and you don't have to cut the matching fork
Cons: It's clunkier and worse in every performance metric

If I go threaded, the bar is going to be higher than I normally ride, but I like the color better, and I don't have to worry about cutting the matching fork too short for the future, and aesthetically it should look better. I'm torn on this one.
>>
I would go quill with 1" - threadless with 1 1/8"

> if 1" threadless you'll have to use a shim
> or get a 26.0 clamping 1" threadless stem on ebay (limited choices) (and limited bar selection)

The real question is why are you even buying a new frame in 1" if you think you want threadless

Also, is quill really worse? If you know your fit, you won't have to fuck around with trying out different stems, building will be okay.

And if you're not racing who cares. A little stem flex can be /comfy/
>>
>>931184
Because the frame looks so good. Yes quill is worse. It's not as stiff, it's heavier, the stack height is higher, and the headsets need more maintenance. Stem is not where you want flex.
>>
Lugged frames should have quill stems
I don't know why you're so worried about some minor performance difference on a random steel frame.
>>
>>931150

1" headtubes are my personal nightmare.

but

do whatevs, mang
>>
>>931206
Because my stack.
>>
The thing that makes the description so hard is the shift cable stops. If it had DT stops, I would get quill stem, but the frame requires shifters on the bars, and shifters on the bars work best with modern bars, and modern bars work best with modern stems.

Threadless w/o spacers, gets my stack, looks decent, no adjustability

Threadless w/ spacers on bottom, looks decent, adjustability options, high stack

Threadless w/ spacers on top, look god damn awful, adjustability options, low stack

Threaded w/ low stack steel headset, looks good, adjustability options, medium stack, no option to upgrade headset, only 26mm bars

Threaded w/ cartridge bearing headset, looks good, adjustability options, high stack, durable headset, only 26mm bars
>>
>>931243
maybe you should just buy a bike
>>
Quill stems are one of the last things I would want on a new bike.
>>
>2016
>wanting to fuck with 1'' shit

Quill stems are complete garbage for reasons I'm too lazy to get into. You're going to eat shit if that one quill stem bolt slips or fails for one. Are you going to run a cotter pin crank too?
>>
>>931862
>if that one quill stem bolt slips or fails for one.
Has this ever happened in the history of cycling?
>>
>>931866

I bet it has. I used to get slippage on my quill stems and sometimes still do on my beater bikes. Most bikes old enough to use it are probably rusted in place by now.
>>
>>931243
Nigga either eBay an old clamp-on DT shifter set or get barcons
>>
>>931866
Unless I forgot to tighten my stem, I've never had a stem slip.
>>
File: SINTESI-0387.jpg (2 MB, 4096x2731) Image search: [Google]
SINTESI-0387.jpg
2 MB, 4096x2731
>>931879
>Nigga either eBay an old clamp-on DT shifter set
That is hideously ugly. The frame is being bought 99% for vanity purposes.

>get barcons
muh knees
>>
File: fuuuuuuark.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
fuuuuuuark.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>931862
>tightening a bolt is hard
yo I know that a lotta cyclists have an upper body strength problem but come on

anyway opie you should just avoid the whole "vintage" steel bike thing and put your money towards a venge or a cipo nk1k or something. i think your mind just ain't in the right place for steel is reel.

or maybe you could do pic related and shave your monobrow with the front tire idk
>>
>>931150
>1"
>standard
Pick one

Be a grown up and go for a 1" 1/8 headset.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.