[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I bought this. It's a bicycle from the 90's. The original
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8
I bought this. It's a bicycle from the 90's. The original finish is ruined, the hub bearings are shot. There's this black crust everywhere that I may be able to remove with paint thinner and a brass brush.

I think I'll change the wheels, probably the hubs too if the cups are too damaged.

I'm going to strip all the paint and refinish it.

What color should I spray paint this bicycle?
>>
Hi-viz yellow
>>
File: 7276314114_5da5ca6047.jpg (191 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
7276314114_5da5ca6047.jpg
191 KB, 500x477
>>908372

I thought about a quirky color like that, but that would be too much of an eye sore, so instead I'll refinish it in a faux-retro style, kinda like this.

I bought paint stripping gel. I should have researched the subject a lot more before starting this, because you can't use nitrile gloves. The paint stripper will melt them and it burns like liquid hell if even a tiny droplet stouches your skin. I managed to strip the paint off the fork completely and coat it with primer, but I'll wait until I get proper neoprene gloves and a respirator to do the rest of the frame.

The wheels are ancient stainless steel rims someone spray painted black. They've got to go. I'm not going to fix the hubs. I'll replace them with nice and shiny modern aluminum hubs. I'll also get aluminum rims and stainless steel spokes. I'll get rid of the crankset. Swap the stem for an aluminum quill and the handlebar for a polished aluminum one, maybe like the one on linus bicycles.

By the way, I could replace the wheels with 700c and fit road bike brakes on them if I wanted to, but I already bought 26x1 1/2 slicks. This bicycle is going to look so cool and fake retro hipster-ish.
>>
>>908467
youre best bet is to take it to a radiator shop and have them dunk it in the tank, it'll strip all the paint off.
>>
>>908468
they dip it in caustic soda. shit is magical. takes 5 minutes
>>
>>908470
It also dissolves people and I have no radiator shops nearby. The neoprene gloves are like really cheap, so I'll go with that.
>>
>>908467
wait, holy fuck, you sound like a retard
just stop.
that bikes already an eye sore
paint stripper isn't that painful
you don't need a respirator you little bitch
the rims are not stainless steel, I guarantee it.
there's probably nothing wrong with that crankset.
some steel quill stems are lovely, but yours sucks because it's also the cable hanger.
linus bikes is a backwards ass brand for morons
don't replace the wheel size, bikes aren't built like that.
your bike is always going to look like garbage, and fake hipster retro-ish shit is foolish.
you're going to spend so much time and money rebuilding that bike, that you're really better off buying a 600 dollar jamis and never looking back.
>>
>>908471
yeah, please just leave, the several hours you're going to spend fretting over your lead sled isn't worth the 20$ and 5 minutes the radiator shop will take.
You're also acting like the radiator shop doesn't know how to handle caustic soda and they'll hand it back to you with gallons of the stuff pouring on you out of the tubes.
>>
File: 26 incher.jpg (114 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
26 incher.jpg
114 KB, 800x600
>>908472

>you don't need a respirator you little bitch

Dichloromethane is toxic, so yes I do.

>the rims are not stainless steel, I guarantee it.

I'll find a magnet and prove that they're stainless steel.

>there's probably nothing wrong with that crankset.

It's not shiny and silvery

>some steel quill stems are lovely, but yours sucks because it's also the cable hanger.

I'll get one if I can find one, but polished aluminum ones also look good.

>linus bikes is a backwards ass brand for morons

Nobody asked you

>don't replace the wheel size, bikes aren't built like that.

People replace 26 inch wheels with 700c all the time (see pic related). Get over it.

>your bike is always going to look like garbage, and fake hipster retro-ish shit is foolish.
>you're going to spend so much time and money rebuilding that bike, that you're really better off buying a 600 dollar jamis and never looking back.

Yes but it is fun to learn something new, if you don't enjoy learning new stuff aren't there truck wheels you need to be under or something like that? Oh, I forgot /n/ was a consumer board just like /g/. Should have tried /diy/ instead.
>>
>>908474

You're the one that isn't contributing anything to the thread other than being an annoying moron, so maybe the leaving should be done by you
>>
>>908475
Don't huff the paint thinner, simply use it in a well ventilated area, preferably outside. Better yet, for you, try huffing it.
Those rims are probably chromed, if not actual aluminium, dum-dumb.
not everything has to be shiny, you fashion victim.
I'm informing you about linus bikes, and if you didn't want my opinion you probably should have not shared yours on an anonymous caligraphy imageboard.
People can and do replace their wheel size, but it's a fools errand. The picture you're sharing is also a bottom tier grocery store mongoose. It's not something worth admiring.
While it is fun, to learn something new, please do it the right way, so you actually learn something worth while.
Even a 600 dollar jamis would allow you to learn about contemporary bikes and all the new fangled tech we've come up with to make them more comfy.

And yes please, go to /diy/ and take your projecting asinine attitude and your fat shiny shopping list with you, you consumerist whore.
>>
>>908476
>isn't contributing anything to the thread
>is attempting to help a newfag avoid a ton of headache and financial loss
yeah, those are completely separate activities, but I can see how you might confuse the two.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1450831256762.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1450831256762.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
The bicycle is already disassembled. I'm going to throw so much stuff away, but it's the knowledge that counts.
>>
File: IMG_20151222_230405254.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151222_230405254.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
This little oven magnet sticks to the rim. Do you know what this means? It's a steel rim.
>>
>>908483
C H R O M E
H
R
O
M
E

Not stainless steel.
Doggy, the fact that your 90s bike has chrome rims is concerning. It's a low quality ATB that I wouldn't even suggest a poor Mexican dishwasher use to ride to work.
And no its not the knowledge that counts. I could shoot myself in the foot for the new found knowledge if what that experience is like, and an up close meeting with my phalanges, but that still doesn't make it a good idea.
>>
>>908486
Stainless steel is just steel that has 10% chromium to prevent corrosion. If this was just chrome plated the plating would have worn out a long time ago due to... being worn down by the brake pads. Doesn't matter, I won't keep them.
>>
>>908486
Also, did I mention the bike is over 20 years old? It's built well. There are no cracks on the frame. It's probably Hi ten steel, but it was made before good quality imported bikes were available in this country. It was a good bike when it was made and the rear derailleur worked well even covered in grime.
>>
>>908488
Yeah, please don't pretend like you know what you're talking about.
That's not how metal works.
>>
>>908489
>over 20 years old
>before good quality parts
>works well
Nigger, I have a first gen stump jumper I got on Craig's for 100 bucks, it rides like a dream and came with aluminium rims. All original, runs like a champ too.
It's over 30 years old.
You're so fucking full of yourself you can't take good advice when you hear it.
>>
>>908492
nigger I still have in my moms basement a 68 schwinn bmx bike that I got for $25 at a garage sale in the mid 90's. Its pretty much trashed and in pieces though.
>>
>>908490
It is how chrome plating works. Sand gets on the brake pads and scratches it. Repeat over the course of 20 years and only the steel under it will remain.

>>908492
You do realize I'm not in 'murica, do you?
>>
>>908494
lolwut
>>
>>908495
Yeah, sure, you've got the basic concept right, but if you think that bikes been ridden enough to merit swaping the brake shoes, let alone wear the rims, you're mistaken.
Let alone, that chrome is much harder than aluminium and doesn't wear the same.

Sure, you're not in America, but that doesn't give you an excuse to act retarded.
>>
>>908492
>all craigslist is the same
Try not living in the deep south, you'll find that valuable things actually sell for higher prices. Also "concerning" does not mean what you think it means.
>>
File: 1450834798699920134171.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
1450834798699920134171.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>908498
Look at this picture. This rim had grooves all around when it was new. Do you know why some parts of it are shiny and smooth now? Because dirt acts as an abrasive and the brake shoes worn the stainless steel rims over time.
>>
>>908499
>he thinks I don't ride the stumpy with in view of the ocean regularly in the state that invented MTB

>>908500
Say what ever you want bucco, still not stainless. Stainless is actually much less magnetic than typical steel.
>>
>>908502
Only some alloys of stainless steel are less magnetic. Not all of them.
>>
>>908502
California is a big state, cager culture there is militant as fuck. I can understand why bikes would have no value in some areas.
>>
File: 7-segment_finished.jpg (50 KB, 614x350) Image search: [Google]
7-segment_finished.jpg
50 KB, 614x350
By the way, I'll also build a 7 segment speedometer with an atmega microcontroller. I'll put it inside an altoids can, encase it in clear epoxy and put a few gaskets on the can to make it waterproof. It will look retro as fuck.
>>
>>908511
I hope you're white, otherwise enjoy your one-way trip to Camp XRay
>>
>>908512
Why?
>>
>>908517
>bernie sanders supporter calling out liberals

Oh boy
>>
>>908517
>>908519
>angry middle aged white blowhard with a camera
>I used to be a liberal but
that's what they all say
>>
>>908503
>>908507
>this much hopeful thinking.
>>
>>908513
Is that a 18650 capacity tester and if so where do i get one
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.