[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bike and Ride Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: bike_on_bus_kerry.jpg (316 KB, 2218x1748) Image search: [Google]
bike_on_bus_kerry.jpg
316 KB, 2218x1748
This looks like it could actually be a lot of fun.
I just moved to Denver and have never lived in a city before.
Is this actually viable?
Any pitfalls ?
Anyone have tips for doing this effectively?
Is there an app ?
>>
>>965062

>riding the bus
>fun

It's slow and you have to spend time around people, most of whom are shitty in some way that they make as obvious as possible.

If you are a young & inexperienced person you might think of a bus ride across the city as an "adventure", in which case it might be occasionally amusing.

Personally, I'd rather just bike out to a new trailhead.

>It's too far

Nah.
>>
>>965062
for public transportation just use Google maps, always stay with your bike if it's not a beater, change of clothes if you're going somewhere.

if bus coverage is good you could just use it as backup/nighttime
>>
>>965062
I've done it once or twice. they have it here in Atlanta, but usually it's just easier to ride anywhere that I'd take a bus since they're so slow and infrequent. They also allow us to take bikes on trains here, though, which are fast and go far, so I've done that a lot.

the bike rack thing on the bus is really well designed. really self-explanatory and stable, I was impressed.
>>
File: c8t2u4U.jpg (122 KB, 338x485) Image search: [Google]
c8t2u4U.jpg
122 KB, 338x485
>Buy bicycle to bike places instead of using boogey man large carbon footprint fossil fuels

>realize you have to burn 5 calories to pedal so stick bike on bus bike rack
>>
>>965062
Waterloo region busses all have this, which is great because the bus routes here blow.

I like it because I can save time taking the express bus when it's dark/snowing/raining.

The most important thing is that you never have to take the shitty last-mile loops or deal with late busses.

Plus you can read a book while you bus intercity or whatever.

Also handy if you want a way to avoid suicidal stretches of the road.
>>
File: denverisbikefriendly.png (509 KB, 797x734) Image search: [Google]
denverisbikefriendly.png
509 KB, 797x734
>>965062
have you even looked at all the trails here?

Also go To the RTD website and it cn show you the easiest ways to use the bus system and light rail.. I dont actually use either because I own a car or ride my bike because you can go damn near anywhere in town using the bike trails here.

Pic related: Green = bike friendly routes.
>>
>>965062
I'd like to have those bike racks in Finland but because muh security and EU laws it would be impossible.
>>
>>965391
Around here, people actually ride their bikes, so no need to install battering rams into our buses.
>>
>>965391
?
>>
>>965391
>mfw europoors don't have bike racks on their buses
>>
>>965258
That is a pretty cool map.
I do plan on exploring the city bike trails but want to stay off of the major thoroughfares
>>
>>965511
google maps... select bicycling and it pops up...

what area are you in? I am up in Thornton/ North Denver area
>>
>>965062
I mean, i wouldnt call it fun, but its certainly viable, and a big lifesaver if you get caught far from home with a flat and no spare tube.
>>
>>965631
I really dont get how people can ride any real distance without a tube and patch kit. I carry 2 tubes and a patch kit and pump.

I mean I guess you could have a miserable day and have a nasty gash on the tire itself and have to limp it home somehow and keep trying to repair until you just ran out...

I dont understand the shear irresponsible behavior of a few individuals.
>>
>>965632

Ultimate worst case scenario: I walk
Who gives a fuck?

>I guess you could have a miserable day

How does walking ten or fifteen miles along a pretty nice route equate to having a miserable day?
>>
>>965632
good for you fred
>>
>>965644
Walking a bike rolling on it's rim for ten miles is no fun.
>>
>>965658

I've done 20 mile walkouts.
It's really no big deal.
>>
>>965660
thats irresponsible
>>
>>965663

You're a bitch senpai.
>>
>>965660
I've done 10 km and it's no fun.

Wait, what's a 'walkout'?
>>
>>965658
I just ride on my flat tire very carefully
>>
>>965667
That doesn't sound fun either. And terrible for the rim.
>>
File: choice-5558cbb9cb063-default.jpg (19 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
choice-5558cbb9cb063-default.jpg
19 KB, 225x225
>>965665
>>
>>965670
>terrible for the rim
that's why i said very carefully
>>
>>965670
its irresponsible is what it is
>>
>>965663

Please, enlighten me. How is it irresponsible?
Or do you just not know what words mean?
>>
>>965672
Yeah, i heard you. My statement still stands.
>>
>>965674
that's ignorant, you're being ignorant
>>
>>965062
Seattlefag here. Our city is super hilly and I'm lazy so I take the express bus downtown every day. Bike plus bus in Seattle is near god-mode transportation. The only extra key is the electric bike.
>>
>>965681
In denver I do think think they allow electric bikes onna bus
>>
The Denver area has lots of exclusive bike trails and more are opening up. As an example, when they rebuilt US-36 to Boulder, they included a separate bike trail for the entire distance. They are currently working on a trail all the way from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (near DIA) to Rocky Flats. However, some people insist on riding narrow mountain roads,. which can be extremely dangerous. Accidents are not always the fault of the driver. For instance, this idiot:
http://kdvr.com/2016/03/16/former-pro-cyclist-in-serious-condition-after-losing-arm-in-bike-crash-on-flagstaff-mountain/
>>
>>965660
you dont have any friends ho could pick you up?..

why am I even asking no of course you dont and probably too poor to call a cab too.
>>
I live in Boston, I use these if I've met up with people, it's raining, or if I get a flat. They're useful but i always worry when I use it.
If you have to use it try to use the back spot first, i feel like it might be safer and it makes it easier if someone else tries to use the rack.
also idk about yall but the transit employees for the MBTA are not allowed to help you in any way when using it because then the drivers or station workers become liable should anything occur.
>>
>>965681
Fucking pussy. I ride my single speed down denny while singing ira battle songs

Get rickity rickety rekt sucka
>>
>>966184
Btw if you see me please scream out BIKE POWER and throw up a hitler salute. Its a thing now. I can get you a
>>
>>966103
>but i always worry when I use it.
why?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.