[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going Fred.. and I'm ok with that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: edge520_OF_2002_KOM.jpg (92 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
edge520_OF_2002_KOM.jpg
92 KB, 791x1200
So I want to start tracking some data and have it all work with strava... google really isnt revealing the info I would like.

I want speed, cadence, heart rate and power all recorded.

After looking around the garmin edge 520 will do all these things with some add-ons.

I am trying to find the cheapest way of doing all this.. So that brings me here, as I figure someone here is probably already running a similar setup.

Thanks in advance
>>
520 is a good choice.

Though the most expensive of those "add-ons" will be the power meter. The handlebar mounted Powerpod is $300 and they go up from there depending whether you want one built into a wheel, single leg / both leg crank based. Most power meters are effectively tied to a single bike.
>>
>>963197
yeah I am still looking. The 520 "bundle" will handle speed, cadence, and heart rate for about $400.

I dont really understand how a power meter can work from the handle bars... got any info on this?
>>
>>963202
It pairs with your cadence / speed sensors and has its own air pressure and accelerometers. So it can determine ground speed vs air speed, how much bike is rocking side to side, forward / back, rate of climbing. Then it does a bunch of calculations on that data to come up with a power number.

There are limitations, its meant for road use so going mountain biking with it probably wouldn't provide reliable data. It even has trouble with cobbled roads. Gravel roads might also throw it off. But you can move it between bikes which is nice.

Detailed writeup on it here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powerpod-depth-review.html
>>
you can get a refurb 800 for like $150- its cheaper and better than the 520
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Bryton-Rider-Cycling-Computer-display/dp/B01682LDTK?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Everything except power for under 150.

I bought the model with cadence, and it works pretty well. Battery life isnt close to 32 hours though, more like low 20s.
>>
Stop riding then just make up numbers for everything, multiply by the distance you rode (0) and you have your perfectly accurate results. Then you get to be the Fred you dream of being.
>>
>>963249
>barely over 20 hours
That's not even enough for a single ride, what the actual fuck?
>>
>>963253

I know right
>>
Don't buy the Bryton shit that dude recommended. I'd say you should go for the polar m450. Reliable ,doesn't have a map and it tracks everything you need accurately. You can upload to strava aswell.
>>
>>963213
wow that is a long write up... seems like it might be a viable solution as I dont ride off road that often and have a CX bike for when I really do, I wont put anything nice on that bike as I tend to get into areas where I crash from time to time while dodging trees, sand, bushes and small cliffs.
>>
>>963378

>Polar
>no ant+

Hmm
>>
>hur cant get nice stuff or the internet will think im a "fred"
>>
>>963733
nah dude I just said fred because I know for my actual riding ability and lack of training I will do means all the gizmos will more or less be useless. The only thing I really need besides speed and distance is heartrate just so I can make sure I dont over work myself... which my fitbit can do if I just check it from time to time. I want cadence and a power meter just because I like having gizmos and thats what would make me more of a fred.. plus I would be putting it on a bike that probably isnt worth it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.