[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Tremendously influential albums that musicians love but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (197 KB, 1335x1233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197 KB, 1335x1233
ITT: Tremendously influential albums that musicians love but rarely get talked about by most everyone else.
>>
So the guy that sang on the pink floyd album actually made an influential album in your opinion?
Care to explain why is that album so influential? What does listening to it makes you feel?
>>
Fucking masterpiece, so many great moments

>AND YOU CAN LEAD A MAN TO SLAUGHTEEEEEEEEEEEEER
>BUT YOU'RE NEEEEVER GONNA MAKE HIM THINK

>LOUD AND CLEEEEAR IS THE CAAALL IN BLACK AND WHIIIIITE ACROSS YOUR WALL
>AND DAMN IT ALL, MAAAAAAAAN
>CAN'T YOU SEEEEEEEEEE

>AND YOU TELL ME THAT GRANDDAAAAAAAD WAS A HEEEEEROOOOO
>HOW HE FOUGHT FOR PEEEEACE AND NO MOOORE GUUUUUUNS
>BUT YOU KNOW I THINK YOU MUST HAVE CHAAAANGED HIS NAME TO NEEEEROOOOO
>YOU SEE CAUSE EEEEEEVERY TIME HE GRUNTS, HE KILLS HIS SOOOOOOONS

>DEAD ON ARRIVAAAAAAL RIIIIGHT WHEEEEERE I STAND
>>
>>64785025
Albums by Fleet Foxes and Joanna Newsom and the like might not even exist without this album, and Zeppelin jacked his swag all the time on their acoustic songs
>>
>>64785025
I'm about to do a sales pitch so I can't go too in depth, but to superficially touch the subject, his dramatic and lengthy songwriting style and musical compositions have been imitated by musicians decades after, and this album in particular is often mentioned as a popular influence on many ambitious singer-songwriter/folk albums even today. People like Joanna Newsom and Robin Pecknold of Fleet Foxes cite him as a major inspiration and source of style.

Even better answer, give it a listen man. Is not what you're expecting it to be, I guarantee it.
>>
>>64785114
it got me curious, because it was the first time i see roy harper and influential paired with each other. I will give it a go.
>>
La bumpe
>>
>>64784963
There's a whole category of "musician's musicians" who seem to get cited/covered a lot by other musicians without attaining much popular success. Tommy Keene, Mission of Burma, Marshall Crenshaw, etc.

Marshall Crenshaw's "Field Day" is one of my favorite 80's albums. Start with "Monday Morning Rock."
>>
This is essentially post-punk, the topic. It's a genre that has had ideas that other forms of music take to the next level, but the fact that so many other forms of music do this while being influenced from post punk or not is pretty fantastic.
>>
You would think he's be more popular after Zeppelin dedicated a song to him.
>>
>>64786764
Post-punk is generally well known amongst music fans and critics, though.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.