[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bleeproduction/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 32
File: screen800x500.jpg (95 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
screen800x500.jpg
95 KB, 800x500
Why does everything sound better with reverb? sometimes I feel guilty of using it but let's face it: it's magic
>>
>feeling guilty about techniques

ok...

the reason it sounds good is because it adds space and depth. if each element in a mix has the appropriate space and depth and is thoughtfully arranged, it generally always sounds 'good'.

i guess the reason it sounds good is because in the stereo field you have a limited window of which to place things and it takes a lot of practice to do it creatively and effectively

i dunno mate, why are we alive?
>>
>>48965319
I don't think it's a technique, more like a quality

I mean, it's just easy to abuse, just drown everything in reverb and it will probably sound less shitty
>>
I think no reverb at all sounds better than too much reverb, when abused it can spectacularly fuck up a mix and muddy everything up. And there are things that reverb never sounds good on such as kick drums or bass, or anything with low frequencies. Reverb just sounds like hell below about 400hz.

Pic related is what I typically do on my reverb buss. I find that compressing it pretty heavily before the reverb makes it become clearer, and sidechaining it to the kick gives the whole mix a subtle pumping effect. I usually have my sounds pretty dry so my reverb is very subtle, you can't really tell when it's there but you can tell when it isn't, which is how I like reverb sounding.
>>
bump for production thread
>>
What do you guys think of vocoders? interesting or cheesy? any fun to play with?
>>
>>48967458
Vocoders are the shit, especially when they're not vocoding vocals
>>
>>48967458
They're good if they're not attached to a synth. Some synth ones are good, but not a lot. It's fun to vocode drum machines.

I've got the Electrix Warp Favtory
>>
>>48967713
Factory*
>>
So what happened to these threads? I've kinda been doing the real life thing for a while.
>>
How do you know what to name a song? I can be working on a track for days, but when it's finished I am clueless at naming it
>>
>>48967938
I never have problems naming songs with lyrics, but I hear you when it comes to naming pieces without voice. I wrote a piece for tuba and trumpet that didn't have a name until a week before the performance.

Sometimes you just need to draw words or phrases from your own experiences that give you the feelings the work gives you.
>>
File: 1382044957654.jpg (22 KB, 419x458) Image search: [Google]
1382044957654.jpg
22 KB, 419x458
>put reverb on 8% wet
>friend tells me that its not enough and its not even worth using
>mfw amateurs dont understand the subtleties of reverb
>mfw he thinks its either 50% or none at all
>>
>>48967938
random noun gen for inspiration
>>
>>48967992
i have a friend who makes the dub steps and he puts an individual reverb on every track, including kick drum and bass and always turns it up to 100% wet 100% dry
>>
>>48968072
im already struggling to colab with my m8 cause he is so far behind where i am but weve been friends before the music.

i would kill myself if he was that bad though lol
>>
>>48968072
>have a contest with a friend to see who can make a better dubstep song
>don't realise he dosent know the difference between dubstep and brostep
>I create a piece with emphasis on sub bass and subtle yet complex drum rhythms
>he tells me in dosent have a huge bass drop so he wins by default
>his track only uses vengeance essential dubstep loops
>don't have the heart to tell him he sucks
>he goes on thinking he's the best
>he tells people he has his own style of dubstep
>mfw he is convinced of his genius and broke a mixing desk when someone said he sucked
>>
>>48968147
>broke a mixing desk when someone said he sucked

oh boy

>>48968140
I once tried to collab with him for a college thing once, I spent the entire time trying to explain how sends work but in the end he thought they were too hard to use so he just went back to putting individual reverbs on everything
>>
>>48968147
>mfw he is convinced of his genius and broke a mixing desk when someone said he sucked
I require further elaboration.
>>
Why in the flying fuck am I having such trouble time stretching? Every video I watch on the subject basically says "lol jus drop it in and match the tempo to the project, ya dangus."

Is it supposed to take a half hour of finagling to get it right?
>>
>>48966459
>And there are things that reverb never sounds good on such as kick drums
Gotta totally disagree there.
https://soundcloud.com/tantalum/propranolol-80mg-dose
Wouldn't sound half as good with that wet kick.
granted the 909 layer isn't reverbed, but you can't just rule out reverb on kicks.
>>
>>48968199
if you cant understand a send, you shouldnt be producing
>>
>>48968244
>djing
>actually difficult
>>
>>48968256
+1
>>
what synths does blank banshee use?
>>
>>48968289
niggers
>>
>>48968199
>putting individual reverbs on everything
If he was just dropping the same preset on everything that's obviously retarded, but I'll use individual reverbs often on drums so they have some individual space.
That guy does sound like a total cunt though.
>>
>>48968204
we were working on various different musical things on computers at school, he was on logic pro something at the time, one of my friends asked to listen to what he was making, he showed him, the song was basically a shit skrillex clone, which my friend told him, he really didnt like that and kept hitting the mixing desk whilst talking about how 'no one understood his style' until loads of sliders, various knobs, and a bit of the casing started to break, he didn't talk to anyone for about 2 weeks after the event
>>
>>48968281
That's what I'm saying. It's supposed to be easy as fuck, but none of mine turn out quite right and it takes a good while tweaking it to make it sound decent.
>>
>>48968316
Goddamn that is beautiful. What about the poor desk?
>>
>>48968316
another time he was setting up various different microphones, someone told him he was doing it wrong as all the wires were getting tangled and you couldn't tell which one was leading to which input, he preceded to say he is the only person in the group who knows about how to set up microphones and is also infinity more talented than everyone else, on his way out he kicked over and dented and SE Titan mic
>>
>>48968316
Your "friend" is a huge cunt.
>>
File: goat.gif (1 MB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
goat.gif
1 MB, 460x259
>>48968306
it wasn't even the same preset, it was any preset

yes it was horrible
>>
>>48968365
it still worked after we put all of the things back in the right place, however, there are still a shit load of dents
>>
>>48968363
dont dj
its for people who cant make music, so they think theyre great by playing one song after the other
>>
>>48968391
I'm not trying to DJ. I'm just trying to produce some ambient bleeps and bloops. I play other instruments, and none of them offer the flexibility and practicality of FL studio.
>>
>>48968366
Jesus Christ, is this one of those production schools where they let any asshat in because money?
>>
>>48968444
not even because of money because he spends all of his time talking about how poor he is and how it affects his style, I think he just went because he has a huge ego and wanted to be the best at everything
>>
>>48968481
I meant the school will let anyone in because they can still make money off of them
>>
>how decide on your artist name?
>>
>>48968547
yeah probably, ironically, with all the destruction, he probably cost them more than they made from him
>>
>>48968552
The chemical symbol is the same as my initials.
>>
>>48968366
I have an extremely retarded story about stupid people in studios

>recording drums
>drummer says that he should be the only one who can position the mics because he is the only person who knows how to properly mic up a kit as it is all 'part of the drummers natural instinct'
>proceeds to go out and get the microphones
>3 SM58s and a sub kick
>what the fuck are you doing with these terrible mics man
>no I am the second coming of Jesus and I know what I am doing
>try to explain to him that whatever he is planning on doing with those SM58s it is unlikely that it's gonna work well
>he proceeds to set up left and right SM58 overhead
>us laughing our asses off already
>the drum kit is now mic'd up with 2 SM58s as overheads and an SM58 on the snare and a sub kick on the kick drum
>le you forgot the kick SM58 face
>we record it
>it's awful but we kept going on with it because of how stubborn this fucker is
>he listens to it and starts blaming the SSL desk and how he prefers using the Mackie VLZ3s in the small rooms
>he goes home
>we stay late and re record everything with propper mics
>we pass
>he fails
>>
>>48967992

if you are putting it on the same channel the sound is on, you might be "right" but you shouldn't really (disclaimer: all rules are meant to be broken).

If you are using reverb in the "traditional" sense (i.e. using a send and sending it to a buss) then he is right - it should be 100% wet as the dry sound is the channel its sent from.
>>
>>48968613

uh, you do realise that some of the greatest sounding drum tracks in the history of music were recorded with mics that would give their right bollock to be as "good" as a SM58?
>>
>>48968391
don't produce
its for people who operate under the illusion that they have a 'unique voice' and what they make is 'original'
>>
>>48968677
sm 58's are designed for vocal recordings, not drums, which means the quality of drum recordings will suffer
>>
>>48968631
What exactly is Ocean Grunge?
Based on the name I'd assume guitars and drumkit, probably with cheesy 80s synth and washy chorus/reverb saturated vocals
>>
what do you guys use for drums? any good vst drum synth/ where do you get your samples?
>>
>>48968677
yes but they're not good because of the recording quality, and we had thousands of pounds worth of mics available and he just went and got the shittiest ones by the door. it was an assessment and part of the criteria was mic choice and placement, which he spectacularly failed us on if we hadn't done it without him
>>
>>48968722
Stormdrum is pretty good. I run it through a Kontakt-4 VST
Reason drumkits are passable
>>
>>48968722
I use old breaks and samples from old drum machines, you can get drum machine samples for free via google.
Breaks are a bit harder to get but I am here to help
https://mega.co.nz/#F!2AJHBBqT!b4WBVWgrcAAat149dC3Z7Q
>>
>>48968711

That really doesn't make a great deal of sense: I believe that the SM57 (which is pretty much exactly the same mic) was "designed" for vocals too - however it has become the "go to" mic for recording guitar amps.
>>
>>48968613
>2 SM58s as overheads and an SM58 on the snare
>>
>>48968733

any decent sound engineer should have a good understanding of what a 58 sounds like.

In a case where there may well be better mics, but the engineer has no experience of them, I would not be at all surprised if the 58 was a better choice for getting a "decent" sound quickly. I am not making any comment about your mates abilities, and if there were people there who had better skills and knowledge of the equipment - then yeah maybe his desire to mic up the kit was stupid. but in the right circumstances a good engineer can certainly get an excellent drum sound with an sm58.
>>
>>48968841
dude the guy was fucking using them as overheads, and no, an SM58 will never sound as good as studio mics like u87s, which we had easy access to. It was halfway through the first year, by then everyone should know what mics to use.

I don't really understand what you're saying though, because trying to get an SM58 to sound pristine and studio worthy is flogging a dead horse. Any decent engineer shouldn't use an SM58 in the first place.

IMO SM58s have no place in a studio anyway, they're too muffled and lifeless sounding.
>>
>>48968717
>>48969079
>>
>>48968988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpDs61uoI80

i dont think it sounds too good at all.
nice basic drum sound that im sure i could use in a number of applications, from rock to electronic music, funk, soul, hip hop.

nothing special, but good workable drum sounds.

and this is someone dicking around in his bedroom with a decent budget interface and built in preamps (i presume - based on the decription).

with a proper studio, some nice compressors, and outboard, the sound could be miles better.
>>
time to put some fun back in this thread, omegle style

Why is your favorite synth better than anons favorite synth?
>>
>>48969487
>using synths
synth < sampler
>>
>>48969508
too bad samplers cant be analog
>>
>>48969508
synth < sampler < samplepack loops
>>
>>48969508
>>48969564
>>48969711
great job, /bleeproduction/ is kill again
>>
dead mow five using Dudas new synth, about 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8EMhjocxlpQ#t=4160

it looks glorious
>>
>>48968424
torrent Harmor, it's a synth that is also a sampler, it makes timestretching really easy
>>
File: 2014-07-16 18.40.14.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-16 18.40.14.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>48969487
Because anon's favorite synth isn't the Minimoog.
>>
>>48970229
HARMOR ISDABES
>>
>>48970219
that looks really cool
>>
File: sscrop.png (25 KB, 1028x896) Image search: [Google]
sscrop.png
25 KB, 1028x896
What genres do you guys make? I only read these casually but it seems to be all four to the floor stuff. I make sample based stuff like replica and black metal inspired drone.
>>
>>48968552
Do what I did and just take some words and mash them together in a way that sounds cool
>>
>>48970219
Man, even without an actual patch (as in just a plain saw wave) you can tell it's deadmau5
>>
can spooky lawyer men find out that my VSTs and DAWs are pirated??
>>
>>48971285
Plenty of famous people (Avicii and Swedish House Mafia to name a couple) do it so I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
>>48970833
A combination of IDM and power electronics with some humor thrown into sparse melodies. That's my main band, but I have a synthpunk project that's starting to pick up.
>>
>>48971285
Pirated VSTs and DAWs produce a high pitched sound that can only be detected by spooky lawyers who will hunt you down the minute they hear your song played.
>>
>>48970833
I used to make depressing downtempo but now I'm over that particular breakup I make variants of house and techno because I like fun too.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/trance-biz
i need someone to invasively grill me and harshly criticise my music so i completely reconsider what i'm doing
any takers?
>>
>>48965276
Back in the day before digital reverb got good enough, producers would play their synths, drum machines, and samplers through their speakers and re-record the results in the room so they would have more "presence" like a physical instrument. That's what subtle reverb is doing. It's tricking your mind into believe what you're hearing is real. Since bass sounds really don't carry that well from far away reverb isn't really applied to low-end sounds as much. Take some recording or acoustic theory classes for more detail.
>>
anyone here make aggrotek/dark elektro?
>>
>>48971680
Stimming still does that on his synths
>>
>>48971410
juses crest how terrifying
>>
File: folder.jpg (118 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
118 KB, 333x333
>>48971598
also mailey how long u been producing fam?
>>
>>48971598
Your tags and song names are really edgy
>>
>>48971973
*yawn*
wb the music though (what am i doing right/wrong w my production???)
>>
>>48972071
yeah your compositions are boring
>>
okay whatever

what are some good EDM samplepacks idc if they cost money
>>
>>48970833
I make hip-hop.
>>
>>48972245

that's even easier/more masturbatory than 4x4 shit
>>
>>48972231
>EDM samplepacks
>good

pls go and stay go
>>
>>48972315
>easier
I think depending on a genre is easy, just staying in the genre and doing what other people do without trying to branch out is easy.

But that isn't what I'm doin I'm trying to mix genres.
>>
what are some good Berghain samplepacks idc if they cost money
>>
I just started using fl studio and i made a decent like 1 minute tune. I was wondering what the easiest way to "make" my own synth settings would be (ie what plug in to use and what to mess around with). Currently I've been using the presets so it doesn't sound all that great
>>
File: mu.png (233 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
mu.png
233 KB, 1366x768
hi /mu/
workin on my breakcore project today
>>
>>48965276
know your feel only too well OP - especially when making introspective or emotional music you just want to drop giant reverbs on absolutely everything
>>
>>48970833
Death and black metal

>tfw no vocalist
>>
>>48971934
about 5 years kind of, but very on and off and I didn't get serious with it until 3 ish years ago, but again on and off
>>
>>48972432
I wish I could into Renoise
>>
File: moebius1.jpg (878 KB, 1500x991) Image search: [Google]
moebius1.jpg
878 KB, 1500x991
>>48967938

Read science fiction, comix, speculative fiction, futurist manifestos, screeds on architecture, the sonic poetry of Kodwo Eshun or the agitated meditations of Hakim Bey. Appropriate as necessary.
>>
File: waldorf_blofeld_black_lg[1].jpg (91 KB, 1200x542) Image search: [Google]
waldorf_blofeld_black_lg[1].jpg
91 KB, 1200x542
Anyone here have the Blofeld? How's the filter on it?

I was looking into the Novation KS Rack but the filter is absolute ass (http://clyp.it/qmqubiuz) so now I'm looking for a different synth with an actually decent sounding filter.
>>
>>48972586
If you look at my taskbar you will see that I wish I could into ableton..mostly for their dsp plugs

I can't abandon renoise now, went too deep
also it is scriptable
for this track I wrote a tool that generates euclidian rhythms
combining that with a note randomizing tool = easy mode breaks
>>
>>48967938
I usually take cue from something that happened during its production, or a memory it triggers, or something alluding to something going on in my life.
I used to name my tracks based on the original track titles of the tunes I'd sampled.
>>
>>48972703
same feels

I can kind of get my head around Renoises sequencer, but I have no idea how to go about triplets or swung notes, and I can never remember how to ad inserts or open them. I am too simple for it.
>>
>>48972646
this
just read something and keep track of every cool phrase
>>
>>48972646
the Twilight Zone is pretty good for that, it's a good source for spooky dialogue too
>>
>>48972703
>look at taskbar
>see putty
>see vim
>see eclipse
suddenly why breakcore makes sense also
are you generative music masterrace or what
>>
>>48972688
Filters are pretty good. Especially if you want that CEM poly sound
>>
>>48971598

restrain, nigga, lrn2restrain

You posted a pic of a producer who is excellent at that. So you know exactly what I mean
>>
>>48971379
For the love of anything please post your soundcloud or any material you have!
>>
>>48971469
File: cover.jpg (464 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
464 KB, 800x800
>>48972984
so stop throwing in all the ideas i have in to a track and focus in on a couple of elements?
>>
>>48972688
the blofeld is a great synth, can't go wrong with one. the filters have a kind of analog-digital feel to them, pretty versatile.
>>48972830
went a bit overkill on the effects processing dont you think
>>
>>48968623
no, i wasnt. it was an individual rvb for a high hat to give it a sense of space. i put individual reverbs on almost everything because everything needs different reverb room sizes in the music i make
>>
>>48973044

before I copy/paste my answer, I'm curious: why do you have a pic of Deepchord's material while your own music is so far away from his sound?
>>
>>48972894
I have been trying to make/use tools that are pseudo generative, not like realtime-generative but they iteratively generate things and I decide whether or not I like it

I have been thinking about this a lot actually..when you gals write music do you like hear music in your head and try to make stuff sound like that?

there is no music in my head except stupid shit (inane childrens songs, sousa marches), also I am sort of autist/take brain drugs & dont have very strong emotions.

the point is, i feel like I have no business making music, I am only working with form, making parodies of parodies, and this is why generative stuff appeals to me..its like tricking people into thinking there is intent where there is only objective selection
>>
File: folder.jpg (72 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
72 KB, 500x388
>>48973174
i actually really like dub/ambient techno but whenever i try to make something like that it sounds sooo boring
idk how producers like deepchord or basic channel do it
i also feel like i haven't really found a cohesive *sound* for my music yet
been feelin more pic related lately
>>
>>48973252
you sound like one hella cool guy, absolutely honestly.
I'd share a slightly awkward pint with you and let you talk about technical shit.
>>
>>48973044
>>48973345
quality > quantity
restriction is the mother of invention, the less you have to work with the more creative it forces you to be with what you have. artists like basic channel and deepchord work with restraint and learn to make the most out of it, which is a skill you have to learn like any other.

the worst thing that computer-based production has done is also one of the greatest things its done: remove most forms of limitation and restriction.
>>
>>48973065
not at all
>>
>>48973513
hmmm...
maybe if i like, don't let my self start a new project until i'm completely satisfied with the one i'm working on? and don't let my self post tracks once a day but once every two weeks or so?
idk.
>>
>>48973619
>post tracks once a day
You really do this?
Don't do that. Post one really fucking good one per month.
>>
>>48973345

you obviously know what you're doing, so keep producing

I am biased (and I'm older than the majority of users here) but I think the "natural progression" of most bleeps listeners tends to go into mnml and "deeper" as they age and 'mature'. I remember listening Basic Channel when I was younger and thought it was the most boring music ever. I now pretty much worship them

>THIS IS ALL PERSONAL EXPERIENCES

The music you posted isn't bad, but its very juvenile and naive. There are some interesting ideas, but they get drowned in the frenetic layers of sound. As anon said here >>48973513, restrain helps to keep your music "focused". I'd also add that minimalism in general is a lot harder than people might think. It is really hard (as you know) to do mnml music that is interesting.

>idk how producers like deepchord or basic channel do it

From years of reading about bleeps (and a couple of sources who claimed to know/worked with/were familiar with Basic Channel) they did a lot of pure experimentation. Recording wet signals, sampling the locked grooves of some records, a ton of experimentation with reverb machines and whatnot, tapes, field recordings etc.....so that's that. There is no "procedure" to get a sound. You just have to experiment.

Be careful tho, don't end up being an analogue worshipper, there's tons of those in gearslutz for example, people spending thousands getting obscure gear and not doing anything with it
>>
>>48965276
reverb always makes my tracks sound like shit. i like dry sounds, especially when im sampling something. reverb can be great if you plan out its use beforehand but just chucking it on something to get a bit more flavor is stupid.
>>
>>48968316
your friend needs introduced to weed. after weed he will become slightly more self aware. either that or he is literally an autistic person.
>>
>>48973797
It sounds like his friend needs to stop smoking weed
>>
How do I get that SMT soundtrack feel/sound?
>>
man my production class was full of proper talented people. we all discussed the type of mics and placement without anyone being a sperg. when someone came up with a shit idea we told them it was shit and they accepted it. what is it with you cunts letting spoiled spergs damage equipment? not trying to be edgy but we would have kicked the shit out of anyone trying that shit, but i guess that's regional
>>
File: folder.jpg (426 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
426 KB, 1280x1280
>>48973704
heh heh
>>48973724
thank u so much helpful anon
> people spending thousands getting obscure gear and not doing anything with it
feel this so hard it's rlly insufferable twoism and watmm are filled w those too
trance.biz is kinda my "bleep" music account for now but i did an ambient eccojams-influenced record which i like better
people seem to be feeling my newer stuff more though which makes me feel super conflicted
virtualdisksystems.bandcamp.com/album/-
>>48973927
where u from?
also sorry for long post but this mix is just somethin else: https://soundcloud.com/dismagazine/soda-plains-firmiana-simplex
>>
>>48973839
when i started smoking weed i became really self aware and realised that some of my actions were tryhard and edgy. i learned to think before i spoke shit and i am now very chilled. i dont smoke it anymore but i am glad that i did smoke it heavily for about 5 years, it opened my mind up to so much more than the basic shit i was already thinking about.

>tldr; smoke weed erry day for a year then stop and you will find you are probably a better person
>>
>>48973966
glasgow, scotland. the king city of bleeps at the moment
>>
>using anything else for audio conversions
>>
File: 5qHSrJE.gif (1012 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
5qHSrJE.gif
1012 KB, 500x278
>>48974035

>macfag
>>
>>48974035
omg thank you I thought I was weird
>>
File: folder 81.jpg (59 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
folder 81.jpg
59 KB, 500x493
>>48974027
i'm so jealous i live in the fucking american midwest
i have fam in scotland though i should visit
>>
>>48974081
the club scene in Glasgow is pretty weird, there is only a handful of clubs that play good music. the rest are all aimed at lads and skets to go out and get drunk quickly and get some shagging done.

however in those handful of clubs you will experience good house, techno, dubstep, grime and a plethora of other wonders.

i recommend Glasgow, its an amazing city. its
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Sup nerds. Bought that fucking piano
>>
>>48974209
And like a champion, I killed all discussion.
>>
>>48974641
damn son you killed the thread
>>
File: my nig oh uh hahah um ok.jpg (113 KB, 331x459) Image search: [Google]
my nig oh uh hahah um ok.jpg
113 KB, 331x459
>>48973252
>this entire post

most people think that in order to make/put out good music, you have to first create an idea and then approve of it..

but he who goes by that method, his pool from which to publish/select is limited to only that which he was able to create

while he who removes the necessity of creation, his pool contains all that is possible & he must only select
>>
>>48973252
Do you have a soundcloud? Would love to hear your music
>>
File: KorgMS2000B_controls[1].gif (692 KB, 2000x971) Image search: [Google]
KorgMS2000B_controls[1].gif
692 KB, 2000x971
Anyone here have any experience with the korg ms2000/b? I'm thinking of picking one up once I have the cash.
>>
>>48975076
I've been considering getting one for a while, they're MicroKorgs without the shitty interface and is actually useable. IMO the MicroKorg doesn't sound too bad, and it could sound a lot better if it was actually easy to edit the shitty presets.

They have a cool gritty VA sound that is becoming more popular, and very useful for techno music.
>>
been producing a lot lately, and every time i make something i finish it and am proud of it, but then i read these threads and start to kick myself and realize how shitty i am. could someone listen to this and tear me apart so i know exactly what it is im not doing

https://soundcloud.com/mastromaticka
>>
I'm looking for a new drum kit? Anyone got any recommendations, preferably free.
>>
>>48975076
I've owned a microkorg for about three years now, and I would say it's a solid synth. The real flaw is the terrible resonance, like it doesn't sound nice at all. This is a horrible recording of a patch I made that I thought was pretty cool.

http://clyp.it/jovjriyn
>>
>>48975293

I don't understand.. what do you read that makes you think that? I've heard your stuff and it sounds well crafted. If you said that you start kicing yourself after hearing stuff posted here that would mae more sense but I don't think you should think you're missing out on something based on what other people are doing, since you already seem to have a lot of the fundamentals figured out (you're putting out tracks consistently that at least SOUND like you know what you're doing, even if there's a lot of progress to be made)
>>
>>48974785
here is the track I am working on right now as it is right now

http://clyp.it/bu0hwuyu
>>
>>48976047

they should add a volume control there
>>
here's my latest song. glad to see i'm not to only one still on Live 8
>>
>>48975968
i'll give an example: the reverb discussion that started this thread. after reading that i took a look at the mixes in my tracks and they are comparatively haphazard with regard to the implementation of reverb, and other "essential" effects.
>>
>>48976537
>that copy paste song structure
>>
>>48976537
>risers
>>
File: Screenshot 2014-08-10 18.00.15.png (155 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2014-08-10 18.00.15.png
155 KB, 1366x768
>>48976537
wtf the thumbnail is of some chick playing the guitar.

also,
>labeling your tracks
>>
>>48976691
>not labeling and color-coding your tracks
>>
>>48976730
>not just memorizing where everything is even though it's a terrible fucking idea
>>
>>48976581
>>48976599
pbbbtttt

>>48976691
no idea about the thumbnail, haha.
labeling my tracks takes like 5 seconds and makes it way easier to start on the song again at a different time.
>>
>>48976795
What the hell is the "what" track supposed to be
>>
>>48976691
dude you have to busses
>>
>>48974188
I'm in glasgow too. I agree it's an awesome city and we're lucky to have such a reliable highbrow dance scene.

On another note, where do you go for your production course, and what's its title? Been thinking about one for a while as I'm pretty bad at unstructured learning and thus haven't really achieved much with production.
>>
>>48976933
>tfw I don't know how to respond to this without sounding like a dipshit

y-you mean the sends? because I do use those, I just had them hidden because they were getting in the way at one point
>>
>>48976998
hnc sound production. to be honest mate its worthless for bleeps and bloops. its all about recording and mixing bands, as well as live sound for bands and shit. i met a real nice group of people but the college and lecturers were mad gimps who put more time into the music students. your to late to get into any colleges this year, but if you want to do it try to get into west college scotlands greenock campus or Glasgow kelvin college, their studios are badman tier.
>>
>>48977229
Do you know if any establishments offer courses which can be worked around a 9-5 job? Just graduated uni with a completely unrelated degree and will most likely be making da big bucks soon.
>>
anyone going to bleepproduction related courses at uni in september?

im starting at kingston and shitting myself
>>
>>48976842
its waka bitch
>>
>>48977286
naw mate they are all full time courses. theres sae but thats a waste of cash in my opinion. apparently they just let you fuck about and dont really teach you much
>>
>>48976578

and so what? they sounded good to you right? You could have a day long discussion about any tiny aspect of production, and it won't necessarily mean that it should be essential or even important to you.

Don't overthink it. I suppose that if we can take any piece of essential knowledge from this thread is that reverb is something that is usually better when applied conservatively. That's it.
Now if you wanted to you could start paying more attention to it or experiment a bit more with it next time you are setting up a reverb, that way you will start to build your own impressions on the use of reverb and then compare them to the way you used apply it.

Other than that I think that one should not overthink stuff that didn't even occur to you in the first place, if you never payed that much attention to reverb before and it worked for you, then that's part of what defined your music up until that point. You now can go ahead and make music a notch better than before with your new awareness of reverb, but don't think your previous work is worth any less because you didn't know everything that you know now
>>
>>48977386
Doesn't seem like it's for me. At the very least, are there any groups that meet or collectives etc based around bleep bloop producing. I don't want to do this alone, the community aspect of a course is what appealed most to me.
>>
File: 1407707706990.png (2 KB, 582x107) Image search: [Google]
1407707706990.png
2 KB, 582x107
>>48977361
>>
>>48977448
do you not have friends?
>>
>>48977498
Got plenty who are into some of the more mainstream house music I like, but none who have any apparent interest in production or fringe genres.
>>
>>48977448
im not sure mate. im the only bleep producer i know irl. i just got most of my knowledge from forums and yt videos. normal production aspects also work in bleeps
>>
>>48977532
Ah well. You'd think given the rifeness of DJs and producers in Glasgow there'd be some, but it makes a bit of sense given how solitary the task can be.
>>
>>48977497
yeah it's waka saying "what"
>>
>>48977529
in that case I'd say get networking next time you're out clubbing, talk to strangers, talk to DJs, get contacts.
>>
>>48977579
its probably easier the closer to the "toon" you live but in the schemes its pretty dire. people still blast new monkey out of their phone speakers
>>
>>48977589
OH Wow that went right over my head
>>
File: image.jpg (347 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
347 KB, 2048x1536
Although I bought Renoise for my laptop and love it (grew up messing about with trackers), I spend most of my time jamming out beats with my iPad using an app called BeatMaker 2.

It's crazy because it's fairly limited compared to Renoise, but it's powerful enough to create full tracks with, and I get a lot done with it. I have a few synth apps like Sunrizer and Animoog that I record basslines and shit with, then dump them into BeatMaker for sequencing and resampling.

I just like producing with the iPad because it's super portable and I can use it all day without needing to worry about the battery running dry. I can go sit by the river and spend hours writing tunes. It's awesome.
>>
>>48978036

that's pretty cool. I think the most important thing it to actually produce finished tracks, don't matter how. Expand only as you find necessary
>>
>>48978036
why is this written like its a disguised advert?
>>
>>48968781
SM57 was designed for orchestral instruments
>>
File: dr-drum-comparison-chart.jpg (200 KB, 816x861) Image search: [Google]
dr-drum-comparison-chart.jpg
200 KB, 816x861
Hey friends what are your thoughts on this music maker? Is this good if I want a cheap alternative for making bangers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPV8c9rVQpg
>>
>>48978605

no no no no, do NOT waste your money on any of those things ever. Just torrent one of the mainstream daws instead. There's a ton of those beat making programs and all they have going for them is very insistent marketing. That chart is outright ridiculous. I've always imagined that the only people buying these would be kids doing their first google search when trying to figure out how to make beats
>>
>>48978605
>Dat WinXP
Man, that ad gets funnier every time I see it.
>>
>>48978605
Don't use gimmicky bullshit. Use more established software like Logic. Just torrent it
>>
>>48966459
your technique sounds interesting - can you post a little audio clip of it or something? would be cool to hear!
>>
>>48977437
thank you.
>>
>>48978605
>Alter hi, low, and mid sounds (individually on each track!)
>Alter the "pan effect" on each track

How can they honestly think this is believable
>>
>>48979249
>(such as making Dub Step beats)

kek
>>
>>48979297
>four-octave keyboard
>>
>>48976691
is this an smartphone version of ableton?
>>
>>48979336
No nigga it's live 8.
>>
>>48965276
Ok, this was probably the stupidest statement I've ever seen on /mu/. Please, quit making music now
>>
what are some great vst effects you could recommend?
>>
>>48979669
togu audio line everything
>>
>>48979669
TB reelbus
bounce the entire track to audio and put reelbus on it with the pitchflutter effect on max
instant lo-fi goodness
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>48978342
I just like the app. I bought my iPad mostly for fucking around while I sit out on my deck, but I discovered a whole bunch of music apps that are actually really fucking good.

I think the best thing about composing tunes on an iPad is that I have less to get distracted by. The app takes up the whole screen and I turn on airplane mode to keep notifications and whatnot from breaking me out of the zone.

Also the temptation to try out a hundred different VSTs isn't there. I have a few synth apps that I can run into BeatMaker and several gigs of Goldbaby samples, that's it. All sample manipulation and composition is done in one app, and it keeps me really focused.

I'm not saying it's for everybody, but I like it.

Pic is Sunrizer, my favorite iPad synth.
>>
So who here learned music theory? Who doesn't know any and just "feels" the music?

If you do know music theory & composition, in what manner does it improve your creative process (If any)
>>
Where can I download Ableton for free? Also a new producer and have a MPD26. Recs for software I should start with?
>>
So what are the bare minimums for having a studio setup that can also allow for live recording / performance?
>>
>>48980548
Should mention I prefer hardware, but don't have much money.
>>
>>48980521
>Where can I download Ableton for free?
Pirate bay.
>>
>>48980693
Should I start with Live Lite of Live 9?
>>
>>48980913
If you're pirating it, just go all out.
>>
>>48980913
just start with the fully equipped shit, just straight get up and running, 9 obviously.
>>
anybody know that synth in Mr. Wonderful that comes in at :25?
>>
File: 773313-300_jpg_9.gif (47 KB, 300x263) Image search: [Google]
773313-300_jpg_9.gif
47 KB, 300x263
>tfw project freezes every 10 minutes because its too big which is getting in the way of finishing it

wat do?
>>
>>48981101
If you're on Ableton, right click and Freeze some tracks, that would make them act like audio files and use much less CPU, you can also right click again and Flatten them as audio files if you want
>>
>>48981207
wish I was. i'm on FLS, been trying ease off of it and learn ableton but it's hard because of how long I've been using FL for
>>
>>48981248
This girl has probably made the best Ableton basic video series, but not only that, she has the cutest voice and accent, and she also tickles with it the whole time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puuOL60T49Q&list=UU1hcFUigF1xd-48gK56h5pA

A++ Recommended watch for anyone trying to get into Ableton, it even includes some intro to synthesis and music theory, all in like 1 hour of time
Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.