[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
420 Edition

What are your favorite jazz albums to listen to while high?

Don't smoke? That's cool too. What's the best jazz album you've listened to in the past week?
>>
Chuck Mangione - Feels So Good is delightful with a bit of the old devil's lettuce
>>
actual guy who knows about jazz reporting in, so take heed unless you wanna be a Sun Ra the list goes on pleb or a JTG art blakey bullshit regurgitator or god forbid something even worse

John Coltrane - Ole Coltrane
Charlie Haden - Art of the Song
Cuong Vu - Leaps of Faith
Eyvind Kang - Virginal Co-ordinates
Miles Davis - Tribute to Jack Johnson
John Zorn - Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet
Chico Hamilton - the Dealer
Charles Lloyd - Forest Flower
all four Gateway trio albums
Stanley Cowell - Illusion Suite
Dave Holland - Prism

all on the side that goes good with weed, but also all great sober, enjoy and don't stay satisfied with plebhood
>>
local jazz festival got underway today, so some quick impressions (I'm seeing Potter at about the time stuff is revealed, so I assume this will fit well)

set #1:
The Robert Glasper Experiment

Yeah, I would have preferred to get Glasper's trio instead of the boring r&b Experience (with no cool guest vocals), but what do you do... Also the mixing was not doing anyone any favors - the dude doing autotune/vocoder/whatever -vocals all the time was mixed way too low for vocals and way high for all the knob turning effects.

I heard afterwards that this was the first gig with a new random sound dude that was even not Robert Glasper Experiment's regular European sound guy but his random friend, so we got pretty much shit sound.

The autotune/vocoder vocals were way too low and Robert's electric keyboards just echoed too much and almost nothing sounded good to me, so a complete shit show in terms of mixing.

However, MARK COLENBURG on drums was 120% awesome and an incredible sight to behold - even during Glasper's keyboard solo's I noticed myself being totally fixated on Colenburg's drum work - incredible drum talent able to fuse machine like beats with real personality.

So fuck everyone else involved just to make sure and put a check mark for Mark Colenburg for being an incredible modern drummer.
>>
>>64220235
set #2:
Joey DeFrancesco Trio:

Yeah, Joey DeFrancesco sure can play Hammond.

Highlight was their version of Monk's Hackensack that got seriously great towards the end with DeFrancesco pullin out all the stops and just grooving away - the trio played several songs off of their newest CD, but displayed no actual reason for me to pay money for that thing or spend time reviewing it...

Yeah, I saw DeFrancesco at April Jazz 15 years ago in 2001 and he really hadn't developed much - he was a great indicator for showing how my own tastes have evolved.

Sure, he played some engaging solos and was a good showman and his version of Hackensack was totally great but...
>>
>>64220210
>actual guy who knows about jazz reporting in
lol cool
>>
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 220x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 220x222
I will hop in the thread even though I'm not too knowledgable, and I don't smoke or I'll go to hell boys.

Have been diving head first into the essential jazz charts on the wiki to gain some knowledge and a foothold in the genre. Currently listening to Ellington at Newport again after being rec'd it.

I have been listening to pic related a lot as well and really love it. If anyone could rec me something similar to it I would be forever in your debt.
>>
>>64220210
>>64220235
>>64220484
Just wanted to let you know I appreciate you random jazz guy
>>
>>64220210
don't be shy participating in the weekly /blindfold/ -threads!

I dig your tastes and as things go, it's good if the /blindfold/s gather a wider base whatever it is, so please be participating - there's more of a problem of people thinking jtg is the only authority or factor worth representing and the whole /blindfold/ being some sham.
>>
>>64219703
Gerry Mulligan - Night Lights
Miles Davis - The Complete Birth of Cool
>>
>>64219703
Been a few months since I've smoked but one of my favorites always used to be Johnathan Kreisberg. Chris Potter in any format is also always good for stoned listening.
>>
>>64220210
I didn't know I was known for being a big Blakey fan.

>>64220235
I saw this crew at a festival a few years ago and I had a similar experience. It seemed like they couldn't get their sound right and so none of them seemed comfortable playing the whole time. I don't remember being impressed with the drumming though. I would have much rather seen his trio too, although I do like the Black Radio albums. Seems like it just doesn't translate to live shows very well.
>>
File: front.jpg (275 KB, 1398x1387) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
275 KB, 1398x1387
>>64219703
>>
>>64221675

o hay, jtg

didn't listen to the weekly yet, but going to be a little disappointed if Chris Potter doesn't make an appearance of some sort since I'm hyping myself to seeing him as leader for the first time this week right about the time of the usual reveal - seeing Potter, Pablo Held, Joe Martin, Marcus Gilmore at 8pm EEST Saturday

other than him, saw Glasper and DeFrancesco as posted in thread, others going to be locals
>>
File: cover_1661312112010.jpg (216 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover_1661312112010.jpg
216 KB, 500x500
THIS

Can anyone put me onto more stuff like it?
>>
>>64221950
I will say that I did make an effort include a variety of players on the playlist. There's only one player who appears more than once. Not that easy considering how often Criss Cross tends to re-record players as both leaders and sidemen. Especially since most of my favorite players on the label play on each other's albums.

Not everything on there is my favorite but it should give a decent variety I think.
>>
>>64221950
Oh and isn't it a bit late for you?
>>
>>64221823
heard after the gig at the bar from festival people in the know that this was the first gig with a new sound guy who is some friend of the regular European sound guy ...

still those autotuned vocals just seemed like they wouldn't be great anywhere - very low confidence for the vocal/sax guy

Colenburg was just killing it on drums and everyone I talked to agreed, even during Glasper's solo parts I was just really watching and listening to the drums - he hasn't played with Glasper that long - I'm pretty sure Black Radio 2 is the first album he is on - used to be Chris Dave on drums
>>
>>64222153
oh just 7:30 am right now x_x
>>
File: 206.jpg (270 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
206.jpg
270 KB, 1600x1200
>>
Been checking out some classic fusion lately. My Spanish Heart has been pretty /great/. I always enjoy some Latin influence in my Jazz. Also, I just saw a concert with some dude at my uni who just spent half a semester in Trinidad studying steel pan drum with a master. It was pretty sw8.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.