[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
overrated bands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: tool.jpg (109 KB, 856x841) Image search: [Google]
tool.jpg
109 KB, 856x841
I don't come here much but isn't Tool really overrated? I like them well enough but they just aren't that great. I grew up listening to it (friends were obsessed with them), and I'm 29. I've listened to all the albums extensively and really enjoyed them for what they were. But in retrospect I think people really held them up too high and took it all too seriously. I'm wondering what younger people think of the band and if people still jack off to Tool thinking it's God's art or some shit. At this point does anyone even care if they ever release a new album? The last one came out 10 years ago and it wasn't even as good as the one before it, fuck it's making me feel old.
>>
I don't see anything overrated about tool, super unique awesome chilling music. Pioneers of their own sound and kind of defined their own genre, sure the sound can get a little repetitious and boring after a while but there's more to it then that, and that's a big reason they're put on such a high pedestal.
>>
>>63627869
Yea I mostly agree with you. The only reason I even thought about them or made this thread is because I randomly googled the progress of the new album after remembering they started working on it like 6 years ago and come to find out they played some new material live late last year. I listened to it and like all Tool, it sounded pretty chill and good. But holy fuck it's been a decade since 10,000 days was released and it sounded exactly the same. They're good at what they do but so one dimensional, I don't think they're capable of playing anything that doesn't sound like generic Tool and if they were I think their fans would hate them for it. Aenimus came out in 1996, then Lateralus, then 10,000 days in 2006, thats a decade. There are slight differences but they're basically playing the same stuff every album. Now it's been 10 years and they'll eventually release another album thats basically the exact same as the record that came out 20 years ago.
>>
File: cover.jpg (1 MB, 2800x2800) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1 MB, 2800x2800
>>63627785
I'm 27 and I've listened to Tool since I was about 15 (my dad really likes them and introduced them to me) and they are my favorite band. I can't say what in particular draws me to them other than I've always liked strong quiet-load dynamics, and I couldn't really tell you if they're overrated or not. But I do think that they have the catchiest riffs among all prog-metal bands, and that has helped them stand the test of time quite a bit. Also, they are pretty secretive and have kind of a "mysterious" vibe around them, which makes people interested in what they're up to.
>>
File: death-grips.jpg (641 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
death-grips.jpg
641 KB, 960x540
>>
DUDE THE FIBONACCI SEQUENCE LMAO
>>
>>63627785
I like them but yeah they are overrated. Would I go see them live? sure I'd get fucked up and trip out but really the music isnt all that mindblowing or anything. They should get some props for basically "inventing" their own genre/sound though
>>
People only think they suck because they sing about God and spirituality, and most people are too cynical for that message.
>>
>>63628619
Thanks man. I mean, I like their albums, I grew up with it. I like them, genuinely. It's just that they never really progressed much after 1996 and look at the time! That was 20 years ago. I only made this thread because they're supposed to eventually release a new record and it's already 2016. What is the point. I don't buy into the "mysterious" vibe, because they had that vibe 10 years ago and didn't change much of anything. They've fucked around ten fucking years and have no reason to release another album of the same shit. 10,000 days was nice, it even has a special sentimental value to me because I listened to it the first time I took LSD. But looking back it was more of the same. Being slow isn't an excuse for making minor alterations instead of being creative.
>>
>>63629575
Except of course for the people who say ALL metal sucks.
>>
>>63629581
I agree 100% man I really want them to release a new album soon. Maynard is wrapped up in some other bands now but that's not really an excuse for taking a whole 10+ to make a new album.
At the same time, I haven't really felt that impatient since all of Tool's old stuff really resonates with me and I enjoy re-listening to it over and over again. I guess I never got tired of it.
As for moving their sound into a different, new, direction... well, we'll see. As a fan, I gotta say that I wouldn't mind at all if they released the same kind of stuff as they have been releasing (though I felt that 10,000 Days was a moodier departure from their older stuff)
>>
>>63630201
I'm hammered and heres you're bump. Tool was pretty magnificent. 20 fucking years ago. They should all fuck off in different directions. I am against a new Tool record.
>>
When you're listening to Tool, just remember that they're not like other bands. Their music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to them to even remotely understand them. I remember listening to a song on Lateralus (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Tool could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Tool is that it's easy to get a headache listening to them. Not because they're a bad band, but because of how many ideas their music is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like the music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the lyrics, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.
>>
File: volto.jpg (46 KB, 600x226) Image search: [Google]
volto.jpg
46 KB, 600x226
OP. Danny Carey of TOOL is still alive and well and making some badass new music in this fusion group. check it out. they got some shit on YouTube you can find
>>
File: merkaba.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
merkaba.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>63630925
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoMhucdn_a8

Zaum is a small something Danny Carey did with some guys that use to work with Tool a long time ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HSkqRy5jkU
>>
Tool is my favourite band but after 2002 they didn't do much
>>
>>63630895

*tips fedora
>>
American Football - s/t
I only like three songs, the album is full of padding and I'd rather listen to Kinselas Cap'n Jazz.
>>
>>63627785
Overated just mean you don't like it as much as the other
>>
I used to listen to Tool when I was a teenager, and I've sort of lost interest in them. However, I do respect them for what they've done creatively. There was nothing much like them before them.
>>
>>63627869
go to any TOOL video comment section on youtube right now
>>
>>63628037
theyre old. they made music for over 20 years
>>
>>63630895
bait
>>
Does 10,000 days really deserve the hate?
I like Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, The Pot and Vicarious. It's certainly got a different sound compared to the previous albums but hasn't it always been like that? I also really like the weird distortions, which is probably why Jambi and Rosetta are my top two from the album.
>>
>>63633815
go to any comment section on any part of the internet and see if any bands fans don't say some dumb shit.
>>
>>63635646
i love 10,000 days.

its just that they have some filler in there.

if they edited down they could have had more impactful album. it would have been shorter - about 30 mins
>>
>>63627785
They're not relevant anymore. When you don't put out an album for ten years, why should your band still be hyped. Not to mention that they thrive off of their current fan base despite not even releasing any new material. Im so sick of hearing about them to be quite honest.
>>
>>63635763

its true, if they had died in a plane crash in 2006 after 10k days they would have been more respected, and even more respected if they died in 2003 after lateralus.

sometimes persisting can damage ones rep
>>
The issue I have with Tool is that their fans act like the band are the most artistic thing in metal and the band themselves, especially MJK, have this kind of aloof attitude. The problem is the music is so formulaic. There's nothing particularly unique about it.

I'd rather listen to something like Neurosis.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.