[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some albums that could be considered an introduction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: American_football_band_lp_cover.png (109 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
American_football_band_lp_cover.png
109 KB, 316x316
What are some albums that could be considered an introduction to /mu/-core music. I like stuff like American Football but jumping right to stuff like pic related was maybe a bit much. I don't want to force myself to like anything but maybe looking for a happy medium between the two.

There have to be some people on this board who aren't blindly infatuated with shit like beefheart and spiderland.
>>
It honestly doesn't get much easier than this album. Whats too overwhelming about this anon?
>>
Is this a joke?
>>
I feel many people make the mistake of purely listening to /mu/core when really getting into music and/or start browsing /mu/. Those bands and albums are critically acclaimed across the board (mostly) because of their musical influence and their unique or special sound, you won't see the appeal of something like Animal Collective or American Football if you don't know what other bands of their respective genres sound like.
Part of the reason I like american football's self titled so much is because I listened to math rock for about three years before even finding out about it.

>>63669347
I don't think it's about the album being overwhelming or being hardly accessible but about spotting its unique aspects
>>
>>63669347
Sorry I am retarded and tired. Meant to say I really like pic related but listening to most of the other stuff on here is strange, like spiderland and especially beefheart.
>>
>>63669347
>>63669378
It's a bit slow for first /mu/core
>>
File: 39.jpg (327 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
39.jpg
327 KB, 2197x1463
Ahahahahahahahahaha
First of all read the sticky
Secondly... American Football a "bit much"? Are you 10 years old?
>>
>>63669378
Not a joke. I honestly don't get how people here like beefheart. I know different people like different things but I find it hard to believe the first time you heard that you said "yup this is great and not a jumbled mess"
>>
>>63669504
Anyone who can wrap their head around people liking different things want to give me some suggestions? or is everyone here actually this pretentious
>>
>>63669453
beefheart is definitely not for everyone, so dont beat yourself up for not getting into TMR. I would say definetly keep listening to spiderland, for me and most others is was boring and seemed overrated for the first couple listens, but now its one of my favorite albums.
>>
>>63669215
Dude Spiderland is pretty fucking good.
>>
>>63669453
Try Radiohead
>>
>>63669640
Not saying it's bad, just didn't like it the first go around. But people on here usually attack others for not liking what they like. Just looking for some suggestions more like American Football
>>
>>63669518
I came mostly from a hardcore punk background when I first heard Trout Mask and I loved it the second Frownland came on. Either you like it or you don't. If you don't, expand your musical taste in another direction and come back to it later.
>>
>>63669215
This has to be a joke...
>>
>>63669717
Try cap'n jazz, joan of arc, Algernon cadwalker, and slint
>>
>>63669717
If you don't like how people here act you can always leave
>>
>>63669717
Like American Football? Captain Beefheart and Slint are your best bets.
>>
>>63669717
If you don't like something after the first listen, don't come and complain on mu. Give it a few more listen's to settle in and allow yourself to figure why you don't like it so you can have some actual discussion.

Bands like AF:
>Cap'n Jazz
>Owls
>Mineral
>Midwest emo in general
AF is really one of a kind in the genre because of how soft and careful it sounds compared to most midwest emo which is mostly just emotional alt rock.
>>
File: a0755689663_5.jpg (199 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a0755689663_5.jpg
199 KB, 700x700
>>63669717
If you want more like american football, definetly check out This town needs guns - Animals
>>
File: Salamander_Man.png (242 KB, 648x563) Image search: [Google]
Salamander_Man.png
242 KB, 648x563
>>63669518
some music basicly requires you to be able to play an instrument and know music theory to be able to appreciate it at all, sometimes even having background knowledge of the genre or the whole development of music is also needed. i mean to be able to be amazed by something you gotta be able to know how hard it actually is. you can't understand a genius without knowing what makes a genius.

i love spiderland for example, one of my favourite albums, but i do play guitar and loved the genre before i knew spiderland. and its super interesting to go back and see where some of the bands i've been listening to got their influences from and seeing how they build on it, what was better in the original, things the newer iterations tried to imitate but didn't get right. see the original thought that was in spiderland which made it so great.

on the other hand i'm not a big beefheart fan. i don't understand the genre and don't listen to similar music so i'm just not getting it. maybe some day i will make an effort. idk. or animal collective, i see their appeal, i can understand why ppl like them but just dont like them myself.

idk i guess just listen to the stuff you like and search for similar music and eventually you'll end up at the patrician stuff because that is often the "best" of their respective genre and it's the logical conclusion to eventually end up there!?
>>
>>63669453
>>57048159 (You)
Try listening to TMR. Then have breakfeast, soybeans of course. After you eat have a shower where you listen to Trout Mask Replica again. As a cleanser, go for a run where you can listen to a lighter album like Safe As Milk or even Bongo Fury. When you get back and it's lunch time, listen to Trout Mask Replica while you mash your soybeans. Then you can read and interpret the lyrics to Trout Mask Replica, of course having the album playing in the background so you're 100% focused.
>>
>>63669807

I would suck algernon's dicks if they returned for a show
>>
Algernon cadwallader
>>
>>63669215
Start with the most basic /mu/core imaginable.
>anything by Radiohead
>ITAOTS
>MPP
>Hospice
>Loveless
>MBDTF
>Lift Your Skinny Fists
Don't post again until you've at least tried all of these.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.