[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest question /mu/ Does scaruffi even know what he is talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: bait.png (60 KB, 528x628) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
60 KB, 528x628
Honest question /mu/
Does scaruffi even know what he is talking about? Like, when he, for example, made this list, did he use objective standpoints? Is he an experienced musician or something?
>>
My favourite part is how he tells you to skip #1 when #3 is even more inaccessible.
>>
>>66407883
Faust is definitely not as inaccessible as Trout Mask Replica by a long shot
>>
>>66407883
he says go to 2 and 6 first

which is still dumb because it implies the doors isn't the most accessible album on the list
>>
>>66407883
I don't think he had inaccessibility in mind but rather misunderstanding in mind. It's much easier to mistake TMR as complete shit if you're new to avant garde rock music than Faust.
>>
>>66407883
>Faust I
>Watered down jazz
>Watered down classical
>Watered down rock riffs
>Watered down musique concrete
>inaccessible
Once you get past the Le weird/Le whacky man aspect of it, the album's very easy to get.
>>
>>66407903
DGMW, Faust is probably one of my top ten albums, but TMR has blues influence with a little bit of bass clarinet. Faust is just off the charts with random noises and audio.
>>
>>66407915
Out of the whole list, not just what OP posted from it, the most accessible is definitely either The River or Blonde on Blonde.
>>
>>66407915
Can you read?

>>66407957
That's probably the worst reductionist argument I've ever seen. Reducing TMR to blues influence with bass clarinet is bullshit and you know it. I love Faust and I still can't into TMR, it's incredibly cacophonous and pretty much undigestable unless you know what to look for.
>>
>Honest question
>Does scaruffi even know what he is talking about?
No.
>>
>>66408025
Once you get past the vocals, I found it very easy to listen to. It's got catchy choruses that just sound like they've been shoved in a blender. Stop trying if you can't get it. It's just not for you.
>>
>>66408052
This
He thinks his opinions on music and politics matter because he has a degree in Cognitive Science
Hint: Just because you are knowledgeable in one field doesn't mean you know shit in others
He probably surrounds himself with dumb women who agree with everything he says because he says it with confidence
>>
>>66408096
I'm not actively trying to get into it, I listen to it once in a while to see if it'll click. I enjoy a few songs on it though. The vocals really aren't the issue for me at all.
>>
>>66408149
Is that the only CB album you've listened to?
>>
>>66408177
Nope, I love Safe as Milk, Lick My Decals Off, Shiny Beast and Doc at the Radar Station.
>>
Pleasure isn't an especially significant part of his criteria. Not in the sense that catchy/melodic = good. But he recognized quality in more subtle ways.

He values originality more than anything else I think. In that sense, his list are pretty great.
Look at that top 10, there is no disputing that no rock band/solo act was producing music like that at the time. Entire genres were established with these albums as precedent.
>>
Art is subjective. If you want to organize albums and bands into lists to satisfy your own autistic tendencies than go for it, but don't act like your opinion carries any weight. That being said I still think the opinion of someone who listens to more music has more merit.
>>
>>66407835
Scaruffi knows what he's talking about to a certain degree. He basis his ratings off of innovation and creativity primarily, and if you accept that, then these albums are all fantastic choices. You could still argue about what goes where, because ultimately what makes an album better or worse than another is subjective. This is his rating. I don't think Scaruffi is right about everything, but I think his opinion is well-informed enough to be considered. I honestly can't think of another living music critic who is better. Or, personally, more reliable; I can almost always trust that something scaruffi gave a 7 or higher will be something I like, and that an 8 will almost always be fantastic.

That said, honest question /mu/,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg6igS4Oz8I

Was this the best album of 2014?
>>
>>66408132
You just sound jealous because he has bitches and degrees while you got nothing but your dick in your hand
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.