[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: daw_users.jpg (797 KB, 1861x764) Image search: [Google]
daw_users.jpg
797 KB, 1861x764
old thread. >>66342355

What do you think to the latest in my series of politicians rapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dV3E6mN4mc
>>
>>66391072
Don't bother with LMMS it's shit.
I love Linux but it's bollocks for electronic music. For live stuff it's fine, but for midi just use windows.
>>
>>66391831
"shit" and "bollocks" are very helpful. I'm extremely principled in my Linux use and I'd have to find this software absolutely unusable to consider keeping any form of Windows on my computer.
Since I suppose you used it, would you have any idea how I can keep JACK from hijacking my audio devices and leaving me unable to even use youtube?
>>
>>66391943
>Since I suppose you used it, would you have any idea how I can keep JACK from hijacking my audio devices and leaving me unable to even use youtube?
Can't be done, deal with it.

And to give you an idea of just how shit LMMS is, it still hasn't implemented copy and paste for patterns. I'm serious.

I'm posting this comment from Linux Mint. I do everything (video editing included) on Linux, apart from midi stuff.
>>
Is it okay to post WIPs here?
>>
>>66392626
I think that's the point of these threads. It's certainly not to troubleshoot my OS issues.
>>
>>66392677
In that case, here's one. I'm a beginner and wrote this song to practice on my melody composing. My main fear is that my melodies will either be too repetitive or too static.

https://clyp.it/t2izrzrp
>>
https://clyp.it/rwgtjiq3
I'm working on this, what do you guys think?

>>66391943
When it comes to multi-connection sound in Linux it's pretty shit at it, so I suggest you emulate a DAW in Wine, because DAWs like FL Studio will work with multiple connections.
>>
File: drake_no.png (444 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
drake_no.png
444 KB, 800x600
>>66393002
>I suggest you emulate a DAW in Wine,
>>
>>66393102
There's nothing wrong with that, on some DAWs though you might experience slow downs, which arent that bad. I get low latency on most of the DAWs I tried for Linux so if you don't want to emulate it just get Windows or something (even though I hate Windows with all my heart)
>>
>>66393130
>I get low latency on most of the DAWs I tried for Linux
Are you talking about trying DAWs in wine, or native Linux ones?

Because using wine with midi software is a colossal pain.

Which ones have you used successfully?
>>
https://clyp.it/ljrankqu?token=3c31c8eb8856f5891176908ea798da7a

Part of something I'm working on. It's not mixed yet but would appreciate feedback!
>>
>>66393179
Native Linux, I don't have any MIDI controllers with me right now (I'm not at home) but I've tried Bitwig Studio and Renoise for Linux and they both gave me latency issues. On wine however I tried FL Studio and Ableton. Ableton was a bit slow and used up all of my CPU but FL was fine.
>>
>>66393207
Also, I used Renoise on wine and it worked way better than the native one for some reason.
>>
File: average_fruityloops_user.jpg (38 KB, 702x468) Image search: [Google]
average_fruityloops_user.jpg
38 KB, 702x468
>>66393207
Shame FL is the only thing you got to work.
>>
>>66392858
The melody isn't really my thing but its not necessarily bad. I would suggest bringing other elements in sooner however, that single melody gets very monotonous if it takes an entire minute for something else to happen.
>>
https://clyp.it/ygup2wn2
thoughts on this?
It isn't finished, obviously, but you can get the idea of what i'm going for in this beat
>>
what does /prod/ thinks about my trap beat?
https://clyp.it/lj14wxpq
PLEASE RESPONDE
>>
Don't die
>>
Do splitting your instruments loaded in kontakt into several instances of kontakt is consuming more ram or more demanding for the cpu?
If yes how much roughly?

>>66394193
It's decent

>>66393002
what is it even desu
>>
anyone have recs on music theory/production/etc books?
>>
what is a cheap and good DJ controller please?
>>
File: the drop.jpg (104 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
the drop.jpg
104 KB, 960x960
>>66391789
ableton should be pic related
>>
>>66394193
sounds like shit but the voice clip makes up for it
>>
rate my west africa

https://clyp.it/35zuwv2n
>>
File: FIN 0023.jpg (872 KB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
FIN 0023.jpg
872 KB, 1100x1100
i feel like i need drugs to get what the fuck im trying to do with the cover squares
>did this 5 min ago
>>
>>66397885
then get some drugs u cunt
>>
>>66397225
literally keyboard and mouse
>>
>>66397225
a couple of pans and chanting suffice for everyone
>>
>>66397559
that looks nothing like me, OPs pic is more accurate
>>
>>66397952
OP's pic is how you see yourself, that pic i posted is how everyone else sees you
>>
>>66397957

>uses BitchWig or FLS
>>
What about Mixcraft?
>>
>>66397988
>or logic or reason maybe renoise so much kek
>>
Does anyone else like to have background sound while they produce? What podcasts do you guys listen to?
>>
>>66398243
Not at all
>>
How often do you guys use fader automation in your tracks?
>>
>>66398457
Quite often i guess
>>
Here's some bullshit I'm working on. Feedback appreciated.
>>
>>66399518
it's pretty much null
>>
>>66399518
Fucking quick reply posted on its own.
https://clyp.it/irdsh1bb

>>66398457
I try to avoid using fader automation in favor of channel volume automation to preserve a mix.
>>
>>66399574
Only criticism is between 30s-1:15 the track gets overly repetitive, add variation somehow.

Overall great sound, I like what you're going for.
>>
>>66398457
All the time Audiomulch is pretty much based on automation
>>
I made this: https://clyp.it/0ob1j4la and I don't really know what to do next. I'm very new to this kind of thing. Also how do I make it so the hi-hats don't sound really shit when I upload the file, the exported wav sounds fine on my PC.
>>
>>66398243
dude wtf
>>
>>66397988
>he makes music
>>
>>66400817
It's alright

>Also how do I make it so the hi-hats don't sound really shit when I upload the file, the exported wav sounds fine on my PC.
Idk clyp compress the file maybe it is particularly bad with your hats
>>
I'm trying guys...

Working on this continues, can you please tell me what should I do now? I still have to train my ear for sound design, I can't always tell if the sounds are good or bad.

At least I finally started doing vertical approach, I need to make this part sound good before continuing, I NEED to finish this track.

https://clyp.it/j0c2ybix

My problem is that my workflow is a terrible mess. I also just learned that putting same reverbs on multiple inserts is not a good idea, so I will have to redo it all by putting those inserts into a single send.

I also still have a trouble making the vocals more present in the main part. I've been trying with EQ and stereo shaper but it's not enough. Btw I fucked up now, it sounds too dry, I'll fix it.

Also, those drums will definitely change, I hate them now. They are boring.
>>
>every riff I come up with that actually sounds good sounds to close to another song
>>
>>66403401
yeah but if you add more stuff to it, like a B part, C part etc, what are the odds that those are also going to sound like another song? After a while it becomes just like 20 seconds of your song that sounds like another song, and no one really cares
>>
>>66397867
>mfw no (you)s
>>
>>66397867
I would rate if I knew what I was listening to, sounds pretty good to a layman like myself
>>
>distort samples on computer with logic pro x pedals
>sounds good
>distort samples by overloading preamps on 80s mixer
>sounds good
>distort samples using guitar pedals
>sounds really filtered

help
i posted about this a few days ago and since then i've tried reamping with the guitar pedals and it still sounds iffy
>>
>>66399734
I see what you mean, the sub bass is the only variation and it's harder to hear than I thought. Thanks for the input :)
>>
>>66397867
Sounds super cool, I'm really digging it. Maybe throw some more flamenco-ish guitar into it.
>>
>>66404070
>>66403942
Thanks lads
>>
>>66403258
Seems like you know what to do next based on your post. You're definitely right about not putting separate reverb for each insert because it can lead to disparate sound. Some of the vocal clips sound a little out of time. Not terrible though, keep working on it.
>>
>>66404158
Yeah, I also played a little with reverse reverbs, but it kinda doesn't fit (I'm probably doing it bad), will fix it.

I always wonder if I don't have good enough plugins and samples. I don't like the bass in the "drop" but I don't know what sound could work well there. That was Nexus 2 I believe, actually, a mix with Nexus and Harmless (yes, harmor is better but I can't fit it on my tiny screen, kek).
>>
>>66404237
In my opinion, the bass could use a little more funk and a clearer tone. Then again, I'm a bassist and I always want to add more funk.
>>
Thoughts on the sound/composition/mixing? Or just general thoughts, any feedback would be appreciated

https://clyp.it/2iu020gm
>>
>>66404819
Sounds a lot like Ben Prunty, the composer for the FTL soundtrack. I think I hear a chord in the bassline that's a little off, but the first part of its phrase is very cool. Maybe more of that.
>>
>>66400817
I don't hear a problem with the hi hats, they sound fine to me. The sample in the background sounds kind of repetitive tho, and could get boring after a while. i like it though

>>66403258
It sounds really murky around 0:19, and that piano sounds a bit weird to me. overall not bad

>>66404819
oh this sounds really neat, the static-y synth sounds really good in this. i'd turn it down or eq it a bit so it doesn't seem as overpowering
>>
File: TR-808-Roland.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1440) Image search: [Google]
TR-808-Roland.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1440
>>66391789
New to the game. So how do good electronic/hip hop producers use 808s? What's the easiest way to be able to play them as an instrument instead of having seperate .wav files for each key?
>>
>>66403964
>guitar pedals
That's why. Guitar signal levels and impedances are way different than the line level signals you're putting through them. Guitar pedals aren't designed for that kind of signal. You're going to need to be around 10% of your device's output to get anything usable.
>>
>>66406316
i'm not putting line level signals through them. i said i'm reamping them, i.e., bringing the line level signals down to instrument level
>>
Does anyone have a decent ableton crack / DL link?
>>
>>66406388
Forgive me. This is /prod/ so I'm used to having to inform people about that.

I read some anecdote somewhere where Edgar Froese of TD had a Prophet 5 with a voice out mod, and he used 5 big muffs to give the synth light distortion for each voice, since running a polyphonic source into distortion just makes everything too muddy.

Idk what your sample is, but it might have too many harmonics.

Personally, I just use preamps of old mixers like you mentioned for anything synth and sample related.
>>
>>66406587
warez-bb brah
>>
I have a pod studio ux 2 and a lexicon alpha, mainly record with the ux2, MY QUESTION IS do I need a really reamp? I'm switching over to using my new pdmic78 and I have a nady sp1 for fucks and I'll admit that my songs when rendered into wave out of Reaper it can be just a hint too quiet. If not a preamp, how would I make my finished master a higher volume in general without it piercing?
>>
File: tumblr_nvoxqpMl3W1tbck1eo1_500.jpg (161 KB, 435x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvoxqpMl3W1tbck1eo1_500.jpg
161 KB, 435x750
Hello guys, join our friendly /prod/ discord if you don't have IRC.

Still trying to grow the community but we have some nice discussions.

https://discord.gg/qwbmE
>>
>>66405680
The 808 is an analog drum machine, no wav files in there?
If you mean what's the best was to use 808 samples then maybe try some hing like the transistor revolution 808 which uses 25000 samples to recreate the 808 & 909 machines...or just google search for 808 kits and load them up into your sampler.
>>
>>66407398
what I'm asking is how good producers record their 808s. Obviously hardly anyone actually has a real one so my guess is they load it thru samples in their DAW. Just asking what's the easiest way to be able to record them through your keyboard
>>
>>66407585
Good producers will plug the outputs from the 808 Ito their audio interface or mixer and usually record it from there. With samples you would load them into a VSTi sampler and use your DAW or a midi controller to trigger the sounds. No idea how you'd record them through your keyboard, what keyboard is it?
>>
>>66407585
If by good you mean professional producers then I'd image if they use 808 sounds regularly then they would probably have the real 808 £2000 for an 808 isn't a massive amount of money in the grand scheme of things if you are setting up a studio...besides it's hardly going to go down in price so it's also a good investment
>>
>>66407793
Got an axiom with 81 keys. I'm just wondering cause I see lots of producer videos where they seem to be triggering a really fat sounding 808 off their midi controller. Is there some hidden really easy way that I'm just not seeing?
>>
Why is this so incredibly hard? There is so much shit going on, and I'm already in prod for a few years. There is no clear workflow to follow.
How many of you did actually go to school for music production/audio engineering?
Damn, I always wonder how did all these famous producers get to a decent level. Was it all just experimenting or did they have mentors and good learning resources.

Are there some good courses online? Is Lynda worth it?
>>
>>66407891
Ah ok so you won't be recording it with your keyboard. What you will be doing is triggering the samples from the keyboard, most samplers will let you assign the indervidual drum sounds to each key on your midi controller so when you press that key it triggers the kick for example.
>>
>>66407984
yeah I get that, thank you. But I was wondering how to get the 808 sample to play in different keys. Or do you need a new 808 file for each key?
>>
>>66407971
What are you trying to do?

Work flow is something that you just get into after spending a fuck load of time with your instruments or DAW.
I'm self taught, I just downloaded cubase back in the 90's and worked out how to use it by reading the manual and playing around for a few years. Back then there was literally no resources like YouTube. I must admit it can be really frustrating trying to learn how to do stuff on your own, but the advantages are all the other stuff you learn along the way that you wouldn't ever of discovered if someone just shows you.
>>
>>66408126
>>66407971
Jesus Christ...my thoughts man. I finally have time now and a great computer I built to get started but I thought it'd be more fun than frustrating - it clearly isn't. Just making your own drums alone is challenge enough. But my guess is that if you stick with it the frustration makes way for incredibly stimulating fun, no?
>>
>>66408043
What you want the kick drum to be pitched up and down the keyboard? Just set the "zone" or whatever your sampler calls it (where you assign the sample to the keyboard) to the whole keyboard or 3 octaves...or 1 octave or whatever you like. You can set it to play one key, all keys or any keys you like?
>>
>>66408043
It will be slightly different for different samplers, but almost every sampler has the concept of "zones" where you can assign a sample to be mapped to various keys. For example, I could map the 808 kick to keys C0 through C1 on the midi keyboard. Then there's the concept of pitch tracking. If you want the sample to change pitch as you play across the keys, that's usually an additional setting that you need to enable, "pitch tracking" it might be called. Finally you have the concept of a "home key" or a "default key" or something like this. This will be the key on the keyboard that plays back the sample exactly as it originally sounded, without modifying the pitch. In the example above, I might set the "home key" to be C0, thus C0 will be the original 808 kick drum sample, C#0 will be pitched up a half step, etc.
>>
>>66408126
I still have trouble with sound design, choosing the right sounds and/or making them sound good. I think I don't have a good ear for that thing (yet). Then I still lack some theory and my mixing is not good enough, sounds don't always fit. All in all, my sounds don't sound professional and I'm not even sure anymore if I should use plugins and samples like VEE drums, Addictive drums, Nexus, Harmor, whatever else or not. I guess I don't want to go full into audio engineering aspect because I'm not interested in that, but I feel I will not learn much if I just put some finished sound in a channel and call it a day.

I never ever finish a single piece and I fucking hate myself because of it. I really want to dive deep now, but the more I read and watch professionals talk about it, the more I feel lost in all of this.
>>
>>66408307
Really vague advice but here it is: music isn't that hard, don't psyche yourself out, it's just another form of communication like language
>>
>>66408188
Yep, just stick with it.

If you are expecting to be as good as the artists you look upto without putting any time in (years) and lots of work you will get really fucking frustrated. I soon realised that and just enjoy my time in the studio now. It's incredible how much there is to learn and that's one of the things that keeps it really interesting for me.
I also find that spending time doing different things is really helpful to stop myself from getting pissed off with certain things. If I'm having trouble arranging, then I'll leave it and work on some mixing or effects or sound design or something.
Just stick at it as its so much fun once you get into it a bit more. Even looking back at the last 6 months of stuff I've done I can see lots of little improvements.
Also on a side note I've never had any college, I can't play any instruments and I don't know any chords or scales...that's pretty bad I guess.
>>
Made this like a year ago lol
should I try to fix it?
https://clyp.it/aaw1vjdf
>>
I think I may have overcooked my drums. second opinion? not really an arrangement yet, just adding parts

https://clyp.it/2jgtlwcm
>>
File: overcooked.jpg (81 KB, 634x402) Image search: [Google]
overcooked.jpg
81 KB, 634x402
>>66408483
>>
>>66408475

do it, es gut
>>
>>66408307
One thing I find helpful (it may not work for you but) is to set my Daw up like a studio, this takes a bit of time but I find it really handy. So I'll chose my instruments as if they were expensive and just load in a minimal amount. I use 2 classic drum machine kits in sample form, 2 synths, a handful of effects ( 1 reverb, 1 delay, 2 compressors etc) and a small selection of samples. Then I set them all up inside the daw and make that my starting template. This way every time I open my daw I have a few familiar instruments, effects and samples to use and learn inside out.
>>
>>66408307
I still have trouble with sound design it's just how it is, I spent a whole day trying to get a nice bass sound for something I was working on and nothing sounded right to me, it just happens sometimes.
I've also not finished anything in over ten years, don't beat yourself up about that too much, we all have strengths and weaknesses, mine is defiantly finishing tracks, but that's also due to not really feeling like I need to right now, I'm not making an album I'm just experimenting and learning. Maybe once I'm better I might try and start finishing some things, who knows I might even make an album.
>>
https://clyp.it/xto01uzw
any and all feedback is appreciated, first time dicking around in FL studio
>>
>>66408767

dat 80s snare needs more gated reverb

quite liked it
>>
>>66406638
>but it might have too many harmonics.
thanks, that's probably it. they still sound fine through logic pro x's distortions so i'll just use that and render the samples with the effect already on them.
>>
Okay, lads, I'm gonna share something I made when I was like 14 or some shit. And it's honestly like really really bad. Like really, really, really, bad.

I'm not even kidding, it's just fucking bad. I have another track where I go full autismo if you guys are interested in listening to anything terrible as well.

https://clyp.it/f3h31ao2
>>
>>66409646
also worth noting, they were created by just copying and pasting audio files into audacity
>>
Literal autism

https://clyp.it/nteeuinw
>>
So I'm about to download ableton tonight because I really liked the trial but I see "Live 9 software license sold separately." on my Cart page for the Live 9 Suite.

Fuck is that about? Do I have to buy ableton Live 9 Suite and then also buy the $50 software license too?
>>
>>66409332
I'll read up on how to do that, thanks!
>>
>>66409646
>>66410004

wew lad, thats pretty bad.

In all seriousness though, if you want to get better at producing, try torrenting a decent daw and play around for a while. No producer was amazing when they first started.

Start by having some fun with production, and eventually you might find yourself starting to grasp the basics. Google and youtube don't hurt either. You don't have to be a goddamned modern mozart to enjoy making music.
>>
>>66410083

The fee is for a software licence when you buy the boxed version - Intro $20, Standard $50, Suite $50
>>
>>66411245
Ohhhh okay so it's irrelevant to just downloading it?
>>
>>66411288

Yep - only applies if you want the boxed installer & content discs and printed manuals.
>>
HEY
YOU
STOP RIGHT THERE
Please listen to this song: https://clyp.it/oq0j01xb
Suggestions for improvement?
Are you feelin' it?
>>
File: DX9.jpg (200 KB, 1906x781) Image search: [Google]
DX9.jpg
200 KB, 1906x781
theres a dx27 at a pawn shop for 130$. IS it worth? I might be getting an sp404 along with it.
>>
File: dx27big.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1468) Image search: [Google]
dx27big.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1468
>>66411706
wrong picture oops
>>
>>66411706

>2016
>getting a hardware digital synth

maybe if it was $20
>>
>>66411706
try to talk them down but that sounds like a good price
>>
>>66411706
I wouldn't pay $130 for one, no way. My DX100 cost me £40, but that was about 10 years ago. I think they're in hotter demand now 'cos they're pretty great for minimal tech.
>>
>>66411866
hmm thanks, im just gonna save my money for something better.
>>
File: sas.gif (23 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
sas.gif
23 KB, 267x200
What equipment and setup would you recommend to someone new that's wanting to delve into making electronic ambient/drone/downtempo type music?

I've really been getting back into Boards of Canada and love their warm, shimmering, analogue sound, as well as other IDM and ambient musicians.
I already have some instruments, (electric guitar, bass, and a microkorg), but have never tried to record and mix shit outside of fucking around in Audacity.

I've been trying to determine what DAW to get and I've been torn between Ableton and Logic, but I'm honestly open to anything.

Also, I have a Tascam Portastudio 4-track mixer that I'd like to incorporate for live tape loops, but have barely learned how to use because it didn't come with a manual and it's been difficult trying to find one online for the model I have.
>>
>>66412073
I personally would recommend Ableton as a DAW, but that's only because I've used it for about 9 years now. The interface just seems amazingly intuitive to me. It feels a lot more organic than Logic. I couple Ableton with a Tascam, recording directly into the DAW and then bouncing it onto tape, then back into Ableton- basically, using the Portastudio as a means of giving my music authentic tape saturation. You might enjoy doing the same, especially for a BoC sound.
>>
Ok so I have this
https://clyp.it/53aqbedq
how do I make this into a full song? I get here all the time and then just hit a wall
>>
>>66412825
Learn a bit about song structure. Also spend more time writing and producing, because that's pretty whack yo, no offense.

>>66408767
This is pretty neat, I wish some sounds were clearer and better mixed, otherwise, I like the feel of this.

>>66408483
not digging that open hihat that you can hear right at 7 and throughout, but the drums sound neat. I think they're clashing with the rest of the instrumentation though, when the other tracks come in(which sound pretty boss BTW) but maybe clashing isn't the right word, I just feel like your drums get drowned out when the other tracks come in, but like you said, you're still arranging and presumably mixing.

>>66408390
agreed
>>
What is the effect featured at the beginning of many electronic/vaporwave songs that is similar to fading in, but almost sounds as if one was rolling a window down to outside music? The song that comes to mind is 420 by Macintosh, where it is featured in the beginning. Thanks
>>
>>66414235
this
>>
>>66391789
No Pure Data? Plebs
>>
>>66414235
band-pass filtering; it's essentially a variable EQ that cuts frequencies above and below whatever threshold you set it at.

there's also high-pass filtering (cuts only frequencies below the threshold) and low-pass filtering (cuts only frequencies above the threshold)
>>
>>66395029
>all people around me got replies but not
fuck you too /prod/
>>
>>66398009
I was just about to ask. Mixcraft never gets any love.
>>
Is there a babbys first music production site/wiki or something? I'm interested in recording some of my shitty guitar riffs and my new amp has a direct USB out. I'm also interested in making shitty synthwave. I know nothing so any information would be helpful.
>>
No LMMS fags? I like it, but it sounds like garbage sometimes.
>>
>>66416129
If you just want to start by recording guitar, get Reaper. It is "free for 60 days", then you can buy a license or just keep using it.

Then get some free synth vsts and make your synth wave.
>>
>>66416918
Thank you for the answer.
>>
Hey prody
How's work?
>>
>>66391789
Hey guys.

How come I'm not uploading? Fucking share ratio is still at 0.022.
What's up? Since this is /prod/ I know you guys can help me out
>>
>>66417944
context friend
>>
Who /reaktor/ here?
>>
>>66413530

Cheers man. You're an asset to /prod/
>>
>>66395029

Bit cheesy in terms of sounds desu, cant comment on mixing as I'm just listening on my phone speaker
>>
File: 1393715006125.gif (1012 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1393715006125.gif
1012 KB, 500x281
How good does your music need to be before you start sending demos to labels?
>>
Middle part of a DnB track.
No FX Samples yet.
Also too much bass on the kick drum.
Aside from that.
How does it flow?

https://clyp.it/yqkioi55

>>66419980
From what I've heard theres no rules on it.
If you feel like what you've done is good&professional, send it to a label asking for feedback.
Don't do it too often though.
No label will give you any attention after you've sent them 50 bad demos
>>
File: scale.png (446 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
scale.png
446 KB, 1000x600
advice appreciated

>wonky
>rnb
>mess

https://clyp.it/azyzxhyc
>>
>>66417217
Fucking terrible m808
Standing on concrete all day for a week
Back fucking kills
>>
File: Busy-work-beats.jpg (13 KB, 180x240) Image search: [Google]
Busy-work-beats.jpg
13 KB, 180x240
What do you guys think about busy works beats?
>>
What do you lads think so far?

https://clyp.it/qtcalils
>>
Need a new mixer for live blip blorps. My current set of mixers fall under the status of two few channels, too large, too DJ, and too rackmount. The big one has enough channels, but it's gigantic since it's built off of modular channel strips. The rackmount one can only be used vertically, so it only makes sense in a rack.

The stuff already in my setup neccesitates 2 stereo channels, and 4 mono channels, but open to more than that. USB recording isn't anything I'm concerned with.

I was looking at the Xenyx X1222, as it seems small enough but has enough channels. I know people hate Behrigner, so I'm open to suggestions in the same price/capability range
>>
>>66420388
I think the riser before the drop could be a bit louder. Other than that it sounds great!

>>66420448
I like it.
>>
Working on a trap song, in respect to the mixdown and mastering what does /mu/ think?
https://clyp.it/fzoa0ri2
I've listened to the song so much that my ability to effectively scrutinise my song has been dulled.
>>
>>66419980
Speaking from what little experience I have, your songs just have to be good, if you can write good music, but aren't the best at producing/mixing/sound design or whatever, labels can help you out by getting your shit mastered and mixed, but like you've probably heard, you can polish a piece shit all you want, it's still a piece of shit. so just write music you are impressed by and that you enjoy.

>>66420388
Do you mean, how does it flow from the intro to the breakdown? if so, I think it flows pretty well, and I think all the harmony parts are really great, they remind me of a bud of mine who also makes music, although his drums are a bit calmer usually.

>>66420448
digging the hell out of this man! if I were you I would fill out that kick drum a little teeny tiny bit, I thought it was hollow and weak during the intro, but when the rest of the song comes in it feels fitting, but if i'm being picky, you can definitely fill it out and put some mid range into it. and DESU, I'm not digging that melody that starts at around 2:38

>>66420497
hate him, but he makes some good beats sometimes

>>66420849
the kick is shite, and the bass synth isn't that good, but the rest of it is pretty great, fix those two things and I think you got yourself a banger
>>
>>66421939
>https://clyp.it/fzoa0ri2
Boost the sub-bass
>>
>>66421939
I think it sounds nice so far, but it can use some reverb here or there, or something, to give it a bit more depth
>>
>>66420849
this shit is so smooth. But add what he says:
>>66422006

The kick should come through stronger imo
>>
>>66420849
>https://clyp.it/qtcalils
somewhere during the middle, you should fade in the main synth and fade out the other stuff while layering in diff sounds to create a peak then do some crazy shit

you've got a good base, now make it a phat track yo
>>
>>66422006
>hate him, but he makes some good beats sometimes
why?
>>
>>66422006
>>66422052
>>66422124
Thanks guys. Not sure what to do about the kick+bass though.
>>
>>66409646
>>66410004
If we're posting shitty tunes from our teens I did this at 16~. 99% sure it's a microkorg but idk.

https://clyp.it/lsq0z30u
>>
>>66422316
I don't like his opinions on how to make music or how he thinks people make music or how he thinks certain stuff sounds, and I don't like how little he knows about certain concepts, or how poorly he describes and explains them.
>>
>>66422006
thanks for the feedback, appreciate it - i'll omit that vocal melody
>>
https://clyp.it/deioexhy

this sound finished? I think im finished wew lads mixing this was not fun
>>
Prod, I have Ableton and FL. Where do I start.
>>
>>66422919
beautiful

nu-dub
>>
>>66422947
Avant-garde is the only kind of music /mu/ takes seriously. I suggest buying a keyboard and a mic, setting them on fire while speaking in tongues. Add percussion, make it really lo-fi, ~32 kbps, become a /mu/ god.
>>
>>66422588
Any alternatives? I've been learning a bit from him but I wonder who's better.
>>
>>66422958
w-whats nu-dub
>>
>>66422947
Ditch FL, start with Ableton.

Youtube: Ableton basics
>>
Wasn't there a link in op post on how to /prod/?
>>
>>66423054
By all means, keep watching his stuff, I just never vibed with him, although I do watch some of his videos sometimes. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend watching strictly one guy, I would recommend watching his stuff, along with other guys teaching the same stuff you're trying to learn from him, it makes for a well rounded learning experience.
>>
>>66424417
We're trying to be taken seriously, so we took that link out
>>
https://clyp.it/nu5pzdjn

my friend wanted multiple ideas so i dicked around with some concepts on this.

what do i add to make it like..more..full?
>>
>>66391831
lol i just installed that and uninstalled it in 10 minutes before coming here

I lost protools and all the torrents now are shit. I'm looking for an alternative any suggestions anyone?
>>
>>66424887
>what you said
how does that work? just looks to me that you just started getting lazy and forgot to put it on.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 516x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 516x402
>love prog house / techno
>no one listens to it
>therefore no one will listen to the tracks I make

I don't have the skills to make future bass yet. Should I just make the best damn music I can and want to hear?
>>
>>66424848
I watch that mr different guy too, but I am starting to find him pretty useless since he makes nothing but generic dark trap.Also Based Gutta but that guy is mostly a living meme so can't take him to seriously I guess.

Any other youtubers making tutorials?
>>
>>66425018
I was just joking, I'm not sure what you're talking about, I stopped coming to /prod/ for a bit, so maybe I missed those links? You can look in the /mu/ archive for past /prod/ threads and see if you can find the link, or you can straight up ask here, me and others I'm sure, will be glad to help
>>
>>66425168
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6GebLoXLcC_xvWGI8JVJTw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnBxSfOzdOpU6ySNS8NVYUQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/SynthSchool/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRzsiP_aDWWLHV4-2LKBtg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIwSxDpqPoctBv1A8cakx3Q

theres a bunch of cool channels
>>
>>66425478
holy shit even telekom is promoting their beats these day

Thanks!
>>
>>66424966
>what do i add to make it like..more..full?

Some ideas:
>Add melody
>Add long evolving pads/sounds
>Add effects or samples

There is plenty of things to add, you just have to start somewhere. What you've got right now is a good base, expand!
>>
https://clyp.it/swhysw0q

Any ideas on how to make this less repetitive? Or maybe some mixing advice, I really don't know what's going on, since I'm using headphones.
>>
File: yes-no-villain.png (545 KB, 1059x403) Image search: [Google]
yes-no-villain.png
545 KB, 1059x403
just downloaded ableton, fucking around, it's a pretty cool program. i like it so far.

thoughts?
>hip hop
>sound design

https://clyp.it/0oxp04ef
>>
>>66425745
Drums after the drop sounds very far back. Bass does too. Those definitely need work.

Mix sound pretty muddy in general after the drop.

Maybe take a day off to rest your ears, then listen to similar DnB track you like first, and after that listen to your track. Then you'll probably notice immediately what needs work in your mix.
>>
>>66425822
Damn, this is incredible.
>>
>concerned my songs are too repetitive
>the genre I'm writing for is full of repetitive songs
For some reason I can listen to someone else's song that is repetitive and be fine but once I hear something I'm working on I get super critical and think people will be bored when really I'm being less repetitive than those other artists.
>>
>>66425883
this is /prod/ not /deardiary/
>>
>>66425836
Thanks, I thought about completly replacing the drums, but that's more of a last resort. At least I know that they're really a problem since you mentioned them first.
>>
serious, how do you pirate a daw now? literally everything i torrent gets a trojan in the patcher or keygen and is useless
>>
>>66425980

have you considered that the trojans were always there and your antivirus has just gotten better?
>>
>>66425980
Use a decent tracker site to dl the daw. Less likely to get a virus that way.
>>
>>66425901
this is /prod/ not /teenageshitheadstrytobethemostapathetic/
>>66425883
i feel the same way, i think it just comes from hearing your own things loop so many more times than you'd hear someone else's... and the fact that you made it and will never experience it from an outside perspective. can also be helpful to bear in mind that artists you know probably feel similarly about their work, nobody you listen to turns on their own shit and goes "YEAH IM FUKKEN SIKK, FLAWLESS TRACK"
>>
>>66426116
>this is /prod/ not /teenageshitheadstrytobethemostapathetic/
triggered
>>
>>66426174
NOW THAT'S A HOT TAKE!!! HE TOTALLY *WENT* THERE!!!

yawn
>>
>>66426116
>nobody you listen to turns on their own shit and goes "YEAH IM FUKKEN SIKK, FLAWLESS TRACK"

I don't know. At some point in time I liked Rusko and I can see him act that way.
>>
>>66426212
>NOW THAT'S A HOT TAKE!!! HE TOTALLY *WENT* THERE!!!
are you mad because your music is shit?
>>
>>66426268
WHAT AN IRREVERENT FARCE!!! IS *ANYONE* SAFE FROM YOUR COMICAL SKEWERINGS???
>>
>>66426116
>nobody you listen to turns on their own shit and goes "YEAH IM FUKKEN SIKK, FLAWLESS TRACK"
I do all the time, and I bet a lot of other actual popular and successful producers do to
>>
>>66426395
there's a difference between liking what you made and
>"YEAH IM FUKKEN SIKK, FLAWLESS TRACK"
if that's genuinely your reaction there's a good chance you're pretty obnoxious as a person
>>
>>66426417
>if that's genuinely your reaction there's a good chance you're pretty obnoxious as a person
So?
>>
>>66425961
They really stood out compared to how clean the drums in the intro sounded. And for a DnB track, drums and bass are the most important.
>>
>>66426302
>hey everybody!!!! i'm mad cause my music sucks!!!!!
>>
>>66426049
yes but that doesn't solve it tho cause i don't want viruses still

>>66426073
like what? kickass?
>>
>>66426451
well most people view being obnoxious as a bad thing, but i guess you're obnoxious enough to act like you're proud of it because you dont actually understand what's wrong with it lol
>>66426456
LOOK AT HIM GO!!! THERE'S NO *TELLING* WHAT KIND OF ZANY ZINGERS HE'S COOKING UP NEXT!!!!
>>
>>66418331
i do

instant interesting sounds with those effects

all of the synths sound great... almost feels like cheating.

Anybody found anything they really love in the user library?
>>
>>66426511
>well most people view being obnoxious as a bad thing
Most people also use cancerous platforms like twitter or facebook, most people listen and genuinely enjoy stuff like deadpool or the avengers, most people dislike the new ghostbusters because the trailer was shit..
my point is, the views of most people is hardly something I consider as important.
>>
>>66426668
woah dood, ur such a trailblazer!
>>
>>66420849
Small update. Changed the kick & bass a bit. Is it better now?

https://clyp.it/ecefw2wp
>>
>>66426689
u2
>>
any opinion on this WIP would b appreciated

https://clyp.it/gynkjrtz?token=4ed8caf72a9462642b9e50252b7fa835
>>
Tried to recreate this sound in 5 minutes.
How to git guder with this?

https://clyp.it/dpp5k3iu

It's the part 1:40 - 1:42 of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-5aUFoF9g

Clypit compresses it like a motherfucker though.

I think this shit could be really useful if I actually did it properly. I very rarely tried to recreate sounds. I think it could be a good way to learn and practice. Why don't I do it more often, idk.
>>
>>66427538
Yeah I still definitely lack the punch of the kick.
I'm not sure what sounds are there. I can hear crescendo on strings, I guess there is a reverse reverbed kick (which I did in the clypit), but I feel there is something more there.
>>
>>66405060
>>66405374
Thanks for the feedback, i worked on it some more

https://clyp.it/not0ibj4
>>
>>66391789
How do I even get started with creating a track? I watched like 20-30 15 minute long videos on people creating and explaining FL studio but I still don't get it. When I just "play around" I can't even get anything done I feel like I haven't learned anything. Should I maybe download another program - Not FL?

Fuck mayne.
>>
Be honest /prod/, how much do you produce out of the box?
>>
>>66428745
What do you mean by "out of the box"?
>>
>>66427987
>melody or melodies made out of whatever sound you want
>a few chords or one chord made out of whatever sound you want
>bassline made out of whatever sound you want
>drums made out of literally anything

that's basically it fFam
just make sure shit sounds good, mixwise, and most importantly, that it's as enjoyable to you as you can get it

hell you don't even need all of those things, if you want you can omit the chords, melody, or drums, but to be safe I would have some sort of bassline alongside whatever you choose. then get into making it into a song.
>>
>>66428762
by just using what came with your DAW
>>
question:

how do i save a single, sliced portion of an mp3 as its own file in FL studio? i enjoy working in the playlist to cut up existing songs, but i'd like to export some of them as separate files to use later. furthermore, how can i combine several cuts from the same track into one singular sample?

is this making sense? am i retarded?

inb4 edison pls
>>
>>66428745
>>66428891
about 75% not counting samples
i got a few vsts I downloaded that didn't come with my DAW, but I like the synths that come with the DAW i use, and I always default to using the default effects, to keep the cpu usage to a minimum
>>
>>66428891
FL Studio has a shit ton of basic drums so I use those a lot, I don't have any fancy reverb or compressor so I use the default ones, too lazy to get anything else.

Don't use default synth's though:

sylenth1+nexus+lounge lizard=win for me

By the way should I replace any of the default effects? Always thought they were alright, but starting to doubt myself, might get one of those fancy reverb's where you can choose if you want your piano/whatever to be in The Sidney Opera House, in a church etc
>>
>>66428989
>how do i save a single, sliced portion of an mp3 as its own file in FL studio
Go to Options < project general settings < data folder < then click on the little folder icon, and make a folder to save your project and it's audio files to. this is just for convenience, do it if you want, if you don't, the sample will save to another one of your sample folders, probably the folder you brought in the audio file from.
click the top left of the audio file where you see the small audio waveform icon, and choose 'make unique as sample' and thats it.

>furthermore, how can i combine several cuts from the same track into one singular sample
arrange them all the way you want, in one track on the playlist editor, and solo that track, then simply export them to wav. there are a few more ways to record and save audio files in FL, you should check them out, like the arm disk recording button in the mixer, and probably more. let me know if I didn't make any sense
>>
>>66412197
>I personally would recommend Ableton as a DAW, but that's only because I've used it for about 9 years now. The interface just seems amazingly intuitive to me. It feels a lot more organic than Logic. I couple Ableton with a Tascam, recording directly into the DAW and then bouncing it onto tape, then back into Ableton- basically, using the Portastudio as a means of giving my music authentic tape saturation. You might enjoy doing the same, especially for a BoC sound.
this is genius thx anon
>>
>>66429239
thank you! i figured it could be something as easy as exporting the track and just working with it from there. this has been driving me crazy, thank you again.
>>
>>66391789

I use sony vegas, what now
>>
I'm looking for a good bass guitar sound, what vst should I look for?
>>
>>66429565
no problem
>>
I went to Reaper and there's a delay turned on, not like a latency issue but the effect. I didn't enable it and it's not showing up anywhere what do i do?
>>
>>66429613
Do you make those youtube sound cutups? I don't know what they are called but like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLyQlfxiXc4
>>
>>66430598

I don't, sadly, cause that was great.
>>
>>66430598
they cut the tail, increase the pitch and create a rhythm out of it.
>>
>>66412197

>recording directly into the DAW and then bouncing it onto tape, then back into Ableton

does this happens simultaneously as you record or do you have to record to tape then later go back and bounce back into Ableton?
>>
How do you know when your sound is good? I literally can't tell, I don't know if I'm deaf or what. No idea how to train my ear for that shit.

https://clyp.it/dsaka4x3
>>
>>66431992
do you have any fx on that at all
>>
>>66432047
Some EQ and compressors.
See, I literally can't tell. Is it bad or what?
>>
>>66432069
well it just sounds like something out of an early 90s video game if that's what you were going for?
put some reverb on there, maybe a faint delay, slight panner, play around with it some more
>>
>>66432183
Holy fuck what am I doing so wrong that people constantly tell me "it sounds like a music from a video game"? That is the complete opposite of what I want. I just want to make a modern electronic, pop sounding beat, and I still have no idea how to achieve this after a few years of playing with DAW.

Why am I so deaf, anons?

Is this any better now?

https://clyp.it/repdudaa
>>
>>66432395
that sounds miles better
I'd personally dampen the claps just a tad bit so you don't have that overlap between the claps and the hihat, so just lowpass the higher ends of the claps until it all sounds cohesive
but that's just personal preference, it sounds fine as it is now
>>
>>66432651
Really? Ok, cool, cool.

I'll really start recreating sounds from songs now for practice.

Btw, now I'm not sure if this is better or worse than a previous one. I kinda didn't like the kick so I played with it more but I actually don't even know what is it supposed to sound like. Hmm, maybe it feels somewhat better, but it probably still needs some depth.

https://clyp.it/ro1tjyz5
>>
>>66433023
I liked the previous one with the delay better, it sounds more modern imo but that's just me
in my experience it'll only really start coming together once you have at least part of the melody in there so you have something to go by
at least I always have a hard time when I have nothing but the beat, creatively speaking
>>
>>66433145
Ok, thanks. But shit, I lack theory knowledge on that, I have to watch some more tutorials or read something on delay, in the previous version of the beat I literally just put an effect on a send and that's it, so I actually thought it didn't sound that good.

I'm now trying to understand what is happening with the beat in this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHP5MKgK0o8

Shit's not easy at all, maybe I took too big of a challenge for myself at the moment.
>>
>>66433404
Kek, just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6c-b0vLbU

If only remakes like these were actually good.
>>
>>66433404
just keep experimenting
I find it good practice to try and recreate instrumentals of songs you like, that way you understand how it all comes together and what makes it work
plus you discover subtle details that you might only subliminally hear when listening to it normally
it's super tedious (I spent around 3 days in total recreating a 30s section once) but it's a lot of fun too, sharpens your hearing and makes production more intuitive if you keep doing it
>>
I want this weird underwater bubble/arpeggiated synth effect, I've heard in thousands of songs but I cannot recreate for the life of me on my synth, it's right at the start of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSHXopRpJY

Halp me /prod/
>>
>start working on track
>get about a hour in
>release that I got absolutely no where
>close program and delete system 32

when does this meme end
>>
>>66428848
But how do I create a melody? Everything is so confusing, of course I'm not expecting to create a symphony but even if I play around with the daw I can't get much done.
>>
>>66435457
Or what are the best youtube tutorials or maybe other guides that can help me?
>>
>>66435457
it helps to know a bit about piano, or else you won't get much done in terms of harmony sections, unless you have a good ear for it. grab a cheap keyboard and start looking online for a few basic piano lessons, that really helped me a few years ago.
>>
File: crying cute anime girl bed.gif (499 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
crying cute anime girl bed.gif
499 KB, 500x281
>>66435715
I'm a NEET, I have no money to buy a keyboard or piano.
>>
>>66435777
you can't scrap together 20 dollars/euros and roll down to the thrift or second hand store to buy a toy piano? ok, so, I'm assuming >>66435668 is you, and if so, I can't help you there, but I can suggest that you simply start using all the black notes to write your music, this way you'll start having fun at least. then maybe you'll figure out a way to understand how pianos work and you'll be on your way to writing using other keys and scales and shit
>>
>>66435853
I live in a third world country, there are no thrift shops where I live, I have searched already but I can't find a cheap used keyboard. I'm saving for around 300 to drop for a keyboard but it will take me a bit.
>>
>>66435909
What country?
>>
is there a wiki/faq/guide for how to into prod for beginners
>>
>>66435909
Anon from >>66436880
I ask which country because I'm only concerned about shipping. I can send you something extra if you want to send me an address.
>>
>>66434672
I think the effect you're talking about is an arp'd synth with a envelope filter with a long release in combination with a lowpass filter that has a pretty high resonance. It also sounds like in that video the pitch of the synth might be being modulated a bit by a mod envelope. If this doesn't help, good luck on your journey.

>>66435040
What do you mean get nowhere? Like you just don't come up with anything good? That'll pass, and then soon you'll be coming up with stuff you think is good in the moment and then hating it the next day.

sad WIP:https://clyp.it/tzswjbdf
>>
>>66435040
>>start working on track
>>get about a hour in
>>release that I got absolutely no where
>>close program
You ever heard of perseverance motherfucker? You're DAW is like your car, you are in total control, if you realize you're not getting somewhere you like/want, then keep on going until you're there
>>
make a footwork song based off this sample;
https://clyp.it/o2hpw2hm (embed)

if u dare of course..;)
>>
>>66395029
very cheeky. I like it
>>
>>66420448
great. if you're still here could you tell us about the sound design? or anyone that knows, please. I'm really interested in making this kind of music
>>
>>66395029
i hope this is a joke
>>
>>66403258
>Also, those drums will definitely change, I hate them now. They are boring.

use a compresser and use a eq to boost the fuck out of the bass and the high ends and maybe some of the mids

i reccomend using a visual eq bc they are beautiful and god's gift to this earth
>>
Why even try you fucking losers lmao. get a job. there's enough privileged self-righteous people that think the "art" they make deserves to be listened by the world-
>>
File: image.jpg (525 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
525 KB, 1936x1936
Hey guys, I bought a shitty microphone off amazon, as well as an XLR to 1/4" cable and a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter so I could hopefully plug it into this once it comes in. I plugged the mic into my iphone today and tried to use it in GarageBand/voice memos and it didn't pick anything up. Will I need a preamp for it to work on the monotron?
>>
>spend hours on careful mixing
>be proud of what I hear
>export
>sound fucking horrible
is it a problem with fl sutido? is anyone else having it?

https://clyp.it/v0rftfjj
fucking help me, this was much much better on fl
>>
>>66398243
ya i just turn my volume all the way down and stuff my ears with breadcrumbs :^)
>>
I'm bored tbf
>>
>>66438903
I work 50 hours a week as a line cook nigga
I been on the streets nigga
I'm not fucking around nigga
I seen it from the bottom
All I can do is go up from here
And guess what nigga
I am
Nigga I am fucking doing it

Fuck that nigga spoutin off his own insecurities on this board

let him fail

let the ambitious niggas win

MY DESTINY FOR SUCCESS IS WOVEN INTO THE FABRIC OF THIS SHIT NIGGA GTFO
>>
>>66439372
eew blacks
>>
>>66439107
I see what you mean about how it sounds pretty muddy but I like the idea behind the track. I have no idea what the problem would be though, except that clyp.it might be fucked
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.