[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really enjoyed pic related and want to dive deeper into Midwestern
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: American_football_band_lp_cover.png (109 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
American_football_band_lp_cover.png
109 KB, 316x316
I really enjoyed pic related and want to dive deeper into Midwestern Emo, can anybody rec me some albums?
>>
Cap'n Jazz. That's all there is that is good.
>>
Owls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py3sI0kcIaE
>>
>>66337763
Don't bother, /emoe/ is awful and nothing even comes close to american football.I'd hardly even classify it as emo myself, it sounds so far from any other emo I've heard except for the couple that try to directly emulate them unsuccessfully
>>
>>66337857
well what genre do you think AF comes closer to? What would you recommend from that genre?
>>
>>66338005
I guess math rock with its complex and intertwining guitars but most math rock lacks the emotional depth of AF. That being said, I enjoy TTNG you should check them out. Not on the same level in terms of feels but the guitars are fantastic.
>>
>>66338073
alright i'll give em a listen, thanks anon
>>
>>66337763
Try toe: they aren't emo but they're pretty math-rocky and give the same kind of feeling as American football.
>>
>>66338113
No problem, also
>>66338160
Is a great rec, give them a try as well. Start with for long tomorrow
>>
>>66338160
alright i'll add em to the list, thanks anon.

so right now i've got:
Cap'n Jazz
Owls
This Town Needs Guns
Toe

does this seem like a good place to start?
>>
Clarity
>>
>>66337763
Sorry bro all the emo albums I know of northeastern
>>
>>66338972
Also clarity
>>
>>66337763
Picked it up yesterday (yes yes I know) and I really fucking enjoy this album too.
>>
>>66337763
Empire Empire I was A Lonely Estate
Cap'n Jazz
Dads
Old Grey
>>
>>66337763
Aside from what has been mentioned the I guess some good starting point bands for the midwest emo/mathrock sound are:

Algernon Cadwallader
Girlfriends
Snowing
Street Smart Cyclist
Grown Ups
Glocca Morra
Medications
>>
>>66337783
>>66337814
>>66338073
>>66338160
>>66338849
>>66338972
>>66339015
>>66339085
thanks for all the recs, guys. i'm writing them all down
>>
Johnny Foreigner just put out a new album, more on the noisy end but a number of AF-like moments throughout the discography.
>>
>>66339149
cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7-oQHkod0
>>
File: 1458092273856.png (3 MB, 1930x1391) Image search: [Google]
1458092273856.png
3 MB, 1930x1391
>>66337763
>>
>>66339149
While you are at it, look into everything that sprouted from Cap'n Jazz - there's quite a bit:

Joan of Arc
Braid
Owen
Make Believe

Do a bit of googling about Tim Kinsella - he's involved in a lot of that sound
>>
>>66339209
gee thanks man!
>>
Why do we have this thread everyday?

Are there really constantly people just discovering American Football and asking how to get into more midwest style emo or is this like a meme post

Also listen to Tiny Moving Parts
>>
>>66339263
np, friend
>>
>>66339304
i'm not memeing and i've never seen this thread very often. i've picking my favorite /mu/core albums and diving deeper, and this happened to be the album that peaked my interest most recently.
no shitposting was intended
>>
>>66339202
damn i really like this, is the whole album this good?
>>
>>66339335
Just making sure. I see threads like this pretty often, I think it's great more people are getting into this genre
>>
this is the pinnacle of the genre. takes a while to appreciate it though
>>
>>66340940
didnt even realize this was an album, just thought it was a meme picture
>>
>>66340985
nope. it's possibly the best album of all time mate not even joking
>>
>>66341088
i'll listen to it as soon as i'm done with the one i'm currently listening to
>>
Elliott- False Cathedrals is excellent and I never see anyone discuss it around here. It has a nice dreamy atmosphere along with the emo sound. The Hotelier is also pretty great.
>>
>>66341555
thanks!
>>
these aren't midwest emo but i think they give off a similar spirit to AF

https://hospitalsports.bandcamp.com/album/hospital-sports-2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9INO6a3LkWw
the van pelt are also very good
there's also the one up downstairs, which is the pre-AF band
>>
What it Takes To Move Forward by empire! empire! I was a lonely estate
>>
>>66337763
try the Brave Little Abacus, mathy emo with a vocalist who sounds like hes dying
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.