[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this album?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
Thoughts on this album?
>>
Greatest of their albums. Got into Yoshimi a lot easier for some reason, but this is definitely their best
>>
Babies first Pitchfork core
>>
Special Ed version of Mercury Rev.
>>
I never want to meet a flaming lips fan, put it that way
>>
It's a great and inventive album.
The hate it gets is really undeserved.
I've never heard anybody actually criticize the music. People only hate Wayne Coyne's ridiculous antics and personality. While their music is great, there are tons of reasons to dislike the band.

The hate for the band has also seemed to grow the last few years, accompanying the quality of the bands releases. Their recent releases such as With a Little Help From My Fwends, Flaming Side of the Moon and Miley And Her Dead Petz are all signs of this decline in quality. The band has almost become a parody of it self, and therefore get all this hate. Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi and Clouds Taste Metallic are all fantastic albums though, and they all deserve a listen.
>>
Was just listening to this! Soft bulletin and yoshimi are amazing Sunday chilling albums, go down smooth but lots of intricate layers to keep you interested. Never get tired of them no matter how many times I listen to them
>>
>>66307539
Lol no. At their best, Mercury Rev were better than the Flaming Lips ever were, but by the late 90's, they were no longer at their best. Their early approach to music was no longer there. Instead of blending whimsical with the bizarre and incorporating a weird, ironic attitude in their music, Mercury Rev had gone to constructing lush, complex symphonic pieces with an emotional arc, and when it came to that approach, the Flaming Lips definitely beat them. Deserter's Songs is a great album, but I think if you like Deserter's Songs and don't like the Soft Bulletin, then you've gotta be in some kind of denial, because the Soft Bulletin plainly did it better.
>>66306869
It feels less inspiring now, knowing what it was leading to, but just on it's own, it's a flawless masterpiece in pop.
>>
beautiful album, really emotional
>>
it's their second best album right after embryonic
>>
Besides a couple tracks, it was mostly a snoozefest for me.
>>
>>66308893
I disagree with that last statement. When they drop the gimmicks and do a legitimate Flaming Lips release it still ends up being pretty solid. Embryonic, The Terror and Peace Sword EP are all great.
>>
Whats the appeal?
>>
>>66309626
Lol go back to sipping coffee listening to Music For Airports or whatever on big, expensive Mickey Mouse headphones while wearing a bathrobe and slippers in your man cave.
>>
I listened to the soft bulletin probably once every couple years for the last 10 years. Maybe 4 times total. It was ok, but never really stood out to me. Then I decided to give it another shot this past Wednesday. Holy shit. It's fantastic. The first half is especially great. The second half is cool too. I've always loved Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, but never really got into the Flaming Lips much beyond that. But now I'm really excited to get into this band. Same thing happened to me a few years ago with Animal Collective and now they're my favorite band.
>>
I really hate the mixing on the drums.
>>
>>66306869
overrated, Clouds Taste Metallic and Yoshimi are far better
>>
>>66306869
It's the only of their albums I really, really like, especially after I made sure I had all the tracks from different releases (Euro, US, deluxe, etc)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.